How confident are you about being promoted this season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’d feel more comfortable if we can take 6 points from Rotherham and Swansea and extend our lead.

But then who should we be afraid of? We can beat Boro and only some really poor defending meant we didn’t beat them away. We thumped them at home last time and they have largely the same group. Watford were very fortunate to beat us in a tight game after a poorly executed corner from us. They have patchy form. Keep Sarr under wraps and we can do them too. We’ve already beaten West Brom under Corberon so who do we have to fear?

Even Burnley, whilst wanting to exact revenge, there was no injustice to the 5-2. They are without Harewood-Bellis right now and he was the one who stopped it being a cricket score. If they play Taylor next to Maatsen they can expect more of the same. I saw they did sign a 6’2” Swedish centre back, so maybe they are addressing this weakness other teams have been inert in exploiting. But we can go there and turn them over; that’s what I like about us - we can roughhouse but we can also play.

Were it not for that patchy 6 game spell where injuries really did impact us, we’d probably be too now. Burnley have had nothing like that to deal with.

We fear no one. Into the breach dear friends! Onwards!

8 wins, 1 draw and 9 defeats does it. With that watford would have to do better than win , draw, win , draw all the way to the end of the season.

Does anyone still think we will mess this up? If it was any other team than Blades we'd be saying they're out of sight, but because it's our own team we're hyper skeptical.

Even if we lost certain players this month, I think we'd have enough to get over the line.

Interested to see how confident we are feeling. Keep it steady and we're Premier League bound.
Let's say that over the next 6 games we only get 10 points which would put us on 67 points. Watford (over their 6 games) win all 6 games so accrue 18 points - that would leave them on 62. Watford won't win all 6 games for sure, so our lead at the moment is huge. Come out of that with a good points return and it really looks on!

Blades next 6 games:

sufc.png

Watford next 6 games are reduculously hard:

watford.png

We have a hard run of games afterwards, but I predict that the gap will be even bigger between us and whoever is in 3rd after the next 6 games.

Sunderland, Norwich and Luton have the 'easier' fixtures over the next 6, but those other teams have an even greater margin to overcome.

It's looking good, but we had still better keep our powder dry.

Boro:

middlesborough.png

West Brom:

west brom.png

Luton:

Luton.png

Norwich:

norwich.png

Sunderland:

Sunderland.png

Can't see any others making a real attack for 2nd spot.

UTMB

table.png

February is a tough month. If we are still 9/10pts clear on 1st March, i'll start to believe.

Feb Fixtures:
Rotherham (A)
Swansea (H)
Boro (H)
Millwall (A)
Watford (H)

Wins against Boro and Watford would be amazing, but i'd list them both as "must not lose" games. Take draws now. Rotherham will be no pushovers and Millwall in the league will be much harder than they were in the cup. I'm expecting a defeat in there somewhere and probably 7 points returned.

Into March and the fixtures continue to be tricky.

March fixtures:
Blackburn (A)
Reading (A)
Luton (H)
Sunderland (A)
West Brom (H)

God knows what Rovers team will turn up. Reading too are hit and miss. Luton always a tough battle, then you have a very good Sunderland side and a rejuvenated WBA.

I'd be surprised if we are still averaging 2pts per game after that lot.

How have we over achieved in that period (which has seen about 15% played in the top division and a greater amount played in the 3rd and 4th tier
I'd say we've seen a lot more excitement, promotions and good times than most clubs our size and even doubled the fan base if that's not over achieving I don't know what is considering we don't have to build up Brighton esque debt to do it

Am pretty confident of seeing it through to the premier BUT I was also confident for Wigan home Chelsea away pigs semi final Ched season etc etc so ( gulp ) apparently not confident at all🤞🤞🤞

Feb Fixtures:
Rotherham (A) - won't be easy, who saw them dicking Blackburn 4-0 and nicking a point at Watford. One we should be winning though.
Swansea (H) - inconsistent Swansea, win one, draw one, lose one. Again at home, one we should win.
Boro (H) - Didn't see them losing to Sunlan yesterday but they were well beaten by all accounts. Would take a draw now.
Millwall (A) - Always hard, play like we did in the Cup and it's 3 points.
Watford (H) - Depends which Watford turn up, draw will do.

