Montgomery to Hibs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

At the time Monty had about the same level of appreciation from some quarters as Osborn gets these days.
True....Monty had limited ability, at times struggled to pass the ball to our player stood just 5 yards away.
Some around me on the Kop used to laugh and say he must be wearing 50p shaped boots.
However he had a fantastic workrate and attitude, constant running and a tenacious/tough tackler.
Warnock always seemed to rate him, called him a managers type of player. Said Monty did the work unseen by fans.
His best season was probably in the Premier league because he didn't respect much better players and got stuck in like a rash.
Crap player really but some Blades took him to our hearts because you could guarantee 100% from him and he got stuck in.

My memory of him was he'd sometimes ghost in on the blind side, with just their keeper to beat from close range.
I'd get all excited, expecting a goal and he'd sky it over the bar.

Then a few weeks later there would be a goalmouth scramble, it would fall to Monty stood on the penalty spot area
he'd be in space and shoot, again skied over the bar or at times his shot would go nearer the corner flag.
Us fans didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Used to always think, wish that ball would fall to anyone but him, he's never going to score.

However I do remember him scoring a spectacular long ranger, think it was a late consulation goal.
it was a night match against someone like Scunthorpe, can't fully remember.

Last edited:
I liked watching Monty, he was a better player than most gave him credit for plus always put in a good shift, shame people always made him the scapegoat as it wasn't deserved.

Not sure if id take the Hibs job as my next role though, I think Scottish football is decent but any job outside of Rangers and Celtic always seems to come to an end quite quickly.

Good luck to him if he does take it though, maybe one day he'd been in contention for the United job if things go well for him and there's a position to fill.

I remember every week debating the merits of Monty v Thirlwell on the old Bladesunited with sitwell ad-nauseum every Sunday for about 2 months,

I was pro-Monty on this one and Sitwell was arguing the merits of Paul Thirlwell. I think the latter did actually score a good long ranger in December game once. One for Silent Blade

My mind is a little foggy, but I believe we finally called a truce on our mutual appreciation of Derek Geary after no doubt boring the tits off the forum.

Monty's contribution has aged well over time. He was regularly, unfairly I felt, accused of not being able to pass water, but you look back and appreciate comments from his fellow pros, like Merson, who said he was like a rash, he was just all over him the whole time. What a great servant. His approach to coaching and development makes him an ideal future SUFC manager.
Surely it was a short conversation arguing the merits of Paul Thirlwell?

I dunno - 19,000 every week... moving to an awesome brilliant city .... has nothing to lose ,just coming 3rd or 4th is doable esp with the 3rd best budget .... Gerrard did well and if he can match the job Ange Postecglou did - he will have Robbie Williams singing about him in no time.
Better Hibs as opposed to Watford I say - good luck to Monty I say - he has surprised me with his golden touch in Oz

At the risk of being somewhat parochial
Nowhere near 19k a week
3rd will be massive over achievement
Nowhere near 3rd best budget - 5th tops
No one (@Fester Road) will ever get near to matching Ange (including Rankers for the foreseeable

500 miles - get tae to fuck you specky twats

HHGH
(1-5)

Kozzy - netted twice @ Luton (in a 6-3 win) ?

I think you're thinking of a previous Right Back - Kevin Gage.

I saw Kozluk score away at Stoke (2-2 draw), and at home to...Doncaster? in his second spell.

I think he also scored away in a thrashing of Bradford but I missed that one.

They’ll be gutted when they realise he’s been coaching Aussie rules footie. Will be like Nick Lasso. 😊

I think you're thinking of a previous Right Back - Kevin Gage.

I saw Kozluk score away at Stoke (2-2 draw), and at home to...Doncaster? in his second spell.

.You may well be correct - the more I think about it the more it does appear somewhat surreal

At Hibernian he will do what Alex Ferguson did at Aberdeen.

Sure that was me? I always liked Montgomery .
I was really convinced it was you and I debating on this at the time, though it was about 20 years ago!

I did like Monty. What he did well he did really well and I think over time people have appreciated it more.

Good to hear you appreciated him too👍

I found Monty frustrating to watch as a player. He was determined, robust and never shirked a challenge, but the skilful output was missing.
Brought up as a footy mad youngster on Badger, Helmsley, Woodward Currie and Hodges, I was probably spoiled, and never thought much about a players work rate.

Pleased that he has made a name for himself in Straya with Central Coast Mariners. Good luck to the lad.

I found Monty frustrating to watch as a player. He was determined, robust and never shirked a challenge, but the skilful output was missing.
Brought up as a footy mad youngster on Badger, Helmsley, Woodward Currie and Hodges, I was probably spoiled, and never thought much about a players work rate.

Pleased that he has made a name for himself in Straya with Central Coast Mariners. Good luck to the lad.
To me, and don’t laugh too loudly, but Monty was our Makelele. But just like Makelele, he provides a platform for more creative players. If these players are not good enough then the performance falls flat, likewise if he was asked to shoulder too much creation himself.

But his discipline allowed the likes of Brown, Tonge, Jags, Ndlovu to flourish.

