How confident are you about being promoted this season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In my opinion it goes one of two ways. We'll win everyone game 1-0 or 2-1 or we'll just lose all the big games and miss out.

Any championship team from 3rd down to 12th, has a chance of making the play offs.

With the turbulence below us so close between those teams, we are destined for automatic promotion. They won’t even get close to us.

That is my view as a very long term supporter and a confirmed pessimist!

Any championship team from 3rd down to 12th, has a chance of making the play offs.

With the turbulence below us so close between those teams, we are destined for automatic promotion. They won’t even get close to us.

You're right, the fact it is so competitive means they're all beating each other. No one team on a charge, except maybe WBA but were slowed by Burnley. They've all still got to play eachother too

Well i do really hope you are right mate and I to feel as you do but we are talking Blades here and history tells me we will try our best to fuck it up .Either the board will drop a great big clanger or the league will dock us points or our main man will get locked up for something he has not done OR the new owners will welch on buying the club and the prince will have a fire sale of all players worth more than a tenner .

I was saying to my pal yesterday... Wednesday are 7 points clear, I think they're pretty much up now. Blades are 14 points clear (inc goal difference) & I don't think we're up 😂

My confidence is 60-40 in promotion favour. Once we get down to 10 games & we're in this position I'll settle

February is a tough month. If we are still 9/10pts clear on 1st March, i'll start to believe.

Feb Fixtures:
Rotherham (A)
Swansea (H)
Boro (H)
Millwall (A)
Watford (H)

Wins against Boro and Watford would be amazing, but i'd list them both as "must not lose" games. Take draws now. Rotherham will be no pushovers and Millwall in the league will be much harder than they were in the cup. I'm expecting a defeat in there somewhere and probably 7 points returned.

Into March and the fixtures continue to be tricky.

March fixtures:
Blackburn (A)
Reading (A)
Luton (H)
Sunderland (A)
West Brom (H)

God knows what Rovers team will turn up. Reading too are hit and miss. Luton always a tough battle, then you have a very good Sunderland side and a rejuvenated WBA.

I'd be surprised if we are still averaging 2pts per game after that lot.
Except in the reverse fixtures against those teams we got exactly 2 points per game W6 D2 L2 and on paper the forthcoming fixtures are a bit easier in that we have the best teams _ Boro, WBA and Watford at home when they were away first time round.

Wwve
Agree we've seen plenty of excitement, we always seem to be involved in promotion battles and kind of take it for granted.
I once knew a Coventry fan in his early 30's and he told me in his lifetime he's never known Coventry even come close to challenging for promotion.
I checked the records and amazingly he was correct, told him at United when we've been in league 1 and even many season in the Championship
we're always one of the pre-season favourites and tend to be up there challenging for promotion.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of "achieving".

You seem to class it as winning matches, agree we regularly win more matches than we lose.
Normally "achieving" is winning trophies or at least challenging for them.

However I would say "achieving" is the reasonable expectation based on the size and history of a club.
Therefore my view of Sheff Utd achieving is having a long run finishing comfortable mid table in the PL seeing the world best players every season.
Also we'd then be able to improve the training ground, which is currently at best, average Championship level.
Also for a club our size, our stadium capacity needs to be at least 36K, so would like to see that improved too.
We've not won a major trophy in almost 100 years and not got two a cup final in nearly 90. When you think that the likes of Bradford, Swansea, Cardiff, Huddersfield. Palace, Brighton. Bolton. Blackpool, Boro, Millwall, Burnley, Ipswich, Norwich, Watford, Luton, Oldham. Charlton etc have done one or the other in that period, we really are appalling under achievers

Complacency is going to be our biggest enemy. But we’ve got the perfect pacesetters in Burnley, so let’s aim for the top spot…The chasing pack will sort themselves out.

Let's see where we are at the end of January, but we're certainly in an extremely good position.

February will be tough, but as long as we keep enough players fit and things don't go against us we should be fine.

The teams behind us will all drop points so we just need to keep picking them up.

“We have to try to win them all if possible because only then are we going to have a chance to catch them or to be in a good position at the end of the season.”

Who said the above ^

If Watford win their next six games i might believe Bilic.....#74
They have
Middlesboro
Reading
Blackburn
Burnley
West Brom
Sheffield United

I'm sure there was a poll at the start of the season asking what position in the league each member thought we would finish in.

Maybe those who predicted top two should not answer the question posed by the OP.

They are the ones who had belief and cofdence from the outset.

Just keep on matching or bettering 3rd places results.
The camaraderie around the club at the minute is fantastic.
We're only in 2nd to 3rd gear at the minute it feels, with flashing glimpses of excellence.
Wait until we have a few 5th gear games.
Someone is going to get a royal hammering from us soon.

