Done

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's because we've panicked from the back and bypassed a very average midfield. Hopefully that's changing * Clarke has more to offer that. He can certainly trap a ball and turn better than Edson Arantes de Adams.

* Although Hussey hits the long high ball almost every time even with Sharp and Done up front.

As I've said before, playing Clarke doesn't and shouldn't mean Hoof. It's a cop out for lazy players with neither bottle nor ability. We need to have the courage to play football and use the big fella the right way. I'm quite sure he doesn't want to spend 90 minutes contesting 40/60 balls against giant defenders and would prefer to be made favourite by better service. That means playing through midfield (quickly, not interminably) rather than lumping it from the back.

As I've said before, playing Clarke doesn't and shouldn't mean Hoof. It's a cop out for lazy players with neither bottle nor ability. We need to have the courage to play football and use the big fella the right way. I'm quite sure he doesn't want to spend 90 minutes contesting 40/60 balls against giant defenders and would prefer to be made favourite by better service. That means playing through midfield (quickly, not interminably) rather than lumping it from the back.

Absolutely spot on. Having a player like Clarke should mean that you have an additional outlet up front and that if the ball does need to go long, you have someone that it can stick to up there. Clarke is a clever player, he's not just a physical lump and once the midfield start settling, we should see a lot more goals from the strikers.

Its obviously not gone right for Wilder so far and he definitely needed that scrappy win yesterday. I think the next target for Wilder will be a clean sheet or two, so we're perhaps unlikely to see masses of chances up top until we improve defensively, its a confidence issue and getting players to trust each other.

So perhaps Done will work alongside Sharp/ Clarke for the time being. Clarke and Sharp will both find Done useful as he has the tenacity to chase a lot more. Done will get his share of goals, but he's not prolific because he's got less of the creative talent than Sharp/ Clarke.

The one player that should be learning from Done is McNulty. McNulty will most likely be the 60-90th min sub for Done in many games.

The one player that should be learning from Done is McNulty. McNulty will most likely be the 60-90th min sub for Done in many games.

Indeed. That is because, and I don't mean this in any derogatory way, he is a fucking lazy fucker. You have to be an exceptional talent in a very good football team to have but one duty - to score goals, and Sparky ain't Jimmy Greaves or Gerd Müller...

Indeed. That is because, and I don't mean this in any derogatory way, he is a fucking lazy fucker. You have to be an exceptional talent in a very good football team to have but one duty - to score goals, and Sparky ain't Jimmy Greaves or Gerd Müller...
I dont actually think he's lazy, but the problem is, and i don't mean this in a derogatory way either, but he's not got a footballing brain. He has a technical talent, but he doesn't make the runs or anticipate the passes. So what he needs to do is work harder and win the ball rather than wait for the passes.

Diego was probably a lazier player.

Be interesting to see if CW sees the Done / Sharp partnership as his plan A going forward or if Clarke will return to starting 11 ASAP.

Transfer possibilities aside, I believe that we should persist with these two, as there was far greater fluidity to our play on Satutday, that I would prefer to see.

Clarke, for my money, should now become a plan B option off the bench.

UTB

Wilder wanted to bring Clarke on so it looked almost a pre arranged decision that if he did then Sharp had to come off, it seems they just cannot be trusted to be on the pitch at the same time,

Done looked absolutely gutted when Sharp's number came up and not his.

Wilder wanted to bring Clarke on so it looked almost a pre arranged decision that if he did then Sharp had to come off, it seems they just cannot be trusted to be on the pitch at the same time,

Done looked absolutely gutted when Sharp's number came up and not his.

Yes it looks that way. Which makes the Clarke signing, with the benefit of hindsight, bizarre.

Sharp is a perfectly good target man in his own right, when played correctly. That is to say on the floor not 20 feet in the air. Will also get the goals, as we all know.

Surely the right decision would have been to add out and out pace to the strike force rather than the more pedestrian Clarke ?

Not having a go at Clarke, even though I don't really rate him btw. Happy as an off the bench option, nothing more. IMHO.

UTB

According to the Star’s quotes from Knill, Done is now, in Knill/ Wilder’s opinions, a striker.

Interesting comments from Knill as well,

- Clarke put himself about at Millwall and had a slight injury in his foot.

- Coincidentally, perhaps following a week of training, Done was tried up front

- Done is able to stretch teams and it seems that this is how they want to set up now.

Knill seems to suggest that because of the defeats, we’ve had a change in the way that we want to approach teams. Using Done to stretch teams is part of this. Its not clear whether this will be way we always set up.

If Done is the striker to stretch games, then Clarke and Sharp, are more interchangeable and will perhaps be used in this way. Clarke/ Sharp will certainly in more of a physical battle in games and as they tire, they also risk injuries.

I think for Done, he needs to get used to the running and it may hurt him to play 90 mins, but sadly, that’s his job. Adkins said it last year (although didn’t back it up) and Wilder has said it too. We need players to play 90 mins, so playing full matches will only improve endurance.

According to the Star’s quotes from Knill, Done is now, in Knill/ Wilder’s opinions, a striker.

Interesting comments from Knill as well,

- Clarke put himself about at Millwall and had a slight injury in his foot.

- Coincidentally, perhaps following a week of training, Done was tried up front

- Done is able to stretch teams and it seems that this is how they want to set up now.

Knill seems to suggest that because of the defeats, we’ve had a change in the way that we want to approach teams. Using Done to stretch teams is part of this. Its not clear whether this will be way we always set up.

If Done is the striker to stretch games, then Clarke and Sharp, are more interchangeable and will perhaps be used in this way. Clarke/ Sharp will certainly in more of a physical battle in games and as they tire, they also risk injuries.

