Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Got all the home ones. I think future stats were all taken from Rothmans which gave him 11.
Look at the 1974-75 programmes and you will see that they had "og" as the scorer not Field also they had Field scoring 10 league goals that season. As for Rothmans, never had the 1974-75 one, and I wonder why they had Field as the scorer. Will go to the library one day soon and find the description of the goal from the Morning Telegraph archives and get back on this thread

Look at the 1974-75 programmes and you will see that they had "og" as the scorer not Field also they had Field scoring 10 league goals that season. As for Rothmans, never had the 1974-75 one, and I wonder why they had Field as the scorer. Will go to the library one day soon and find the description of the goal from the Morning Telegraph archives and get back on this thread

I think you are fighting a losing battle on this one. Whatever the programme says, all other records have Field as the scorer. I doubt you will change that 40 years later :)

I think you are fighting a losing battle on this one. Whatever the programme says, all other records have Field as the scorer. I doubt you will change that 40 years later :)
I dont know, its around the time of Ted Heath, mention it to the Met and I am sure they will be full speed ahead on this matter

Losing battle? Are you saying that Rothmans is more accurate than the official programmes? I feel Rothmans is using one or two newspapers as the souce for goalscorers rather than the official programmes. Dennis Clareborough must have been using Rothmans rather than official programmes/local newspaper reports when he wrote the First 100 years

I am not battling with you, just debating whether there is an inaccuracy in the Complete Records and Rothmans

Losing battle? Are you saying that Rothmans is more accurate than the official programmes? I feel Rothmans is using one or two newspapers as the souce for goalscorers rather than the official programmes. Dennis Clareborough must have been using Rothmans rather than official programmes/local newspaper reports when he wrote the First 100 years

I am not battling with you, just debating whether there is an inaccuracy in the Complete Records and Rothmans

There may well be an error, but my point is that all the official records are going to continue to have Field as the scorer whatever you or I might say.. I suspect that the goal was something like Field shooting and the ball taking a serious deflection off Keeley and it thus being a matter of interpretation as to who the correct scorer is. In those days, there was no official designation of scorers and who is ultimately recorded as the scorer is a matter of whose interpretation prevails. The Field interpretation prevails in this case.

There may well be an error, but my point is that all the official records are going to continue to have Field as the scorer whatever you or I might say.. I suspect that the goal was something like Field shooting and the ball taking a serious deflection off Keeley and it thus being a matter of interpretation as to who the correct scorer is. In those days, there was no official designation of scorers and who is ultimately recorded as the scorer is a matter of whose interpretation prevails. The Field interpretation prevails in this case.
You are probably right that all the official records are going to continue to have Field as the scorer. If you have 1974-75 Rothmans, could you please check who they had as the scorer. If they had Field then it must have been because they have been using one or two newspapers as the source for the scorers rather than the official programmes

You have omitted the most significant event of the WBA game....... Bert caught the ball in the crowd. Amazingly there was no mention of it in the Green 'Un.

In 45 years of going to football matches.... of witnessing the ball hoofed into the crowd... of being at tiny footy grounds where the players short sizes are visible from the touchline terraces that I've stood on....... I've never once made contact with the match ball. Wonder if that's "common"?

14 years ago today.........July 23rd 1999

Sheffield United 0-2 Chelsea

A pre season friendly at the Lane.

The cover depicts 2 of football's tactical genuises going head to head. Vialli and errrr.......Heath.

With a Chelsea's midfield that consisted of the likes of Deschamps, Poyet, Desailly and Zola it wasn't surprising that they came out on top.

Team: Kelly, Kozluk, Quinn, Woodhouse, Murphy, Sandford, Hamilton, Derry, Devlin, Katchouro, Hunt
Subs: Ford, Tracey, Jacobsen, Vilanakis, Burley, Conteh

View attachment 6073

Was this the last time that Kelly played for us? I seem to remember Zola scoring a fantastic free kick past him.

You are probably right that all the official records are going to continue to have Field as the scorer. If you have 1974-75 Rothmans, could you please check who they had as the scorer. If they had Field then it must have been because they have been using one or two newspapers as the source for the scorers rather than the official programmes

I don't have it I am afraid.

In 45 years of going to football matches.... of witnessing the ball hoofed into the crowd... of being at tiny footy grounds where the players short sizes are visible from the touchline terraces that I've stood on....... I've never once made contact with the match ball. Wonder if that's "common"?
I caught it at Rochdale last season, my little un also caught it at Ashton Gate, unfortunately for him he caught it with his face :p

Greenwich Blade will tell you how his dad assisted John Matthews equaliser against Cambridge in Dec 1978

Greenwich Blade will tell you how his dad assisted John Matthews equaliser against Cambridge in Dec 1978

Ah yes. When I was in the EDS Pen my dad used to go on the John Street Terrace behind the dug-out where the staff and management of Firth Brown would give Jimmy Sirrell and Harry Haslam the benefit of their wisdom.

