Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It was the Sportsman ,and Id say the Limit was mainly Blades ,we had most of West st ,but one or two of Wendys main lads used to hide behind the bouncers on a regular basis.
Agreed - from memory, The Linit and West Street in general, were Blades strongholds, I remember a lot of SWFC fans going in the top Three Tuns on Leopold street.

The Penthouse was a right hole , but saw some great gigs there. Uk Subs had a virtual residency :) It was also called Rebels ,don't think a night ever went by without seeing a scrap ,and there were plenty of steps to get chucked down .

Saw the UK Subs there, met Charlie Harper at the bar, I helped out on the door (at 17), saw Angelic Upstarts and other bands as well. A dump!

The bouncer was Baxendale, an evil cunt.

Following more, er, research yesterday lunchtime here's a correction to my post #37 and a pub that's not been mentioned yet. I said the Buccaneer, Leopold Street became the Claymore - wrong, the Claymore was at the bottom of the ramp leading up to the Top Rank on Arundel Gate. The Buccaneer became..................

..........The Pig & Whistle.

At one time, it seemed that half the staff from Coles went in the Yorkshireman - especially those who worked in the loading bay. It was like Liverpool Docks!

Remember 'Improvisions' at Top Rank/Roxy's? Held on Sundays, I saw The Stranglers, Generation X, Iggy Pop etc. there. It was about £1.50 to get in.

Yes, I used to go, saw The Jam there

Did Baxendale run Rebels in the mid-eighties? I remember a bouncer there called (Geordie) George. They were cunts, lot of 'em. Seen them hit women.

George Moffatt I believe. Lived in Page Hall. Great bloke away from the club. Got in some scrapes with his mates Steve Donaldson and his younger brother a number of times. Steve wrote a book called "a government health warning" when he grew out of being silly.

Trinny and Andy Dunnraven were the main bouncers in the Limit

Until Mick Crich turned up, he was a handful!, There was a lad called Ivan as well, Mick McLean worked there in later years, a big Blade, and Trinny's brother worked the door as well.

This thread has brought back some great memories! In the early 80's, the Pump tavern was our pre-match meeting place, happy days.

Buccaneer was on Leopold Street. Became another underground bar (Claymore) and is now the Bessemer. The Pump was behind the Moor - corner of Earl Street/Eyre Street. Between The Minerva becoming the Yorkshire Grey, it went wild as Bar Rio. Another one probably best forgotten was The Cross Guns, Sharrow Lane. (Later became 'Tuxedo Blue' - well dodgy). Talking of which, The Vine Inn, Cemetery Road is, I believe, still going.

There's been an enormous 'churn' of city centre pubs over the years, but a lot are reincarnated. The Pheasant on London Road was always a Blades stronghold and is now, I think, Barry's. Not my taste, but The Mulberry Tavern shut but is now back in business. Talking of 'not my taste', there was The Cossack on the way down to The Howard, via The Globe. For every Albert, there's now a Devonshire Cat. Someone mentioned The Great Gatsby on Division Street - used to be The Foresters. I think I had my very first alcoholic drink in The Moorfoot Tavern. Three bottles of Barley Wine ('Stingo') in a pint pot. 66p. The rest is (vague) history. There's a recently-revamped United boozer on London Road/Alderson Road whose name escapes me, as does the one at the very bottom of Cemetery Road (v. near to where The Landsdowne was).

Surprised nobody's mentioned The Sheaf House:
220px-The_Sheaf_House.jpg

The Sportsman, Denby Street is no more. The entire area has changed and it can't sustain business on just match days only.

Happy days. (Are they open yet? :))

Still reading the thread so someone else may have commented but what is now the Bessemer used to be the Fountain Bar and The Pig and Whistle ( originally the cobbled bar in the Stonehouse) the Claymore was on Arundel Gate opposite the (new) Mulberry and just before the Top Rank.

Gatsbys was the Foresters - home of the Sheffield Boxing set up as Bomber Baines had it for many years and was called the Olive before Gatsbys.

The old Saddle was a Blades pub at one time

Someone mentioned the Sheldon being run by a Wendy, are they thinking of Duggie?

Crown at Heeley was another one.

I'm back! (they're not open yet :() I've just finished reading (half of) 'Divide of the Steel City: Blade versus Owl' (well worth around four quid.) The author - Steve Cowens - describes when the police formed a cordon outside a pub and beat the shit out of Unitedites being forced outside. He says it was The Sportsman. Surely The Sheldon?

He also describes The Limit being strongly pro-Wendy. Well, I went in for a few years and it never was.

