This forum is bipolar

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maybe we should rename the club SUFC2013 so all this garbage can be put where it belongs. Some people can't let go. They may not be bipolar ( the title of the thread!!), they may be straight depressives.

It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown. Fact

Is your bedroom full of motivational posters like "Hang in there" with a cutesy picture of a cat hanging onto a branch?

Maybe we should rename the club SUFC2013 so all this garbage can be put where it belongs. Some people can't let go. They may not be bipolar ( the title of the thread!!), they may be straight depressives.

There you go again. If we don't all sing your song its "Garbage". You strike me as the sort of person who would turn up in a war zone grinning from ear to ear telling everyone how lucky we all are to be alive.

What you don't seem to get is that if we get promoted EVERYONE to a man and woman will be very, very happy. We all want the same thing but we react differently to the behind the scenes things.

I am happy as a clam that we finally have a manager capable of taking us forward and was one of the first to say give it time when some were ploughing into Clough at the start of the season. I am very happy that Higdon seems to be finding his feet and scoring goals. I am happy that we sit in a good position however, I am fearful that the same old McCabe who has form will sell anyone decent at the first sign of a fee. If he doesn't then we have a chance, if he does then Clough will go somewhere more deserving of his talent.

People like you dismiss the alternative view with your fingers in your ears while history dictates that we have sold good players at the first sign of an offer. Now we have to say everything pre-prince didn't really happen when the fact is we sold our best player in 2014 and didn't either spend the money or replace him (Clough himself has acknowledged this). We have the money from the cup run which doesn't seem to have been spent. The cup run was mainly in 2014.

So perhaps what we should all do is not bother having the debate unless we are all prepared to say Woodwardfan is right and we are all manicly grinning along saying how wonderful everything is.

To sum up, I'll not be happy until we are out of this shithole division but that may be because I strive for something better than just existing.

Saw this and thought of you...think it sum's the board up pretty well..

e70bib.jpg

One thing we all have , putting aside the past , is passion , pride and emotion for the Blades . Yes we are in shit league 1 , but does that affect our support . No.
We have a shared connection and to be honest you cannot beat jumping for joy , punching the air , hugging the bloke in the seat next to you. Do i get pissed off and down with the Blades , yes i do , but the joy and connection out weighs this. They do give us glory , values , passion , pride , lack of control, hope.

Let us all enjoy the roller coaster ride, and trust Mr Clough.

UTB.

Bladesway take the time to read my first post on here, the third in the thread.

You are repeating most of what I said but changed the context. I repeat nobody on here was clapping when you hijacked this thread by going off at a tangent. You turned it into something different, an excuse for a McCabe tirade. Believe me there have been far worse than him in my 58 years support, far worse. This topic was bigger and wider than KM 's tenure.

You narrowed it for your own reasons, maybe your own hobby horse.

Last edited:
Is your bedroom full of motivational posters like "Hang in there" with a cutesy picture of a cat hanging onto a branch?

Nope. I just can't understand why people walk around day-to-day moaning. It's like if you're running down a hill and theres a tree and you think - i'm gonna hit that tree... Odds are, you'll hit the tree. Why not look for a way around the tree?

In our DNA? Yes, because our parents taught us to be pessimistic Blades, it's the United way.

More a combination of conditioning and DNA I think - its all the years of "if there is a way to f*** it all up, United will find it". Underpinning us all is Hope I think - hope in spite of everything that has happened - be it generations of financial mismanagement, interference with managers, selling of key players at stupid times, the slide into oblivion. Hope is in our DNA - years of conditioning and parental training temper that with pessimism/realism.

Its easy to support a big team who win everything. It will never be easy to support United, it takes strength of character and a worldliness flyby-nights cannot hope to match even in their deeper moments of cynicism. Even the most ardent "clapper" has some element of dourness and pessimism and the most rampant miserable has hope burning somewhere inside them, because to give up on United or to have no opinion other than uncritical support is somehow to give up on yourself and your dreams.There are degrees of difference between us all but in the larger sense we are all United in my opinion.