If we get 11 points from those 6 games we will have done very well indeed. That will put us on 68 points with 12 games left. 5 or 6 wins and a couple of draws from those final 12 should be enough.

I'd say we've seen a lot more excitement, promotions and good times than most clubs our size and even doubled the fan base if that's not over achieving I don't know what is considering we don't have to build up Brighton esque debt to do it
Well most clubs our size might not have had as many promotions as us, but that's generally because they've been in the top division for far longer which is a much greater success if you ask me.

I don't think we've doubled the fanbase - we were getting 30k attendances 30 years ago. Like with all clubs, attendances fluctuate depending on on-field activity. I remember going to 35k sellouts in the early 90s.

For me it's quite simple, there's a lot of football left to be played and a lot of points left to play for so I'll not be fully confident until the maths confirms it.

It's not completely unreasonable to think that at some point we might have a bad spell, like we did in October, and let's say lose 3 on the trot. Assume that's the next 3 games and Watford have a good spell and win 3 on the trot. That leaves a 4 point gap with 15 games to play.

Equally, Burnley could shit the bed and go six winless like we did and see their lead dissappear while we win the title at a canter and they get dragged into a promotion scrap.

Do I think either will happen? No... but it could!

I'm quite the pessimist when it comes to united, as most of us are, but I dont think this is an overly-pessimistic way of looking at it.

When it comes to football things can very quickly go sour and it's important not to get too carried away and end up with an eggy face and a broken heart...

I still think we'll get promoted though.

In addition, having a decent lead going into the last 5 games looks even more promising. I know that 'no game is ever easy' but there are no '6 pointers' for the run in.

sufc.png

Agree we've seen plenty of excitement, we always seem to be involved in promotion battles and kind of take it for granted.
I once knew a Coventry fan in his early 30's and he told me in his lifetime he's never known Coventry even come close to challenging for promotion.
I checked the records and amazingly he was correct, told him at United when we've been in league 1 and even many season in the Championship
we're always one of the pre-season favourites and tend to be up there challenging for promotion.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of "achieving".

You seem to class it as winning matches, agree we regularly win more matches than we lose.
Normally "achieving" is winning trophies or at least challenging for them.

However I would say "achieving" is the reasonable expectation based on the size and history of a club.
Therefore my view of Sheff Utd achieving is having a long run finishing comfortable mid table in the PL seeing the world best players every season.
Also we'd then be able to improve the training ground, which is currently at best, average Championship level.
Also for a club our size, our stadium capacity needs to be at least 36K, so would like to see that improved too.

In addition, having a decent lead going into the last 5 games looks even more promising. I know that 'no game is ever easy' but there are no '6 pointers' for the run in.

View attachment 151873

The last 3 or 4 games of any season can be really tricky to predict

because teams near the bottom fighting relegation tend to offer a really tough challenge.
Where as mid table teams with nothing to play for sometimes don't focus so much, so can become really easy opposition.
Conversely mid table teams have nothing to play for, sometimes play open attacking football with no pressure, so can be much tougher opposition.

I think it was mentioned elsewhere that only blades could look at Wednesday’s position and go they’re definitely promoted then look at ours and go well we’ll still mess it up.

(Apologies to the original poster I’d credit you but can’t remember who said it)

CC19392F-F6ED-4099-9586-EC22E876C4D1.jpeg

It were me.

The last 3 or 4 games of any season can be really tricky to predict

because teams near the bottom fighting relegation tend to offer a really tough challenge.
Where as mid table teams with nothing to play for sometimes don't focus so much, so can become really easy opposition.
Conversely mid table teams have nothing to play for, sometimes play open attacking football with no pressure, so can be much tougher opposition.
Very true mate. I was more of the thinking that we won't be losing to the teams around us, teams that need points from us.

Even in the wilderness years of league one we had a play off final, fa cup semi and league cup semi. Since the late 80s, I've been to way more big cup games and play off games than my best mates from when I was a lad (Boro, Newcastle, Sunderland).

