Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

yep. The beer was even worse in there than other city centre pubs in those dark days before real beer made it's comeback, we used to have it 50/50 with cider - snakebites - but the music and atmosphere in the Wap was amazing.

My Saturday nights as a teenager in Sheffield normally consisted of the following.....off the Bus straight into the Old Queens Head, Mulberry Tavern, Crucible Bar, Y.Grey, Wap, Frog, then down to Rebels (occasionally having a swifty in the pub at the bottom of the road Rebels was on?)

Bitter Snakebites with Dry Cider were very much the order of the day.

Happy times.

Nowt to do with United boozers but the Buccaneer shut in August 1973, Bert was in there on the very last night.

Jolly Buffer and then the Devonshire eccy road.

Buccaneer was on Leopold Street. Became another underground bar (Claymore) and is now the Bessemer. The Pump was behind the Moor - corner of Earl Street/Eyre Street. Between The Minerva becoming the Yorkshire Grey, it went wild as Bar Rio. Another one probably best forgotten was The Cross Guns, Sharrow Lane. (Later became 'Tuxedo Blue' - well dodgy). Talking of which, The Vine Inn, Cemetery Road is, I believe, still going.

There's been an enormous 'churn' of city centre pubs over the years, but a lot are reincarnated. The Pheasant on London Road was always a Blades stronghold and is now, I think, Barry's. Not my taste, but The Mulberry Tavern shut but is now back in business. Talking of 'not my taste', there was The Cossack on the way down to The Howard, via The Globe. For every Albert, there's now a Devonshire Cat. Someone mentioned The Great Gatsby on Division Street - used to be The Foresters. I think I had my very first alcoholic drink in The Moorfoot Tavern. Three bottles of Barley Wine ('Stingo') in a pint pot. 66p. The rest is (vague) history. There's a recently-revamped United boozer on London Road/Alderson Road whose name escapes me, as does the one at the very bottom of Cemetery Road (v. near to where The Landsdowne was).

Surprised nobody's mentioned The Sheaf House:
220px-The_Sheaf_House.jpg

The Sportsman, Denby Street is no more. The entire area has changed and it can't sustain business on just match days only.

Happy days. (Are they open yet? :))

Last edited:
The Vine on Cemetery Road. We didn't drink there that often but a nice little boozer all the same.

It featured in a Sheffield located film about a gang of blokes who paint electricity pylons; 'Among giants' with Pete Postelthwaite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_Giants

Around the time of the film's release, the Bedford van converted for use as a camper van—dubbed "the shagging wagon" in the film—was stolen and burnt out in Sheffield

I'm back! (they're not open yet :() I've just finished reading (half of) 'Divide of the Steel City: Blade versus Owl' (well worth around four quid.) The author - Steve Cowens - describes when the police formed a cordon outside a pub and beat the shit out of Unitedites being forced outside. He says it was The Sportsman. Surely The Sheldon?

He also describes The Limit being strongly pro-Wendy. Well, I went in for a few years and it never was.

Cheers both, I can just about remember it now, but had thus thread not started it would have been cast from my memory.

Just goes to show how easy it is to forget things. And for what? An indoor market that has pretty much flopped after 12 months (sad face)

Here's another question for you then. I seem to recall a really old pub on Division Street (opposite side to the Frog) that may now be the Great Gatsby or was a completely separate place. It was the classic old style of a red sign, frosted windows etc.I don't know if it was a Blades pub but I do seem to remember it as a teenager but can't recall the name.

Just remembered the old Red Lion behind the City Hall as well. Not really a Blades pub either but a fantastic pre gig venue.
\The foresters on division st

I'm back! (they're not open yet :() I've just finished reading (half of) 'Divide of the Steel City: Blade versus Owl' (well worth around four quid.) The author - Steve Cowens - describes when the police formed a cordon outside a pub and beat the shit out of Unitedites being forced outside. He says it was The Sportsman. Surely The Sheldon?

He also describes The Limit being strongly pro-Wendy. Well, I went in for a few years and it never was.
It was the Sportsman ,and Id say the Limit was mainly Blades ,we had most of West st ,but one or two of Wendys main lads used to hide behind the bouncers on a regular basis.

Amazon review of that book is hilarious!

by THE OWL "A VERY GOOD ACCOUNT OF THE TRIBAL DIVIDE OF THE SHEFFIELD FOOTBALL HOOLIGAN.A BIT BIASED TOWARDS THE BLADES BBC WHO IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES WERE A MORE ORGANIZED GROUP , BUT OVERALL THE WEDNESDAY FIRM HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE UPPER HAND"

Which pub was up from the Leadmill- on the corner? Was it the Cambridge?
It was between the Railway Station & The Lane & we use to give it some hammer. It was good boozer on match days....
Not Cambridge, Norfolk Arms was its proper name, but everybody called it Dodgers and a regular watering hole for bus drivers and conductors.

