How confident are you about being promoted this season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

With a fully fit squad there is no one that can touch us in this league and therefore we should fear no one. Only thing that can stop us is injuries or selling players
I've been saying this since we had multiple injuries and just carried on winning. Not overly concerned about loss of form etc, we have squad depth to cope with it. All the teams below us are busy taking points off each other, it's a straight fight for title in my opinion

Well i do really hope you are right mate and I to feel as you do but we are talking Blades here and history tells me we will try our best to fuck it up .Either the board will drop a great big clanger or the league will dock us points or our main man will get locked up for something he has not done OR the new owners will welch on buying the club and the prince will have a fire sale of all players worth more than a tenner .
….. and I thought I was a pessimist! 😂

There are worse options for us than retaining the Prince as owner …. maybe? :)

About 50/50, which is for me very optimistic..

The funny thing is, we last went up during mcabe and prince battling it out for control, now we have another cloaked figure lurking to buy us and an embargo, these players have gone up before during trying times, so hopefully they can keep thier heads through the chaos behind the scenes, and repeat that incredible feat...

Reactions: Dkc
The writing was on the wall way back. We had the ability to quite simply achieve automatics but were undermined purely by injuries. When the injuries subsided we returned back to automatic form.

The same was true last year but we were then undermined by an incompetent manager, £ for £ and in terms of squad quality relative to the division one if, if not the the worst appointments in our history. Hecky or Wilder in situ all season and I'm confident we'd be a Premier League club now.

We just need to avoid an injury crisis and/or mass player sales before the end of the season and we'll achieve that. It's only a shame that we can't act like a normal club and be adding players to cover all bases this season with an eye on improving our our squad ready for next season. Then again that wouldn't be SUFC 🤣

Last edited:
About 50/50, which is for me very optimistic..

The funny thing is, we last went up during mcabe and prince battling it out for control, now we have another cloaked figure lurking to buy us and an embargo, these players have gone up before during trying times, so hopefully they can keep thier heads through the chaos behind the scenes, and repeat that incredible feat...
I'm a bit more confident but not that much. The bookies give us an 87% chance of autos. Given that we're the Blades and the uncertainty of the takeover, I'd put it at maybe 80%.

100% certain that we won't win the playoffs if we drop down into the pack.

I'm a bit more confident but not that much. The bookies give us an 87% chance of autos. Given that we're the Blades and the uncertainty of the takeover, I'd put it at maybe 80%.

100% certain that we won't win the playoffs if we drop down into the pack.
Agree about the playoffs, morale kills you, and players are thinking, that's a month of the holiday season lost..

We wanna be on the beach like Fulham were at the end of last season..

I'm looking at it mathematically and I really can't see us being caught. 18 games left with most teams needing a 5 or 6 game turnaround (they win, we lose) to overtake us.

We do have a challenging run in, however nothing demonstrates in recent weeks that the teams below us are meeting or outperforming the required points per game to cause any worries.

We're going up. I am worried about next season though but who gives a fuck
If you're looking at it mathematically then it's pretty clear that a large number of teams could overtake us, assuming we have an absolute disaster. But as you say, logically there's nothing to suggest that collapse happening, and even if our form dips, other teams will have to go on a hell of a run!

Here's some more Football mathematics for your pleasure :)

Wonder if any bookies are offering odds of us not getting promoted. If you could get, say, 4-1 I'd be tempted to put a few hundred quid on if I had it to spare.

Wonder if any bookies are offering odds of us not getting promoted. If you could get, say, 4-1 I'd be tempted to put a few hundred quid on if I had it to spare.

4-1 😄

More likely 1-4 DKC

Bookies don't allow you to win owt, only lose. Shareholders and rich BET365 owners to appease

4-1 😄

More likely 1-4 DKC

Bookies don't allow you to win owt, only lose. Shareholders and rich BET365 owners to appease
On Skybet we're 9/2 to be involved in the playoffs. Decent odds imo.

I think I saw some blade tweet exactly that. They'd put £10 on blades not to get promoted at 4-1 so they'd have at least £50 to drown their sorrows.

