Player Suggestion Will Hughes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Said on a different post a few weeks ago that Will Hughes would be a fantastic signing. Consistent performer, plenty of top flight experience but still relatively young.

There have been no signs he’s been angling for a move and I suspect that Watford would be incredibly reluctant to let him go, so it would take a substantial offer. Plus the inevitable late interest from Fulham and Villa!

feels like a wilder signing to me.

Right age (25 so just coming into his prime). Right experience at this level. Would improve our squad and first team imo.

Not sure, but Might be getable now Watford are in the league below. Can’t imagine he’ll be on mind blowing wages?

Agree I think he'd fit really well and likely to be achievable $$$$ wise. As for the why not, I guess we wouldn't be prioritising a left footed midfielder with Fleck and Osborn already here (if I have that wrong and he's a right side he'd be perfect for us). With Freeman gone it could open up a slot though.

I think we'd be all over him if he was right footed. Maybe we still are. But yeah, Fleck and Osborn are beautiful in the LCM spot.

I also suspect that Watford pay silly wages.
Just had a look out of curiosity (it always makes me feel a bit of a low life looking at other folks salaries). I always take these sources with a pinch of salt, but for what it's worth looks like he's on $30k.

Just had a look out of curiosity (it always makes me feel a bit of a low life looking at other folks salaries). I always take these sources with a pinch of salt, but for what it's worth looks like he's on $30k.

Not sure about that source I just posted. Looked up United and George must be the most overworked and underpaid lad in the PL at $4k/week... Even for us that seems a bit tight.

Great player, just reopen the “Duffy” role and slot him in at Lane. Instead of bounce killer he could be villa killer when we do double on them this year ( as there now are biggest enemy apparently)

Not sure where he would get a game ..and for the outlay of £15 million ..or loan fee and wages ...don’t see it as a priority..at all ...

Fucking hell.

Curly ginger proposed yesterday and now an albino.

Is there no class and self respect on this forum.

He's on £30k per week in Football Manager 20 - given their connections to Watford I'd imagine that's not a million miles off. FWIW: in our squad Baldock is on £8k, Sharp £12k, McBurnie £20k (which we know is accurate), Mousset £25k and Berge £40k.

He'd be a great signing.

1599036938200.png

As far as left footed midfielders go I think Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall would be a good signing, been great for Luton and doesn’t seem likely to break into an excellent Leicester side anytime soon. Loan with an option to buy could be do-able.

As far as left footed midfielders go I think Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall would be a good signing, been great for Luton and doesn’t seem likely to break into an excellent Leicester side anytime soon. Loan with an option to buy could be do-able.
hourihane

£65k a week apparently

The wages thing is such a fucking pickle, innit? As as been said, there are/were players earning more in the Championship than most of ours have in the Premier League.

I find myself constantly torn between wanting us to play the game and cough up these sorts of wages, or wanting us to stick to our guns, keep paying reasonable wages and not succumb to the financial madness of modern football.

£65k a week for a second-division footballer. That's what he's on after accounting for relegation. It's fucking bonkers.

totally agree tom its such a fine line as to which way you go either keeping the club financially stable or going for it on salaries problem is that if your in the premier league its quite obvious that unless you pay the going premier league rate of salaries you cant survive for any length of time having said that the path we have taken puts us in a very strong position for a promotion push next season then who knows what will happen if we go up 🤔🤔

totally agree tom its such a fine line as to which way you go either keeping the club financially stable or going for it on salaries problem is that if your in the premier league its quite obvious that unless you pay the going premier league rate of salaries you cant survive for any length of time having said that the path we have taken puts us in a very strong position for a promotion push next season then who knows what will happen if we go up 🤔🤔
I think if we can build and then retain a good young core of players we should be able to increase the wage budget as we wouldn’t be going into summer transfer windows needing to spend north of 50 million each year. Maybe only having to make 1 marquee signing but improving players contracts.

I think last season magnified the problem as well.
If CW had brought someone in on £65-70k a week then he would have had a queue of players at his door saying "I contributed to us finishing 9th in the PL in our first season - I'm worth the same". Don't think the same argument applies this season as it's been amply demonstrated that standards have slipped dramatically.
FWIW I think a player like Hughes would be worth £65k/week if we were in the PL.

I think last season magnified the problem as well.
If CW had brought someone in on £65-70k a week then he would have had a queue of players at his door saying "I contributed to us finishing 9th in the PL in our first season - I'm worth the same". Don't think the same argument applies this season as it's been amply demonstrated that standards have slipped dramatically.
FWIW I think a player like Hughes would be worth £65k/week if we were in the PL.
I like Hughes, but he is more of the same in the mould of Norwood, Fleck and Lundstram in that he is not athletic or physical enough for success in the PL, these are the main qualities we need to be bringing into the squad.

Out of contract this summer and still only 29. I think we should be looking at him if isn't able to secure a new deal or another PL move.

went to Repton and still has connections in the Derby area. Expect will want to stay in the South East though.

Back
Top Bottom