UTB

FWIW I 100% support Clough and I think you will find most do. But don't let that detract from your point.
And the pressure put on the chairman (who i'm no particular fan of) by quite a lot of the Supporters caused the dismissal of how many managers since 07? Maybe just maybe if that pressure had not been so we'd be no where near league one.

You are repeating most of what I said but changed the context. I repeat nobody on here was clapping when you hijacked this thread by going off at a tangent. You turned it into something different, an excuse for a McCabe tirade. Believe me there have been far worse than him in my 58 years support, far worse. This topic was bigger and wider than KM 's tenure.

I suggest you read this thread from the start again.

Bladesway didn't "highjack the thread" he posted a couple of lines about the board letting us down. End of, or so you'd think.

YOU, then requested some justification for his post (only you know why) and, as a direct result of this questioning, it went off on a tangent. I suggest if you'd left Bladesway's post alone (best thing to do with most of his ramblings to be honest) then it would have meandered along as it started.

Just saying like.

You really cannot help yourself can you? You take someone post then belittle the content and the poster just because its the opposite of your world view. I have not only read your posts on here but previously, in fact since I can remember you coming on the forum. You start by belittling anyone who happens to think things are wrong at the club, then you compound it by going after me because I don't agree with you. Because I won't go away (and trust me I won't) you then start insinuating I haven't read your post properly. Clearly you feel my comment is beneath you in some way because you come back around and pat me on the head telling me I have written pretty much the same as you. I haven't.

You may ask why I feel the way I do about McCabe rather than saying its an excuse for a McCabe tirade. At every turn you attempt to belittle my standpoint by insinuations of whether I have read your post properly or whether I am on some personal vendetta.

What you have done is utterly backed up my point that you are the sort of person who would come into a warzone saying "cheer up chaps it could be worse", with your statement that things have been worse. Far worse by all accounts. OK so tell me this, because everything is relative.

1) Have we ever owed as much money as we did under McCabes stewardship?
2) Have we ever fallen from grace quite so spectacularly?
3) Have we ever been in a position of such power financially only to utterly fuck it up and plummet down the leagues?
4) Was this clusterfuck unavoidable with a bit of good stewardship?
5) Were we not on the cusp of financial security only to have pissed it up the wall in a single disasterous appointment?

Now we have been lower down the league (just) and we have had a rickety old ground that was not far short of falling down, while those across the city were hosting cup semi finals. But our current plight shouldn't even be. We were secure, even when we got relegated from the Premiership. We were financially sound and had parachute money to make sure our structure was sustainable. Even though we had done stupid things like the chinese adventure we were all ok. Then one man got ideas above his station and the past 7 years have been a result of that cataclysmic error of judgement.

We could and should have been the footballing powerhouse in Yorkshire, certainly in South Yorkshire. The mistakes are unforgivable. The lies told are unforgivable. The fucktard statements like Europe in 5 years are what you expect to hear on the apprentice from some twentysomething shit stain rather than from a responsible human being. While Warnock didn't help, McCabe was the puppetmaster and ultimately pissed away the opportunity for the future of the club (even as a Championship one) to be sustainable.

All that said, even now if McCabe and Phipps etc quit the spin and acted there is still chance for the ending legacy to be a positive one. I don't have a personal vendetta against anyone at SUFC, but I certainly hold one individual responsible for the near ruination of our club. If we stopped using phrases like game changing and started seeing action in deed rather than word I would park my opinion. I want exactly what everyone on this board wants, promotion and success. I wanted Blackwell to take us forward and any of the othe encuments whether I personally rated them or otherwise. My faith however isn't blind, it is based on recent history and the never ending fear that whilever McCabe is near the club there is always a chance that the next good player we have will be sold, and it will never be his fault.

And whenever we win a game, be it a skanked 1-0 of someone arse in the 98th minute or a 6-0 hammering of someone I am happy. My team has won. I believe that everyone on here will be happy as well. If we get promoted everyone will share in the rare glory. Its a blessing being a Blade, we all know it. But its such a bloody burden at times and when its an avoidable burden people have every right to be pissed at those responsible.

