How confident are you about being promoted this season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If I had to say now whether I think we'll get promoted I think we'd all say yes because the odds are so heavily stacked in our favour now We've got a fairly fit squad, RND and Brewster to come back in February/March too. Also the likes o Norwich/Albion/Watford and Boro all of which are the teams I worry about have to play each other and it's inevitable they'll drop points. We've got all of those bar Norwich to play at home which helps too. Having McBurnie back now, hopefully fit till the end of the season, is also massive as I believe when on form he's arguably one of the best strikers in the league. Ndiaye and McBurnie up top has got to be the best strike partnership in the league.

Only a list of injuries similar to earlier in the season could disrupt us now. That's my view anyway.

Well most clubs our size might not have had as many promotions as us, but that's generally because they've been in the top division for far longer which is a much greater success if you ask me.

I don't think we've doubled the fanbase - we were getting 30k attendances 30 years ago. Like with all clubs, attendances fluctuate depending on on-field activity. I remember going to 35k sellouts in the early 90s.
Your memory is playing tricks on you given that our highest crowd through the whole of the 90's was 31,832. Our average throughout the 80's fluctuated mainly between 10k to 12k (with a couple of exceptions) so Frank the tank is correct in what he says about attendances when compared with the 80's. Our average in the 90's fluctuated between 13k and 22k so even then, he's not far out.

Your memory is playing tricks on you given that our highest crowd through the whole of the 90's was 31,832. Our average throughout the 80's fluctuated mainly between 10k to 12k (with a couple of exceptions) so Frank the tank is correct in what he says about attendances when compared with the 80's. Our average in the 90's fluctuated between 13k and 22k so even then, he's not far out.
Man u at home in the cup when hodges chipped Cantona I'm sure was 35k.

Don't remember Hodges chipping Cantona but I do remember him lobbing Schmeichal to make it 2-1. The crowd that day was 27,150.
Mind could well be playing tricks, was sure I have seen our scoreboard with 35k on it though when attendance was announced.

Man u at home in the cup when hodges chipped Cantona I'm sure was 35k.
That was the game we lost 1-0 against Man Utd
Brian McClair scored, I'm sure there was around 35,000 at that game

I think we drew 2-2 with Barnsley in the previous round and then won at Oakwell, pretty sure there was close to 35,000 that day as well

The biggest crowd at the Lane in the 1990’s was 34,344 for the FA Cup 6th round match v Man U on 11 March 1990.

The next biggest attendance in the 90’s was 33,113 for the 5th round tie v Barnsley on 18 February 1990.

The 31,832 gate against the Pigs in November 1991, was our 3rd highest gate of the 90’s.

The biggest crowd at the Lane in the 1990’s was 34,344 for the FA Cup 6th round match v Man U on 11 March 1990.

The next biggest attendance in the 90’s was 33,113 for the 5th round tie v Barnsley on 18 February 1990.

The 31,832 gate against the Pigs in November 1991, was our 3rd highest gate of the 90’s.
I'll round that up to 35k pig style...

Right team, right competition, wrong year 😁

Thinking about it, it was always going to be pre 91 as we converted kop to all seater around then.

Correct LS16. I'd not looked at cup matches 🥴

I'm looking at it mathematically and I really can't see us being caught. 18 games left with most teams needing a 5 or 6 game turnaround (they win, we lose) to overtake us.

We do have a challenging run in, however nothing demonstrates in recent weeks that the teams below us are meeting or outperforming the required points per game to cause any worries.

We're going up. I am worried about next season though but who gives a fuck
the logic of numbers is on our side

4 games clear points wise with 18 left means if we win 10 of the remaining 18 we will be on 89 points and those chasing us will have to win 15 of the last 18 to be above us and no one looks remotely capable of doing that and that's without taking drawn games into consideration

what Hecky is excellent at is getting maximum points out of tight games
Burnley will be with us all the way and I think we could be safely up by the 3rd week in April

even if we sell a key player, weve coped with losing players with injuries so selling one is no worse than losing one to injury in fact its worse losing players to injury as at least we get compensation if we sell players asnd can buy a replacement

On Betfair we're 1/7 (Burnley 1/50) for promotion.

If you laid us by £10, you'd win £70 (minus commission) if we don't go up, lose £10 if we do. With Burnley effectively home & hosed, it means our odds are longer than you'd expect.

Listening to Bladespod saying we need to win 8 games and we'll be promoted. EIGHT GAMES. Come on lads. We can start to believe and enjoy the ride

1. We won't catch Burnley.
They've already strengthen their team this transfer window and brought in another striker, while we're 'hoping' McBurnie will come back 'firing'!
2. The chasing pack will close the gap.
Watford and even Blackburn have brought in new signings this window for the 'push' while we're under a transfer embargo and are relying on Billy and Jebbison up front while hopefully keeping Ndiaye.
3. Only luck with injuries, while keeping the existing squad fit and maintaining a winning run will do.
But we will drop points and lose games.

It's going to be squeaky bum time!

That was the game we lost 1-0 against Man Utd
Brian McClair scored, I'm sure there was around 35,000 at that game

I think we drew 2-2 with Barnsley in the previous round and then won at Oakwell, pretty sure there was close to 35,000 that day as well
And I’m sure that ball went out when it was crossed too!

