Outgoing? Matt Done

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The few good games Coutts has had with us, seem predominately to be from the right hand side linking up with Brayford. Certainly another option
I'd previously been surprised if any new manager hadn't bombed Coutts out. I'd be amazed if Wilder doesn't.

You can see the tempo he demands. It was obvious yesterday. In a month of Sunday's, Coutts couldn't play that game.

UTB

I'd previously been surprised if any new manager hadn't bombed Coutts out. I'd be amazed if Wilder doesn't.

You can see the tempo he demands. It was obvious yesterday. In a month of Sunday's, Coutts couldn't play that game.

UTB
You're probably right, but should we run out of money and not be able to bring in a right winger the choices are restricted to Coutts and Adams

You're probably right, but should we run out of money and not be able to bring in a right winger the choices are restricted to Coutts and Adams
I'm hoping the sale of players like Coutts means that we don't run out of money. Sadly, I doubt even Clough is stupid enough to shell out for Coutts again.

UTB

Done, Duffy and Adams + DCL and one more signing will probably be our wide options.

I feel a lot of people are still imagining a regular 4-4-2-line up and trying to work things out with that. I obviously don't know what Wilder is thinking, but everything in his record and his actions since he arrived here, from signings, who he's transfer listed and trying to get rid to his interviews strongly suggests a 4-3-3, preferably the 4-2-3-1, with the 4-3-3 as an option.

I'd be surprised if Coutts was given a chance.

UTB
Tempo doesn't come from a player running about at speed like a madhead ,but it does come from quick thinking ,good control ,quick accurate passing and a football brain in midfield. These are the skills Coutts has.

Tempo doesn't come from a player running about at speed like a madhead ,but it does come from quick thinking ,good control ,quick accurate passing and a football brain in midfield. These are the skills Coutts has.
They are the "skills" that has meant at no time in the last 2 years, under different managers, playing a slower game, he hasn't been fit enough to last 90 minutes.

It is beyond question that Wilder's style will demand a greater degree of fitness. The idea that he'll be able to get away with not closing players down off the ball, which is a major weakness, doesn't stand up.

He listed him for a reason.

UTB

But you also need to have the energy/enthusiasm to get back behind the ball when we don't have it. This is a 'skill' Coutts doesn't have (or doesn't want to do)

The major piece in this jigsaw to me is in fact McNulty . If Wilder feels he is the man from a goal ratio per game and more consistent , then a big target man will be required to assist either Billy or back up McNulty .

Done could be the odd man out and the one perhaps least missed .

The system we will play up front is not the Leicester way but like them 2 up front for France . Big lad , Small lad.

Done or DCL can both perhaps help in the rebuild by moving on with damage limitation to the squad quality being minimal . Know it's all about opinions , but it's also about balancing the books in league 1.

UTB[/QUOTE}

I doubt Wilder will commit to McNulty until he shows consistency and a work ethic required over a sustained period that Wilder wants. He certainly has the talent but once again it's the temperament that's suspect

But you also need to have the energy/enthusiasm to get back behind the ball when we don't have it. This is a 'skill' Coutts doesn't have (or doesn't want to do)
Maybe under an inspirational manager ,only hoping ,but Adkins was as inspiring as gout.
I want him to make it because he is a footballer ,he has genuine ability ,the game is littered with players at every club who cant tackle. He does have to show more desire though ,I do agree on that.

Maybe under an inspirational manager ,only hoping ,but Adkins was as inspiring as gout.
I want him to make it because he is a footballer ,he has genuine ability ,the game is littered with players at every club who cant tackle. He does have to show more desire though ,I do agree on that.

Well if any manager is capable of getting it out of him then it will be Tufty.

Yesterday as he walked onto the pitch he clapped the fans, and had a look that he was saying goodbye, I thought something was up as I saw that, there's a strong possibility he'll be gone...

Yesterday as he walked onto the pitch he clapped the fans, and had a look that he was saying goodbye, I thought something was up as I saw that, there's a strong possibility he'll be gone...

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment, but i'm pretty sure he's on the plane photo, can't imagine him flying out to Spain for a week if the sale was imminent

There is a bit of an "anti-Coutts" thing about a lot of fans eh? Personally I think he's one of the most talented footballers at the club and I still think he's got an important role to play for us. I see Coutts as a creative midfield player. Someone who can do a similar role to Kevin McDonald when he was here. Picking the ball up off the defence, moving it up to the forwards and stringing play together.

Now, I also fully understand that Coutt's pace and tempo just haven't been there in a lot of games under the previous poor excuse of a manager. But how much of that is down to Coutts and how much of it is down to the clown who managed him? He's still a very young fit bloke and if anyone can get him upping his game a bit then I'm sure Wilder can. And if he does then we'll have one hell of a good player on our hands. Better than anything at League 1 level imo.

I'm hoping he gets a chance to show what he can do under Wilder - I think it could be good for him and us.

If CW thinks he can and uses him then, who am I to complain. However, if he is picked and doesn't perform immediately the whistle blows, the fans will destroy him. Not saying it's right, just what I believe to be. As for being the most talented, he needs to practice crossing cos I don't think he knows how to find the range. Personal opinion mind.

There is a bit of an "anti-Coutts" thing about a lot of fans eh? Personally I think he's one of the most talented footballers at the club and I still think he's got an important role to play for us. I see Coutts as a creative midfield player. Someone who can do a similar role to Kevin McDonald when he was here. Picking the ball up off the defence, moving it up to the forwards and stringing play together.