I think for Done, he needs to get used to the running and it may hurt him to play 90 mins, but sadly, that’s his job. Adkins said it last year (although didn’t back it up) and Wilder has said it too. We need players to play 90 mins, so playing full matches will only improve endurance.

Just about to post summat similar...Sharp/Clarke should be interchangeable/coming off the bench for a different option, Done/your faster more mobile striker should be on the pitch always....although they're different in size Sharp and Clarke play a very similar game.

UTB!

Just about to post summat similar...Sharp/Clarke should be interchangeable/coming off the bench for a different option, Done/your faster more mobile striker should be on the pitch always....although they're different in size Sharp and Clarke play a very similar game.

UTB!

Might also be a possibility to play Done and Clarke up front, with Sharp deeper in behind them

Might also be a possibility to play Done and Clarke up front, with Sharp deeper in behind them

Dunno bout that one...though we might see it at some points if results are still poor...

Dunno bout that one...though we might see it at some points if results are still poor...
I think it depends on the game as well, but having Sharp and Clarke on the pitch at together will always cause teams problems

I want a Manager who knows our strengths and plays accordingly.
NOT a Manager who picks an XI based on the opponents strengths, from the beginning we're giving them far more respect than is necessary.

Let them be worried about facing Sheffield United, let them choose their XI to combat our strengths, not our weaknesses.

I thought Wilder/Knill knew about the players already from watching "boring" Sheffield United last season?

Wonder if Done/Clarke will lead the line tonight?

Horses for courses. 46 games is a long season. We ran Sharp into the ground last season and played Done out of position. On Saturday we were obviously comfortable to drop Clarke to the bench because of slight injury, which we didn't have the option for last season.

If you have Sharp and Clarke with Done and Lavery to stretch the pitch, we should have plenty of options and most importantly be able to rotate and keep players fresh.

Done is an excellent option to have upfront. He's a 20 goal a season man when played in that position for us and stretches the play and is an excellent poacher. He's not a first choice winger tho

I'd argue we have 3 forwards capable of 20 plus so the key if we are going two up top is to find a partnership that works.

Done is an excellent option to have upfront. He's a 20 goal a season man when played in that position for us and stretches the play and is an excellent poacher. He's not a first choice winger tho

I'd argue we have 3 forwards capable of 20 plus so the key if we are going two up top is to find a partnership that works.
He's a reasonable player and will cause teams problems with his (moderate) pace and style of play, but i don't think he's a 20 goal a season man...more of a 10-15. sorry if that sounds picky, but to me a 20 goal a season man is a player capable of 20-25/30, i think in a good year, Done may get 15+ but most seasons he'd likely to be in the 10-15 bracket. He seems to have too many niggling injuries and dips in form to make that next step up.

He's a reasonable player and will cause teams problems with his (moderate) pace and style of play, but i don't think he's a 20 goal a season man...more of a 10-15. sorry if that sounds picky, but to me a 20 goal a season man is a player capable of 20-25/30, i think in a good year, Done may get 15+ but most seasons he'd likely to be in the 10-15 bracket. He seems to have too many niggling injuries and dips in form to make that next step up.

Take the point but if you look at the period when he signed and was played upfront it would extrapolate to about 23/24 league goals a season. He got about 12 post Xmas for us - although that may be me misremembering.

Did a good job of feeding of scraps and causing defenders to make errors imo

Take the point but if you look at the period when he signed and was played upfront it would extrapolate to about 23/24 league goals a season. He got about 12 post Xmas for us - although that may be me misremembering.

Did a good job of feeding of scraps and causing defenders to make errors imo

Yeah thats the point, its not about extrapolating, its about consistently doing it.

He's a decent player, not a doubt there and he creates chances from nothing (a bit like Peschisolido), but he's not a 20-25 goal man.. although i'd gladly see him prove that wrong.

Yeah thats the point, its not about extrapolating, its about consistently doing it.

He's a decent player, not a doubt there and he creates chances from nothing (a bit like Peschisolido), but he's not a 20-25 goal man.. although i'd gladly see him prove that wrong.

Id argue you can only judge him as a striker when he's played there tho. The rest of his time here he's been out wide or on the wing, or at left back. Plus he did get over 20 goals that season inc Rochdale goals.

Id argue you can only judge him as a striker when he's played there tho. The rest of his time here he's been out wide or on the wing, or at left back. Plus he did get over 20 goals that season inc Rochdale goals.
Yeah that's fair comment, so lets see how he gets on. Get the feeling that he won't play every game...

I agree.

If the season is 90 (Ninety) matches long.

That's his record for Sheffield United & Rochdale combined.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=40834

What season would that be?

Well he got 17 league goals in 2014 I think and scored a good few more on the cup. Deffo broke that barrier of 20 goals

I'm not saying he's the best striker ever but you can hardly judge him as a striker when playing a left back.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=40834

Facts. Check the link ^^^^

Never scored more than... and nowhere near 20 goals in a season.

Only scored 42 in his whole career.

He got 17 goals in 2014 in the league. And 4 in the cup.

Like I keep saying if you judge him on the 1 season he played as a centre forward he scored about 20 goals.

If you extrapolate what he did for us when he played upfront it's about 24 goals for he season

image.jpg

He got 17 goals in 2014 in the league. And 4 in the cup.

Like I keep saying if you judge him on the 1 season he played as a centre forward he scored about 20 goals.

If you extrapolate what he did for us when he played upfront it's about 24 goals for he season

View attachment 19579

2014/15
Rochdale 14 Goals
Sheffield United 8 Goals

2015/16
Sheffield United 6 Goals

2016/17
Sheffield United 0 Goals

Last time he scored, two v Wigan Athletic (a)
That was 25 appearances ago...

One season wonder?

Time to sell..... unless we play him in a different role, well, Wilder plays him in a role.

Back
Top Bottom