1. We won't catch Burnley.
They've already strengthen their team this transfer window and brought in another striker, while we're 'hoping' McBurnie will come back 'firing'!
2. The chasing pack will close the gap.
Watford and even Blackburn have brought in new signings this window for the 'push' while we're under a transfer embargo and are relying on Billy and Jebbison up front while hopefully keeping Ndiaye.
3. Only luck with injuries, while keeping the existing squad fit and maintaining a winning run will do.
But we will drop points and lose games.

It's going to be squeaky bum time!
New signings don’t necessarily mean an uptick in form though. We will be getting Brewster and Norrington-Davies back in the latter stages that will give us a boost.

On one hand I’m impressed with the age range of the Burnley signings. Josh Cullen the oldest at 26. Quite a few around the 22 mark.

On the other hand, who have they signed who is bound to be a success or better then they have already?

Just spent 11m on a South African who scored 8 in 20 in Belgium. He’s going to get in at the expense of Tella or others who are already doing well. No saying he will be an improvement. He’s bought in a couple of centre backs, one is 20, the other 22 but Harewood-Bellis was their best one and he’s injured. So at best they might live up to his standing and he played when we stuck 5 past them.

I’m happy with our strikers. Ndiaye, Jebbo both good ages and showing form. McBurnie was excellent before the injury and is still only 26. Brewster still only 22. Osula has shown he can shake things up a bit when he comes on and last but not least who can forget Billy? Pace has never been his game but he showed his value only recently with 2 winners.

Burnley might be just a little more protected against injuries but I don’t see them as better. A lot will depend on this next batch of games where they could drop points and of course our tie there. Were it not for that horrendous hiccup of 6 games when we had a debilitating injury list we would have been ahead of them. Before that we were 3-6 points better than them after 10 games with our fully fit first team.

I’ll make an outlandish prediction for you. If Norwood stays fit and plays all the games, we’ll win the league.

Last edited:
New signings don’t necessarily mean an uptick in form though. We will be getting Brewster and Norrington-Davies back in the latter stages that will give us a boost.

On one hand I’m impressed with the age range of the Burnley signings. Josh Cullen the oldest at 26. Quite a few around the 22 mark.

On the other hand, who have they signed who is bound to be a success or better then they have already?

Just spent 11m on a South African who scored 8 in 20 in Belgium. He’s going to get in at the expense of Tella or others who are already doing well. No saying he will be an improvement. He’s bought in a couple of centre backs, one is 20, the other 22 but Harewood-Bellis was their best one and he’s injured. So at best they might live up to his standing and he played when we stuck 5 past them.

I’m happy with our strikers. Ndiaye, Jebbo both good ages and showing form. McBurnie was excellent before the injury and is still only 26. Brewster still only 22. Osula has shown he can shake things up a bit when he comes on and last but not least who can forget Billy? Pace has never been his game but he showed his value only recently with 2 winners.

Burnley might be just a little more protected against injuries but I don’t see them as better. A lot will depend on this next batch of games where they could drop points and of course our tie there. Were it not for that horrendous hiccup of 6 games when we had a debilitating injury list we would have been ahead of them. Before that we were 3-6 points better than them after 10 games with our fully fit first team.

I’ll make an outlandish prediction for you. If Norwood stays fit and plays all the games, we’ll win the league.
I'm not too bothered about Burnley because we won't catch them.
Kompany has already shown that he has an eye for a decent player with his current signings, so I don't expect his recent signings to be any worse, plus he's probably already looking to next season in the EPL.

It's the following pack I'm more concerned about and they, unlike us are looking to strengthen and make a push.

As for us, we could be OK and cling onto that second place, but I still think they'll be a lot of finger nails bitten before the season is out.
Finally, I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't pin your hopes on either McBurnie or Brewster.

P.S. there's a lot of confidence in our squad, so that will help for sure 🤞

Burnley have signed those players with the Prem in mind. They have the gift of being able to do that because how far ahead they are + their financials situation.

We'd be doing the same (like we did with signing Berge in Jan before we went up), but we can't start planning for next season yet for a variety of reasons well known.

Burnley have signed those players with the Prem in mind. They have the gift of being able to do that because how far ahead they are + their financials situation.

We'd be doing the same (like we did with signing Berge in Jan before we went up), but we can't start planning for next season yet for a variety of reasons well known.
Erm, we signed Berge when were in the PL.

Team to watch out for is Norwich…..

It's mad how quickly this changes. Before they both lost at the weekend the team's to watch out for were West Brom and Middlesbrough.

Out of their last 10 league games Norwich have won 4, lost 4 and drew 2. And they've got Burnley next.

For the '92 game it was still 4 sided. I think the "Cantona" game where they beat us was when it was (back to) 3 sided.
We played Manu U 4 times in the cup in the 90's - the McClair game (1990), the Hodges/Hoyland game (1992), the game when Mark Hughes got sent off (1994) (and the BBC analysts ripped us to shreds for being defensive and ruining the game, having a month earlier been thrashed 3-0 by Man U when we played less defensively) and the cantona game (1995) in the three sided ground.

Back
Top Bottom