The Blades player who made me fall in love with football was.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Colin Morris and Keith Edwards for me.

It is worth noting that there is a whole fresh new generation of Sheffield United supporting children who will all respond with the name Billy Sharp when they are asked in 30 years time.
Only his third spell, amazingly.
Got better with a good manager , and with age.

great OP and tough call

prob have to be Tony Agana , one of very first games vs preston NE at Home 3-1 i think and Tony scored a beauty one on one and just remember how cooly he did it and would try (and fail) to finish one on ones like that in the playground !

Both Dane and Deano also cemented the love !

great OP and tough call

prob have to be Tony Agana , one of very first games vs preston NE at Home 3-1 i think and Tony scored a beauty one on one and just remember how cooly he did it and would try (and fail) to finish one on ones like that in the playground !

Both Dane and Deano also cemented the love !
Preston goal, a flying header own goal by Paul Stancliffe.
Brian Smith got a career ending broken leg that day.

Michael Brown and Michael Tonge in the 02/03 season. First year I had a ST at 8 :D
This. I had a season ticket before then but I can't remember any games.

Special shout out for Dean Hammond too, for making me feel like there was a chance I could still pull on the shirt.

I come from a very large family of almost exclusively Wednesday. The exception being my late cousin Mick who was a Blade. Mick was my idol, maybe because he was different and always had a smile on his face. He would talk about Hagan and Shaw, but the name I remember most was Ted Burgin. Can't ever remember seeing him, but I certainly did.

Ted Burgin did it for me.

My first game at BDTBL was as a 14 year old kid, watching us beat the Pigs 3-2.
Never seen anything like it. TC was my big hero back in those days, but it was the atmosphere on the kop that did it for me. Pure magic...when I got used to it, by the end of the season, I loved crowd surfing after we scored a goal. I often used to start in the middle of the kop, leap up when we scored, and the sway used to take me down down, down, towards the front. :cool:
I loved the team, but the very special atmosphere on the kop was sensational...

special mention for Keith Waugh too as I was an aspiring young net tender myself..

Good shout! I used to 'be' Keith Waugh on the big field at Dobcroft Middle School. I didn't feel like I'd fully transformed into him until I did a full slide to collect the ball, and cake one half of my shorts and green goalie top in mud.

This. I had a season ticket before then but I can't remember any games.

Special shout out for Dean Hammond too, for making me feel like there was a chance I could still pull on the shirt.

Good times them mate. Far too innocent to understand the heartbreak that season ended with.

I used to turn up to my U9’s Sunday League games pretending I was Tonge. Guessing there are kids that age now doing the same about Duffy, Sharp etc.

Marcelo

Remember him from being about 7/8 years old, thinking his hair was similar to mine and he was Brazilian (it was, he wasn't).

Was something special about a player that had a single name, made me think of Ronaldo.

Bizarre remembering that, can't really remember much else about watching that team apart from Alan Kelly, and Simon Tracey because we share a surname.

upload_2019-2-15_11-3-55.jpeg

Still my favourite United shirt to this day. My uncle bought me one from the club shop and it was more like a dress. Wouldn't take it off though!

(The season that really got me going was 2002/03, but I couldn't put that down to just one player. It was the whole team that year, the fans, the cup runs, the late goals...incredible. Think I've missed about 10 home games in total since that season.)

TC and Woodward, the best pairing I will ever see in Blades shirts........those were the days. UTB

Before I was old enough to go to games on my own I had to get my fix of football from newspaper reports & what my dad told me about the games, & at that time is was Hodgy & Woody. Being able to go on my own meant it timed perfectly with TC arriving at the Lane, & of course I fell in love with him, & the Blades even more, he was the perfect hero with a great personality on the pitch, flowing blond locks, outrageous skills, what a great time to be a Sheffield United supporter. What is happening at BDTBL at the moment is rekindling that feeling too.

Marcelo

Remember him from being about 7/8 years old, thinking his hair was similar to mine and he was Brazilian (it was, he wasn't).

Was something special about a player that had a single name, made me think of Ronaldo.

Bizarre remembering that, can't really remember much else about watching that team apart from Alan Kelly, and Simon Tracey because we share a surname.

View attachment 49709

Still my favourite United shirt to this day. My uncle bought me one from the club shop and it was more like a dress. Wouldn't take it off though!

(The season that really got me going was 2002/03, but I couldn't put that down to just one player. It was the whole team that year, the fans, the cup runs, the late goals...incredible. Think I've missed about 10 home games in total since that season.)
He is Brazilian. Born in Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro state.

He is Brazilian. Born in Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro state.

Ahh my mistake, I know most of his career was in Portugal, that's what I was thinking of :oops:

Edit: Wikipedia says his parents were Portugese but was born in Brazil. Then again, Wikipedia also said that Charlie Sheen was half man, half cocaine...

Alan Kelly.

Non Blades wise it was Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton.

Ahh my mistake, I know most of his career was in Portugal, that's what I was thinking of :oops:

Edit: Wikipedia says his parents were Portugese but was born in Brazil. Then again, Wikipedia also said that Charlie Sheen was half man, half cocaine...
I genuinely recall informing Wikipedia about their entry about Kevin Blackwell, former goalkeeper and fat useless bastard it said..No word of a lie.

image.jpg

This fella.

Non blades player for me... Waddle. Before he went to Wednesday

Ha ha yeah, i almost went controversial and added David Hirst as a none Blades player. He was exceptional to watch, like Deano

Waddle was immense at in his prime at Marseille and Spurs

Deano, Ian Bryson and Simon Tracey; the 3rd division promotion team got me hooked and i'm no better 30 years later. Even the likes of Martin Pike, Bob Booker, Stan and Peter Duffield make me think of happy times. Got a feeling this current crop of players will do likewise for my kids. UTB.

Back
Top Bottom