I’d liken it to operating a successful Cruise Liner. Because these latter players knew he was always there in the engine room doing the mucky stuff, it allowed them to be above decks taking care of the more glamorous side of the operation, yet one couldn’t work without the competence of the other.

Great to see he’s made it to Captain of the ship and is doing well.

If he does well he'll have his pick of jobs in England outside the PL. If it goes tits up there will still be plenty of opportunities for him back in Oz.

I was really convinced it was you and I debating on this at the time, though it was about 20 years ago!

I did like Monty. What he did well he did really well and I think over time people have appreciated it more.

Good to hear you appreciated him too👍
Could have been pinchy , he was the main Monty hater.
Although I did rate Thirlwell

Warnock always seemed to rate him, called him a managers type of player. Said Monty did the work unseen by fans.

Aahhh. That old chestnut. Remember Nigel Adkins saying that about Dean Hammond...

Basically it's just arrogant tosh from a manager who is implying that most fans aren't bright enough to appreciate the finer aspects of the game and just don't understand it as we're a bit thick. Which is clearly a load of bollox. Im never going to win MasterChef but I know what good food tastes like and what is shit.

Anyway, back to the point in question. Liked Monty for his enthusiasm and commitment but being honest he played like I would have done for United given half a chance when I was younger. I would have run around a lot, been a nuisance and kicked a few people, but been far far away from good enough. I liked him though for that very reason as at the time we weren't flushed with money (nowt changes) and it was a case of make do with the best you have available and at least he cared. A worker for the bee hive but the sort who gets swatted at a picnic as he was too slow to move out of the way when he was sniffing round the jam.

Always think of the Barry Manilow song Mandy when I think of Nick. 'Oh Monty, you came and you won the ball quickly...but then you gave it away...oh Monty'.

Like him though and would like to see him come back to the Lane one day.

Not sure about Bradford, you might be thinking of the one scored from about 25 yards away against Grimsby in a 4-1 win during the 02/03 season.

Could have been pinchy , he was the main Monty hater.
Although I did rate Thirlwell
But did you rate him more than Monty at the time?

😆😉

Must admit Thirlwell never really won me over. That period was a bit of a lull period if I recall while Warnock got his second wind after the triple assault team fell just short and before the 06/07 team did its stuff.

I can’t recall much about those that came and went between those two teams to be honest. Maybe Izale McCloud was in there somewhere? Maybe Lester too? Paul Shaw?

Feel for his family, leaving an Aussie idyllic coastal town after about 10 years....straight into winter in Scotland. Maybe he can "work from home" on the Central Coast.

True....Monty had limited ability, at times struggled to pass the ball to our player stood just 5 yards away.
Some around me on the Kop used to laugh and say he must be wearing 50p shaped boots.
However he had a fantastic workrate and attitude, constant running and a tenacious/tough tackler.
His best season was probably in the Premier league because he didn't respect much better players and got stuck in like a rash.
Crap player really but some Blades took him to our hearts because you could guarantee 100% from him and he got stuck in.

My memory of him was he'd sometimes ghost in on the blind side, with just their keeper to beat from close range.
I'd get all excited, expecting a goal and he'd sky it over the bar.

Then a few weeks later there would be a goalmouth scramble, it would fall to Monty stood on the penalty spot area
he'd be in space and shoot, again skied over the bar or at times his shot would go nearer the corner flag.
Us fans didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Used to always think, wish that ball would fall to anyone but him, he's never going to score.

However I do remember him scoring a spectacular long ranger, think it was a late consulation goal.
it was a night match against someone like Scunthorpe, can't fully remember.
He scored a pretty good goal away at Leeds from memory, the game we were locked in an empty stadium for what seemed like hours after the game

To me, and don’t laugh too loudly, but Monty was our Makelele. But just like Makelele, he provides a platform for more creative players. If these players are not good enough then the performance falls flat, likewise if he was asked to shoulder too much creation himself.

But his discipline allowed the likes of Brown, Tonge, Jags, Ndlovu to flourish.

I’d liken it to operating a successful Cruise Liner. Because these latter players knew he was always there in the engine room doing the mucky stuff, it allowed them to be above decks taking care of the more glamorous side of the operation, yet one couldn’t work without the competence of the other.

Great to see he’s made it to Captain of the ship and is doing well.
Aye! Just imagine having to invite all those boring git’s to dinners every night!
(Point taken and duly noted). I was just a kid back then, more interested in Mick Jones scoring than any player analysis.
Not much better now to be honest. 😂😂😂

He scored a pretty good goal away at Leeds from memory, the game we were locked in an empty stadium for what seemed like hours after the game

Yeh vaguely remember that...think he's a Leeds boy....it's typical that a player scores against the club they supported as a boy.

Never really rated Monty. Tried hard, but was severely limited. Don't really get this shite about 'he does the things people don't notice' that managers spout. If you can't tell what a player is doing, then he's probably not doing much. His one point of merit is that he looked like Lionel Messi compared to the bloke who succeeded him - Michael Doyle. Oh, and didn't he score a screamer in a 4-0 defeat of Birmingham a long time ago? Silent Blade?

Back
Top Bottom