Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Afternoon all, apologies for not posting the last few days, been away on tour last weekend. Time to catch up:
View attachment 13151 View attachment 13152 View attachment 13153 View attachment 13156
29th August: 2004 11 years ago: Monty on the cover against L***s, a 2-0 win courtesy of Ward and Harley.
30th August 1986 29 years ago: The Burton sponsored L***s. A 1-0 win via Tony Philliskirk.
31st August 1974 41 years ago: 3-1 Ipswich. On YTV, Revie went into raptures about Tony Field's goal being one of the best he'd ever seen. Never got an England call up tho.
1st September 1965 50 years ago: A goaless stalemate with Sherman making his debut.

And Today: 46 years ago: 2-0 Newcastle United League Cup. A rather battered offering. Who scored and also played in goal?
View attachment 13158

Who played in goal? Liam McFaul (?)

Good that sorted out today's :)

Used to enjoy Sunderland coming, always a good atmosphere

View attachment 13163 View attachment 13164

£2.70 is £17.79 in today's money, which is about the average price of a ticket on the Kop. I realise that we're in the Third now, and the ticket were for SS, but not bad going. Nearly 40 years, and prices are fairly constant, relatively - for us at least.

The Team the Blades beat

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal, Phil Thompson, Emlyn Hughes, Alan Kennedy

Jimmy Case, Terry McDermott, Graeme Souness, Ray Kennedy

Steve Heighway Kenny Dalglish

The Team that won the European cup just months earlier

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal, Phil Thompson, Alan Hansen, Emlyn Hughes

Jimmy Case, Terry McDermott, Graeme Souness, Ray Kennedy

David Fairclough Kenny Dalglish

None of that fielding the reserves them "massive clubs" tend to do now against "weaker" opposition! Fantastic lineup with so many home international players, possibly one of the greatest squads of all time. We may never see a team like it again :(

Used to enjoy Sunderland coming, always a good atmosphere
You're not kidding. I remember when they came to BDTBL towards the end of the 89-90 season, pushing for promotion, as were we. Sunderland won 3-1. What a noise their fans made.

4th September 1971 Nottingham Forest 2 Blades 3 (Dearden, Currie, Scullion)

Think Forest scored first before Dearden equalised before half time. We score two in one minute in the 2nd half. Think Ian Storey-Moore scored Forest's second late in the game

league-division-one-nottingham-forest-v-sheffield-united-4561792.jpg

Think Forest scored first before Dearden equalised before half time. We score two in one minute in the 2nd half. Think Ian Storey-Moore scored Forest's second late in the game

I think this was the first away match I ever went to. I would have been 14 years old. I remember taking the bus with a mate and it was a hot sunny day. I don't think we'd ever been to Nottingham either, it was quite an adventure. On arrival we met with some other Blades who told us to watch out for Forest fans as they had a habit of throwing visiting supporters in the River Trent. I had only got my learner's swimming certificate at the time, so I hoped it wasn't true.

The atmosphere in the ground was red hot. I can't recall what the crowd figure was, but I'd guess upwards of 20,000, with a big following from Sheffield. It was an exciting game as I recall. I remember seeing Ian Storey-Moore, who was a very talented footballer. Another one who stood out for me on the day was Peter McCormack - long black hair and a very dangerous player. But, the Blades overcame them in the end and I remember at the full time whistle most of the Forest fans had left and the stadium was ringing to the chants from the United fans. What a day!

Good choice, but there are a couple of other noteworthy games for this day.
5519342029_b341c50af6_z.jpg

and here they are: September 4th 1973 42 years ago

5524108745_3678810a83_z.jpg

The game where TC got the ultimate revenge. United 4-0 up inside 17 minutes. TC sitting on the ball, like Ball had done the previous season. Pure quality.

5459616439_6036d5201d_z.jpg

September 4th 1965, 50 years ago today, an 8 goal thriller at the Lane as United beat the Spammers 5-3. Sherman, Docherty and Kettlebrough put United in command. Geoff Hurst replied. before Mick Jones grabbed a couple in the second half. Joe Kirkup and Johnny Bryne with the consolations.

View attachment 13171

View attachment 13172

The game where TC got the ultimate revenge. United 4-0 up inside 17 minutes. TC sitting on the ball, like Ball had done the previous season. Pure quality.

View attachment 13173

September 4th 1965, 50 years ago today, an 8 goal thriller at the Lane as United beat the Spammers 5-3. Sherman, Docherty and Kettlebrough put United in command. Geoff Hurst replied. before Mick Jones grabbed a couple in the second half. Joe Kirkup and Johnny Bryne with the consolations.
That bottom programme v. wet sham shows a view of the Lane end before the current stand. Don't suppose you have a photo of it - not sure I've ever seen it.

