We’ve got to say

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The only error we've made is limiting our pool of players to buy from by insisting on British - and I even get that in a way. You are trying to protect the culture/togetherness. I just think we could be braver and get more value.

He's done a wonderful job overall. I'm guilty of finding this summer infuriating but only from the point of view of wanting the team to improve.

But errors? When you're pulling from the bargain bin you aren't going to hit every time. JOC, Fleck, Clarke, Baldock, Stearman, Blackman - all brought in for about 15% of Jordan Rhodes. I'd say he's still in credit by a long way

I’ve “got to say” that that Ricky ’s constant posting about how he “can’t trust a word Wilder says” anymore really get on my nerves. I’ve never known us have a more honest manager.

Granted, in his post-match interviews (particularly after a loss) he can be a bit defiant and stubborn, as is the case when someone is passionate and riding high on emotion. However, he never shirks and you can guarantee in his reflective interview he gives a few days later, he is honest and measured. He spent 20 minutes the other day openly answering almost every question we’ve been asking on here. He’s a very decent man.

Unitedites backed Dave Bassett in noise and numbers when we failed to win our first 16 games in 1990. He led us to better things in the end.

I firmly believe that our fans (perhaps football fans generally) have degraded in character as the culture of football has deteriorated over the years.

A few puzzling decisions notwithstanding, the implication that Chris Wilder should somehow be on borrowed time is ludicrous. Many of us have stood by managers not fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as CW for a lot longer. He has earned the right to be shown a lot more faith than he has been from some supporters. I can think of NOBODY I would rather have at the helm than him.

Is that blind adoration? No, it's looking at things in the context of his tenure at Bramall Lane and concluding that somebody who pulled us up from the gutter and had us still in with a chance of a play-off spot with 44 games played last season deserves at the very least our support and perseverance.
Top post Basher
Nowt else to say

I’ve “got to say” that that Ricky ’s constant posting about how he “can’t trust a word Wilder says” anymore really get on my nerves. I’ve never known us have a more honest manager.

Granted, in his post-match interviews (particularly after a loss) he can be a bit defiant and stubborn, as is the case when someone is passionate and riding high on emotion. However, he never shirks and you can guarantee in his reflective interview he gives a few days later, he is honest and measured. He spent 20 minutes the other day openly answering almost every question we’ve been asking on here. He’s a very decent man.

He's going a bit "Nigel-y", and there's every chance it will just grow to the point of consuming him.

The best manager of the last 30 years Ferguson purchased some right dumplings. Name me a manager who hasn't bought the odd duffer. Wilder buys at the bargain basement end of the market so some will disappoint

More or less exactly what I was going to write, we don't waste money, if the player doesn't work, he gets moved on. Wilder has brought us the best football we've seen in years, remember where we were, look where we are. Have a bit of patience and faith

Stick by him? And only "for now"?
He is literally the the best man in football for the job and we don't know how lucky we are to have him.
Fans like you deserve a lifetime of Cloughs and Adams.
Egan WILL get stronger, the City lad will come in, Woodburn will be fire and the Evans replacement will be an improvement almost definatley.
2 of our best ever seasons behind us and your loyalty wades after 2 games. It says more about some of you as people as it does as football fans.
I've been so embarassed this week on here.
We’ll see how he addresses today’s game selection wise and tactically because we’re up against it
I’ll be there to witness it.
Will you.?

We’ll see how he addresses today’s game selection wise and tactically because we’re up against it
Will you.?
Whats being there to see if got to.do with anything?
No I wont, I go on holiday at 11. You don't need to try and play the bigger blade card though because if you're like your post and you moan, groan and probably even boo after things don't go right then it's probably better if you missed a couple of games as well.

Will you.?
Good for you feller ! If you're going all that way you may as well leave the sword of Damocles at home, Chris and the boys will be much better off I promise you.

Unitedites backed Dave Bassett in noise and numbers when we failed to win our first 16 games in 1990. He led us to better things in the end.

I firmly believe that our fans (perhaps football fans generally) have degraded in character as the culture of football has deteriorated over the years.

A few puzzling decisions notwithstanding, the implication that Chris Wilder should somehow be on borrowed time is ludicrous. Many of us have stood by managers not fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as CW for a lot longer. He has earned the right to be shown a lot more faith than he has been from some supporters. I can think of NOBODY I would rather have at the helm than him.

Is that blind adoration? No, it's looking at things in the context of his tenure at Bramall Lane and concluding that somebody who pulled us up from the gutter and had us still in with a chance of a play-off spot with 44 games played last season deserves at the very least our support and perseverance.
Absolutely brilliant post. I remember that 16 game winless streak very well but still had confidence that we’d be fine.
I’ve got complete confidence in wilder who is having to work under difficult financial constraints while our co owners chuck their toys out of their prams and then resort to being 8 year olds in a school yard saying I’m not your friend anymore for some silly reason. It’ll be interesting to see who arrives over the next 3 weeks.
Here’s hoping for a positive result today!.
In wilder we trust. UTB

All managers make ‘bad’ signings, I have never seen a manager be more decisive in rectifying his bad signings than Wilder.

Tbh CW's recruitment success isn't that impressive with quite a few notable flops or meh players.

