Montgomery to Hibs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have been following Central Coast Mariners this season. They play some cracking football. Standard is about Championship I would say But Monty how could you leave this . https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/central-coast-stadium&psig=AOvVaw23hB2kbdfZgJoKLb-Qr9wU&ust=1693594114775000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCNCaxu7Hh4EDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE
I watch a fair amount of A League. I don't think it's anywhere near Championship standard. More like League 2.

Never really rated Monty. Tried hard, but was severely limited. Don't really get this shite about 'he does the things people don't notice' that managers spout. If you can't tell what a player is doing, then he's probably not doing much. His one point of merit is that he looked like Lionel Messi compared to the bloke who succeeded him - Michael Doyle. Oh, and didn't he score a screamer in a 4-0 defeat of Birmingham a long time ago? Silent Blade?

I think that is very harsh. I remember the playoff semis against PNE, when he basically got us to Wembley on his own.
Then the shitshow final itself, when only him and the defence turned up.

He had a good Prem season in 2006/07 and arguably if he hadn't done his shoulder at Villa, we could have stayed up.

Yes, he had headless chicken games, but he also had plenty of seasons with a team full of shite around him.

Never really rated Monty. Tried hard, but was severely limited. Don't really get this shite about 'he does the things people don't notice' that managers spout. If you can't tell what a player is doing, then he's probably not doing much. His one point of merit is that he looked like Lionel Messi compared to the bloke who succeeded him - Michael Doyle. Oh, and didn't he score a screamer in a 4-0 defeat of Birmingham a long time ago? Silent Blade?
Can’t give enough likes for your accurate appraisal of Doyle 👍🏼

Done deal apparently the word on the street down under. Will be announced on Monday. Brings monty geographically closer to Sheffield when we next need a manager 👀

Different gravy though, outside the Old Firm the Scottish Prem is Championship at best.

mid-table Championship too

From our promotion winning team last season, how many of Rangers starting line up last time out would get in?

1694419837143.png

Butland I do rate, Cantwell and Tavernier in the squad, but thats it

Without home support that team would struggle to make top 6 imo

Their intimidating home support helps them to a few decent results in Europe (2-2 vs PSV), but on the road they went down 5-1

mid-table Championship too

From our promotion winning team last season, how many of Rangers starting line up last time out would get in?

View attachment 170767

Butland I do rate, Cantwell and Tavernier in the squad, but thats it

Without home support that team would struggle to make top 6 imo

Their intimidating home support helps them to a few decent results in Europe (2-2 vs PSV), but on the road they went down 5-1
That side would be mid/bottom half Championship I think

As others have pointed out, I wonder how he sold the move to his wife and kids? Having read the article, his twins must be about 12 years old now, so I bet they are delighted to move from Australia to Scotland!
Assume they may have family in Scotland though, so perhaps that it.

As others have pointed out, I wonder how he sold the move to his wife and kids? Having read the article, his twins must be about 12 years old now, so I bet they are delighted to move from Australia to Scotland!
I have a daughter & 2 grandkids (12 & 9) in Australia. They are actively seeking to move back to the UK. Many reasons, family amongst them, but also the horrific heat at certain times and forest fires - if you’ve had one in the vicinity you really don’t want to have another one.

There can be lots of reasons. Australia is sometimes portrayed as some sort of paradise but, like anywhere else, it has its downsides too.

I have a daughter & 2 grandkids (12 & 9) in Australia. They are actively seeking to move back to the UK. Many reasons, family amongst them, but also the horrific heat at certain times and forest fires - if you’ve had one in the vicinity you really don’t want to have another one.

There can be lots of reasons. Australia is sometimes portrayed as some sort of paradise but, like anywhere else, it has its downsides too.
Yes that's true.
My wife's mother and her brother and family live in Perth and I've been many times. Brother-in-law loves it and will never come back but it's not for everyone.
The thing I've noticed, unless it's just the places I've been, is how much cleaner it is there. The parks and open spaces are pristine, no litter and very little graffiti, and seem to be well maintained.

The thing I've noticed, unless it's just the places I've been, is how much cleaner it is there. The parks and open spaces are pristine, no litter and very little graffiti, and seem to be well maintained.
That’s true of most places that aren’t England in my experience. Always hits me how little civic pride there is as soon as I arrive back here.

Edinburgh is a international destination for tourism it's hardly somewhere like Walsall

He's said they are moving over in a few months time. I guess the Aussie schools break up over Christmas for their summer. He's posted how his dad would visit him down under but he lost his mother a few years ago so being closer to family is probably important to him.

Completely new challenge. Good luck to him. Scottish football won't get more interesting unless someone can scupper the top two - hopefully our former Blade!

I’m sure they have Australian citizenship now so Australia will always be there for the family to go back to if it doesn’t work out so it’s a good move and a great chance to move on to bigger things if he does well.

Montgomery was eligible for Scotland (made two U21 appearances) despite being born in Leeds. Quite how much family is left on Scotland is anyone's guess but there is a connection.
In theory or though not itk it could be none just has to been born there or have a parent or grandparent born there. My maternal Grandma was born in Dundee, lived there all for about 6 weeks before being moved to Barrow during WW2 due to her Dad being an Electrical engineer on Warships. But as her place of birth is recorded as Dundee, Scotland that technically makes me 1/4 Scottish. To make matters worse my Dad was born in Germany with his Dad being in the British Army when my Dad joined he was posted to Dhekelia barracks on Cyprus, I was born at RAF Akrotiri at the now defunct The Princess Mary's Hospital Akrotiri. Which confuses the hell out of anyone when you are trying to apply for a visa or passport but that is another story.

I know folk who have lived in Brisbane and Perth - significantly bigger than where Monty Has been based - who were bored out of their minds. Huge suburbs, small, quiet city centres, good for outdoors stuff but not a fat lot else is what I’m told. I’ve been to both places and I’d live in Edinburgh above either.

Melbourne and Sydney are legitimately great cities.

28 October / 06 December / 07 February 2024
and if they finish in the Top Six, there's an additional
away fixture at Celtic Park.

Looking very much forward to watching how he
sails on the SPFL ocean.

HIS NAME IS NICK (his name is Nick)
MONTGOMERY (Montgomery)
His name is Nick Mont-gom-er-eeeee...

Quality chant. Also anyone else remember the I Was There When Monty Scored t-shirts that were briefly on sale in the club shop? I didn't buy one because I wasn't.
I missed those. I WAS THERE when Monty scored in the 4-0 demolition of dirty Leeds at Elland Road.

Nothing but fond memories of him as a player. Yes he was technically limited, but he never, EVER gave less than 100%, and given some of the dross we had in the middle in the years after he left, I'd dare to say he wasn't as bad as many people like to make out.

Back
Top Bottom