Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What exactly is he doing in that picture? It looks like he’s not actually a keeper, he’s just trying it to see if he likes it.
I see your point, but believe it's a photo with no ball on so one has been painted on negative by some cross eyed southerner. Looks like a Charles Buchan Football Monthly, they often retouched individual player photos. Regarding Des Thompson, or "Daz" as he was known in some parlances, I saw him play on numerous occasions mostly in reserves. Memory say he was a steady keeper and reliable being well thought of by many supporters, surprised but glad to see him in a national magazine. Apparently his father played pro. for Southampton (14), brother George, two years older, over 400 league appearances for many clubs including FA Cup runners up medal 1954 with PNE. Des's league record with United, as said 25 played, of which 9 wins, 4 draws and 12 losses. Also 1 League Cup appearance a loss with 1 County Cup Semi won and 3 Finals all wins, not all that bad then.

brother George, two years older, over 400 league appearances for many clubs including FA Cup runners up medal 1954 with PNE..

Broke Dooley's leg in a 50-50 collision but unfortunately Dooley had to have his leg amputated

Broke Dooley's leg in a 50-50 collision but unfortunately Dooley had to have his leg amputated
Thanks for that info SB (the font of...….United), must have known that at the time, what a 'hula baloo' there was but times got the better of me again. Remember reading of it in the Telegraph and the Star and discussions with family and friends. Also went to the match at Owlerton, not a benefit match forget how they termed it, between Sheffield XI and International XI. Know Stan Mathews played and Sir James for Ints. XI. Probably Ted Burgin and Jackie Sewell for Sheff XI. I'll seek out programme and put it up at a later date.

I seem to remember Des Thompson playing one of his very few first team games at Forest on Boxing day 1963.The City ground was an absolute mud heap and we were hammered in the first half,from memory i'm pretty sure we were losing 3-0 at half time and old Des had a nightmare.They had a nippy winger Ian Storey-Moore and he tore us apart,he certainly scored at least two and we expected a real hammering in the second half.However,in true blades style we pulled it round and ended up with a great 3-3 draw against all the odds,mainly due to a great performance in the second half by Len Allchurch.

I seem to remember Des Thompson playing one of his very few first team games at Forest on Boxing day 1963.The City ground was an absolute mud heap and we were hammered in the first half,from memory i'm pretty sure we were losing 3-0 at half time and old Des had a nightmare.They had a nippy winger Ian Storey-Moore and he tore us apart,he certainly scored at least two and we expected a real hammering in the second half.However,in true blades style we pulled it round and ended up with a great 3-3 draw against all the odds,mainly due to a great performance in the second half by Len Allchurch.
Boxing Day 1963.jpg

Yup, 0-3 down at HT and drew 3-3 Mick Jones (2) and Len Allchurch. This Boxing Day game was played on a Thursday and - as was the custom around holidays back then - the 'return leg' was played at Bramall Lane 2 days later. We lost that game 1-2.

Des Thompson's appearances were limited as Hodgy was our number one (or 'imcumbent' or 'custodian between the sticks' as was the vernacular back then :D). He only played 3 league games in the 59-60 season, 1 in 60-61, 1 in 61-62, one League Cup game in 62-63 and 7 league games in 63-64.

Anyway, 'Old Photos...'

moss.jpg

(Ernie) Moss heads a typical goal for Port Vale during a match against Sheffield United

(one for Silent Blade ? I'm not sure that this pic. was 'a typical goal'. I think it's Stewart Houston and Bob Hatton playing for us so that would be a 2-0 win for us in the Fourth Division at Vale (Oct. 10, 1981???)

Yup, 0-3 down at HT and drew 3-3 Mick Jones (2) and Len Allchurch. This Boxing Day game was played on a Thursday and - as was the custom around holidays back then - the 'return leg' was played at Bramall Lane 2 days later. We lost that game 1-2.

Des Thompson's appearances were limited as Hodgy was our number one (or 'imcumbent' or 'custodian between the sticks' as was the vernacular back then :D). He only played 3 league games in the 59-60 season, 1 in 60-61, 1 in 61-62, one League Cup game in 62-63 and 7 league games in 63-64.

Anyway, 'Old Photos...'

View attachment 51472

(Ernie) Moss heads a typical goal for Port Vale during a match against Sheffield United

(one for Silent Blade ? I'm not sure that this pic. was 'a typical goal'. I think it's Stewart Houston and Bob Hatton playing for us so that would be a 2-0 win for us in the Fourth Division at Vale (Oct. 10, 1981???)
Just what I was thinking. Over to Silent then.

Weren't we playing Northampton away that day and the away fans were kept in for a while after the match?
Yes we were ,I was there ,ironically we sneaked in through the cricket pavilion ,on that day of all days. Rumours started spreading during the game ,but we thought it was violence ,then the stories started getting more serious and they asked us over the tannoy to stay after the game. The players also stayed on the pitch (we won btw) and they announced an incident had occurred and we could ring a certain number or contact a police officer. Walking back to the car some Northampton fans unbelievably tried it on and they were told to fuck off sharpish. We tried to watch through a TV shop window and then went to Loughboro for a night out ,suffering a blow out on the M1 on the way. got home in the small hours and went to my Mums in Loxley the following morning passing Hillsboro on the way ,it was awful seeing traumatised Liverpool fans just wandering round. When I got to my Mums she said they had received calls from all over the world asking if I was OK . People putting football and Sheffield together and coming up with 5 ,but it was pre mobile phone days so they had to wait but my Mum knew I would be at Northampton if Utd were playing.
Can remember that day like it was yesterday ,but struggle to remember this morning.

Anyway, 'Old Photos...'

View attachment 51472

Yes, you are right, Port Vale didnt score in that match. Yes, Houston and Hatton

Back
Top Bottom