Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No, right beside the Leadmill on the main street. Where was the Globe again? Howard St?

Was steve baxandale ever there, or was he crazy daisy.

Did Baxendale run Rebels in the mid-eighties? I remember a bouncer there called (Geordie) George. They were cunts, lot of 'em. Seen them hit women.

Has come back to me. It was Olga Marshall. I was there on the last night. My cousin was a barman and gave me pernod and black all night free. I took a cannon home and a guy called Martin Beresford who was a bouncer took it off me (cos he was big and hard and I was pissed) and it was shoved out of his attic window on Glossop Road for a couple of years.

Olga when she finished at the Wap.

nebirthday.jpg

Anyone remember Ken, the DJ? 'As tha got owt apaht from Jethro Tull?'

leavingdoken.jpg

nebirthday.jpg

leavingdoken.jpg
There was Les as well, used to DJ at the Wap and Rebels. 'Go on Les, stick a bit of Hawkwind on, you know you want to'.

I was never that keen on Wards beers.

I am sure someone once told me it was like drinking rabbit gravy.

HH

Wap in the early 80s with Stones's pumps!

12%20wap%20bar.jpg
I liked to go in the Wap now and again but me and good few others got a life ban after a dust up with the Druids (Sheffield Hells Angels) the balloon really went up that night

Yep the cossack was definitely a refined taste for the guy's who went in ;)
Me and my mate went in the Cossack, thinking the pooper shooter's ( :)) would leave us alone if they thought we were a couple.

The didn't. :)

UTB

nebirthday.jpg

leavingdoken.jpg

that's exactly as I remember Mrs Marshall, not your typical landlady but brilliant at calming stuff down when we were a bit OTT, unlike the landlord at the Nelson who just chucked you at and barred you (and remembered that he had for a couple of weeks as well). Happy days

Norfolk Arms?
Yes that's the one

The Druids kind of owned the Wap and the Yorkshireman. They were a proper motorcycle gang, in that they were into their bikes above all else. I think they had a clubhouse by the Wicker. OK they got trashed, got in fights and dealt in drugs too, but as a biker gang they weren't the worst.

Remember just down from the Wap was a pub called The Underground. I was about sixteen when it opened and I managed to convince my mate that they'd actually opened an underground railway in Sheffield and we could get a tube to the Lane from there.
He was a bit disappointed when we got in but soon cheered up when he realised they'd serve anyone who wasn't in school uniform.

Yes that's the one

The Druids kind of owned the Wap and the Yorkshireman. They were a proper motorcycle gang, in that they were into their bikes above all else. I think they had a clubhouse by the Wicker. OK they got trashed, got in fights and dealt in drugs too, but as a biker gang they weren't the worst.

The one we remember:

Norfolk%20ArmsSuffolk2014.jpg

....and the one the real old timers remember

s21520.jpg

What a photo, with the 'Magnet' neon sign proud and dominant at the bottom of Shoreham Street.

Not sure if they sold snuff in there though.....

The car (a Ford Consul?) has the reg 933 GWB which I think is 1964, so it's after that.

There are no tram lines on the road and I presume there would have been trams running down Suffolk Road, so late 60's?

The car (a Ford Consul?) has the reg 933 GWB which I think is 1964, so it's after that.

There are no tram lines on the road and I presume there would have been trams running down Suffolk Road, so late 60's?
Cheers.
My old man worked on the buses in Sheffield and had the same uniform as the chap in the picture, resplendent with company hat, metal lapel badge and virtually bomb-proof metal case to carry his ticket machine (which weighed an absolute ton).

leavingdoken.jpg

Certainly remeber Ken. Other DJ's were Keith Lennighan, Paul Unwin (arrogant cunt) and, of course George Webster who went on to found The Limit.

They thought they did until me and a couple of nutters persuaded them otherwise. They were violent, loppy bastards with no morals or bottle. They brought Eddie Kaminsky - leader of the Glasgow Blue Angels - down to sort me out. Olga begged me to 'lie low' but I couldn't. The 'great man' eventually arrived and we got on great! Me and my 2 mates had an epic dust-up with the Druids one Sunday night - us against 16 of them. The cops dragged us all in and showed us the tools they's taken off the Druids - truly frightening.

Is it closed for refurbishment?
I don't live in Sheffield these days but my folk's place is just around the corner from here. Not been back for a few weeks.

