Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Henry's occupies the same building which housed the Barleycorn.

Yes thats what I thought then became the Cambridge Hotel from where I was barred from for a couple of years it happened after the Orient match first game of the season 1978 plenty kicked off that day

Yes thats what I thought then became the Cambridge Hotel from where I was barred from for a couple of years it happened after the Orient match first game of the season 1978 plenty kicked off that day
Must have had bollocks with pigs
Orient are a flask and sandwich fans:)

did anyone else frequent the snooker hall which I think was in the first floor of the 4 storey building? or was it a couple of doors up? The grubbiest, most fly blown dive I experienced outside the pages of a Chandler novel.

I think it was Faulkner's. There used to be a snooker club above the Limit (first floor). They had the early, qualifying rounds for the Crucible there. How anybody ever qualified, I don't know. The long rest wobbled like fuck as the threads where the bits screwed together were well fucked.

One Sunday me and the lads, fresh out of the boozer, went along to have a knock about. We were making a right racket and the ref. from a qualifying game around a partition came round and gave us a 'if looks could kill' glare. Len Ganley.

Reactions: Dkc
And not forgettin " The CRAZY DAISEY" and The Blue Ball

Blue Ball on High Street is now Cavells. Decent boozer, but not sure if it opens in the evenings.

21030420.jpg

Crazy Daizy was next door. Absolutely legendary for Christmas Eve lunchtimes when all the town centre office tarts came in to, er, relax. :D

upload_2015-7-8_9-56-30.png

(directed at Mr. Graphic House)

Blimey, I'm more amazed than you are that they played any professional snooker there if we are talking about the same place (between the Cambridge St. Sportsman Pub and the "Restaurant with no Name" up a rickety flight of steps?) - because the baize was as bald as Ghandi (& Gandhi), it had gas heaters straight from a stalag (but worse maintained) and the loos were clogged up with bog roll (etc.) sufficient to inhibit your usual bodily functions on sight (apart from the gag reflex, for which it did the opposite).

Tell me, was Len Ganley wearing cotton gloves or rubber ones?

Went into the tramway when I was 16 with my mate pre-kick off. It was the first time I had attempted to be served booze. Got a mixed race guy behind the bar who I am sure had a cockney accent.

Jehovah " Can I have two pints of stones please?"

Barman "You gawt any ID?"

Jehovah "No"

Barman "Well FACK OFF THEN"

....Jehovah Facks off.....

(directed at Mr. Graphic House)

Blimey, I'm more amazed than you are that they played any professional snooker there if we are talking about the same place (between the Cambridge St. Sportsman Pub and the "Restaurant with no Name" up a rickety flight of steps?) - because the baize was as bald as Ghandi (& Gandhi), it had gas heaters straight from a stalag (but worse maintained) and the loos were clogged up with bog roll (etc.) sufficient to inhibit your usual bodily functions on sight (apart from the gag reflex, for which it did the opposite).

Tell me, was Len Ganley wearing cotton gloves or rubber ones?

Crossed wires, vorpal. Faulkner's was the shithole you refer to on Cambridge Street. My 'experience' with Mr. Ganley was the snooker club above the Limit on West Street - that's the one where they had the qualifiers. He had rubber gloves on. I think Michaela Tabb had just started refereeing.:D

michaela-tabb-1.jpg

Back in the late 60's the Hermitage on London Road wasa popular pre-match haunt. They had a video type juke box which was rather unique for the time. Reparata and the Delron's 'Captain of your Ship' always went down rather well with the lads, probably due to the video!.

Anyone remember 'The Penthouse' which was then renamed 'Rebels'.
yep, spent a lot of time in there through the 70s. First time I went I was 16 and it was on a monday when it was free to get in and 10p a pint night. Was carried out in a semi conscious state by some older mates and did not make it to school the next day! Never went after it was Rebels.

Must have had bollocks with pigs
Orient are a flask and sandwich fans:)

It was mainly with Plod after the game we had just signed Sabella opening day of the season lots of optimism about but we lost the game think there was a couple of cop cars overturned in the mayhem that lasted most of the night

It was mainly with Plod after the game we had just signed Sabella opening day of the season lots of optimism about but we lost the game think there was a couple of cop cars overturned in the mayhem that lasted most of the night
Mick Parry as well?

