What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mansfield Town late eighties,, Tuesday night game,, think it was when Brian Smith had his leg broken.. snow was coming down sideways.
Was it Brian Smith or was it simon Webster who broke his leg at Mansfield? I went to that game Tuesday nite at field mill blades singing up n down up n down up n down just to keep warm.

Derby County away. Early 2000's. Took my dad had to leave early as he was sold cold. Spit turning to ice.

Just seen others refer to this one.Freezing literally

Away at Mansfield one night in the late 80s, with only a chain link fence to protect us from the sleet and snow that lashed us all fucking game. How nobody died of hypothermia I've no idea.
Definately this one for me. Open terrace, driving sleet that turned to heavy snow towards the end of the match which then made for great driving home. I would like say we won from a Duffield penalty but I had brain freeze that night so could have been any result tbh.

Crewe Alexandra at BDTBL on a Friday night, bit chilly.

I slipped and broke my fucking ankle that night.........not the coldest though, for me it was Derby away midweek same season I think in a rearranged game when the original match on a Sat pm was called off due to a frozen pitch. Akinbadbuy scored the winner I believe.

There is only one winner. Mansfield.
Honourable mention to Oldham away on New Year's Day I think.

Was it Brian Smith or was it simon Webster who broke his leg at Mansfield? I went to that game Tuesday nite at field mill blades singing up n down up n down up n down just to keep warm.

Simon Webster broke his leg in a different game at Mansfield the same season (in the FA Cup). As mentioned elsewhere, Brian Smith broke his leg in the next game (home to Preston).

Away - Barnsley cup replay 1990
Home - West Ham cup game under Warnock circa 2004. Would have been the Crewe game but I was in a corporate box that night and was lovely and warm :)

Burnley at home in the 60's. Blackman was in goal for Burnley I think. In those days the goalies wore track suit bottoms, I think the lines on the pitch had to be cleared to see them from the frost.
December 1967? We won 1-0. A Morning Telegraph reporter said Willie Carlin looked like Jumping Jack Frost all over the pitch

Simon Webster broke his leg in a different game at Mansfield the same season (in the FA Cup). As mentioned elsewhere, Brian Smith broke his leg in the next game (home to Preston).
Well I went to both that Tuesday night game and Saturday game...did we play Huddersfield 3 times that season aswell?

Villa at home, midweek friendly, can't remember the year, possibly in the 1980's, frozen pitch, match abandoned, so cold my bollocks had retreated to somewhere near my spleen!
It was in January 1987 on a Friday night I think. Villa's Andy Gray had suffered a neck injury after falling on the hard ground just before half time and the ref decided the hard pitch was too dangerous for play to continue

Well I went to both that Tuesday night game and Saturday game...did we play Huddersfield 3 times that season aswell?

Yes, we lost 3-2 away to Huddersfield in the league, but beat them 1-0 at Leeds Road in the FA Cup 3rd round - a world class goal from Agana. I can't remember the score at Bramall Lane, but I think we won easily (maybe 5-1). I also have a vague memory of some notable goalkeeper thing, but can't remember what! It may have been Simon Tracey's debut, or a penalty save (or both?).

Was it Jan 87? Friday night game. Andy Gray injured his head on the frozen pitch so the ref called it off at half-time. There were only about 1,000 there and it was £2 to get in. When it was announced it had been abandoned the Kop chanted "We want a quid back"
Beat me to it!

Newcastle away 24th November 1993, think it was a Wednesday night, freezing fog there and back. Car park sheet of ice went arse over tit, great take away chinese meal, good craic in pubs with Geordies, Hammered 4-0 ,as Bassett would have said lucky to get 0, kept in ground and had snowballs lobed at us Happy Days
That's the one I was going for. I had bought a new scarf for that game. Never wore it again as we'd lost so badly.

Any ground west of the Pennines in Jan/Feb, any year. Oldham on that New Years day stands out. Fecking freezing. Global warming is not all bad

Villa at home in the cup, 1995 ish. Snow everywhere, I was a 50/50 ticket seller at the time which meant three hours stood outside the ground shivering my knackers off.

Was going to say the same – absolutely Arctic. The image defining the game was the cluster of snowballs lobbed towards the diving git Savo Milosevic after the penalty being given.

Remember Kevin McCabe offering us his car park pass but we'd already parked up then listening to R5 on the way back with tales of woe in the snow (think the geordies got called off late) but we got back OK.