Lee and Donna left because they were being ripped off by the pubco... last I heard it was having some work done so presumably staying as a pub but not seen anything else.

I will endeavour to run down on Wednesday to see if I can see any signs of life.

Reactions: Dkc
No, right beside the Leadmill on the main street. Where was the Globe again? Howard St?

The Globe is still with us. Corner of Howard Street/Arundel Street. The Cossack was across Howard Street, going towards The Howard Hotel.

Here's another one. After a night's mayhem at the Wap, me and my mates used to retire to Mr. Kite's Wine Bar.

s23137.jpg

s21520.jpg

The old trams stopped running in Oct 1960, the car was a Ford Consul Classic manufactured from 1961 to 63, the car is pre Feb 1963 when the A suffix came out. The pic could well go back to 1961. Another clue, the tram lines are gone but the electric pole is still on the left of the picture. Early 60's ?
Dinner times in dodgers was a mix of us Autoways lads, Kennings lads and bus drivers and sometimes the scruffy grinders ....... lasses from the cutlery firms who were as scary as feck to young lads just starting their working life.

Last edited:
There were a fair few pigs in the Limit, especially on weekends. I tended to steer clear then, because Friday and Saturday nights had more of a townie vibe. It was rammed full of casual types, and you couldn't tell if most were United or Wednesday, though some wore tiny little badges. It kicked off in the Limit quite a lot and the Leadmill was similar on the weekend, lots of blokes looking to scrap, some of them footie fans, some not. I'd like to think there were always more Blades in the Leadmill.

What was the name of the pub on the corner, on the main road outside the Leadmill? It was open until a few years ago.

I was a regular in the Limit early 80s.

I'd say there were more Wednesday than United in there on Friday and Saturday night... and they almost always got the better of Smithy and co and the early "BBC" in the scrapping stakes (they weren't hard cases, just "naughty" trouble-causers, then a load of glory hunters - the real hard-nuts and animals got drawn in during the 90s).

I used to hang out with a lad from Sun'land who was mates with some of the Wednesday fans that were regulars (and regular scrappers). I often had a Blades badge on, and they never bothered me at all.

Often though the scrapping was not football related but just one or two regular groups of lads that clashed with anyone that wanted it. I remember though that you could stand inches away from them, arms folded around your plastic pint pot, as they rolled around on the floor and you'd never get drawn into it... it was more entertainment than dangerous for the "spectators". Though I do remember big, black Errol dropping someone with a hay-maker only to discover he was on the same side in a mob scrap, and offering comical grovelling apologies till someone else dotted him one.

The "Leeds" invasion was one of the most intense nights of violence I experienced in there, almost getting my throat cut by their main scum-bag hiding his weapon in a plastic bag as the aggro spilled out from the stair-well onto the street (I was just leaving) and ended with locals chasing them down to Pond Street and the station.... they picked off individuals on the way down until one or two of the Woodhouse lads got hold of them.

Some of those Wednesday fans gravitated away from West Street eventually and onto the Nursery eventually which became a battle ground 15 years later!

Someone mentioned the Claymore... became a Salsa bar many many years later... the Claymore was considered Sheffield's Geordie bar... (one in every town, they claim)... so it was their gathering place before games at the Lane - and hence became a venue for much trouble.

Amazon review of that book is hilarious!

by THE OWL "A VERY GOOD ACCOUNT OF THE TRIBAL DIVIDE OF THE SHEFFIELD FOOTBALL HOOLIGAN.A BIT BIASED TOWARDS THE BLADES BBC WHO IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES WERE A MORE ORGANIZED GROUP , BUT OVERALL THE WEDNESDAY FIRM HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE UPPER HAND"

Late 60s and early to mid 70s Wednesday certainly did have the upper hand.
Late 70s that began to change (as we ended up in the third with them for the first time) and by the early 80s it was the other way round and stayed that way for a long time. Early 90s Wednesday had no firm and only "mobbed" up in response to the real meat-heads and nutters that attached themselves to United at that time. I wouldn't know what the balance of power is now though.

I liked to go in the Wap now and again but me and good few others got a life ban after a dust up with the Druids (Sheffield Hells Angels) the balloon really went up that night

I lived 3 doors down from the Druids in Page Hall in the early 1980's. Rough old area that. Pub on the corner was the Firth Park Hotel I think. I used to go in often enough but the memory plays tricks

Reactions: Dkc

Back
Top Bottom