Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Saw the Undertones at the Top Rank in 1980, my second ever gig. First had been Sham69 at the same venue a few weeks earlier. About 800 skinheads fought with a couple of hundred punks all night, and the under age Herberts like us (jeans and Harringtons) tried to keep out of the way. The bouncers searched everybody thoroughly on the way in and then just protected the bar. Sham's battle hardened roadies protected the stage and their gear, so the dance floor was a free for all. Seen some football shit in the 80s and got a hiding a couple of times, but I've never been as scared as that night.
IIRC, Sheffield was the 2nd date of about 20. The tour was abandoned after just 4 gigs. The positive thing was that the Undertones made me realise gigs could actually be fun!

Another punk(ish) band with black lads;
I was at the Sham gig too ,Pursey stopped halfway through and had everyone look for a wedding ring as I remember. Then back to mayhem ,but too much gozzing for me and i watched from a bit further back. The acoustics at the Top Rank were shocking ,massively disappointed at The Clash. The Ramones was the best gig I saw there. The two tone tour with Selecter ,Madness and The Specials promised to be but was cut short as it ran overtime.

Early 90s I think, if pushed I’d say 94. Certainly think it was beer only in 87 as I went in to celebrate the fact it was only ale.
Last known pub to have different pricing between tap and saloon is still going down here in Broadstairs. Unless anyone knows of a Sheffield pub?. And for anyone interested it’s 4 p more for the pleasures of the saloon!! How pub times change so quickly…
No but the Banner Cross was 1p more a pint in the lounge in the mid 80s.

It's now owned by Martin Leverton. Think it's called network now?
He also owns music junkee record shop/music equipment store. And used to own Reflex Records which was located near the egg box town hall.
Think he also runs the Reflective bassline music nights.
He bought plug and the adjoining smaller club and has knocked it all into a 3 room nightclub.
He's on a programme on channel 5 tonight called dream home interiors, having a snooker room done in his house.

Back
Top Bottom