What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Palace away 1996-7. Played on a week night with horizontal frozen sleet falling.

I will concede the Derby away game people mention was colder though - I wasn't there but the consensus at the time was that it was the coldest.

Southampton away in our last promotion season was another freezing game.

Trainers? If you go out in that weather in trainers your feet are going to get very cold. I can accept that he might not understand the cooling effect of evaporation but surely everyone knows trainers aren't suitable for sub-Arctic conditions?
I can only imagine short term gain was his driver. The ensuing frost bite can't have been much fun.

Forest away - 16th Feb 2010
Won 1-0
Henderson had just come back from injury and played all the 90 - as shit a performance by a single player as I can remember. He was absolutely fucking awful.

Brian Howard scored the winner.

The whole game was utter shit.

The only warmth was a trip to Hooters afterards

Another vote for Mansfield away in 1988/89. Snow settled on my knees as I was sitting in the stand and I was too cold to brush it off. That was the night that Sir Bob earned his stripes. Five or six of our players still wore short sleeves. None of theirs did. Couldn't see any of the pitch markings because of the snow. I bought a match programme and all of the pages were blank due to a printing error. Duffield penalty (low to the keeper's right as usual) won it. The most important 3 points of that season.

Wigan at home on New Years Day. We lost 2-0 and I was nursing a horrific hangover. I was almost pleased that we didn't score, I couldn't face getting up and celebrating.

Derby County away in the Premiership promotion season. If I remember correctly we won 1-0 and Ade Akinbyi scored on his debut.

Nothing surely is colder than Derby away in 2004, I think it was -7. Plus we were crap that day.
Went to the Watford game but the one above does stand out. Also remember Walsall away (4-4) back in the early 80s and Rochdale in the 4th division (1-0 Edwards) as being cold enough to snap ya bollocks off

Oxford United away. Lost 4-1, awful game and absolutely freezing. I think we left after 70 minutes, the first and only time I've missed the final whistle.

Newcastle away 24th November 1993, think it was a Wednesday night, freezing fog there and back. Car park sheet of ice went arse over tit, great take away chinese meal, good craic in pubs with Geordies, Hammered 4-0 ,as Bassett would have said lucky to get 0, kept in ground and had snowballs lobed at us Happy Days

Yes - this one for me too.
But then I also went to a CFL (like American Football but Canadian) game in Saskatchewan in the winter (my only ever game and I'll keep it that way). BC Lions against the SK Roughriders. BC won eventually. I think the temperature started at -20 and by the end of the game was around -40.

Fulham away one Boxing Day circa 1979 and Watford away probably early 80s in the FA Cup, we got trounced. There was a left winger we wanted to buy, who was at the match who decided against joining us on the strength of our performance, name like Callaghan. Come on Silent help me out.

I was there at that Watford game ( got hammered 5-0 as I recall). That said, I remember it being one of those games where we all had a real laugh.... we were so far out of our depth.... I recall wild celebrations when we won a corner! To cap it all, my mate (Glynn... are you on this forum ) ended up in hospital on the Sunday due to twisting his bollocks. Proof, I'd ever anyone needed it, that following the Blades can be a real ball ache....

Oh, and it was f*cling freewheeling!!!!

Derby away, left work and it was snowing tried to drive home from hillsborough and got stuck so couldn't get home to get a coat.

Had to run down to train station and just got on as the doors shut and had to sit in the stands in jeans and a jumper in minus temps

And we lost 2 0

Saints away, Dec 2005, we won 1-0. I remember Danny Webber playing. -10 degrees. Very unusual weather for the south coast. Got in a fight with a Paddy Saints fan for singing Jingle Bells....in a pub called The Avenue, just off London Rd.

Villa at home, midweek friendly, can't remember the year, possibly in the 1980's, frozen pitch, match abandoned, so cold my bollocks had retreated to somewhere near my spleen!
Was it Jan 87? Friday night game. Andy Gray injured his head on the frozen pitch so the ref called it off at half-time. There were only about 1,000 there and it was £2 to get in. When it was announced it had been abandoned the Kop chanted "We want a quid back"

Seeing the comment box comments got me thinking about the coldest match that I have ever watched the Blades play. For me, it would be a close run thing between two mid-week away matches. The first a game at the old Scunthorpe ground (early '80s) and against (the old) Wimledon when they ground shared with Crystal Palace in the early 2000's. It was that cold on both occasions I have just shivered at the recollection (true).
I remember we played at Rotherham in a friendly probably in the 60's we invaded the pitch after the game we were shocked that the pitch was like concrete & slippy as ice, don't know how the players stood up

Crewe Alexandra at BDTBL on a Friday night, bit chilly.

On a personal note, I've decided when the yellow ball starts being used, that's when i'll not be going 'Commando'.
-2 degrees 0-0, I seem to recall. Well worth freezing yer nuts off for

Away at Mansfield one night in the late 80s, with only a chain link fence to protect us from the sleet and snow that lashed us all fucking game. How nobody died of hypothermia I've no idea.

Saints away, Dec 2005, we won 1-0. I remember Danny Webber playing. -10 degrees. Very unusual weather for the south coast. Got in a fight with a Paddy Saints fan for singing Jingle Bells....in a pub called The Avenue, just off London Rd.

Remember Kevin McCabe offering us his car park pass but we'd already parked up then listening to R5 on the way back with tales of woe in the snow (think the geordies got called off late) but we got back OK.

Rochdale Div 4, Derby away as mentioned elsewhere. Windchill factor must have been big that evening.
There was a game at Wolves that was rather cold.

Was it Jan 87? Friday night game. Andy Gray injured his head on the frozen pitch so the ref called it off at half-time. There were only about 1,000 there and it was £2 to get in. When it was announced it had been abandoned the Kop chanted "We want a quid back"

That's probably the one, never been so cold, bit of a wasted journey from the Hope Valley that one!

As mentioned by others the Crewe 0-0 on Sky was a cold one not helped by standing in the pre match blizzard selling programs outside the battery shop on Shoreham St, no cover at all looked like a feckin snowman. Another was the semi final v Spurs at the lane dummy here decides to go by bus which don't turn up to take me home by the time I was into a taxi the snow was coming down heavy. I had to walk the last mile as the taxi driver was scared to go to the top of Handsworth, again I looked like a snowman by the time I got home

Another vote here for the Wimbledon match at Selhurst Park in 2003. It was the end of March so shouldn't have been that cold but it was absolutely bitter. only a few days before the balmy day at OT for the Arsenal semi final too.

I went with my brother to this one, it was that frosty you could hear the studs on the surface, it sounded like river dance...

Back
Top Bottom