It was during his time. Never before.

Until Mick Crich turned up, he was a handful!, There was a lad called Ivan as well, Mick McLean worked there in later years, a big Blade, and Trinny's brother worked the door as well.

Now there's a couple of blasts from the past! Mick Crich ended up on the front page of (I think) The Sun. 'Last of the Vikings' was the headline because his girlfriend had stabbed him to death. Not connected (I think...) one night in Uriah Heeps, it was packed and Crich had a bird over the end of the bar (underground car park end) and was giving her one! Only about 200 other punters in at the time. Who said romance was dead? One of Crich's mates was a tall, black lad called Vinnie. But that's another story!

Ivan (Bradley) also did a few stints at the Wap. 5' 6" tall, 5' 6" wide, I went to school with him and his party piece was to sit in one of those ancient 'all-in-one' school desks where the 'desk' (no more than a wooden box with a sloped, hinged top) and the 'seat' (a wooden plank) was connected at both sides with incredibly heavy cast iron frames. The whole lot weighed at least a .cwt. Ivan used to wrap his arms over the top bit, kick himself forward and do a forward-roll while holding on to the entire structure. Until one day he got his timing wrong. Halfway through his roll, his grip slipped and the whole lot slammed down on him and cut his throat. He lived, but had a massive scar almost from ear to ear.

No 'elf & safety' back then...

(Going to Lynne's on Saturday, Phil?)

I lived 3 doors down from the Druids in Page Hall in the early 1980's. Rough old area that. Pub on the corner was the Firth Park Hotel I think. I used to go in often enough but the memory plays tricks

Firth Park Hotel, once run by the Bardell family. Son Kenny Bardell sang with the Ken Mackintosh Orchestra made lots of radio shows and records but liked the fizzy pop Great bloke.

I was good friends with Mick Maclean and his brother Alex who both worked the door and were Blades ,Alex lived on Parkhill flats and drove a Rolls Royce and no one ever touched it. Gary Green also worked on the door a big fucker from Hunters Bar who you wouldn't mess with as did his bother Graham.

Now there's a couple of blasts from the past! Mick Crich ended up on the front page of (I think) The Sun. 'Last of the Vikings' was the headline because his girlfriend had stabbed him to death. Not connected (I think...) one night in Uriah Heeps, it was packed and Crich had a bird over the end of the bar (underground car park end) and was giving her one! Only about 200 other punters in at the time. Who said romance was dead? One of Crich's mates was a tall, black lad called Vinnie. But that's another story!

Ivan (Bradley) also did a few stints at the Wap. 5' 6" tall, 5' 6" wide, I went to school with him and his party piece was to sit in one of those ancient 'all-in-one' school desks where the 'desk' (no more than a wooden box with a sloped, hinged top) and the 'seat' (a wooden plank) was connected at both sides with incredibly heavy cast iron frames. The whole lot weighed at least a .cwt. Ivan used to wrap his arms over the top bit, kick himself forward and do a forward-roll while holding on to the entire structure. Until one day he got his timing wrong. Halfway through his roll, his grip slipped and the whole lot slammed down on him and cut his throat. He lived, but had a massive scar almost from ear to ear.

No 'elf & safety' back then...

(Going to Lynne's on Saturday, Phil?)

One story I heard was that at a party in Walkley, Mick Crich saw his girlfriend flirting with some bloke, The bloke was leaning against a book case, with the palm of his hand against it. MC walked up, pulled out a knife, stabbed the bloke through the hand, pinning his hand against the book case, said "wait here", and walked off with his girlfriend, they had words and she stormed off, he then came back and retrieved his knife and knocked seven bells out of the guy.

Ivan - I used to go watching local bands, and he sometimes took pictures, we got talking and he was explaining what sort of camera and lenses he had (I had a Kodak instamatic!), as you say, short stocky bloke, very pleasant with me. Saw him a few weeks later in the Limit, didn't realise he worked there. We sort of nodded to each other, too loud to say anything, then a mass brawl broke out, like something from a wild west film, the next thing I saw Ivan run along the stage, dive off and did a flying head butt on some bloke and took about three of his mates out at the same time, like human bowling ball.

The Limit door crew were the toughest I ever came across, without a doubt.

Saturday, let me find out what we have going on.

I was good friends with Mick Maclean and his brother Alex who both worked the door and were Blades ,Alex lived on Parkhill flats and drove a Rolls Royce and no one ever touched it. Gary Green also worked on the door a big fucker from Hunters Bar who you wouldn't mess with as did his bother Graham.

Alex and Mick had a business for a time (if you remember) importing Schlitz beer, from Milwaukee, USA. I used to meet Mick before footy sometimes on a Saturday, along with a load of other Park Hill flats lads (Des and Gary, another Gary, Nicky, Russ). We all started meeting on a Friday and a Saturday night, we met across from the Mulberry Tavern, bottom of the ramp up to Top Rank/Steelys/Roxys. Lads from all over Sheffield, ended up about 15-20 of us going out in town every week, never had any trouble......

I never paid to go in the Limit when Mick was on the door.

Gary Green rings a bell as well.

Gary Green thats a name from the past.
One minute he was a name then just disappeared.

Anyone remember Rebels? 50p Newcastle Brown. Or was it two for 50p?

Right hike up about 10 flights of stairs to get into that place, and many a person was lobbed down them.

Just thought I'd throw this random picture in...
post-240-1173873830.jpg

First band I ever saw were Sham69 at the Top Rank in 79 when I was 15.

There were mob fights breaking out all night between gangs of punks and skins. The roadies protected the gear on the stage and the bouncers protected the bar. The rest of just took our chances.....

I've had a few moments outside Elland Road and the Pig but never shat myself as much as that night. IIRC Sheffield was the second date of the tour and it was cancelled after the next one as it was just an orgy of violence.

Where did we start the thread?
"Come on, come on
Hurry up 'Arry come on,
We're going down the pub"

heh.. i was at that gig.. stood on the balcony with my arm in a cast cos i broke it playing football and i was watching the absolute carnage below
the funniest bit was Jimmy Pursey begged for a bit of calm and started Kids United and had a punk and a skinhead singing with him.. awww how nice
as soon as the music stopped they all started fighting again :D

heh.. i was at that gig.. stood on the balcony with my arm in a cast cos i broke it playing football and i was watching the absolute carnage below
the funniest bit was Jimmy Pursey begged for a bit of calm and started Kids United and had a punk and a skinhead singing with him.. awww how nice
as soon as the music stopped they all started fighting again :D
Didn't someone lose a ring and Pursey stopped until it was found or am I dreaming that ,I know I was in the carnage ,loved it :)

Alex and Mick had a business for a time (if you remember) importing Schlitz beer, from Milwaukee, USA. I used to meet Mick before footy sometimes on a Saturday, along with a load of other Park Hill flats lads (Des and Gary, another Gary, Nicky, Russ). We all started meeting on a Friday and a Saturday night, we met across from the Mulberry Tavern, bottom of the ramp up to Top Rank/Steelys/Roxys. Lads from all over Sheffield, ended up about 15-20 of us going out in town every week, never had any trouble......

I never paid to go in the Limit when Mick was on the door.

Gary Green rings a bell as well.
I started out in the transport game the same time that Mick had a transport company running out of his house at Hunters Bar ,the house was full of parcels which we took all over the country ,it was chaos ,great blokes though Mick and Alex.
The story I know about Mick Crich was in Locarno ,when the manager (Moustache guy ,Dave I think ,also ran gossips) refused him entry upstairs because of the dress code. He produced some scissors from somewhere and cut his tie off and asked him who was the better dressed now. The bouncers daren't do anything ,even Joe.

Remember just down from the Wap was a pub called The Underground.... they'd serve anyone who wasn't in school uniform.

Which is why me and my friends went there when we were seriously underage. Some of the Druids used to come down and they were reasonably pleasant - not that a bunch of spotty twats from Silverdale posed much of a threat.

I remember one of them being called Spanner.

The Underground was on Charles Street. Here, in fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1s3ldn4ru41yXfCQdC3bqINQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There were mob fights breaking out all night between gangs of punks and skins. The roadies protected the gear on the stage and the bouncers protected the bar. The rest of just took our chances.....

I've had a few moments outside Elland Road and the Pig but never shat myself as much as that night. IIRC Sheffield was the second date of the tour and it was cancelled after the next one as it was just an orgy of violence.

Where did we start the thread?
"Come on, come on
Hurry up 'Arry come on,
We're going down the pub"

I saw Sham 69 in 1978 at the old students union building in Pond Street (not the Nelson Mandela building, the one before that), support werre two Sheffield bands, one called The ?, who went on to beecome Artery and the other were called Reactor, singer dressed like Alex from " A Clockwork Orange" and loads of skinheads turned up (even though this was before the big skinhead revival), they later carried on the Clockwork Orange theme and changed their name to Molodoy.

Back
Top Bottom