Player Suggestion David Wheater

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not good enough for Bolton but good enough for us.

What league are Bolton in next season.

Lesson learnt - Hammond .

My guess is his wages meant he was never going to stay at Bolton. If he's not got a club by now then he's more likely to accept a deal now than he was two months ago, playing the field. Maybe he wanted to stay in the Championship but its unlikely if he hasn't gone somewhere by now. If he's fit he'd be a decent signing, but I've not seen how he played last season for Bolton.

I get why people say that we shouldn't sign players on their way down but Wheater would be a good signing, especially if it was on a 12 month deal with an option to extend it. Good in the air, doesn't shirk tackles and good organiser at the back. 29 is nothing for a decent c/b and if he is available I would get him in pronto and have a good look. If he lacks anything it's pace but I would certainly have a look at him.

Apparently he was back training with Bolton the other week.

He has had injury issues but could be worth a gamble on a one year deal I think.

Really? After the great Wallace injury situation you think another crock on the books would be a cunning plan?

It would be like watching the Ark Royal turn at centre half while a game of football went on around it.

No, no, no, no. This is everything we are trying to avoid I hope.

Just read he has signed on for Bolton, phew dodged a bullet.

Really? After the great Wallace injury situation you think another crock on the books would be a cunning plan?

It would be like watching the Ark Royal turn at centre half while a game of football went on around it.

I don't mind us taking a gamble on a player like Wheater who you know is a decent centre back on a one year deal. It's just you wouldn't dive in and do something daft like give him a two year deal plus give him the option to extend it.

I don't mind us taking a gamble on a player like Wheater who you know is a decent centre back on a one year deal. It's just you wouldn't dive in and do something daft like give him a two year deal plus give him the option to extend it.

I do, it's every mistake we made in the past rolled into one.

On his way down, check
Big salary, check
Injured, check

Now you've done it, nailed on to score on Saturday.

They've got some serious height and strength in their side. Wheater, Beevers, Proctor, Dervite, Madine, Trotter etc. all over 6 foot. I fear we could get bullied.

They've got some serious height and strength in their side. Wheater, Beevers, Proctor, Dervite, Madine, Trotter etc. all over 6 foot. I fear we could get bullied.

Think we will get humped Saturday.

But only one of Wheater or Dervite will play, only one of Madine or Proctor, and I doubt Trotter will get in the team.

They are physically better than us though. Pratley's one in midfield who's fairly big and athletic.

But only one of Wheater or Dervite will play, only one of Madine or Proctor, and I doubt Trotter will get in the team.

They are physically better than us though. Pratley's one in midfield who's fairly big and athletic.

Yeah agree they probably won't all play but they've got options with a lot of big and decent players to choose from. Their squad looks well set to make the most of Parkinson's style.

Be worth it just for the laughs alone. Bolton fans would go ape and it would be great how stupid the Wednesday fans who have voted for him in that player of the year poll would feel if he came to us.

Aye I've seen that re the poll. Joke that any award is allowed to just go on who gets the most votes from fans! Owlstalk really is a joke doing that.

Good defender but not sure he fits what we are trying to achieve. We demand people who are comfortable on the ball - he's not that.

That said, still a good option on a free...

Didn't someone on here start a thread recently about how good looking our current squad is?

This lad would fit right in...............................

227144_1.jpg

Didn't someone on here start a thread recently about how good looking our current squad is?

This lad would fit right in...............................

View attachment 27213

He's not the best looking but he sure can defend! I'll let the lasses debate on his looks! He might be more old school and not as mobile or classy as Jack O'Connell but he'd surely do a Morgan job very well. Not got their player of the season for nothing has he!

Don't think we could afford him tbh (without breaking any sort of wage structure we've got). For that matter, can Bolton afford him at a time of belt-tightening for them?

Would expect him to go to one of the wealthier championship sides.

We could do worse. He seems a decent character. Would depend on wages.

Not sure he'd be ideal in the middle of the 3, even though he played there for Bolton after they copied our formation.

Don't think we could afford him tbh (without breaking any sort of wage structure we've got). For that matter, can Bolton afford him at a time of belt-tightening for them?

Would expect him to go to one of the wealthier championship sides.

Ho took a big wage cut to sign a one year deal last summer so presumably its whether Bolton can up his wages to a Championship wage and whether he wants to stay there or not. I reckon if interested we have a chance, as we don't have the financial problems they have.

Ho took a big wage cut to sign a one year deal last summer so presumably its whether Bolton can up his wages to a Championship wage and whether he wants to stay there or not. I reckon if interested we have a chance, as we don't have the financial problems they have.

Fair point, wasn't aware of his pay cut in honesty. I'd imagine there's a bit more to it though.

He was on something like £17k-£20k pw the previous season, going by reports. So I'd imagine the deal for this season involved heavy bonuses if promotion was achieved, with a lower basic, but getting towards making up the shortfall in bonuses if they made it back up. Just speculating, but I doubt he'd have voluntarily taken a seriously hefty cut just for love of Bolton.

But that salary he was on the season before shows what his expectations are likely to be I'd have thought, especially after such a successful season for him personally.

Not too sure about this one, on one hand he is a very physical presence and is undoubtedly a good defender. However its his lack of pace that we exploited at our place. However we don't expect our most central centre half to be excellent on the ball, its usually a simple pass to Coutts that gets our moves started or a sideward one to JoC or Basham.

In fact whilst writing this I have changed my mind, think he would be a good addition, a direct replacement for EEL.

Back
Top Bottom