McCabe's last stand at the Copthorne!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One thing I keep wondering is; was K Mc given bad advice (regarding the 5 million offer to trigger the events that took place) or did he get better advice and choose to ignore it?

Absolutely no shock that an appeal is looming.

Points of clarification from my earlier posts;

If McCabe decided not to appeal, to save face, is my view and not expressed at the meeting.

SUL own the ground and Shirecliff training ground only and have huge, but unstated debts to Scarborough, which will not be covered by whatever the Prince has to pay. Scarborough own the hotel, business center and Crookes, which the Prince has also to buy, which is the only part of the judgment McCabe won (though significant as the trigger for the court case).

McCabe was still in combative mode, but more measured and likes to slip into bigger blade (northern lad done good mode) than deal with the factual bussiness questions asked. It is a shareholders meeting after a high profile court case that finally confirms our shares are worthless, after all. With the suggestion that if he (we as shareholders) had won our shares would be worth more.

The court date on the 14th will confim how and when the £5m transaction will take place, hear any grounds for appeal and award costs.

Next meeting he may bring Tuton (FD) along so he can tell us about how much he has put into the club.

Over and out until the next last stand, after the hearing on the 14th.

Agree, there were concerns about Robson’s managerial ability but that wasn’t the reason for appointing him.
The irony is that year is the most ambitious the club has been in its history.
McCabe wanted world domination, he was involved with Chegdu Blades, Ferencvsros, West Coast Mariners and even a Brazilian team.
Although we liked Warnock, on the international stage he wasn’t a good “face” for our club. Most people overseas had never even heard of Neil Warnock.

However Brian Robson was Captain Marvel, a Man Utd and England legend known through out the world.
Having him as the face of the club would have a Frank Lampard effect, we were able to attract Cahill and Egiogue, just because of Robson.

Robson’s cv was better than Warnock because he’d not only won a promotion from the Championship but also (unlike NW) won a relegation battle in the PL.
Many thought (including me) Robbo was on the way down so the board appointed the highly rated Brian Kidd as his assistant.
Yes, the same Brian Kidd who is now with Guardiola at Man City. Kidd had also been a manager himself at Blackburn,
so the theory was the double act of the 2 Brian’s would be the dream team solution.

I remember Robson’s 1st few matches, we controlled possession playing slow patient football, there were few chances at either end.
Our fans couldn’t handle the massive culture shock compared to Warnocks high tempo direct...plenty of action in both penalty areas style.
Our defenders would pass it amongst themselves....and you’d hear our fans “just smash it up field`’
Robson eventually changed his style and started playing more direct but half the team preferred to play the patient passing game
So we became stuck in between styles as though the players didn’t know what they were supposed to do.
My memories of Robson were the terrible post match interviews as though he was in another planet or drunk.
Every single post match interview was exactly the same regardless of the performance or result, it’s as though he wasn’t watching the match.
Exact mate

Agree, there were concerns about Robson’s managerial ability but that wasn’t the reason for appointing him.
McCabe wanted world domination, he was involved with Chegdu Blades, Ferencvsros, West Coast Mariners and even a Brazilian team.
Although we liked Warnock, on the international stage he wasn’t a good “face” for our club. Most people overseas had never even heard of Neil Warnock.

However Brian Robson was Captain Marvel, a Man Utd and England legend known through out the world.
Having him as the face of the club would have a Frank Lampard effect, we were able to attract Cahill and Egiogue, just because of Robson.

Robson’s cv was better than Warnock because he’d not only won a promotion from the Championship but also (unlike NW) won a relegation battle in the PL.
Many thought (including me) Robbo was on the way down so the board appointed the highly rated Brian Kidd as his assistant.
Yes, the same Brian Kidd who is now with Guardiola at Man City. Kidd had also been a manager himself at Blackburn,
so the theory was the double act of the 2 Brian’s would be the dream team solution.

I remember Robson’s 1st few matches, we controlled possession playing slow patient football, there were few chances at either end.
Our fans couldn’t handle the massive culture shock compared to Warnocks high tempo direct...plenty of action in both penalty areas style.
Our defenders would pass it amongst themselves....and you’d hear our fans “just smash it up field`’
Robson eventually changed his style and started playing more direct but half the team preferred to play the patient passing game
So we became stuck in between styles as though the players didn’t know what they were supposed to do.
My memories of Robson were the terrible post match interviews as though he was in another planet or drunk.
Every single post match interview was exactly the same regardless of the performance or result, it’s as though he wasn’t watching the match.
Always thought K Keegan was the choice if he was ever interested. Had won promotions Fulham Citeh and that Newcastle team.
Given the same money, he would have attracted the right players, played some good football, and we'd have just loved it.
Like were are now.

Points of clarification from my earlier posts;

If McCabe decided not to appeal, to save face, is my view and not expressed at the meeting.