I saw the Dead Kennedys at the Leadmill too, no bar, sawdust on the floor, and punks climbing over walls and through windows to get in free. Must have been around 1980 or 81.
the one with the parachute in the rafters?? yeah i've been half deaf ever since.. it was so loud i went out and puked up.. think it was 1980.. uk decay support??

[QUOTE="vorpal blade, post: 787897, member: 5063"
As Doncaster folk we used to call in at the Nelson Mandela building which housed the Polytechnic Student Union for a drink before we caught the train home. [/QUOTE]
tha' means't fenix lad ;)

Lee and Donna left because they were being ripped off by the pubco... last I heard it was having some work done so presumably staying as a pub but not seen anything else.

I will endeavour to run down on Wednesday to see if I can see any signs of life.

'As tha been yet luv?! Don't run too fast and fall.

Went into the tramway when I was 16 with my mate pre-kick off. It was the first time I had attempted to be served booze. Got a mixed race guy behind the bar who I am sure had a cockney accent.

Jehovah " Can I have two pints of stones please?"

Barman "You gawt any ID?"

Jehovah "No"

Barman "Well FACK OFF THEN"

....Jehovah Facks off.....
I loved the Tramway. In what other pub could you buy a brand new drill, to £10 notes for only £5! :D

UTB

Crossed wires, vorpal. Faulkner's was the shithole you refer to on Cambridge Street. My 'experience' with Mr. Ganley was the snooker club above the Limit on West Street - that's the one where they had the qualifiers. He had rubber gloves on. I think Michaela Tabb had just started refereeing.:D

michaela-tabb-1.jpg
That photo is abselutly brilliant.
Any more of her in similar mode

the one with the parachute in the rafters?? yeah i've been half deaf ever since.. it was so loud i went out and puked up.. think it was 1980.. uk decay support??
Your right , SP , UK decay were indeed the support , memory serves my right the upstarts played 2 gigs that day one for us young folks , then a later slot for the older guys , did the police kill Liddell Towers ?..

That boozer was the Stonehouse. It was done up like a town square, with high ceilings made to look like the Sky. It used to be where TK Maxx is now.

I saw the Dead Kennedys at the Leadmill too, no bar, sawdust on the floor, and punks climbing over walls and through windows to get in free. Must have been around 1980 or 81.
The Stonehouse that's the one fella , thanks for that after a few in there , down the hill to the golden ball .

Your right , SP , UK decay were indeed the support , memory serves my right the upstarts played 2 gigs that day one for us young folks , then a later slot for the older guys , did the police kill Liddell Towers ?..
Ive got Who killed Liddel Towers on 7 inch vinyl ,been told its worth a tidy sum as it is very rare with an etching of a copper and hello hello hello on that shiny black bit near the middle of the record. And yes they did. Having been with the Blades on the infamous 'nightmare in Chester le street' when the locals gave us an interesting night after a game at Newcastle ,you can see why the cops don't take prisoners with some of the headcases up there. Hardest town in the Uk with Farnworth and Ferrybridge in my experience.

Ive got Who killed Liddel Towers on 7 inch vinyl ,been told its worth a tidy sum as it is very rare with an etching of a copper and hello hello hello on that shiny black bit near the middle of the record. And yes they did. Having been with the Blades on the infamous 'nightmare in Chester le street' when the locals gave us an interesting night after a game at Newcastle ,you can see why the cops don't take prisoners with some of the headcases up there. Hardest town in the Uk with Farnworth and Ferrybridge in my experience.
Who killed Liddle , did you kill Liddle, police killed Liddle towers , used to have that record myself ,
With the letters cut out and pasted onto cover of sleeve , cockney rejects copied that style for there own records I believe .
War on the terraces , and all that .

Didn't it go under a couple of other names too ? Faces and Charlie Parkers ring a bell.
Faces was ok it was one of towns first wine bars we went in opening night thinking we could drink wine like beer.
Bad mistake

An interesting one is the Cavendish on West Street:

5494542_eflnpstz26_o.jpg

It was built in 3 stages in 1907, 1910 and 1919 as a car showroom/workshops for Sheffield Motor Company. To get the cars up onto the first-floor ramps were built from both West Street and, round the corner, on Mappin Street (where Revolution de Cuba now is.) As cars got heavier, the floor and ramps had to be reinforced. Even I don't remember those days :D but I do remember it being run by Kennings (probably in the 60's/70's).

It's now a large bar for feckless student-types.

Back
Top Bottom