Cheers both, I can just about remember it now, but had thus thread not started it would have been cast from my memory.

Just goes to show how easy it is to forget things. And for what? An indoor market that has pretty much flopped after 12 months (sad face)

Here's another question for you then. I seem to recall a really old pub on Division Street (opposite side to the Frog) that may now be the Great Gatsby or was a completely separate place. It was the classic old style of a red sign, frosted windows etc.I don't know if it was a Blades pub but I do seem to remember it as a teenager but can't recall the name.

Just remembered the old Red Lion behind the City Hall as well. Not really a Blades pub either but a fantastic pre gig venue.
That would be the Foresters.

Amazon review of that book is hilarious!

by THE OWL "A VERY GOOD ACCOUNT OF THE TRIBAL DIVIDE OF THE SHEFFIELD FOOTBALL HOOLIGAN.A BIT BIASED TOWARDS THE BLADES BBC WHO IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES WERE A MORE ORGANIZED GROUP , BUT OVERALL THE WEDNESDAY FIRM HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE UPPER HAND"
Ha ha ha

Do you remember the original Earl Grey opposite the Devonshire ,we so nearly got killed there when a driver had a heart attack and crashed through the pub one night seconds after we walked past.
The pump was behind The Moor towards Arundel gate halfway up ,good pub actually. what was the Yorkshire Grey called when it went weird with the dancing girls ?
Bar Rio
It was run by two gay guys

I also remember having the occasional quick one in The Horn Blower. ......oo er!

Any old gits remember the Great Britain? Used to be on Hill St I think, like walking in to someone's front room.

My Saturday nights as a teenager in Sheffield normally consisted of the following.....off the Bus straight into the Old Queens Head, Mulberry Tavern, Crucible Bar, Y.Grey, Wap, Frog, then down to Rebels (occasionally having a swifty in the pub at the bottom of the road Rebels was on?)

Bitter Snakebites with Dry Cider were very much the order of the day.

Happy times.

The Nelson on Furnival Gate was one of my favoutite haunts and also the Penthouse (was bit of a rocker in them days). Have moved away from Sheffield now but always like to have a wander round when I come down on match days, and it's a bit sad to see all these places still there but boarded up now. The Brown Bear was the usual meeting place for us and it's good to see that's still there.

The Nelson on Furnival Gate was one of my favoutite haunts and also the Penthouse (was bit of a rocker in them days). Have moved away from Sheffield now but always like to have a wander round when I come down on match days, and it's a bit sad to see all these places still there but boarded up now. The Brown Bear was the usual meeting place for us and it's good to see that's still there.

The Brown Bear is in a listed building (along with most around Surrey Street) so as long as the punters keep going in, I think it will be there for ever thankfully. I always seem to overlook it to be honest, despite it being a splendid place.

One of the posters on there - Lawless Dan - now has the old Nelson and it's The Rocking Chair. Here's a pub crawl for oldies down Cambridge Street. Albert on the corner, quick piss round the back where there used to be 'Little Mesters' workshops, down past where Nameless restaurant was built, on to the Sportsman (now Tap & Tankard - I'm sure there was a second pub on that run?) and, before getting to where Henry's is (used to be an estate agents - ELR?), there was a big, old teddy-boy haunt - The Barleycorn.

The Penthouse was a right hole , but saw some great gigs there. Uk Subs had a virtual residency :) It was also called Rebels ,don't think a night ever went by without seeing a scrap ,and there were plenty of steps to get chucked down .

The Penthouse was a right hole , but saw some great gigs there. Uk Subs had a virtual residency :) It was also called Rebels ,don't think a night ever went by without seeing a scrap ,and there were plenty of steps to get chucked down .
once saw a bouncer chuck someone out and the guy went down the first flight of steps, then rolled on and down another flight, and the bouncer said "I put some side on him"!

One of the posters on there - Lawless Dan - now has the old Nelson and it's The Rocking Chair. Here's a pub crawl for oldies down Cambridge Street. Albert on the corner, quick piss round the back where there used to be 'Little Mesters' workshops, down past where Nameless restaurant was built, on to the Sportsman (now Tap & Tankard - I'm sure there was a second pub on that run?) and, before getting to where Henry's is (used to be an estate agents - ELR?), there was a big, old teddy-boy haunt - The Barleycorn.

Glad someone's taken it on, it was boarded up last time I looked. I remember most of those places on that crawl, especially the Albert and also the Yorkshireman just off Cambridge St

Glad someone's taken it on, it was boarded up last time I looked. I remember most of those places on that crawl, especially the Albert and also the Yorkshireman just off Cambridge St
The Yorkshireman was where we went pre rock night at Roxys (second Monday every month I think) where all the best looking women in the best outfits went. Great nights. Sunday night was always a my favourite night in town ,finishing off in Gossips (Uriah Heeps) for a late one where you had to have a complimentary bowl of Chilli at 10.30 to comply with the licensing laws.

Back
Top Bottom