Phipps

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To say that Jim Phipps is not a blade is ludicrous. You only have to read what he writes to realise that.

I have read many a story of Jim mixing with fans on away days and those that have met him have nothing but admiration for him.

I have never met him, but have had dealings with him when he was on the board. Top man in my eyes and hope to see him back with us some time in the future.

Well good for him.

His opinion sounds more like cute propaganda to me

But yours are biased as well. Understandably so.

We don’t know if it’s a single issue problem or anything. Most on here clearly want Wilder to stay, as l do. The insults might be better kept on ice until we have more info.

Yeah, well what does a bunch of Saudi Princes know about who's better or cheaper.

It's all well and good identifying some kid in the Belgian league who might be alright. But will he integrate into the squad, will he bond with the other players, will he understand his instructions. Why should Wilder have someone foisted on him he knows nowt about.

Sounds like the fantasy football Prince trying to play it in real life to me.
Wasn’t Van Winkle brought in for that? So you’re saying no one but Chris Wilder has any authority to judge the merit of a potential player? That’s fine, the trouble is the best managers in the world, ones with Champions League Winners medals, all have recruitment teams, advanced scouting networks and DoFs. We want to play with the big boys in the elite league, we can’t run the club like a cash-in-hand jack-of-all-trades sole trader.

What annoys me about that statement isn’t what he’s said or that he has an opinion but his timing of it. That reads like an official statement from the club (I know it isn’t) especially the last paragraph and to put that out there before any official announcement by the club on the issue is poor form. Keep stum until there’s been an announcement then say what you like.

That's not the point is it. Wilder had a healthy budget and then asked for more in January, turned down rightly IMO based on the season being a fucking wreck. The back end of the season v Leicester 2020 is when Wilder alarmed the board and lost some of the players.

Do you honestly think these are Wilders first choice signings because I don't

Club transfer policy seems to be to sign young players who Wilder and Knill might be able to develop into future Premier League players, because basically we don't want to pay wages for more proven talent. In the meantime while we are waiting for these players to develop, Wilder and Knill are expected to pull off another miracle with thus squad of lower league players.

Don't pin the blame for these signings on Wilder alone. His hands are tied by a limited transfer policy

To say that Jim Phipps is not a blade is ludicrous. You only have to read what he writes to realise that.

I have read many a story of Jim mixing with fans on away days and those that have met him have nothing but admiration for him.

I have never met him, but have had dealings with him when he was on the board. Top man in my eyes and hope to see him back with us some time in the future.

Know plenty of top men who follow the Blades. I’m sure he’s a nice chap. His spell as co-Chairman coincided with one of the worst spells in the club’s history.

Wasn’t Van Winkle brought in for that? So you’re saying no one but Chris Wilder has any authority to judge the merit of a potential player? That’s fine, the trouble is the best managers in the world, ones with Champions League Winners medals, all have recruitment teams, advanced scouting networks and DoFs. We want to play with the big boys in the elite league, we can’t run the club like a cash-in-hand jack-of-all-trades sole trader.
Funny, when did Alex Ferguson have a DoF.

Let the manager manage in the way he's comfortable. He knows more about football management than any of these board room clowns, van Winkely included

Wilder needs help by being allowed to sign Premiership players, not being told to sign players that have the potential and we hope might be developed into Premiership players.

If anyone ought to admit error It's the Prince. Why doesn't he come out and say he can't fund us properly at Premiership level. Why can't he admit that he can't actually afford it?
Why would the Prince lie by saying he can’t afford it?
Many believe that he is loaded. Buying other clubs and leaving us short is not the action of any owner I would want
Good luck Chris. You brought in millions more than you spent

Club transfer policy seems to be to sign young players who Wilder and Knill might be able to develop into future Premier League players, because basically we don't want to pay wages for more proven talent. In the meantime while we are waiting for these players to develop, Wilder and Knill are expected to pull off another miracle with thus squad of lower league players.

Don't pin the blame for these signings on Wilder alone. His hands are tied by a limited transfer policy

Abdullah said he gave Wilder what he wanted within the budget and even increased the budget.

What annoys me about that statement isn’t what he’s said or that he has an opinion but his timing of it. That reads like an official statement from the club (I know it isn’t) especially the last paragraph and to put that out there before any official announcement by the club on the issue is poor form. Keep stum until there’s been an announcement then say what you like.
This is the thing for me. It’s not the first time he’s done it either. I’d say it’s an orchestrated attempt by the owner and board to discredit Wilder before the official statement is released.

Know plenty of top men who follow the Blades. I’m sure he’s a nice chap. His spell as co-Chairman coincided with one of the worst spells in the club’s history.
That is very true Rodders. I'm not in disagreement with you regarding one of the worst periods for our club, but the blame can't be laid just at his feet. He might not have been a successful Co chairman in that regard, but that doesn't take anything away from my opinion of him.

Why on earth would someone like Wilder, LMA Manager of the Year when in the Championship and getting record breaking promotions from 4 different divisions accept changes from a bloke who lives abroad and has attended a handful of matches.

Because the "bloke" is the owner of the club.

A bloke who supported him with a fair transfer budget that has been squandered.