You dropped me off somewhere along the way so I could hitchhike back to London, remember? It was indeed a chilly one.

Yes, we lost 3-2 away to Huddersfield in the league, but beat them 1-0 at Leeds Road in the FA Cup 3rd round - a world class goal from Agana. I can't remember the score at Bramall Lane, but I think we won easily (maybe 5-1). I also have a vague memory of some notable goalkeeper thing, but can't remember what! It may have been Simon Tracey's debut, or a penalty save (or both?).

Tracey's debut; they made it 1-1 from a penalty and at that point it was a close game, then inexplicably their defender (May) scored an own goal under no pressure and we cruised it to the end with an eventual 5-1 win (the own goal might have been our third, but at 2-1 to us, 'Udders were in the game and playing well).

I was living in Brackley back then and got the train back to Banbury, just missing the last bus home. Naturally I just trudged to the outskirts of Banbury and hitched the 9 miles to Brackley, getting a lift with a very old cockney geezer riddled with arthritis who was a former associate of the Krays. Fascinating lift, although sadly short.

Villa at home in the cup, 1995 ish. Snow everywhere, I was a 50/50 ticket seller at the time which meant three hours stood outside the ground shivering my knackers off.

Oh God I vaguely remember that one. Being only 4 or so my grandparents wrapped me up in about twenty layers, thermal tights, scarf, gloves, the works, all topped off with a Blades bobble hat of course. Still fucking freezing.

Tracey's debut; they made it 1-1 from a penalty and at that point it was a close game, then inexplicably their defender (May) scored an own goal under no pressure and we cruised it to the end with an eventual 5-1 win (the own goal might have been our third, but at 2-1 to us, 'Udders were in the game and playing well).

I was living in Brackley back then and got the train back to Banbury, just missing the last bus home. Naturally I just trudged to the outskirts of Banbury and hitched the 9 miles to Brackley, getting a lift with a very old cockney geezer riddled with arthritis who was a former associate of the Krays. Fascinating lift, although sadly short.

Not quite - they started well but missed a penalty when it was 0-0. Craig Maskell missed it at the Kop end.

We took the lead in an even game from a duffield pen: he scored a great second from 25 yards just after half time for 2-0. They battered us for 25 minutes and got one back but then May scored his own goal and they folded, and Deano and Bryson scored in the last 5 minutes.

A very odd game: we won 5-1 and yet it was a very even game.

The Mansfield one was made worse by it being sunny in Sheffield that afternoon folk had gone early and were left stood in shirts and the like I left for the game as the weather turned so was better prepared but it was still cold I couldn't believe it didn't get abandoned at halftime

Was at both the Derby and Southampton games away and can't remember bein as cold so it's all those 3 for me

Home game I'd have to say the Crewe fri night game as I was in Portugal for the villa game and the weather was quite warm :)

Nothing surely is colder than Derby away in 2004, I think it was -7. Plus we were crap that day.

Wore three pairs of socks, two t shirts and two jumpers, a woolly hat and gloves plus my winter coat but still cold for me! Ice all over on the walk from train station to the ground

+1 for that horrendous trip to Derby. The game had been postponed a couple of weeks earlier as the routes to the ground were deemed dangerous. Must have been polar bears wandering around the east Midlands that Saturday as the Tuesday night involved skating on two inch thick ice from the station to the ground. It was bastard freezing and we were treated to a Warnock special performance losing 2-0 and barely turning up. Leon Osman scored the second if I remember correctly and at that point I wanted to leave but couldn't as I'd frozen into my seat.

It were'nt reyt cold on this nite but it was pissing it down and i was soaking wet thru,i was stood on an uncovered corner section of this particular ground,we won 3-1 which sort of warmed me up :D

Which ground ?

Nothing surely is colder than Derby away in 2004, I think it was -7. Plus we were crap that day.

....and when everyone was huddled together on the concourse before the game, who was the young eager fan Small Mendonca wanting to eat his pie sat in our seats just to look at the ground ??????

:rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:

My coldest memory is one that hasn't been mentioned yet - we played Stockport County in a 1st round FA Cup replay at the Lane in the middle of December 1980. Think we might have been losing 2-1 and then we were so disappointed when we equalised and it went to extra time!

We ended up winning 3-2 in ET with Steve Charles getting the winner.

Carlisle at home on New Years Day about 1985 sticks out too, pitch was frozen and it was an awful game, although we nicked it 1-0.

Back
Top Bottom