Only when United had played rubbish, and never when we were doing well, near the final whistle my dad would stroll across to the railings that divided the Pen from the Terrace and call me over. He would then proceed to give ME the benefit of his wisdom, including one time when we were 4-1 down against Manchester United when he just shouted, "Come on Adrian, we're not watching any more of this rubbish!"

On the occasion of the above-mentioned Cambridge United match, on a snow-covered pitch with the lines on the pitch cleared, United had gone 2-0 up, missed a penalty, and then proceeded to let Cambridge bang three in. In injury time my dad wandered over to have a good old moan when a clearance sailed over the fence onto the Terrace steps. My dad, being the only one in those few square yards, scrambled after the bouncing orange ball, picked it up and tossed it to Paul Garner who was waiting whilst giving the universal signal of, "Over here, mate" - the raised arm.

Garner then threw the ball short to John Matthews who collected it some way outside the area, dribbled it forward a few yards, and then smacked it into the top corner. It was only after we'd stopped celebrating that my mate Jez said, "Your dad set that goal up...". I've since contacted Andrew Kirkham but he refuses to list it as an '"Assist" for R G Bell.

August 21st 1971 - Everton 0 Blades 1 (Woodward). One of the three games I missed going to that season as I was on a family holiday in Ayr. I was gobsmacked when I found out the result. We beat Southampton 3-1 a week earlier then we beat L**ds (1969 League champions) 3-0 in midweek and then beating the 1970 League Champions at Goodison Park. Any of you remember going to the match?

79025467-sport-football-goodison-park-england-21st-gettyimages.jpg

I went to that match Silent Blade I was at Trinity & All Saints Colleges in Horsforth and one of my course and house mates took me to Liverpool for the weekend to stay at his mum and dad's house. He was gutted at the result - and, I think, embarrassed.

We went on a tour of Liverpool in the morning and when he pointed out "Dicky Lewis" and I looked up to see the statue, wolf-whistles echoed from some of the locals in the nearby pubs - must have been my long hair that did it! ;)

We're still mates and went to see him and his missus at their new home in Halifax last weekend.

August 28th 37 years ago 1978. One of those special nights.

View attachment 13077
Blades beat the European Champions, Emlyn Hughes and all

South Stand full for the first time, 35,000 attendance I think

I took and paid for mi mum and dad to go in the South Stand, Magic Night ....................

Pah! - Cup Competitions :rolleyes:

The Team the Blades beat

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal, Phil Thompson, Emlyn Hughes, Alan Kennedy

Jimmy Case, Terry McDermott, Graeme Souness, Ray Kennedy

Steve Heighway Kenny Dalglish

The Team that won the European cup just months earlier

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal, Phil Thompson, Alan Hansen, Emlyn Hughes

Jimmy Case, Terry McDermott, Graeme Souness, Ray Kennedy

David Fairclough Kenny Dalglish

Afternoon all, apologies for not posting the last few days, been away on tour last weekend. Time to catch up:
5468958569_4d2b803f5f_m.jpg 5495863326_1741054fcc_m.jpg 5541452546_bcfd821e41_m.jpg 5460076560_59f13d77ce_m (1).jpg
29th August: 2004 11 years ago: Monty on the cover against L***s, a 2-0 win courtesy of Ward and Harley.
30th August 1986 29 years ago: The Burton sponsored L***s. A 1-0 win via Tony Philliskirk.
31st August 1974 41 years ago: 3-1 Ipswich. On YTV, Revie went into raptures about Tony Field's goal being one of the best he'd ever seen. Never got an England call up tho.
1st September 1965 50 years ago: A goaless stalemate with Sherman making his debut.

And Today: 46 years ago: 2-0 Newcastle United League Cup. A rather battered offering. Who scored and also played in goal?
5563813709_bc869a5573_z.jpg

Yer not on your own.

And Today: 46 years ago: 2-0 Newcastle United League Cup. A rather battered offering. Who scored and also played in goal?
View attachment 13158

GOAL - v Newcastle (h) 2.9.69. A corner was won within thirty seconds of the start. Woodward came across from the right to take it and his banana kick sneaked in at the near post as Powell harassed Craggs.
ASSIST - v Newcastle (h) 2.9.69. Woodward chased down the right flank and curved over an immaculate cross for Tudor to mark his return to the first team with a perfect header.

Sharrowblade could you please post the photos of the two goals please?

Blades beat the European Champions, Emlyn Hughes and all

South Stand full for the first time, 35,000 attendance I think

I took and paid for mi mum and dad to go in the South Stand, Magic Night ....................

Pah! - Cup Competitions :rolleyes:

South stand was full quite a few times at the beginning of the 75-76 season as I recall... e.g. opener against Derby...

GOAL - v Newcastle (h) 2.9.69. A corner was won within thirty seconds of the start. Woodward came across from the right to take it and his banana kick sneaked in at the near post as Powell harassed Craggs.
ASSIST - v Newcastle (h) 2.9.69. Woodward chased down the right flank and curved over an immaculate cross for Tudor to mark his return to the first team with a perfect header.

Sharrowblade could you please post the photos of the two goals please?

I'll see what I can do :cool:

Back
Top Bottom