Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never mind Brexit, Wilder, The Prince etc...... this is important.
Who the hell crossed that ball?šŸ˜

You started the bloody thread, Bert.

You must have envisaged that nearly three years and 12700 posts later weā€™d be having this very argument...

And, judging by that Liverpool team sheet, I am saying with some confidence that it wasnā€™t Lindsay who took it. Silent is human, after all.

Mind you, I can say with some confidence it wasnā€™t Cormack, either...

You started the bloody thread, Bert.

You must have envisaged that nearly three years and 12700 posts later weā€™d be having this very argument...

And, judging by that Liverpool team sheet, I am saying with some confidence that it wasnā€™t Lindsay who took it. Silent is human, after all.

Mind you, I can say with some confidence it wasnā€™t Cormack, either...
Indeed, Bert had this in mind when in his wisdom he started this thread. Who crossed that bloody ball?

Bert is travelling thousands of miles from home right now but he can't continue his journey until this condurum is solved.

I think it's the same building, just painted over. Here's a picture from 1981:

View attachment 62218
When I saw this photo I thought probably the geometry of the corner could have been altered from a bullnose, as I recall, to square. Then I saw your second, absolutely wonderful, photo and it was obvious it hadn't and my memory is shit. In the older photo it looks like a pub too with the sign on the wall. That's put my memory straight, thanks again for your assistance. The 1910'ish photo it's very evocative. chimneys of industry, railway overlooking houses, telephone communications, cars superseding horse drawn vehicles and folk of all ages, going about there business. Whoever took it had an eye for social history.

Thatā€™s not Lindsay, Silent, surely?

Lindsay had fair hair, a very distinctive straight-backed gait and was notoriously one-footed, his left. This cross is driven in by a dark haired guy with the outside of his right foot.

My guess would be Peter Cormack.
Not Lindsay šŸ˜§ or Cormack. Ian Ross

When I saw this photo I thought probably the geometry of the corner could have been altered from a bullnose, as I recall, to square. Then I saw your second, absolutely wonderful, photo and it was obvious it hadn't and my memory is shit. In the older photo it looks like a pub too with the sign on the wall. That's put my memory straight, thanks again for your assistance. The 1910'ish photo it's very evocative. chimneys of industry, railway overlooking houses, telephone communications, cars superseding horse drawn vehicles and folk of all ages, going about there business. Whoever took it had an eye for social history.
Also, the obligatory loose dog.

Yes, went to Ecclesall Juniors and High Storrs

View attachment 62189
Amazing what you learn on here. I am 6 months older than him, so he was the year below me at Ecclesall. I spent all my time playing football, and I never came across him. Why wasnā€™t he in Endcliffe, Bingham or Millhouses? Anyone know where he lived?
High Storrs has had some good footballers - Kyle Walker, Jack Lester, Steve Heighway. Any more?

Amazing what you learn on here. I am 6 months older than him, so he was the year below me at Ecclesall. I spent all my time playing football, and I never came across him. Why wasnā€™t he in Endcliffe, Bingham or Millhouses? Anyone know where he lived?
High Storrs has had some good footballers - Kyle Walker, Jack Lester, Steve Heighway. Any more?
Heighway left Ecclesall Juniors for High Stors in 1959. His last school was Moseley Hall Grammar School for Boys in Cheadle

Indeed, Bert had this in mind when in his wisdom he started this thread. Who crossed that bloody ball?

Bert is travelling thousands of miles from home right now but he can't continue his journey until this condurum is solved.
Never mind that. Was Hockey dropped for not marking his man? We won't stay up if we leave men unmarked.

Canā€™t be Ian Ross that crossed it he didnā€™t appear in our academy until the early 2000ā€™s

I read in a Sheffield forum that he lived around Whirlow Court Road and had an elder brother about 3 years older.

Foulke used his money well, had a shop on Asline Rd., off Bramall Lane, and another shop nearer town, believe both at the same time at one point. Understand he also ran a pub or two also, quite the business man between eating pies and kicking a bag of wind.
He also had greyhounds which he used to race. My grandfather trained them for him and was a good friend of his.

Ah. The Great Britain. My dad's pre match drinking venue. I can remember many hours waiting outside in the back yard with a bottle of pop and a packet of Nibbits. If it was particularly cold they would let me sit behind the bar in an old armchair facing a coal fire. If you looked one way you could imagine sitting in your own front rom, while behind you the bar pumps were working overtime.

Ah. The Great Britain. My dad's pre match drinking venue. I can remember many hours waiting outside in the back yard with a bottle of pop and a packet of Nibbits. If it was particularly cold they would let me sit behind the bar in an old armchair facing a coal fire. If you looked one way you could imagine sitting in your own front rom, while behind you the bar pumps were working overtime.

Never heard of it! Where was it please?

Never heard of it! Where was it please?
Top end of John Street towards London Road And on the same side as the Cricketers. Sadly no longer there. The last time I was in there must have been the late 1970s and it didn't seem much different from when I went there as a nipper.

Top end of John Street towards London Road And on the same side as the Cricketers. Sadly no longer there. The last time I was in there must have been the late 1970s and it didn't seem much different from when I went there as a nipper.

Thanks - I started boozing in the early 80s so probably just before my time. Still strange that Iā€™ve never heard of it.

Back
Top Bottom