Phipps

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The qualities we need: Someone who favours attacking football, has a plan B, doesn’t continually select players who don’t give a toss, doesn’t say we can’t go to toe with everyone we play, accepts he may need help with recruitment. Wilder at his best was brilliant. The current Wilder is out of his depth and taking the piss.

Kin ell, the sharks are certainly out tonight. Jim Phipps presided over one of the bleakest periods in the Blades recent history. I obviously don't know how much direct decision making power he had, but let's just say that in his time as co-chairman we witnessed some real shocking managment appointments and dross players - spending quite a bob or two for that level too!

So to criticise Wilder is quite a cheek. Wilder took us from League 1 to higher mid table prem and made all the prawn sandwich brigade a fair few bucks in the process. Yes this season has been a huge disappointment, but real football supporters who are genuinly passionate about our city and our club know one of our own when we see him.

I am gutted. I was really looking forward to a promotion assault with Wilder in charge next season. Now all we have to look forward to is a period of instability and kneejerk management decision again. Fuckin great! 😞

I don't blame Chris one bit, and if I was him I'd take as much money out of the pot that he made as I possibly could.

Oh and Jim, if you read this, when the Prince has gone then no doubt you'll be gone. I would wager as much as you want that Chris Wilder will be coming back to the Lane time and time again , do you know why? Cos he's not a plastic supporter, he's one of our own.

Last edited:
Fairly decent take from my position. Wilder has performed magnificently for 4 years. Come on though, does he really seem like a bloke that will compromise? Admit error? Accept help? I’m not reading anything from JimPhipps here that doesn’t resemble the stench we’ve all whiffed this season.

The personal abuse point wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, more just in general given the cross section of social media i've seen before I pointed that out.

I'm merely pointing out the discussing of another forum members opinion, who I'm sure is experienced and willing enough to accept others differing opinions.
Happy for him to come on here and have a reasoned debate about Wilder v Abdullah. I’d respect it a lot more than one sided social media posts elsewhere.

Just because you might not agree with his comments doesn’t make them necessarily wrong. You need to read between the lines on both sides but is there anyone on here who thinks CW saying it’s my way or no way isn’t remotely possible?

there’s been a divergence of thoughts on how we progress, that much is obvious. Let’s see what happens. I’ve seen comments about what manager would accept anybody above him. The answer is no one apart from most of the most successful sides in football

For a man who says he doesn’t know he seems awfully clued up on events over the past year or so.

I respect Jim. But my experience of people in the upper management echelon, they always know more than they let on. When you are the likes of us, if you are lucky you get thrown a bone every now and again.

Fairly decent take from my position. Wilder has performed magnificently for 4 years. Come on though, does he really seem like a bloke that will compromise? Admit error? Accept help? I’m not reading anything from JimPhipps here that doesn’t resemble the stench we’ve all whiffed this season.

Wilder needs help by being allowed to sign Premiership players, not being told to sign players that have the potential and we hope might be developed into Premiership players.

If anyone ought to admit error It's the Prince. Why doesn't he come out and say he can't fund us properly at Premiership level. Why can't he admit that he can't actually afford it?

I respect Jim. But my experience of people in the upper management echelon, they always know more than they let on. When you are the likes of us, if you are lucky you get thrown a bone every now and again.

I don't have much respect for him I'm afraid. I can't think of much good he's done for the club and if you read any of his posts, they look like well crafted opinion pieces designed to make you think that the Prince is a great guy.

Just wish he'd keep his nose out. All he does is stir the pot

Wilder needs help by being allowed to sign Premiership players, not being told to sign players that have the potential and we hope might be developed into Premiership players.

If anyone ought to admit error It's the Prince. Why doesn't he come out and say he can't fund as properly at Premiership level. Why can't he admit that he can't actually afford it?
Sky sports has it completely opposite to that. Board trying to convince Wilder of better/cheaper alternatives and Wilder wouldn’t have it.

Happy for him to come on here and have a reasoned debate about Wilder v Abdullah. I’d respect it a lot more than one sided social media posts elsewhere.

That's my point, I'm not coming from a 'side' nor putting myself behind Jim's opinion by any stretch... I have my own, based on what I 'know' or feel... Just pointing out he's on here and it's merely his opinion which is open for debate and sensible criticism if you disagree.

Must be true then. Wilder has done a lot more for the club than Phipps ever will.

That's not the point is it. Wilder had a healthy budget and then asked for more in January, turned down rightly IMO based on the season being a fucking wreck. The back end of the season v Leicester 2020 is when Wilder alarmed the board and lost some of the players.

I don't have much respect for him I'm afraid. I can't think of much good he's done for the club and if you read any of his posts, they look like well crafted opinion pieces designed to make you think that the Prince is a great guy.

Fair enough, not saying I'm right it's just my take on it. Of course Jim is going to give The Princes side, just like I'd guess someone like Wit would maybe give Wilders side.

Meanwhile, the Crab pound would be placed somewhere between the two.

It's the way the world works. Like a break up or divorce, the two sides of the story are rarely the same.

That's not the point is it. Wilder had a healthy budget and then asked for more in January, turned down rightly IMO based on the season being a fucking wreck. The back end of the season v Leicester 2020 is when Wilder alarmed the board and lost some of the players.
I’m very much in the camp of ‘name me someone who’d do a better job for the money that we pay Wilder’.

He has a genuine affection for United. That might not suit, but he has. He’s as entitled to an opinion like the rest of us.

Sky sports has it completely opposite to that. Board trying to convince Wilder of better/cheaper alternatives and Wilder wouldn’t have it.

Yeah, well what does a bunch of Saudi Princes know about who's better or cheaper.

It's all well and good identifying some kid in the Belgian league who might be alright. But will he integrate into the squad, will he bond with the other players, will he understand his instructions. Why should Wilder have someone foisted on him he knows nowt about.

Sounds like the fantasy football Prince trying to play it in real life to me.

We didn’t need Brewster, we needed guile and craft in midfield. A good proportion of the board said it at the moment. Obviously, when we signed the lad we were all hoping for a big impact. Doesn’t change the fact that going into the season, we knew the squad was imbalanced and lacking creativity and cover in key areas.

Whatever you say about Jim, he probably has a closer insight to the Prince s thinking than we have if only through working for him. I think Chris leaving is crazy but I can see some of the stuff mentioned in the “pressers” and ultimately only going to be one winner. Chris is an employee of the club and the owner decides whether we agree with it or not ( I know I’m stating the bleeding obvious!). Chris was leveraging his fantastic and deserved support to try and get his own way but it hasnt worked for him, so he moves on. I think the club and us fans will regret it but it was always thus as we Blades always find a way to fuck it up, as our History shows!

Fair enough, not saying I'm right it's just my take on it. Of course Jim is going to give The Princes side, just like I'd guess someone like Wit would maybe give Wilders side.

Meanwhile, the Crab pound would be placed somewhere between the two.

It's the way the world works. Like a break up or divorce, the two sides of the story are rarely the same.

A fight between Wit and Phipps would be interesting.

I suspect Wit would win easily, but it would be entertaining

Back
Top Bottom