What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bury away 14th Jan 2012 was bitterly cold. We took up 3 sides of the ground that day.

Also Villa at home 28th Jan 1996. Savo Milosevic tripped over fresh air to win an pen so the Kop started pelting him with snowballs. Dwight Yorke scored the resulting penno.

Was that the game where we were absolutely terrible and Morgs scored in the last minute?

I remember being so thoroughly pissed off at the performance/weather/day in general that I could barely raise myself to celebrate that goal.

I too think it was uninspiring and was just bloody freezing.
Am sure Morgs scored, but not sure when

UTB

Not strictly Utd related but relevant to the topic, I remember playing for St James Norton Cubs team, must have been mid 80's, up on the worlds sloppiest pitches in the highest most exposed part of Graves Park. It must have been minus 10 and all we wanted to do was huddle up like penguins. One lad asked his dad if he could come off as sub and he got he biggest bollocking of his life for being nesh :D:D:D

Have to concur with what a few have already mentioned, the Bob Booker Mansfield away game in 1989, it were f***ing brass monkeys that neet. Freezing temperatures, biting wind, snow, sleet, had it all. Stood on the terrace in front of the stand first half, second half went behind the goal, which was actually not as cold. Booker was brilliant that night and changed a few fans impression of him (me included). I joined in the pitch invasion at the end and went flying on the snow/sleet covered pitch (partly due to the non-grip slip-on shoes I was wearing, all the rage in the 80s!), only reason I didn't end up on my arse was that I crashed into Deano!

Other 'honourable' mentions for Newcastle away season after, made worse by a 2 hour journey there with the bus having no heating. Sunderland away in late 1995, the one Brownie mentioned, was another brass monkeys afternoon, freezing temperatures, freezing wind blowing off the north sea, sleet, snow, dire Blades performance, rabid Mackems, welcome to Joker Park! Only plus, I was at Sunderland Uni at the time and back home in student digs within 5 minutes of the final whistle.

I have family from Plymouth and they were up in Sheffield whilst Plymouth Argyle were due to play at Hillsboro.

It was a Tuesday night match about 8 years ago, if was about minus 2 during the day
But predicted to go down to about minus 8 during the night.
My family has already decided they weren’t going to go due to the extreme coldness
and I remember thinking Wednesday would get one of their lowest ever crowds.

At about 4pm the match was called off due to a frozen pitch.
Apparently someone at S6 (probably deliberatiely) forgot to turn the undersoil heating on.

Newcastle away 1993 stood on open terrace corner, in the snow, lost 4-0, had bought a new United scarf which got binned after the game as if was obviously unlucky. Only smile raised was by the Newcastle fan, obviously not all with it, shouting comments from their stand. Never been so cold.

Newcastle away 1993 stood on open terrace corner, in the snow, lost 4-0, had bought a new United scarf which got binned after the game as if was obviously unlucky. Only smile raised was by the Newcastle fan, obviously not all with it, shouting comments from their stand. Never been so cold.
remember that one , thought I was goiing to emulate Scott of the antarctic and lose my toes
bleak , describes Newcastle ever so well

Bert still hasn't thawed out. View attachment 36885
index.php

Shame the price wasn't frozen at 14 quid.o_O

I think it was crewe at the lane?Bobby Ford era.Friday night methinks on sky,Pissing it down with snow, touch and go wether it was going ahead,sat warm and cosy in the Birley hoping it was called off when the old man pulled up for my lift.
The conditions where awful.we used to sit on the front row of the family enclosure then when my mam was a regular .
It was fucking bleak.
Think it ended nil nil aswell.

Derby away Jan 2004 - worse conditions than the original postponed game.
We got all the way to the ground at the original fixture not knowing the downpour had called it off. I’ll always remember the January game for the wrong reasons. The roads and paths were treacherous and our good mood after the game disintegrated when an old Derby fan in his 70s/80s slipped and hit the path face first. The sickest I’ve ever felt after a victory

Rochdale away 1980 ish (silent?). Just had a jean jacket on and the skinhead. I think we won 1-0 . Keith Edwards goal I think. Anyway it was fuckin freezing, and a long walk back to the train station. Edit: 1982

Oldham v Reading - 6th March 1987
I was working at Whitbread in Sheffield with a colleague from Reading who's a fan. We decided we'd nip across to Oldham. Bad idea.
Followed a snowplough over Woodhead. Stood on their (open) away end in a freezing cold horizontal blizzard.
Reading lost 0-4. Attendance 6,712 (Reading fans made up the 12).
Stopped off at what must have been the worst chippy in Lancashire.
Drove down to Woodhead again to find it shut, so had to go back and get the M62 back to civilisation.
Got back to Sheffield after midnight - colleague dropped me off at my mum's and decided to drive back to Reading!
Don't think I've ever been as cold in my life.

Mansfield Town away late 80s. Driving sleet/ snow in an open away end. Think we won 1-0? (Duffield pen?) Think it took a week to chisel the ice off me

I was there too.. one side of me was white with snow. Even the car was shivering on the way home. Was that the game Brian Smith broke his leg, or am I thinking of another game v MTFC??

Back
Top Bottom