SUL own the ground and Shirecliff training ground only and have huge, but unstated debts to Scarborough, which will not be covered by whatever the Prince has to pay. Scarborough own the hotel, business center and Crookes, which the Prince has also to buy, which is the only part of the judgment McCabe won (though significant as the trigger for the court case).

McCabe was still in combative mode, but more measured and likes to slip into bigger blade (northern lad done good mode) than deal with the factual bussiness questions asked. It is a shareholders meeting after a high profile court case that finally confirms our shares are worthless, after all. With the suggestion that if he (we as shareholders) had won our shares would be worth more.

The court date on the 14th will confim how and when the £5m transaction will take place, hear any grounds for appeal and award costs.

Next meeting he may bring Tuton (FD) along so he can tell us about how much he has put into the club.

Over and out until the next last stand, after the hearing on the 14th.

SUL’s 2018 accounts show that amounts owed to related parties and group undertakings amount to £41m. That’s not likely to have been reduced since.

Robson could attract good players but didn't seem able to organise or motivate them.
It's almost as if he was brought in to be someone Kev could wheel out at his business deals, with managing the team as a sideline. Kidd is highly rated, but not sure what he actually did at BDTBL? Took training while Robbo explored the drinks cabinet?

One thing I never get with our fans. If you're going to blame McCabe for his managerial appointments, you have to at least credit him with Wilder. To do so isn't very fair on the man.

Even though he was advised years before to give Wilder a chance but chose to ignore that and appoint other managers without management experience in some cases?

McCabe appointed Wilder because he had failed yet again with appointing a manager who was the biggest plonker ever and he was looking desperately now for a low budget option. He finally took the advice offered by Bassett and gave Chris his chance.

Sorry, that’s serendipity. There’s a difference in that and making wise, well-thought out decisions that pay off.

Even though he was advised years before to give Wilder a chance but chose to ignore that and appoint other managers without management experience in some cases?

McCabe appointed Wilder because he had failed yet again with appointing a manager who was the biggest plonker ever and he was looking desperately now for a low budget option. He finally took the advice offered by Bassett and gave Chris his chance.

Sorry, that’s serendipity. There’s a difference in that and making wise, well-thought out decisions that pay off.

Also, Wilder was very close to going to Charlton by the time McCabe made a move for him.

Also, Wilder was very close to going to Charlton by the time McCabe made a move for him.

Yes absolutely. He wasn’t convinced about Wilder at all and had to be persuaded heavily. If it wasn’t for the fact that Bassett was liaising between the two (telling Wilder to hold off and McCabe to hurry up) then it would never had happened.

Positives:
Improved the ground (but it still looks outdated).

Negatives:
Oversaw our longest ever period outside the top 2 divisions.
Continually sold our best players - often for less than they were worth.
Showed no ambition - but made the club an unattractive proposition for any potential buyer due to his unreasonable demands.
Disappeared when things were not going well.
Appointed several poor managers.
Totally overplayed the “there’s no bigger Blade than me” card.
Poor communicator who came across as prickly and accepted no criticism.

HOPE come the 14th Kev sees sense, does whats best for the club, and forgets an appeal!
All the club has to do (probably!) is to pay the independent valuation for the assets as a a PL club.
Both owners contributed equally to our promotions but KMcC already owned said assets before HRH came on board.

Robson could attract good players but didn't seem able to organise or motivate them
I thought that was the reason he was appointed - to use his contacts to attract good (better!) players to the club

Yes absolutely. He wasn’t convinced about Wilder at all and had to be persuaded heavily. If it wasn’t for the fact that Bassett was liaising between the two (telling Wilder to hold off and McCabe to hurry up) then it would never had happened.

When did he turn Wilder down? Which season?

Your race has run Kevin.

Thanks for your financial commitment over many years but please now show good grace and accept the court's judgement to get what you would have got had the Prince matched your offer as he could have done.

Was not going to bother, but may as well get some entertainment for my money.

Hope he does not embarased himself, I'm greatfull for him taking us from a 3 sided ground and training on any spare pirce of grass we could get. But from 2008 its been a bit of a shambles.

We are just lucky Wilder landed in his lap.

So who is going to ask, 'So Kev you are getting £5m for the club, £40m? for the ground and £x?m of loans back. What are we getting for pur investment?'

Not very clued up on Blades history are you pal.

Did anyone go? Did the big question get asked - Cappachino or Expresso.

Alan Hodgkinson recommended Wilder as well . Hodgy new a good manager he worked for Ferguson amongst others .
It's ironic McCabe finally turns to Wilder and promptly loses the club..
I've always backed McCabe as he took on the club when it was struggling , carried us when we were down unfortunately he has made a catalogue of mistakes and now sees it drifting away from him.
He has lost money but how many club owners make a profit (are you listening prince ) owning a club? very few.

His parents stood about his Bed
Lamenting his Untimely Death,
When Kevin with his Latest Breath,
Cried: “Oh, my Friends, be warned by me
That Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch and Tea
Are all the Human Frame requires . . .”
With that the Wretched Child expires.

Back
Top Bottom