More a combination of conditioning and DNA I think - its all the years of "if there is a way to f*** it all up, United will find it". Underpinning us all is Hope I think - hope in spite of everything that has happened - be it generations of financial mismanagement, interference with managers, selling of key players at stupid times, the slide into oblivion. Hope is in our DNA - years of conditioning and parental training temper that with pessimism/realism.

Its easy to support a big team who win everything. It will never be easy to support United, it takes strength of character and a worldliness flyby-nights cannot hope to match even in their deeper moments of cynicism. Even the most ardent "clapper" has some element of dourness and pessimism and the most rampant miserable has hope burning somewhere inside them, because to give up on United or to have no opinion other than uncritical support is somehow to give up on yourself and your dreams.There are degrees of difference between us all but in the larger sense we are all United in my opinion.

UTB

In a nutshell, the essence of this thread, and in context.

Yohu really cannot help yourself can you? You take someone post then belittle the content and the poster just because its the opposite of your world view. I have not only read your posts on here but previously, in fact since I can remember you coming on the forum. You start by belittling anyone who happens to think things are wrong at the club, then you compound it by going after me because I don't agree with you. Because I won't go away (and trust me I won't) you then start insinuating I haven't read your post properly. Clearly you feel my comment is beneath you in some way because you come back around and pat me on the head telling me I have written pretty much the same as you. I haven't.

You may ask why I feel the way I do about McCabe rather than saying its an excuse for a McCabe tirade. At every turn you attempt to belittle my standpoint by insinuations of whether I have read your post properly or whether I am on some personal vendetta.

What you have done is utterly backed up my point that you are the sort of person who would come into a warzone saying "cheer up chaps it could be worse", with your statement that things have been worse. Far worse by all accounts. OK so tell me this, because everything is relative.

3) Have we ever been in a position of such power financially only to utterly fuck it up and plummet down the leagues?
5) Were we not on the cusp of financial security only to have pissed it up the wall in a single disasterous appointment?

Now we have been lower down the league (just) and we have had a rickety old ground that was not far short of falling down, while those across the city were hosting cup semi finals. But our current plight shouldn't even be. We were secure, even when we got relegated from the Premiership. We were financially sound and had parachute money to make sure our structure was sustainable. Even though we had done stupid things like the chinese adventure we were all ok. Then one man got ideas above his station and the past 7 years have been a result of that cataclysmic error of judgement.

We could and should have been the footballing powerhouse in Yorkshire, certainly in South Yorkshire. The mistakes are unforgivable. The lies told are unforgivable. The fucktard statements like Europe in 5 years are what you expect to hear on the apprentice from some twentysomething shit stain rather than from a responsible human being. While Warnock didn't help, McCabe was the puppetmaster and ultimately pissed away the opportunity for the future of the club (even as a Championship one) to be sustainable.

All that said, even now if McCabe and Phipps etc quit the spin and acted there is still chance for the ending legacy to be a positive one. I don't have a personal vendetta against anyone at SUFC, but I certainly hold one individual responsible for the near ruination of our club. If we stopped using phrases like game changing and started seeing action in deed rather than word I would park my opinion. I want exactly what everyone on this board wants, promotion and success. I wanted Blackwell to take us forward and any of the othe encuments whether I personally rated them or otherwise. My faith however isn't blind, it is based on recent history and the never ending fear that whilever McCabe is near the club there is always a chance that the next good player we have will be sold, and it will never be his fault.

And whenever we win a game, be it a skanked 1-0 of someone arse in the 98th minute or a 6-0 hammering of someone I am happy. My team has won. I believe that everyone on here will be happy as well. If we get promoted everyone will share in the rare glory. Its a blessing being a Blade, we all know it. But its such a bloody burden at times and when its an avoidable burden people have every right to be pissed at those responsible.

Yes I should have ignored your first post, Grecians correct.

You really cannot help yourself can you? You take someone post then belittle the content and the poster just because its the opposite of your world view. I have not only read your posts on here but previously, in fact since I can remember you coming on the forum. You start by belittling anyone who happens to think things are wrong at the club, then you compound it by going after me because I don't agree with you. Because I won't go away (and trust me I won't) you then start insinuating I haven't read your post properly. Clearly you feel my comment is beneath you in some way because you come back around and pat me on the head telling me I have written pretty much the same as you. I haven't.

This might seem a negative post to some,but for me it's one of the best iv'e read and very true in every aspect,especially the last sentance.

I
If it's in your DNA you can do little about it. Doom and gloom is a lot easier than actually showing confidence in the board and the manager.

Just reflect on Deadbats thread " we are going nowhere-who's at fault" started less than a month ago and see the numbers of posters queuing up to "like" the slaughter of board, manager and players with many adding their own twopenneth. All that after just 10 games into the season and a change of half the squad in the summer.

Intelligent, articulate blokes but severely rattled because their hopes for the club appeared to be fading rapidly. True supporters expressing fears of Armaggedon despite a relatively new and promising manager and new owners. Why? Because it has happened so many times before.

In our DNA? Yes, because our parents taught us to be pessimistic Blades, it's the United way.

Football generally is like that. Only two teams get automatic promotion out of 24. It's tough for everybody unless you choose to support some faraway glamour club. Thing is these moaners go to every match, week in week out. Their parents passed on their addiction to the club, and then fed them on a "doom and gloom"United diet from birth. The club have never done much to change anything, it's a selling club and always has been.

Theres just a chance the Prince and his manager can change the history of the club. It will be a slow burner but how those loyal fans deserve some sustained success. In many ways the first stage out of this division is one of the hardest, but once the momentum starts anything is possible. Look at Swansea and Southampton.

When we are travelling Europe with Nigel will we still be bipolar though? Of course we will![

Now all that nonsense is over, anybody fancy getting back to the thread which was a good one before we got sidetracked.

Now all that nonsense is over, anybody fancy getting the thread back on track? It was a worthy topic at times.

Last edited:
Good post though Bladesway - certainly from February onwards in the Prem and over the next two years aa series of almighty fuck ups from a number of people at the club chucked away a great opportunity for us to establish ourselves in the top division or there abouts.

Sometimes I come on here and wonder if i wandered onto the south Barnsley fc forum instead, then I read the threads and am amazed by the depth of feeling both good and bad directed at my club, it's executives, manager and players, sometimes warranted other times over reaction again both good and bad, but what disappoints me more than anything is when fellow fans attack each other over basically differing opinions, nothing more.
In this thread woody has his opinion which I replied to in a, I thought a lighthearted and humorous manner, blades way replied with his thoughts which considering the OP were a little obscure but had a tenuous link to the original subject, only for that opinion to start a small running battle between the two, which in my opinion perfectly illustrates the bi-polar nature of blades and at times has again in my opinion sometimes held back my beloved blades, yes the board have screwed up, royally, yes the managers have made being a blade almost untenable but at the end of the day, we the fans or should I say some sections have to take some responsibility for our current plight.
I know it's been beaten to death by boards, managers and players alike, but we truly ARE in it together and although we are, as the lifeblood of the club, sometimes we need to all pull in the same direction, put aside our grievences and give the team and board the Benifit of the doubt, even though we have been burnt on many occasions and have no reason to, if we want to move forward we need to be UNITED, a good example will I think come if we resign ched, like it or loathe it whatever the decision made, we all need to back the decision and show a united front.
Yes we do have bipolar tendencies but we all have one thing in common, a love of SUFC and like it or not others opinions are valid and should be respected no matter how vehemently you oppose them, allow others an opinion and agree to disagree, but there is no need for personal animosity amongst ourselves, there are enough people outside BDTBL that will happily kick us and vilify us without internal dissent amongst us the fans.
The future could be starting to look a little brighter, enjoy it and enjoy being what we all are....BLADES.
UTB

Does it really matter if a thread follows the first comment and then goes off on something else . No it doesn't . Both Woodward fan and Bladesway are right . There is no wrong here . Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. YES the board going back to Hassle , Hinclhcliffe , Whoolhouse , McDonald have fucked it up . McCabe with all his good intentions ,and wanting to expand the blades globally , buying into other foreign clubs , with the sole purpose for development of the clubs land / property assetts has fucked it up. On the other hand you could say that the McCabe family has saved us from administration. United , what anyone says ,have been mismanaged from the top downwards . Yes i am a bipolar supporter , but following the blades is like going out with a bunny burner.