Reactions: Dkc

I think I saw some blade tweet exactly that. They'd put £10 on blades not to get promoted at 4-1 so they'd have at least £50 to drown their sorrows.
I shoved 50 on when we were 25/1 to go down in the Warnock PL season. It wasn't any consolation. I actually thought my bet had jinxed us. I got a round in the pub after the Wigan game, explaining that I was quids in and almost got smacked for daring to bet against the Blades. Probably not worth it imo but at 9/2 you'd need to put at least 100 on to make some decent money. If we beat Rotherham the odds will probably drift further.

Heres my prediction for a United promotion.

We'll go up,
Last day of the season we'll be three points clear of Norwich or somebody with a goal difference of plus four

We will be losing 1-0 at Birmingham, Khadra scored it, and Norwich will race into a two goal lead after 5 minutes against Blackpool.

One more goal for Norwich or Birmingham and we slip to third.

The next 85 minutes is spent in sheer panic as United can't put a single pass together such is their state of mind, but neither team scores again, our game is finished, we've lost 1-0

Norwich are still 2-0 up but have hit the post eleven times and missed a penalty.

We then hear that there is nine minutes of additional time in Norwich's game.

Norwich score again and there is utter dejection amongst United's support.

But then we hear that the goal has been disallowed, cue absolute bedlam.

But there's still seven minutes left to play in Norwichs game.

The pain is too much and people all around South Yorkshire and in St Andrews are having severe anxiety attacks.

Norwich score again, and this time it will count, we are third in the League with three minutes to go at Norwich.

Carrow Road is going bonkers but then out of the blue Blackpool score a freak goal with seconds left to play

The ref blows his whistle, Norwich have won 3-1, we've lost 1-0 and got promoted by virtue of a one goal difference.

That's a proper United promotion from the position we're currently in

That’s because we’re expected to go up automatic. If we do, you’ve done your money, unless you believe that’s how we’ll achieve promotion?
That's the idea. You lose money if we get automatic, but you're so chuffed you don't care. If we screw it up at least you have a big wedge as consolation

If there's an 87% chance of going up, doesn't that mean the odds of not should be between 7 and 8 to 1 (I.e 13%)

If there's an 87% chance of going up, doesn't that mean the odds of not should be between 7 and 8 to 1 (I.e 13%)

Bookies never work to a 100% book though. If they make something 8/1 at true odds, best you’re going to get is about 13/2 if that.

Bookies never work to a 100% book though. If they make something 8/1 at true odds, best you’re going to get is about 13/2 if that.
Fair enough. I'm feeling like a £20 bet to live myself a £260 consolation fund if it goes tits up.

At this stage of the season its not impossible for one of the play off pack to go on a run and average 2.5 points a game. That would give Watford 89 points and Norwich 87. So if we get 90 points I will be confident of promotion
Not impossible, but highly unlikely. You've got 25 points in your last 10 games (Burnley have 27 - can't think where the other three went!) but neither West Brom nor Middlesbrough, the supposed form teams, have manged 25 in the last 10. It's hard to imagine any of the others getting 25 in 10 matches and then continuing at 2.5 per game over the last 8. That would be 115-point form over almost half a season.

Those teams in the playoff positions are 13 points plus behind us. take into consideration goal differences. we would have to have a record-breaking run of defeats and concedes a load of goals. they would have to go on a record-breaking run of wins and score loads of goals. Promotion is ours to lose.

Those teams in the playoff positions are 13 points plus behind us. take into consideration goal differences. we would have to have a record-breaking run of defeats and concedes a load of goals. they would have to go on a record-breaking run of wins and score loads of goals. Promotion is ours to lose.
Our GD is 15 more than Norwich and we are 15 points ahead of them. That means for them to catch us, there would need to be five matchdays when we lose and they win. That's five games where our GD falls, and theirs increases.

If all of these games are won / lost by a single goal, our GD would be five more than theirs. But the chances are, a few of these games will be won or lost by a greater margin than a single goal.

If we lost the next 5 and Norwich won the next 5 our GD would be about equal.

To many doom-and-gloom merchants on this site. or wendyites in disguise. always look at the negatives. never positive.

To many doom-and-gloom merchants on this site. or wendyites in disguise. always look at the negatives. never positive.
Perhaps we're just too beaten over the years.

I'm still not confident when Billy's drinking a beer on an open top bus with a banner on it.

I am confident we will go up. Thats why I am a season ticket holder on the Kop. and supported The Blades since 1964.

Back
Top Bottom