Bloke also flew over to reassure CW and praised him in the national media. Wilder responded by making subtle digs by bigging up other clubs expenditure, undermining those above (board) & beneath (players) him.

I have the utmost respect & admiration for Wilder but he shouldn't be above criticism for his shortcomings and petulant behaviour.

But yours are biased as well. Understandably so.

We don’t know if it’s a single issue problem or anything. Most on here clearly want Wilder to stay, as l do. The insults might be better kept on ice until we have more info.

In my opinion, it's sounded for years like the Prince wanted a Director of Football who's one of his associates. This all kicked off in League One.
He smells his chance here as we aren't doing so well.

My guess is that he wants a DOF who he's in control of as he wants to meddle a bit in team affairs.

This is the thing for me. It’s not the first time he’s done it either. I’d say it’s an orchestrated attempt by the owner and board to discredit Wilder before the official statement is released.
It’s not the first time either side have done it and it’s doing my nut in. As it looks like wilder will leave and obviously the prince stays then I’ll comment on this as it more pertinent for united moving forward. Having someone on social media who has gone to great lengths to prove his ITK status in the recent past get ahead of the news before the club has a chance to address it directly through official channels isn’t good. It disrespects the club as an institution and its ability to communicate properly with the fan base. If the owner wants to say something then say it through the official channels at his disposal not through a second party. If Jim wants to only post his own opinions about the club then he has to disavow his ITK airs and graces and stop using figures or in this case insider transfer knowledge he could only have acquired through insider contacts. Be a fan or be the owners friend you cannot present both faces on social media.

I agree, but I also think that means Wilder and Knill have to shoulder some responsibility for being a lot shrewder in the transfer market.

We know Wilder likes to buy British and we also know we can’t afford to compete for the best players in that particular market at this level. It seems what’s happened here is the Prince has invited a compromise and given Wilder every last opportunity to meet him in the middle and he’s decided not to.

The Prince has allowed Wilder to do this all his own way it would seem, despite what appear to be his reservations about our transfer business. If Wilder continues to be unmoved on his transfer strategy, despite clearly having not got value for money on his bigger signings, I think it’s understandable that at some point the Prince has to take a firmer line.

I have no doubt that Wilder’s first choice signings have gone elsewhere, in fact, we know they have. The truth is, we were never in the race, we were nowhere near due to wages. Chris Wilder has always said he would not put the club into financially difficulty and allow it to spend beyond his means. If he understands that then he should understand that he can’t demand an unlimited pot of money to shop in the most premium market in the world.

Because the "bloke" is the owner of the club.

A bloke who supported him with a fair transfer budget that has been squandered.

Bloke also flew over to reassure CW and praised him in the national media. Wilder responded by making subtle digs by bigging up other clubs expenditure, undermining those above (board) & beneath (players) him.

I have the utmost respect & admiration for Wilder but he shouldn't be above criticism for his shortcomings and petulant behaviour.

I'm sorry I'm sick to my back teeth this lame arse story that the Prince backed Wilder and be squandered it and it's all Wilders fault

1. It's the clubs money that Wilder earned from getting us promoted and keeping us in the Premier league, not the Princes
2. We aren't paying Premier League wages
3. This transfer policy of buying young unproven talent, seems to have been dictated to Wilder by the board.
4. The board agrees and signs off all signings
5. The Prince could have given Wilder 2 million to bring in loan signing untill the end of the season. Instead he bought a French club with the money.

If the Prince had really backed us we'd have signed the players the manager wanted. We didn't because the board wouldn't compete

We may never know the truth or all the details, but what JP put out there doesn't strike me as inconceivable. Feels like it has more than a ring of truth behind it.

As for timing, maybe poorly timed, maybe no thought went into the timing of it, or maybe it's a conscious effort to set some records straight or provide an alternate view to the emotive bandwagon.

Funny, when did Alex Ferguson have a DoF.

Let the manager manage in the way he's comfortable. He knows more about football management than any of these board room clowns, van Winkely included
Football management is one part of running a multi-million business enterprise. Does one person design the iPhone every year? How about Amazon, is it just Jeff Bezos picking orders and delivering them to your gaff? I think you’re in danger of oversimplifying exactly what it takes to scout, recruit, integrate, manage and maintain a premier league squad.

I agree, but I also think that means Wilder and Knill have to shoulder some responsibility for being a lot shrewder in the transfer market.

We know Wilder likes to buy British and we also know we can’t afford to compete for the best players in that particular market at this level. It seems what’s happened here is the Prince has invited a compromise and given Wilder every last opportunity to meet him in the middle and he’s decided not to.

The Prince has allowed Wilder to do this all his own way it would seem, despite what appear to be his reservations about our transfer business. If Wilder continues to be unmoved on his transfer strategy, despite clearly having not got value for money on his bigger signings, I think it’s understandable that at some point the Prince has to take a firmer line.

I have no doubt that Wilder’s first choice signings have gone elsewhere, in fact, we know they have. The truth is, we were never in the race, we were nowhere near due to wages. Chris Wilder has always said he would not put the club into financially difficulty and allow it to spend beyond his means. If he understands that then he should understand that he can’t demand an unlimited pot of money to shop in the most premium market in the world.
Some responsibility but not all.

The pool they are signing players from is very small and limited given policy dictated by the board

Back
Top Bottom