Under Bassett, Warnock and Clough, we were spoiled for cup runs, just so sad we couldn't get over the line. But we were close, Arsenal & Newcastle at Old Trafford, Liverpool at Anfield, Reed v Spurs at the Lane, unbelievable effort v Hull. Some amazing memories, which I wouldn't swap for a few games in the PL.

No, we've not had sustained top level football, but the UK is different now, the old industrial towns & cities have declined terminally and been usurped by smaller but better run clubs with smaller fan bases. The disproportionate strength of southern clubs illustrates the economic changes over the last 30-40 years, and doubtless will continue.

100% Confident of going up supported them 50 odd years now and this is the first time i don't think we can fuck it up. Other teams around us seem to be handing it to us every week results wise

Last edited:
i feel happy at the moment. but im feel confident on 19th March but that 8 game period 15th Feb to 18 Mar when we play 7 of 8 teams in 3rd to 10th is dangerous. if we dont lose them games its great

20230122_214303.jpg

I'm as confident as you can be in football. I don't know what odds I'd put on it. Maybe 90% or so?

The thing is, given our form, and given our rivals' form, we look more likely to extend the lead than reduce it. The only thing that puts any doubt into things is the injury situation but then we've limped this far basically never having a full squad available. We must have reshuffled that back five more than any team in the league and yet it's up there with the toughest defences. We've had injury troubles up top and yet even sticking our relatively untested youngster, Jebbison, now looks like a very legitimate option. So even the injury woes have to get even worse before they really slow us down. We've got star quality across the pitch at this level - N'Diaye, Bogle, Berge, McAtee, all look capable of giving you that "something out of nothing" moment when you need it. We're good from set pieces. We score team goals. We score on the counter. What are we missing?

The only thing that really scares me is losing N'Diaye to sale or injury. Even then we probably have enough to limp over the line from this position.

While nothing's done until it's done the league table rarely looks any better than this.

Don’t know about anyone else but I just want to see the games ticked off. Would be perfect if there was only 11-12 games left. Until them I remain typically cautious

I’m 10000% sure we will go up

There is no way we blow a 15 point lead

If there was a team who was gonna go on a crazy run then possibly but there isn’t and this league is terrible this season

We will probably get 100 points and set the record for most games won by 1 goal 😃

100%
Don’t need to see any graphs about points , this part of the season compared to last 50
Said once we’d got the hangover of relegation out of our system
Play offs last season
Up next ( this ) season
Also predicted going up as champions with Chris in the 3rd with 100 points & 100 goals
Know my team , where a good team in a poor league
UTB
Laughing at the mid week wankers

I think it was mentioned elsewhere that only blades could look at Wednesday’s position and go they’re definitely promoted then look at ours and go well we’ll still mess it up.

(Apologies to the original poster I’d credit you but can’t remember who said it)
Tbf it’s because we do have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It’s never the other way around, like for instance the pigs in 2012.

If us and Norwich were in each others position I'd be looking at them and saying:

- recent PL experience
- quality all over the pitch
- 14 point lead

90% they are going to go up - but its us, so i am naturally more pessimistic.

The nest few games see a lot of the teams in PO places play each other - which means they can`t all gain on us, but we don't need all of them to gain on us - we only need one - and that's what I fear - one team emerging from the crab bucket to challenge us.

Whilst they are all taking points off each other, and we are maintaining the gap, all is good - if one team emerges then it comes down to a straight scrap between us and them - and we hold the lead at the moment - but just watch the squeaky bum time/meltdown that will occur on here if at any point our lead drops to 6 points...

Everyone seems reasonably positive regarding promotion, but you do know that we will finish 2nd.............

...on goal difference 🤣 🤣 🤣

I think the older you are, the less confident you are

After 50+ years of being a blade you learn to get excited when the job is done and not before

If there is a way of it going tits up, it often does

I think of the Ched court case. I think of Tevezgate and our last game of the season. The Deane/Fjortoft fiasco last day of the transfer window

However, the thing currently stopping me from getting carried away is our injury crisis. We saw what happened earlier in the season when we had a full team injured and we lost our form. We have 7 or 8 injured now, a couple more important first teamers out and it could derail all the hard work.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom