Osula or McBurnie to start against Chelsea?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes, they do but my point is Mccburine has more chance of winning headers than Osulsa. When Wes kicks the ball for a quick counter-attack, Mccbernie has a chance to head it on to Archer. not been able to do that in the last couple of games due to his his suspension.
If you had noticed his kicking on Saturday he was sending it out wider left and right allowing Archer and Osula to chase it down and press on defenders , probably as instructed by the manager. If Archer is playing the same role ( which is a natural one for him) as the last two games Mcburnies flick on headers will be to no one ( as previous games)

osula has done well in the last 2 games but i feel sure mcburnie will be back at chelsea osula will still be handy coming on for the last 20 against tiring defenders

I’d play Archer there and Slimane in midfield
Combined more in those 30+ minutes than Archer and McB have done all season, excluding the Everton game. They worked well together then but never progressed into a successful attacking partnership . Start Archie and Slim

If you had noticed his kicking on Saturday he was sending it out wider left and right allowing Archer and Osula to chase it down and press on defenders , probably as instructed by the manager. If Archer is playing the same role ( which is a natural one for him) as the last two games Mcburnies flick on headers will be to no one ( as previous games)
You saying we had a plan last Saturday? Novel!!

Osula looked shagged after 5 minutes on Saturday....Oli Mac to start v Chelsea.

McBurnie has to start, despite the fact he's a class A clown. Osula works his socks off but he shouldn't be leading the line for a side in the Prem.

I'd start Osula, no way should mcburnie start after that disgrace of a performance at Burnley.

Let's whip up a storm of interest in Osula, try and get him a few goals, sell him for 85m to Arsenal in the summer 🤣🤣🤣

Wilder has Archer more involved in play, instead of playing off the last defender and having 3 touches a game.

I think this will help McBurnie’s game, a little like when he and Ndiaye worked so well together.

McBurnie is a bit of a (loveable) tool, but he is a good footballer and his link-up play can be excellent.

What we need is someone making those 3rd man runs beyond McBurnie/Archer.

Step forward Messrs Brooks & McAtee.

Wes
Back Four
Souza - Hamer - Brooks
McAtee - Archer
McBurnie

With Brooks and Archer each stepping through into the next line in transition/possession

Interesting that a few players are really tired after about 70 mins. We know Wilder used to train the players at match intensity but we never had many injures. Was it Hecky's training that was over the top that the players were still exhausted on match days? Let's hope we get back to CW's injury record. Most Prem sides benches are full of players who can be game changers and that is what we really lack at the moment. Wilder was against the 5 subs rule and you can see why with some of the subs that come on. It was so good to see the positive reaction by the team on Saturday. They actually looked like they enjoyed playing that style instead of setting up to defend and hoping we would pinch a point or a late goal.

McBurnie should be looking at the Euros next year and thinking to himself that's where he should be
the first choice striker for Steve Clarke. Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes, Championship... Lawrence Shankland,
Scottish Premier. Oli McBurnie, nowhere.... or does he think his dream move to The Rangers is on the horizon?

Both will play their part. The club/Wilder will have a keen eye on Mcburnie's contract situation.

Both will play their part. The club/Wilder will have a keen eye on Mcburnie's contract situation.
Whether or not McBurnie should stay with us after this season is a difficult question. He did well in the Championship last year and has put in some decent performances this season, eg Everton and Man Utd. However, his availability is a concern. He has been with the club for almost four and a half seasons, during which time there have been 184 league matches. We have made good progress in the FA Cup during the period, by my reckoning another 15 matches played, though I may have overlooked a replay or two. In the other cup we have done poorly so only a handful of matches there. The stats in Saturday’s programme state that in his United career McBurnie has started 83 matches and made 62 appearances as a sub. Assuming roughly 200 possible appearances, 83 starts, or just 42%, is a disappointing return from a costly (for us) player, even in these days of greater rotation of squad members. He’s not a prolific scorer (25 in total) and surprisingly he is credited with just one assist. I’d say he is a useful player, but Is he sufficiently reliable to warrant another contract?

I’d say he is a useful player, but Is he sufficiently reliable to warrant another contract?

Agree I'm probably 60/40 in favour of keeping McBurnie, would offer a contract but only at the right price
If he wants to leave then it's hardly a disaster.

On the surface McBurnie is not exactly a good striker for scoring goals.
However he has several other qualities that don't always get noticed.

He's a jack of all trades, master of none type of striker, never be the greatest goalscorer but his link play, awareness and passing is decent.
He's also very good at defensive headers when we're defending corners.
Has an all elbows and legs awkward nuisance style that some defenders don't like playing against.
Eg: The Man City defenders looked very awkward/ uncomfortable defending against McBurnie with his back to goal.
He's a great character, very popular in and around training, players tend to like him.
He's a bad loser, hence his bad behaviour at times because he can't accept losing all the time and losers it
but you need a few of these types of winners, in your team.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this, with Brooks/Hamer pushing up to make the 3 behind Archer depending on the passage of play...

1702394301106.png

Altho, I'm expecting McBurnie up top and Archer playing more to the left like last time (which I'm also not against)

Neither of them will get a touch so it doesn't matter

Mcburnie needs to be moved on IMO… I’d rather go down playing the kids for experience than someone who’s had more than one bite of the apple to prove himself

I don’t rate Osula as highly as some.

McBurnie still prone to injury and his temperament also suspect.

They will share the job. McB to start, Osula to finish.

Who are we taking off for Osula? We'll be down to 10 men if McBurnie starts by half time. I really like mcburnie, but he's a liability.

I think McBurnie on a good day helps us win tomorrow (genuinely). I think a Mcburnie on a bad day gets injured or sent off.

I think he has a lot to prove and will play a big part tomorrow. Osula to come off the bench making a big impact to a game I would like to see.

When will it be socially acceptable to say that Osula looks garbage?

As a striker I don’t know what he is. Despite being massive he’s not physical, he rarely presses, I don’t think his workrate has been all that despite Wilder gushing over his Liverpool performance.

Osula’s hold-up play is way off the required standard and, in glimpses, his finishing at senior level looks abysmal. Cow arses and banjos spring to mind.

Yes he’s quick, but so far he’s one of the roughest diamonds I’ve seen to be aclaimed just because he pulls on a United shirt.

It’s a no brainer that McBurnie should start ahead of him when available, which tells you more about Osula than McBurnie.

Based on that I reckon CW will start Osula and he'll run himself into the ground chasing the defenders round like a madman and disrupting Chelsea's game.

McBurnie to come on at 72 minutes and score the winner in the 81st you heard it here first......
Unless Osula is just lazy, he never presses the defenders and he never runs after them much at all if you’ve been watching him. Maybe that’s what Wilder has been telling him to do. Not sure but he definitely doesn’t press

Id go Osula & McB up top with Slimane going into MF & Vinny moving into in defence and play 4-4-2

Back
Top Bottom