Diego returns to York on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Even Billy Sharp struggled to get a game here and he could score goals, well he could score goals any where else but here and that was under at least three different managers.

Anyone else see the warm up at Donny? Diego was burying it everything time. All right it was a warm up but that lad knows the route to the onion bag and we need some more onions in that goal difference bag. Or any other thoughts where they're gonna come from?

Time for another 'bring back billy' thread?

Diego; " gaffer I really think my best position is as a central striker I don't feel I'm doing myself justice out wide."

Clough replies; " What! you clever little fucker for that you can get on the bench and after a few games you'll be off again to the football outpost York"

What a waste of talent

10 years ago this month United signed Luke Beckett.

He played 5 league games for us that season. He started one, and came on as a sub 4 times. He did not impress.

Warnock let him go out on loan. He went to Huddersfield and scored 6 goals in 7 games. Then he went to Oldham and scored 6 goals in 9 games, saving them from relegation.

Meanwhile, we missed the playoffs narrowly, playing Chris Morgan up front for the last 10 minutes of our 1-0 defeat to Millwall, as there was no one else.

When we are drawing 0-0 or losing 0-1 late in the second half over the next few months, and we are using one forward or none at all, I will think of Luke Beckett and Diego, and will remind myself that some clubs never learn.

10 years ago this month United signed Luke Beckett.

He played 5 league games for us that season. He started one, and came on as a sub 4 times. He did not impress.

Warnock let him go out on loan. He went to Huddersfield and scored 6 goals in 7 games. Then he went to Oldham and scored 6 goals in 9 games, saving them from relegation.

Meanwhile, we missed the playoffs narrowly, playing Chris Morgan up front for the last 10 minutes of our 1-0 defeat to Millwall, as there was no one else.

When we are drawing 0-0 or losing 0-1 late in the second half over the next few months, and we are using one forward or none at all, I will think of Luke Beckett and Diego, and will remind myself that some clubs never learn.

Beckett was sent down to a level he impressed at, with a much lower standard, having failed to impress at the level we needed him to. He scored 18 in 27 games at Oldham the following year. Meanwhile United powered to promotion, in no small part due to the serious firepower in the squad that season. Beckett never returned to that level again in his playing career, dropping into non-league before retiring with one single Championship start to his name.

Sorry, what was the lesson the club should have learnt?

Beckett was sent down to a level he impressed at, with a much lower standard, having failed to impress at the level we needed him to. He scored 18 in 27 games at Oldham the following year. Meanwhile United powered to promotion, in no small part due to the serious firepower in the squad that season. Beckett never returned to that level again in his playing career, dropping into non-league before retiring with one single Championship start to his name.

Sorry, what was the lesson the club should have learnt?

Give Beckett more than 150 minutes football when your other options are David Johnson with a bad back, Tommy Johnson or Danny Cadamarteri.

And United did power to promotion with the serious firepower in the side. None of that firepower was available at the time Beckett was at the club, Webber being signed just after he'd left, Kabba being injured for the vast majority of the time, and Shipperley being signed in the close season.

Plus Beckett had been top scorer in the Championship for a shocking Stockport team in 2002. He had more than one championship level game to his name.

Give Beckett more than 150 minutes football when your other options are David Johnson with a bad back, Tommy Johnson or Danny Cadamarteri.

And United did power to promotion with the serious firepower in the side. None of that firepower was available at the time Beckett was at the club, Webber being signed just after he'd left, Kabba being injured for the vast majority of the time, and Shipperley being signed in the close season.

Plus Beckett had been top scorer in the Championship for a shocking Stockport team in 2002. He had more than one championship level game to his name.

I stand corrected - it's been so long I hadn't realised Stockport were a Championship team that season. But the point I was trying to make stands - the lesson learnt was to recruit better strikers, not to play Luke Beckett. We did not lose out because we decided he wasn't up to it. Didn't loaning him out free up some wages to bring Danny Webber in on loan, sowing the seeds for his permanent transfer? Again, I'm struggling to see the comparison. That's not to say we had some poor striking options that season, but it just shows you how much he must have failed to impress for us to let him go when options were so few.

I see no logic in anything Clough does these days,/QUOTE]

You mean the logic of sending a youngster on loan to get some 1st team action because he isn't good enough yet to get into the starting 11 at his parent club ?

I mean Clough doesn't give the kids a go at all does he. Look at Louis Reed, great little player but not seen any 1st team action.........oh hang on

I stand corrected - it's been so long I hadn't realised Stockport were a Championship team that season. But the point I was trying to make stands - the lesson learnt was to recruit better strikers, not to play Luke Beckett. We did not lose out because we decided he wasn't up to it. Didn't loaning him out free up some wages to bring Danny Webber in on loan, sowing the seeds for his permanent transfer? Again, I'm struggling to see the comparison. That's not to say we had some poor striking options that season, but it just shows you how much he must have failed to impress for us to let him go when options were so few.

Well, nothing turns on it now, but I always felt that Beckett could have helped us get a few more points at the end of that season and it was frustrating that he was scoring frequently at the level below, and Warnock didn't really let him bed down in the side.

In 2004-05, as well as the three you mention we had Kabba, Ward, Webber, Gray and Forte amongst forwards available at the business end of that season. What ever else caused the failure to get into the play offs that year, it wasn't shortage of striking options.

In 2004-05, as well as the three you mention we had Kabba, Ward, Webber, Gray and Forte amongst forwards available at the business end of that season. What ever else caused the failure to get into the play offs that year, it wasn't shortage of striking options.

Ward was not fit. He didn't play after October, did he? Kabba was rehabbing - scored twice against Burnley, then nothing else. Forte was not being used as a central striker at the time and had scored a grand total of 1 league goal.

And we were buried by 3 straight scoreless games. It seemed to me at the time, and still seems to me, that Beckett would have been more use at the club than away from it.

Ward was not fit. He didn't play after October, did he? Kabba was rehabbing - scored twice against Burnley, then nothing else. Forte was not being used as a central striker at the time and had scored a grand total of 1 league goal.

And we were buried by 3 straight scoreless games. It seemed to me at the time, and still seems to me, that Beckett would have been more use at the club than away from it.

Kabba scored 2 against Crewe. Even discounting Ward, we had 6 players at the end of that season who could play as central strikers. The Webber/Gray partnership got 6 goals in 2 games against Leeds and QPR in early April and all looked good for the play offs. For whatever reason we tailed off after that. However, I really don't think you could see Beckett as some sort as potential saviour. His career post 2002 shows he was clearly not up to second tier standards then.

Kabba scored 2 against Crewe. Even discounting Ward, we had 6 players at the end of that season who could play as central strikers. The Webber/Gray partnership got 6 goals in 2 games against Leeds and QPR in early April and all looked good for the play offs. For whatever reason we tailed off after that. However, I really don't think you could see Beckett as some sort as potential saviour. His career post 2002 shows he was clearly not up to second tier standards then.

The reason we tailed off is that we stopped scoring goals.

That may be, but as I said, he's probably a better option than Chris Morgan, which was Warnock's big idea against Millwall in the game where we blew our playoff chances.

Anyway, the point is I fear that over the next few weeks there will be some point where we've got no one up front at home again and we can't score and Diego will once again be scoring for York.

We now have Adams (not ready yet) and Porter (useless) as the ony fit Strikers at the Club and a Promotion six pointer two days away.

So lets send the other forward who has ctually scored league goals this season out on loan again.

Logic?

Back
Top Bottom