It's boring as hell maybe, but i'm trying not to think about it until perhaps the 10 games to go stage.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have opened up a gap like we have at this stage of the season. But never the less, I try not to give too much of a though or toss about the opposition.

If we continue to win games, then we are well and truly in position to go up. But for now the concentration has to solely be on this in my opinion.

As said, we've got some huge games coming up and failing to produce in these could quite easily reduce the gap a bit and make it more twitchy bum. Factor in that the second half of the season WILL improve the performances of certain teams as well, not just those fighting for a top 6 spot... but those fighting for their Championship lives.

So for now, we concentrate on upping our own game and performances and we continue to tick them off on an individual basis. If we do that, our fate noe looks after itself..... simples.

I still wouldn't trust us to do it if we were 31 points clear with 10 games to go.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say my confidence in us being Promoted currently stands at between 1 and 10.

Can only be us blades that has any doubts regarding promotion. Pointwise the past 10 games are outstanding,playwise we,ve improved of late and with players back no reason we can even be better playwise the next 10. Still, playing even better doesn,t automatically give us more points. Whatever, this season is exciting stuff,but somehow the Wilder promotionseason to P.L. posters on here were much more positive then than now. Impressed with were we are and what we,ve achieved so far. Keep it up. UTB

At this stage of the season its not impossible for one of the play off pack to go on a run and average 2.5 points a game. That would give Watford 89 points and Norwich 87. So if we get 90 points I will be confident of promotion

That's factually incorrect.
Winning and being promoted from league 1 and the Championship isn't success for a club our size (historically the 18th biggest in England).
We've only spent a pathetic 6 seasons out of a possible 34 seasons in the Premier League.
We are well down the rankings based on playing in the Premier League, behind Stoke, Swansea, Bolton, Watford, Birmingham, Portsmouth etc etc.

We are the biggest club in England with such a poor record of hardly playing in the Premier League.

However before the PL were spent nearly 60 seasons in the top flight.
In the 70's I remember my grandad saying to me.
When he was growing up everyone just took it for granted...Sheffield United would always be in the top flight for ever.
We still hold the Sheffield record of having 37 (thirty seven) consecutive seasons in the top flight,
compared to Wednesdays 16 (sixteen) consecutive seasons in the top flight.

Another interesting stat is the longest spell we've had outside the top flight is 14 seasons.
Where as Wednesday longest spell outside the top flight is the current 23 seasons and counting.
Both Sheffield clubs have massively underperformed...based on their history and size.
I thought we had only spent 5 seasons in prem since it's inception 2 under Bassett, 2 wilder ,1 warnock but might be wrong

The only way we're not going up is if we get docked points!
And the football gods wouldn't stoop that low, surely.
Would they?!
:oops:

The table after 28 games suggests a couple of notable pointers - firstly, that United and Burnley are especially strong leading sides by typical Championship standards and secondly, that the other sides in promotion contention are considerably more inconsistent than tends to typically the case.

Last season, for instance, Fulham were generally acknowledged to be tearing up the division. Their +48 goal difference after 28 games certainly attests to that, but they had 58 points - just 1 point ahead of where we are, and 4 fewer than Burnley. It’s fair to say that both United and Burnley are particularly strong Championship front-runners.

At the same time, 3rd place Watford’s 44 points after 28 games this season would have seen them sat down in 8th spot in the the table at the same stage last season.

The results to date, therefore, tend to suggest that there is rather bigger gap in quality between United and Burnley as against the rest of the division, than is usually the case.

We’re looking at upcoming fixtures as being a tough run but in reality, there is ample evidence to suggest that United are far better than all of our upcoming opponents and the games in February and March are only ‘relatively tough’ compared to the run of games in December. United will still start as favourites in each of the games in February and March.

With a fully fit squad there is no one that can touch us in this league and therefore we should fear no one. Only thing that can stop us is injuries or selling players

I think it was mentioned elsewhere that only blades could look at Wednesday’s position and go they’re definitely promoted then look at ours and go well we’ll still mess it up.

(Apologies to the original poster I’d credit you but can’t remember who said it)
It were me.

I've never been more confident that we will be promoted as I am at the moment btw. It would take a fuck up of biblical proportions for us to miss out, surely it can't happen.

I don't think we've ever had such a lead with so few games left.

Even if we limped to the finish like we did in 97/98 should be enough.

We should however be looking to chase Burnley down and aiming for 100 points.
Ambitious
Are you sure you support Sheffield United ?

Even when it's as good as it gets we always play second fiddle to someone

Back
Top Bottom