Now, I also fully understand that Coutt's pace and tempo just haven't been there in a lot of games under the previous poor excuse of a manager. But how much of that is down to Coutts and how much of it is down to the clown who managed him? He's still a very young fit bloke and if anyone can get him upping his game a bit then I'm sure Wilder can. And if he does then we'll have one hell of a good player on our hands. Better than anything at League 1 level imo.

I'm hoping he gets a chance to show what he can do under Wilder - I think it could be good for him and us.
There is no "anti Coutts" thing. There's an "anti lazy bastard stealing a wage from our club" thing. Ask Jose about it.

Was the clown who managed him" the same as the clown who signed him? Because he was utterly wank under both. Clough possibly realised he was a waster and played him less than Adkins.

Slow, unathletic, cant press, can't tackle, can't shoot, can't assist, can't score, but with a crisp pass. What's not to like?

He's no different to a good number of our players to who fans will gladly give a free ride to their next free ride.

UTB

Last edited:
Alco, agree with the sentiment but Clough signed him to play right midfield with the Beard like they did at Derby. They linked well together in a number of games but injury etc meant they never played that many times in the same team.

If Wilder can motivate him we've got a player on our hands, if not we're in trouble as he's under contract and no doubt on decent wages so won't be going anywhere.

What is obvious is the crowd slating him will be counter productive, we will just have another Collins situation on our hands where we have a demoralised player being paid good money that nobody else wants !

He can't tackle or chase.
He can't score or carry the ball.
He's one of the highest earners.

In my eyes, his only redeeming feature is his ball control and his ability to pick a pass and as I mentioned on another thread this alone is the bare minimum of a midfielder, not the basis of worship.

Wilder has mentioned that he wants his midfielders to offer something going forward as well as defensively, not neither

He can't tackle or chase.
He can't score or carry the ball.
He's one of the highest earners.

In my eyes, his only redeeming feature is his ball control and his ability to pick a pass and as I mentioned on another thread this alone is the bare minimum of a midfielder, not the basis of worship.

Agree with most of that, except the ability to pick a pass bit - can only pass short, sideways or backwards. He is mentally lazy, lacks pace and commitment, his assists record is as bad as his scoring record and a traffic cone would be more effective than him defensively. There are far better ways to use his reputedly high wage money.

Alco, agree with the sentiment but Clough signed him to play right midfield with the Beard like they did at Derby. They linked well together in a number of games but injury etc meant they never played that many times in the same team.

If Wilder can motivate him we've got a player on our hands, if not we're in trouble as he's under contract and no doubt on decent wages so won't be going anywhere.

What is obvious is the crowd slating him will be counter productive, we will just have another Collins situation on our hands where we have a demoralised player being paid good money that nobody else wants !
I've never slated Coutts, or any player, whilst on the pitch. He's had a free ride with no pressure from fans. He's simply been fucking rubbish, with nobody but himself to blame.

UTB

Sadly for Coutts, hes in the most competitive position within the club with Fleck (a certain starter as Wilder's signing), Basham, Stefan Scougall, Ben Whiteman, Reed plus the transfer listed Wallace brothers! I would say if fit James Wallace has the best chance out of the three transfer listed players. Coutts languid style won't suit Wilder's high pressing, high tempo game.

Can't see Either Done or McNulty leaving though to be honest, but who knows. If we sign a target man that leaves us with 6 forwards. I reckon Adams might well leave before August is over.

Ultimately, as a professional footballer Coutts is responsible for his own fitness. If the training Adkins put on wasn't sufficient to get him fit, he should have spoken to the management team and had a programme of additional training devised.

What if he's playing well?

He won't be allowed to play well by the opposition, in a competitive fixture .....

We know that as its been evidenced over a long period of time, he cannot contribute in the Division we are in currently, therefore he's a waste of a shirt if selected.

Remember Bradford away when their pig CH threw him over his shoulder ......... no foul said the referee and that's the problem.

Nothing against Scougal, but he will never be able to be consistent in this Division because he's too lightweight ........ imho :(

UTB & FTP

He won't be allowed to play well by the opposition, in a competitive fixture .....

We know that as its been evidenced over a long period of time, he cannot contribute in the Division we are in currently, therefore he's a waste of a shirt if selected.

Remember Bradford away when their pig CH threw him over his shoulder ......... no foul said the referee and that's the problem.

Nothing against Scougal, but he will never be able to be consistent in this Division because he's too lightweight ........ imho :(

UTB & FTP
He shouldn't play because the referee didn't give a blatant foul?

Scougall played well in cloughs first season and I think he will suit Wilders style

UTB & FTP

I agree Darth, that was a dreadful example of abysmal refereeing, but I don't think it's in anyway conclusive as to Scougall's ability to compete. If this had happened regularly fair play, but the fact that it's cited probably shows how the referee was at fault. I don't doubt Scoug's courage or willingness to do what's necessary, and I'm happy to let Wilder cast his critical gaze over the players and judge accordingly. If Scougall doesn't meet his manager's criteria for what's needed then he'll be gone, but if he meets those demands then so much the better for player and team.

I think Baxter was the most talented player in the squad over the last few years. But I feel Coutts isn't the lazy bastard many make out. I'll go as far to say if hadn't picked up a bad injury there's no chance he'd be playing for us in league 1.

The comparison isn't a fair one, Baxter fucked his own career whilst Coutts was somewhat unlucky, I think his career at United is ultimately over, although I'd be happy for him to be given a fair crack again. Coutts and Brayford looked like lost souls last season, and I think Brayford performed worse in the majority games.

Back
Top Bottom