CONFIRMED CCV Back to Spurs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’d be very surprised if we didn’t sign another CB. We haven’t been chasing Leonard, Southend’s favourite midfielder for six months, only to play him at CB imho.

How far is Heneghan away from the first team? What about Sam Graham?

Gives Slater & Heneghan a better shot at the starting 11. I thought CCV would be useful to have around, but isn’t a major loss IMO. Plus if rumours are to be believed, we’re looking at bringing a centre half in anyway.

From the few games I've seen, Heneghan is a long way off being good enough for the Championship and Sam Graham is still too young to be considered as a first team centre half.

There’s so much false and shite information on this thread I wouldn’t know where to start with it so I’m not going to.

He’ll be good in a 4 where he doesn’t have to get forward and can just do the basic stuff a defender is known for which is obviously not how we play.

The reason JOC has needed a rest and Bashams’ standards have dropped is because our system demands they get forward quite a lot which will bring the defensive aspects of their game down due to fatigue both physically and mentally, this affected CCV more than anyone as he isn’t used to doing it.

If your a defender just having to defend then it makes your game a lot easier and you very rarely see a CB having or needing a rest. Our system is brilliant but it has a lot to answer for regards players like CCV who clearly aren’t used to it and that’s why he got in one or two very unorthodox positions, he’s tried his best to get used to it but it just doesn’t suit him.

Spurs don’t have many shite youngsters and CCV isn’t one either so as long as he’s gone back on good terms we’ll keep an healthy relationship with them just in case we need another player in the future.

I'll never forget his ability to terrify defences.
Namely Sheffield United's.

Scored at Bolton (away) and almost bagged a second.

GLTTL

With all due respect mate this is complete and utter bollocks.
He was poor against Fulham and Birmingham .He couldn't cope with Fulham's pace and was exposed by their movement. Against Birmingham he kept giving the ball away

What little I've seen of Leonard tells me that he's a much much better player than Jake Wright . Don't get me wrong here , I have just as much respect for Wright and what he's done for us when asked, but to prefer to see him at RCB over either Basham or Leonard is pure unadulterated madness .

I've seen a bit of Leonard and he looks like a very competent midfielder. He's combative, good on thd ball, got a fierce shot: all the things you want from a midfielder.

Im not saying Wright is his replacement at RCB, but to say Leonard is "infinitely better" when reffering to the CB position is stupid.

While the jury may still be out for some on Wright at Championship level, he proved himself to be one of the best CBs in L1, Leonard, to my knowledge, has barely played there.

He was poor against Fulham and Birmingham .He couldn't cope with Fulham's pace and was exposed by their movement. Against Birmingham he kept giving the ball away
His last two games were Ipswich and Birmingham, he was good against an albeit lacklustre Ipswich side and he wasn’t ‘very poor’ at all against Birmingham either, a team we restricted to just 3 shots at goal in 90 mins. As I said, utter bollocks!

As for the Fulham game, none of our defenders could cope with their pace but not one of the goals was directly down to Wright from what I can remember. It’s a strange agenda you and many others have against Wright, a man with one of the best records ever in a Blades shirt who gives his all.

Did a good job for the most part but too inconsistent lately. If he sharpens up I think there’s a good player in there but he needs to iron out the mistakes quickly.

His last two games were Ipswich and Birmingham, he was good against an albeit lacklustre Ipswich side and he wasn’t ‘very poor’ at all against Birmingham either, a team we restricted to just 3 shots at goal in 90 mins. As I said, utter bollocks!

As for the Fulham game, none of our defenders could cope with their pace but not one of the goals was directly down to Wright from what I can remember. It’s a strange agenda you and many others have against Wright, a man with one of the best records ever in a Blades shirt who gives his all.
No agenda at all. I agree he always gives his all and he has done ok for us this season but if we need to take the next step as a club he shouldn't, unfortunately be part of as he isn't quite good enough. I think we have several players like that in the squad .

No agenda at all. I agree he always gives his all and he has done ok for us this season but if we need to take the next step as a club he shouldn't, unfortunately be part of as he isn't quite good enough. I think we have several players like that in the squad .
You said he was very poor in his last two games when he clearly wasn’t, that’s what I disagreed with.

I still think he’s more than good enough for this level as it stands but I agree we will need better when we qualify for Europe next season. :)

The reason JOC has needed a rest and Bashams’ standards have dropped is because our system demands they get forward quite a lot which will bring the defensive aspects of their game down due to fatigue both physically and mentally, this affected CCV more than anyone as he isn’t used to doing it.