His strength is not in recruitment but he's never had the backing to buy ready proven players so we understand some will fit some won't. It's a bit like picking up piece after piece in a jigsaw and trying it in a gap to see if it fits the picture.

His strength is the team he puts together is stronger than the sum of its parts and he can't get wins with average players. That's why it's been frustrating recently, that bit of magic has not been working and the result is only 8 wins in 32 games.

So, maybe he has maxed out that ability and it's time to change strategy and I think that's what the 'moaners' are asking for, I certainly am. As previously quoted Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome (not verbatim Sean Thornton ).

Im hoping these next 3 signings he has promised will define a change in the way we play just as he did when he first came in and changed to 3 at the back and wing backs. That system is well and truly sussed and we don't need another Clough with no plan B.

So an interesting month. 12 points up for grabs before the window closes and we play Villa at home. By then our team for the next 4/5 months is decided, how we play and the points we get will decide his future. There's no question of replacing him before then and the fans will be behind him and the team hoping it's sorted. But if it's not..........

This........

Stick by him? And only "for now"?
He is literally the the best man in football for the job and we don't know how lucky we are to have him.
Fans like you deserve a lifetime of Cloughs and Adams.
Egan WILL get stronger, the City lad will come in, Woodburn will be fire and the Evans replacement will be an improvement almost definatley.
2 of our best ever seasons behind us and your loyalty wades after 2 games. It says more about some of you as people as it does as football fans.
I've been so embarassed this week on here.

And especially this...........

Can’t criticise his signings too much as he hasn’t been realistically backed by the tossers who own the club.

I’m more concerned over the current selction and tactical Paralysis that seems to have afflicted him. That’s the main thing that has to change.

We will stick by him (for now) but CW has made some bad errors in the transfer market

Relatively speaking he was the second most successful in the league last season. After Neil Harris.700 grand was Wilder's most expensive acquisition. Incredible really.

Are spot on - the latter being the most sensible post on here for a long time!!!!

He has a bit of wiggle room yet until some smartarse gives him a hilarious nickname

As do most managers. Where he differs is he just sorts it and moves on (eg Hussey,Wilson,Evans) unlike others who go into denial (eg Hammond,Butler,Wallace)

Butler played one League Cup game, scored and was then binned. How quickly did you want it sorting!? :)

I’d happily take his hit-rate over any other Blades manager in my lifetime.

I’m actually a huge wilder fan and don’t understand the criticism he’s getting, but is is success rate that good? Still seems quite poor to me. 1 in 4 hit maybe?

Did you not refer to all our team as shitcunts?!!

I don't think anyone other than the loan lunatic who lives in a house with his dead mother, waiting for a chance to reek revenge on the world, is saying Wilder is on borrowed time.

Many are just frustrated. We'll still fully back the manager and players when they're on the pitch, but we can see that we've done little to address the problems we've had all year. There's also frustration at the Board and their continued lack of proper investment. Certain things aren't helped by being given unrealistic expectations.

Decent call from Dave at 55:45 on last night's Football Heaven. Even Danny04 gets a mention:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06d065k

I wouldn't bother with the rest of the prog. As ever, Sad Bastard Mick is the first caller - he must sit in his Pitsmoor slum just waiting for 6 'OClock to come round.

Icing on the cake with that was because it was a really good call he was kept on for longer, allowing Staton to then (no doubt gleefully) end the programme with “sorry Brian, we haven’t got time to get you on”.

I’m actually a huge wilder fan and don’t understand the criticism he’s getting, but is is success rate that good? Still seems quite poor to me. 1 in 4 hit maybe?

I think the main thing is that his “misses” have all been low cost, low risk moves that have either cost little and have been sorted quickly; theres not one that you think was a disaster that cost us hugely in the pitch or financially. Whilst his “hits” have been great bits of business that have had huge impacts. Its the product of not spunking millions on individuals, I guess.

A superb post, but I wouldn't agree with 'our fans...character...etc.' We've only had a year since our 6 'lost' years in Division One. We stood by the team then as we always have.

upload_2018-8-11_9-51-38.png

That 1990-91 season was somehting else. Just 4 points won as we went into Game 17 - at home to Forest. Then in January 1991 we beat Derby (H), Southampton (H), Everton (A), Man. U. (H), Villa (H), Sunderland (A) and Chelsea (H) in consecutive games!

Final point. How would Pep Guardiola fare with CWs budget?

What most posters can't comprehend is that the problem is not Wilder but the board (and I'm not referring the recent spat either). Wilder's record in the transfer market is not exactly stellar but this is a symptom of the problem, not the cause, i.e. Mr McCawber. Until he goes, it doesn't matter who we get as manager, we will still be perennial failures. The problem is getting him to let go, the convoluted arrangement he has with the assets prohibits this. But then to be critical of KM is just as likely to create the same shitstorm on this forum as it is to criticise Wilder. The JTW was a wasted opportunity of massive proportions. Another £3m, which is fucking peanuts, would have done the job in my opinion and Wilder would have his statue in the car park already. Having said that, Wilder has to accept some of the culpability in who he brought in, he needs to drop the wage ceiling and look further afield, that's about my only criticism of him. Otherwise carry on Chris.

Back
Top Bottom