I am both optimistic and pessimistic , but so what. One thing to remember . We were in the premiership not long back and now in league 1 . We have gone spectacularly backwards , now lets hope we can go forwards , but previous experience , history tells its own story . To move forward lets work on the pretence that the past is a foreign country , we never go there.

3 points , gorgeous day , UTB.

Steel City , Steel Supporters , Steel Seige Mentallity , Al Pacino's rousing half time inspirational speech in the film Any Given Sunday .( U tube ) .

We are not here to be liked , agree with each other , but we are all Bladesmen . Agree , disagree , bipolar , i couldn't care a toss. 3 points , winning is all that matters . Lets hope the men at the top grow some balls and treat and love the club like we do . We all spend hard earned cash on this club , so we are this club . Going up will be loving Higgy , when he bags his hat trick .

UTB

So who doesn't think that McCabe at points in his Chairmanship has been influenced by the supporters? I do. That IN MY OPINION is what fucked the whole situation up in the first place. To compound this, he then goes the other way to try and suggest by his actions that he is not influenced by supporters.

Sometimes I come on here and wonder if i wandered onto the south Barnsley fc forum instead, then I read the threads and am amazed by the depth of feeling both good and bad directed at my club, it's executives, manager and players, sometimes warranted other times over reaction again both good and bad, but what disappoints me more than anything is when fellow fans attack each other over basically differing opinions, nothing more.
In this thread woody has his opinion which I replied to in a, I thought a lighthearted and humorous manner, blades way replied with his thoughts which considering the OP were a little obscure but had a tenuous link to the original subject, only for that opinion to start a small running battle between the two, which in my opinion perfectly illustrates the bi-polar nature of blades and at times has again in my opinion sometimes held back my beloved blades, yes the board have screwed up, royally, yes the managers have made being a blade almost untenable but at the end of the day, we the fans or should I say some sections have to take some responsibility for our current plight.
I know it's been beaten to death by boards, managers and players alike, but we truly ARE in it together and although we are, as the lifeblood of the club, sometimes we need to all pull in the same direction, put aside our grievences and give the team and board the Benifit of the doubt, even though we have been burnt on many occasions and have no reason to, if we want to move forward we need to be UNITED, a good example will I think come if we resign ched, like it or loathe it whatever the decision made, we all need to back the decision and show a united front.
Yes we do have bipolar tendencies but we all have one thing in common, a love of SUFC and like it or not others opinions are valid and should be respected no matter how vehemently you oppose them, allow others an opinion and agree to disagree, but there is no need for personal animosity amongst ourselves, there are enough people outside BDTBL that will happily kick us and vilify us without internal dissent amongst us the fans.
The future could be starting to look a little brighter, enjoy it and enjoy being what we all are....BLADES.
UTB

I think I put somewhere in my comment that we are all happy when we win, all sad when we lose. What I will never accept is when I comment and someone says its nonsense or garbage. Also, I was asked to put some facts behind my initial comment to give some "credibility" to it. While you can argue its long winded (one for you to tap in IIYB) it states things that have factually happened and while open to opinion and speculation, these things have made us go backwards, not forwards.

Personally I don't mind a bit of controversy and posters jousting with each other. I hold no beef with Woodward, I may not agree but his opinion is as valid as the next. In reality none of it makes a blind bit of difference its words out there on the internet. McCabe will not lose sleep over it, the Prince won't be jetting in to look into our views and Jim Phipps will just spin what he is told to spin. Does that mean we care less? No bloody chance.

Yes, he's sacrificed managers when the finger of blame ever got close to pointing firmly at him, but at no point did anyone request he hires a worse bloke than the one binned.

What's hurt us more is the lack of succession planning. Manager builds squad to play a certain way, gets the chop, new manager wants to play diametrically opposite style of football, squad cant adapt, big upheaval, fails, gets chop, new manager wants to play etc etc etc.

Now let me see, humm, that Neil Warnock fella?

Back
Top Bottom