South stand was full quite a few times at the beginning of the 75-76 season as I recall... e.g. opener against Derby...

Ah yes, the optimism! The sun was shining, 31,316 in attendance and the first game with the New :) Stand open. Me, mi dad, mi mum and mi brother all got season tickets for the first (and last!) time. What could possibly go wrong?

I think this was the first away match I ever went to. I would have been 14 years old. I remember taking the bus with a mate and it was a hot sunny day. I don't think we'd ever been to Nottingham either, it was quite an adventure. On arrival we met with some other Blades who told us to watch out for Forest fans as they had a habit of throwing visiting supporters in the River Trent. I had only got my learner's swimming certificate at the time, so I hoped it wasn't true.

The atmosphere in the ground was red hot. I can't recall what the crowd figure was, but I'd guess upwards of 20,000, with a big following from Sheffield. It was an exciting game as I recall. I remember seeing Ian Storey-Moore, who was a very talented footballer. Another one who stood out for me on the day was Peter McCormack - long black hair and a very dangerous player. But, the Blades overcame them in the end and I remember at the full time whistle most of the Forest fans had left and the stadium was ringing to the chants from the United fans. What a day!

Bert was there also, Unitedites were all on the terrace down the touchline. Hot day and the threat of getting chucked in the Trent never materialized.

Unitedites were all on the terrace down the touchline

The "away end" was that Terrace down the touchline, the side opposite the TV Camera View today

"We hope you've brought your Trunks" :)

View attachment 13171

View attachment 13172

View attachment 13173

Been waiting for this one, my first game, 50 years ago today

Taken by my Uncle Tom Jones, not really my Uncle, mi mum and dad lodged with him when they first got married, so "Uncle"

He was Mick Jones's Uncle though .............. hence the free tickets for the John Street Stand

I remember the bloke on the Turnstyle saying "you'll have to be patient young un" :rolleyes:

The West Ham Team included, Moore, Hurst and Peters, plus a young Rednapp on the wing

That bottom programme v. wet sham shows a view of the Lane end before the current stand. Don't suppose you have a photo of it - not sure I've ever seen it.
I think the below match might be the last one before the Lane End roof was taken off and the building of the BLUT was about to start

The below picture was in September 1964

$_12.JPG

It is usually cold in New Years Day. My dad regularly stood in the Lane End from WW2 until 1966

I meant the photo, where there's some sun!

I may have adjusted to a 'London climate', however I'm aware it can occasionally be a bit chilly in January. Probably dips as low as 15 degrees down here ;)

I meant the photo, where there's some sun!

I may have adjusted to a 'London climate', however I'm aware it can occasionally be a bit chilly in January. Probably dips as low as 15 degrees down here ;)
If the wind was facing towards John Street it would have been cold because the Pavillion seemed to be too far away to block the wind!

bl.jpg
Bramall Lane Football Ground looking towards the John Street end with St. Mary's Church and Brittania Brewery in the background
bl2.jpg
Cricket Match at Bramall Lane looking S.E - 1950's I think
bl3.jpg
No. 106, Foxon and Robinson Ltd., box makers and J. Gilder and Co., motor dealers, John Street showing the Floodlights from Bramall Lane Football and Cricket Ground 1975
bl4.jpg
General View of Bramall Lane from the junction of Hill Street (left) and Cherry Street (right) looking towards Bramall Lane Football Ground 1975.
bl5.jpg
Last Cricket Match at Bramall Lane, Yorkshire v Lancashire 04/08/1973
bl6.jpg
bl7.jpg
Demolition of Bramall Lane Stand, new stand built at a cost of £100,000 seating 3,000 .01/05/1966
bl8.jpg
The New Stand, Sheffield United FC., Bramall Lane Football Ground 22/09/1966

View attachment 13176
Bramall Lane Football Ground looking towards the John Street end with St. Mary's Church and Brittania Brewery in the background
View attachment 13177
View attachment 13178
No. 106, Foxon and Robinson Ltd., box makers and J. Gilder and Co., motor dealers, John Street showing the Floodlights from Bramall Lane Football and Cricket Ground 1975
View attachment 13179
General View of Bramall Lane from the junction of Hill Street (left) and Cherry Street (right) looking towards Bramall Lane Football Ground 1975.
View attachment 13180
View attachment 13181
View attachment 13182
Demolition of Bramall Lane Stand, new stand built at a cost of £100,000 seating 3,000 .01/05/1966
View attachment 13183

I take it the stand in the last pitch is the one you see in the second cricket pic? Is it the BL end, and if so, is any of that stand still used for the current stand (I would guess yes, the top tier looks about the same)

What I remember most about that Forest game was one of their goals. Not sure if Hemsley was at fault but as the players were preparing to kick off Hockey running over to Ted and give him a few words of reassurance. Memory maybe playing tricks however.

