Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Legends [now the Hillsborough Tap ] must have been a old Blade pub , as although i have never been in , it had a Large Blades flag in the window , the only other time i have seen a flag where it was safe , for the pub clientele to show there allegiance was Millwall

I had a temporary job at Cole Bros for a while and some of us used to go in the Yorkshireman after work

I went in the Yorkshireman after the Walsall game in 1981 that saw us relegated to Division 4. It was the first time I had seen (what to me as a mere youth) were fully grown men crying, even sobbing into their beer.

The Tramway is being pulled down, there's scaffolding round it at the moment.

The Cross Guns on Sharrow Lane hasn't been mentioned. I was once there when it was busted by the police before a game against the pigs, for illegal early doors. It must have been an 11am ko and the place was rammed by 9am.

The Royal was always good. I wonder what happened to the Jamaicans who used to play dominos in the tap room?

The Earl was also a great place, but I'm sure it only ever made money on match days. With the Bridge closed too, it's a long hike from Heeley to the pubs near the Lane.

I liked the Pump too, very handy place half way up The Moor.

One place I was always guaranteed a drink was the Priory Hotel on Woustenholme Rd. It was a bit of a dive but it seemed to be always open. And if it the main door was locked, you could knock and they'd let you in. That's gone too now, it's being turned into an Italian restaurant.

Bar Rio
It was run by two gay guys
Only went in Bar Rio the one time..must have been around 77/78..Came out of the Claymore and decided to go in,there was only about 8 people in there...strange place wasn't it...we supped up and headed over the road to the Roebuck.
Used to like The Sportsman pre match,shame it closed as with a lot of pubs now gone.

Only went in Bar Rio the one time..must have been around 77/78..Came out of the Claymore and decided to go in,there was only about 8 people in there...strange place wasn't it...we supped up and headed over the road to the Roebuck.
Used to like The Sportsman pre match,shame it closed as with a lot of pubs now gone.
Sunday night was Rio night It used to get rammed
It brought town to life on Sundays plenty of women in.
That meant we only had Tuesday off well you had to see girlfriend one night:)

Has come back to me. It was Olga Marshall. I was there on the last night. My cousin was a barman and gave me pernod and black all night free. I took a cannon home and a guy called Martin Beresford who was a bouncer took it off me (cos he was big and hard and I was pissed) and it was shoved out of his attic window on Glossop Road for a couple of years.

Buccaneer was on Leopold Street. Became another underground bar (Claymore) and is now the Bessemer. The Pump was behind the Moor - corner of Earl Street/Eyre Street. Between The Minerva becoming the Yorkshire Grey, it went wild as Bar Rio. Another one probably best forgotten was The Cross Guns, Sharrow Lane. (Later became 'Tuxedo Blue' - well dodgy). Talking of which, The Vine Inn, Cemetery Road is, I believe, still going.

There's been an enormous 'churn' of city centre pubs over the years, but a lot are reincarnated. The Pheasant on London Road was always a Blades stronghold and is now, I think, Barry's. Not my taste, but The Mulberry Tavern shut but is now back in business. Talking of 'not my taste', there was The Cossack on the way down to The Howard, via The Globe. For every Albert, there's now a Devonshire Cat. Someone mentioned The Great Gatsby on Division Street - used to be The Foresters. I think I had my very first alcoholic drink in The Moorfoot Tavern. Three bottles of Barley Wine ('Stingo') in a pint pot. 66p. The rest is (vague) history. There's a recently-revamped United boozer on London Road/Alderson Road whose name escapes me, as does the one at the very bottom of Cemetery Road (v. near to where The Landsdowne was).

Surprised nobody's mentioned The Sheaf House:
220px-The_Sheaf_House.jpg

The Sportsman, Denby Street is no more. The entire area has changed and it can't sustain business on just match days only.

Happy days. (Are they open yet? :))
Yep the cossack was definitely a refined taste for the guy's who went in ;)

I went in the Yorkshireman after the Walsall game in 1981 that saw us relegated to Division 4. It was the first time I had seen (what to me as a mere youth) were fully grown men crying, even sobbing into their beer.
I cried on the kop :(

The vine has been shut for some time, currently being converted into 3 houses.

Reactions: Dkc
The Truro Tavern opposite the royal Standard was entertaining on friday nights in the early 70's it would be full of some quite notorious Unitedites, buses were parked up for the night behind the pub and a few lasses who came from Dingle land used them for karaoke lessons with the purple headed microphone. Other entertainment would be to steam through the Cossack just as it was closing on the way back to catch the bus in Pond St or there was always Pond St Nora to wind up. The Truro was the only boozer I have come across that was only licenced to sell beer, spirits and wine etc were not allowed.

The vine has been shut for some time, currently being converted into 3 houses.

When Gordon and Sue had the Vine, she sorted out what little trouble there was. For those who don't know the lay out, the Vine had been converted, so that the two rooms each had it's own entrance.
One afternoon Sue gave a drunk the bums rush, straight out onto the street.

A couple of minutes later he re entered via the other door to be confronted by Sue. "Fuckin Hell' said he, "Your twin has just thrown me out of the pub next door so she has"
Out he went again to much laughter from the regulars.

once saw a bouncer chuck someone out and the guy went down the first flight of steps, then rolled on and down another flight, and the bouncer said "I put some side on him"!

The bouncer was Baxendale, an evil cunt.

Following more, er, research yesterday lunchtime here's a correction to my post #37 and a pub that's not been mentioned yet. I said the Buccaneer, Leopold Street became the Claymore - wrong, the Claymore was at the bottom of the ramp leading up to the Top Rank on Arundel Gate. The Buccaneer became..................