I'm glad someone has brought this one up :) and seeing as our RWB position has been shared between Freeman, Baldock & Bash this season, maybe we can cut Enda a little slack ? he's been ploughing that LWB position for twenty-odd games now (a demanding role) on his own, and is probably needing a bit of a rest too. I'm sure this is the reason for a drop off from his early season form.........

I thought Wright was blamesless against Fulham. I think you can account the blame to CCV (first 2), Basham (back post for the 3rd) and Wilder for the last 2. Just my opinion like.....

On the whole I think CCV did well for us and hopefully the experience has developed him as a player. To me he seemed to be a rounded athlete first and a footballer second. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh.

I've seen a bit of Leonard and he looks like a very competent midfielder. He's combative, good on thd ball, got a fierce shot: all the things you want from a midfielder.

Im not saying Wright is his replacement at RCB, but to say Leonard is "infinitely better" when reffering to the CB position is stupid.

While the jury may still be out for some on Wright at Championship level, he proved himself to be one of the best CBs in L1, Leonard, to my knowledge, has barely played there.

I stand by my original comment . Ryan Leonard is a much better player than Jake Wright.

I'm glad someone has brought this one up :) and seeing as our RWB position has been shared between Freeman, Baldock & Bash this season, maybe we can cut Enda a little slack ? he's been ploughing that LWB position for twenty-odd games now (a demanding role) on his own, and is probably needing a bit of a rest too. I'm sure this is the reason for a drop off from his early season form.........
Totally agree, I was concentrating on the CBs’ with it being a thread on CCV that’s the reason I didn’t bring him up. I actually think our outside CBs’ get through as much work as our WBs’ though which is why we haven’t kept many clean sheets. I wouldn’t want us to change how we play though because it’s great to watch.

Did his best, prepared to put his body in and did a good job despite the odd clanger.

Wish him luck, and reckon in 2 to 3 years he may just be a top player. I’m sure he learned from it, and goes back to Spurs a more experienced and better player. For the errors he made you can see he will be the sort of player to just play every game every season for someone. He’s built like a tank and will be an asset to many sides in that way.
May not be premier league long term, but sure to have a career in the game for me.

Now that's a valid point . But in midfield who do you see Leonard replacing ? And , equally importantly , where do you see Evans and Holmes playing in midfield and who are they replacing ?

CCV going back to Spurs suggests to me that Leonard is earmarked for elsewhere other than Midfield

Leonard will compete with Lundstram, Evans with Fleck and Holmes with Duffy for the three midfield places. Its a squad game and CW has lately bemoaned the lack of options he has had on the bench. Our high intensity game will need all 6 to be available to cope with injuries, suspensions, loss of form and tiredness. Carruthers is probably earmarked for going out on loan.

CCV has gone back to Spurs because they've recalled him due to him not being played recently. As soon as CCV was dropped Spurs were hinting he may be recalled, nothing to do with Leonard being bought.

Leonard will compete with Lundstram, Evans with Fleck and Holmes with Duffy for the three midfield places. Its a squad game and CW has lately bemoaned the lack of options he has had on the bench. Our high intensity game will need all 6 to be available to cope with injuries, suspensions, loss of form and tiredness. Carruthers is probably earmarked for going out on loan.

CCV has gone back to Spurs because they've recalled him due to him not being played recently. As soon as CCV was dropped Spurs were hinting he may be recalled, nothing to do with Leonard being bought.

Leonard isn't a Coutts/Lundstrum midfielder and Evans is far removed from Fleck in terms of style and much closer to coutts/lundstrum . If anything Leonard is closer to Fleck in terms of style and type of player . Holmes competing with Duffy is a given .

I'm not for one minute suggesting that Leonard was bought to cover CCV being sent back to Spurs. But I am absolutely suggesting that CCV had dropped even further down the pecking order once Leonard was signed .

Has all the attributes to become a top CB. I think he did alright for us, put in some good displays, prone to a couple of mistakes yes, but how old is he, 19? Think we all made more than a few mistakes at 19 so he can be forgiven :oops: A loan spell at somewhere like Wigan would be perfect for him right now you'd think

This, to me, leaves us a defender light.

I cannot see the play-off push lasting much longer if those advocating playing a recently acquired League 1 midfielder in a Championship defence get their wishes.

On CCV. I think he's done well for us. I think people forget how young he is. Confidence dropped after the Fulham game, that's all. Small things like that can define a player. Dwell or move on. I think he also highlights just how important Coutts was for us. A constant outlet for all the defence. That night at Burton CCV was immense. Coutts' last game, funnily enough.

Back
Top Bottom