Great times. 16 years of age, great bunch of mates, discovering things that, well you discover at 16 and the Blades playing a cavalier style of football and sitting on top of the league.

View attachment 13176
View attachment 13177
View attachment 13178
View attachment 13179
View attachment 13180
View attachment 13181
View attachment 13182
View attachment 13183
Wow, great pictures, CyprusBlade, and so familiar to me as I lived just off Bramall Lane.
In the last picture on the left hand side, you can see the Wesleyan Chapel which stood on Bramall Lane at the corner of Roland Rd.

I take it the stand in the last pitch is the one you see in the second cricket pic? Is it the BL end, and if so, is any of that stand still used for the current stand (I would guess yes, the top tier looks about the same)

The pics are all from the Sheffield photo archive webpage. If you look to the left on the first pic you can see the old stand that used be at the BL end of the Lane. The second pic roughly gives you the view you would have got from corner flag at the John St./BL corner with the old cricket pavilion still standing. In pic 5 you can see the "new" BL stand of 1966. Pic 6 shows the pre-1966 BL stand being demolished and pic 7 the stand that replaced it. Seats were added to the lower tier in 1994.

Bramall Lane Milestones from Wiki
  • 1855: The ground at Bramall Lane built for cricket.
  • 1878: First floodlit game played between "Reds" and "Blues" (the first competitive floodlit game was held at Mansfield Town's Field Mill ground).
  • 1896: A new John Street Stand built with room for 6,000 both seated and standing.
  • 1897: A new Shoreham Street Stand built.
  • 1900: A new cricket pavilion built.
  • 1901: Cycle track removed.
  • 1911: Roof added to the Bramall Lane End.
  • 1935: Roof added to the Kop. Running track built in front of John Street Stand.
  • 1940: The ground damaged in Sheffield Blitz. John Street was badly affected and the Kop roof damaged.
  • 1953: Floodlights installed.
  • 1966: Bramall Lane Stand opened.
  • 1975: South Stand opened.
  • 1981: Cricket pavilion demolished.
  • 1991: Seats installed in Kop.
  • 1994: John Street demolished. Seats added to lower tier of Bramall Lane End.
  • 1995: New pylon-less floodlights installed.
  • 1996: New John Street Stand opened.
  • 2001: New corner stand holding 1,000 fans opened between Shoreham Steet & John Street.
  • 2002: Blades Enterprise Centre is built between John Street and Bramall Lane.
  • 2005: Wooden seats removed from South Stand.
  • 2006: New corner opens between Cherry Street and Bramall Lane. Bramall Lane end cantilevered.
  • 2008 : New hotel built on the corner of the south stand and Bramall lane end.

View attachment 13176
View attachment 13177
View attachment 13178
View attachment 13179
View attachment 13180
View attachment 13181
View attachment 13182
View attachment 13183
Fantastic photos Cyprus. In the first photo we had new floodlights installed in the 1961-62 season and I think the older and smaller floodlights were removed not long after the photo was taken.

It looks like the Bramall Lane End wasnt demolished until after the end of the 1965/66 season as you say the photo was taken on 1/5/66

• 1896: A new John Street Stand built with room for 6,000 both seated and standing.
  • 1897: A new Shoreham Street Stand built.
  • 1900: A new cricket pavilion built.
  • 1901: Cycle track removed.
  • 1911: Roof added to the Bramall Lane End.

The Shoreham street stand was demolished in around 1907 or 1908 due to safety reasons

I think the below match might be the last one before the Lane End roof was taken off and the building of the BLUT was about to start

The below picture was in September 1964

$_12.JPG

That particular team photo was available enlarged and printed on card if you sent off a certain number of Typhoo Tea packs. I don't know if there was a fee payable as well but my mum got one for me and it went on my bedroom wall.

A few years later, Park Drive had an offer whereby you sent off a certain number of their packets and got a (very good) Park Drive Book of Football in return. I can remember walking round my local park looking through the litter for discarded fag packets.

At least they didn't ask for tab ends.

Back
Top Bottom