..........The Pig & Whistle.

I had a temporary job at Cole Bros for a while and some of us used to go in the Yorkshireman after work

At one time, it seemed that half the staff from Coles went in the Yorkshireman - especially those who worked in the loading bay. It was like Liverpool Docks!

The Yorkshireman was where we went pre rock night at Roxys (second Monday every month I think) where all the best looking women in the best outfits went. Great nights. Sunday night was always a my favourite night in town ,finishing off in Gossips (Uriah Heeps) for a late one where you had to have a complimentary bowl of Chilli at 10.30 to comply with the licensing laws.

Remember 'Improvisions' at Top Rank/Roxy's? Held on Sundays, I saw The Stranglers, Generation X, Iggy Pop etc. there. It was about £1.50 to get in.

Last edited:

The bouncer was Baxendale, an evil cunt.

Following more, er, research yesterday lunchtime here's a correction to my post #37 and a pub that's not been mentioned yet. I said the Buccaneer, Leopold Street became the Claymore - wrong, the Claymore was at the bottom of the ramp leading up to the Top Rank on Arundel Gate. The Buccaneer became..................

..........The Pig & Whistle.

At one time, it seemed that half the staff from Coles went in the Yorkshireman - especially those who worked in the loading bay. It was like Liverpool Docks!

Remember 'Improvisions' at Top Rank/Roxy's? Held on Sundays, I saw The Stranglers, Generation X, Iggy Pop etc. there. It was about £1.50 to get in.
Not strictly true the Bucaneer was downstairs in what was the Grand Hotel. The Grand Hotel was demolished and the Pig and Whistle was located in the buildings that replaced the Grand Hotel.

Has come back to me. It was Olga Marshall. I was there on the last night. My cousin was a barman

Olga at the Wap! lol. Yes a blast from the past. She didn't really seem to fit in with the Wap clientele.

Your cousin didn't have curly hair did he? There was one barman who used to slam our Newcy Browns on the bar causing them to froth over and lose half the contents. We were only kids so daren't say 'owt.

Happy Days!

He also describes The Limit being strongly pro-Wendy. Well, I went in for a few years and it never was.
heh.. laughable.. what was that bouncers name that was a total blade?? blonde hair.. threw me out once ;).. i remember the riot there after the walsall game after someone said the wrong thing to him and it all kicked off.
it wasn't bax

Bell Hotel in Fitzalan Square. I never went in but my uncles always met in there before it closed. Remember the Montgomery on St Mary's, then onto the Royal Standard.

Buccaneer was on Leopold Street. Became another underground bar (Claymore) and is now the Bessemer. The Pump was behind the Moor - corner of Earl Street/Eyre Street. Between The Minerva becoming the Yorkshire Grey, it went wild as Bar Rio. Another one probably best forgotten was The Cross Guns, Sharrow Lane. (Later became 'Tuxedo Blue' - well dodgy). Talking of which, The Vine Inn, Cemetery Road is, I believe, still going.

There's been an enormous 'churn' of city centre pubs over the years, but a lot are reincarnated. The Pheasant on London Road was always a Blades stronghold and is now, I think, Barry's. Not my taste, but The Mulberry Tavern shut but is now back in business. Talking of 'not my taste', there was The Cossack on the way down to The Howard, via The Globe. For every Albert, there's now a Devonshire Cat. Someone mentioned The Great Gatsby on Division Street - used to be The Foresters. I think I had my very first alcoholic drink in The Moorfoot Tavern. Three bottles of Barley Wine ('Stingo') in a pint pot. 66p. The rest is (vague) history. There's a recently-revamped United boozer on London Road/Alderson Road whose name escapes me, as does the one at the very bottom of Cemetery Road (v. near to where The Landsdowne was).

Surprised nobody's mentioned The Sheaf House:
220px-The_Sheaf_House.jpg

The Sportsman, Denby Street is no more. The entire area has changed and it can't sustain business on just match days only.

Happy days. (Are they open yet? :))
3 barley wines in a glass, f@@kin hell. Used to use em as chasers in bernie inn after work outside castle market. Blew my head off.lol.

Was steve baxandale ever there, or was he crazy daisy.
Cant remember him working either, that lap dancing bar went tits up down Attercliffe he now lives in Spain.
Black Neville and Chris Salt worked the Daisy when i used to go 73-78

There were a fair few pigs in the Limit, especially on weekends. I tended to steer clear then, because Friday and Saturday nights had more of a townie vibe. It was rammed full of casual types, and you couldn't tell if most were United or Wednesday, though some wore tiny little badges. It kicked off in the Limit quite a lot and the Leadmill was similar on the weekend, lots of blokes looking to scrap, some of them footie fans, some not. I'd like to think there were always more Blades in the Leadmill.

What was the name of the pub on the corner, on the main road outside the Leadmill? It was open until a few years ago.

There were a fair few pigs in the Limit, especially on weekends. I tended to steer clear then, because Friday and Saturday nights had more of a townie vibe. It was rammed full of casual types, and you couldn't tell if most were United or Wednesday, though some wore tiny little badges. It kicked off in the Limit quite a lot and the Leadmill was similar on the weekend, lots of blokes looking to scrap, some of them footie fans, some not. I'd like to think there were always more Blades in the Leadmill.

What was the name of the pub on the corner, on the main road outside the Leadmill? It was open until a few years ago.

Do you mean the Globe?

Or did you mean the Stockroom?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom