Your SF experience?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was he listening to Kraftwerk ?

He might well have been. I hope he didn't end up facing the wrong way, having crossed the hard shoulder and jumped a crash barrier coming to rest against a motorway gantry like the car I saw near Barnsley on the way down to Sheffield in the morning! LS16Blade might have seen it

Would like to know about the Blades who went, was the day a good one? (Apart from result)

Ours wasn't the best..
. Left Woodseats at 10.15am due to driver.
. Caught in traffic at Chesterfield bypass for 1 hour.
. In more traffic around Milton Keynes.
Arrived in London at 2.45 (4 and half hours later).
. Got off around the pubs where Man City fans were drinking (dont ask) so obviously it was all packed and we was getting funny looks.
. Finally got our first pints in Wembley stadium at 3.15pm so on the end it wasn't too bad.
. Got on the coach at 7pm after game and was home for 12.30am due to getting out of the coach park etc.

I love london...... 🤣🤣🤣😴😴😴

Had a few showers today but nothing is shifting this smell of horse shite off my hands.

Mine was similar. A 17 hour day for a 2 hour match ???

More questions than answers being perfectly honest !!

UTB

Mine was a 17 hourer too.

Well worth it, belting our songs out in the national stadium.

We had to play a different way really, the way that teams usually play against us.

Just wish we'd got one goal to take home with us, ideally from Billy, that would have been great.

He might well have been. I hope he didn't end up facing the wrong way, having crossed the hard shoulder and jumped a crash barrier coming to rest against a motorway gantry like the car I saw near Barnsley on the way down to Sheffield in the morning! LS16Blade might have seen it
I did see that car, Grey Blade. Literally could not fathom how that car could possibly have ended up where it was.

I was sound checking with a band above the Banner from 4 so I watched the people in the garden out of the window and the score on my phone. Planning to watch the full replay later.
Banner X pub. If so you'll know my lad and probably me

Left at 8.15am and parked the car at Stanmore at 10.45am. Caught the tube to Kingsbury and had breakfast and a pint in JJ Moons. Caught tube to Wembley and had a couple in the fanzone. After match caught tube to Stanmore and arrived home at 11pm.

Just en route back to Toronto after one of my shortest trips over yet - last flight out of Toronto into London on Thursday night, last flight back out of Heathrow today. I’m fortunate that I’m in a position to be able to be that extravagant (or stupid…🤔😊) and was disappointed that we didn't sell a few more seats but totally understand that for many people with the cost of living situation it was just too expensive a day out. We don't help ourselves though in how we stagger ticket sales for events like this when it was likely we would not come close to selling out and yet they still insisted on a purchase history and then panicked when it was too late by suddenly offering 5 tix per ST holder. The ticket office just seemed to be so much better organized when it was run by Emma Wylie although I do realize that it’s the powers that be that set the rules.

As for the day, I had little expectations apart from a cracking day out with a mate of over 60 years (who also has a ST despite having emigrated to Sydney - no, he didn’t fly in as well - he spends part of the year here to catch the end and start of each season) and fellow Blades.

Stayed just off Ken High St, had a full English at the hotel to line my stomach and, from comments on here about London pubs, decided around Baker St might be a better option than The Green Man which has never been a good omen on previous visits (as well as we’ve never failed to see pissed up Blade on Blade scrapping before the game…). The Globe right next to the station seemed a popular choice but figured we would meet at The Allsop a few streets away on Gloucester Place.

Got there just after 1pm and happy to see Blades flags from a distance and already full of Blades inside and out without a City fan in site. Meanwhile, my mate (Syd the Blade) is texting me saying that he’s going to be a bit late as he’s not yet on the tube from Edgware (no, not Edgware Rd tube but Edgware) as….. he had to go back to his AirBnB as he forget his credit card. Not his first incident….😊.

So, supping away, the singings started, everybody in a good mood (even the coppers sprinkled around were very laid back having a laugh and a joke - totally different to SYPD…) and, at around 2pm, a coach pulls up outside the pub and off walk…… the PLAYERS, coaches, Hecky, everybody (video to follow) Couldn’t believe it - they do a few high fives, and head off around the corner for a pre-game stroll followed by the bus which I assume was picking them up later. At this point the singing volume goes up a few decibels. Mebbe they walked past the Globe as well? Anyway, by complete chance, I’d managed to pick the pub where the players show up! (turns out they were staying at The Landmark just around the corner - spectacular hotel, usually about 500quid/night - obviously Bettis’s budget controls had been relaxed for the day 😊).

Syd still hasn’t shown and at around 2.15 a big black Range Rover pulls up, winds the window down and who’s inside but….. effin’ Dozy giving us his big smile and the thumbs up - didn't come in cos mebbe he thinks they only sell Guinness in Sheffield… 🤣?). Some (including myself) actually thought it was Didsy initially from a distance (injured and came to support us 🤔? but, of course, he seems to be past his injury issues of last season with us and is scoring goals for fun for Derby instead, including yesterday - still think he should have been given another year).

Syd finally shows (he’s already missed a lot…), we contemplate getting on the tube to try the BoxPark thing (last time I did that was with another mate of many years (Keen Blade) when we were out in Portugal against Seville pre-Prem and it got invaded by a coach load of bottle wielding Seville fans) but decide it’s too much fun where we are (and who knows who’s going to show up next… mebbe Syd will get to see somebody…😊 ) and have another pint at The Allsop.

Finally leave around 3, walk past the Globe (also full of Blades and flags, no City), hop on the Jubilee line to Wembley Park which is a good crack with both Blades and City, decide to miss the BoxPark, walk up Wembley Way looking for somewhere for a much needed slash - impossible - sandwich at Starbucks to avoid the concession rip off at Wembley did not include toilet privileges as they were “closed”.

No long lines to get in and I go first, get inside turn around looking for Syd. Nowhere to be seen. Receive panic text saying he can’t get in as ticket won’t scan. Turns out (as he got both our tix rather than me getting up at 4am on first day of sales) he has only brought the spare printout of…. my ticket which…. has already been scanned cos… I have already used it 😊. So that’s not good (cos Edgware is a long way back to get the correct ticket with his name on it…). And this is where Wembley starts to compete (fortunately for Syd) with our own SU ticket office for ineptitude as, after he shows them the confirmation e-mail for the 2 seats, they re-issue him with MY ticket (not the ticket for his seat that is in Edgware) which… then scans OK so he can finally get in. Go figure 😳 (but Syd is very relieved).

Inside, we have a wander, take in the atmosphere and then try (failed) to get the “Tony, Tony Currie” (yes, our era - that team photo with Eddie and the team of 1970 is still proudly hung in my sports room wall) chant going when he takes the mike. The rest has been well reported but I would agree that, where we were in block 137, it was pretty much non stop singing and made for a great atmosphere. Pity we couldn’t celebrate a goal at least but was proud of the way the crowd increased the noise after each goal and the fact that the players kept going, chasing City down right to the end. A real shame that nothing really came off for Ndaiye (his personal frustration was evident at the end) who, without Macca, was our only realistic hope of pulling off any sort of shock but hopefully he will take it out on West Brom on Wednesday.

Long, but organized, hold up system on W-Way for the tube back to the centre with Blades still in good voice (City not) and the coppers still in a good mood. What will it be like if we ever achieve anything at Wembley 🤔?

We would have finished off the day in Covent Garden had we pulled off the 16/1 shot but went to The Champion close to Notting Hill Gate instead (a favourite pub with half decent ale), back to the hotel tired but proud only to watch Lineker barely mention our name on MotD as they salivated over City’s treble possibility. Nowt changes on BBC.

Wandered around Embankment past the London Marathon today (Syd on time for meet up without incident…), lunch at The Salisbury in Covent Garden and currently en route back to Toronto with 7 hours to kill (hence the Deadbatesque post 😊) where it will be back to watching us (Securely 😉), and hopefully, get the job done on Wednesday.

‘til the next time.

UTB ⚔️

Attachments

• IMG_3148.MOV
    60 MB
I stayed Friday and Saturday night with family in Coulsdon (near Croydon) that I hadn't seen for two decades and it was a very emotional and happy reunion especially since my 82 year old cousin was recovering from having a 6.5 cm tumour removed from his brain. He'd been released from hospital after a 6 week stay, due to getting a post-op infection, on the Friday so saw him each day. You wouldn't have known what he been through as he was doing really well. One particular highlight was seeing his daughter's MBE, awarded in December in the Queen's last honours list for services to aviation, which was presented to her by Prince William. Went to The North London Tavern to meet some good Blades buddies. Delighted with our performance, apart from the mistakes that led to a couple of the goals, but, it's the BladesWay, and Wednesday night is more important for us now we are out.
But for the love of God, please let me see 1 victory or a Cup Final at Wembley before I die!

Some information on the MBE awarded for anybody who might be interested especially if they served in the RAF

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Salter

Set off at 7.30 to get a "fast boat" to Gilli Air.Arrive at harbour to chaos. Finally get on fast boat but no Captain or fuel. Two and half hours later we set off on slowest fast boat ever. Finally get to hotel, chosen because of super fast Internet and cool off for a while. Go for dinner and a beer back to hotel for a snooze. Wake up at 11pm and try to buy a matchpass. Only monthly pass on offer so spend 25 quid on one of those.
Finally dawns on me its not going to be on so settle for radio. Someone on shoutbox informs me its on itv. Try that only to find it is not available in Indonesia. Remembered the vpn route so spend $80 for 15 months, but able to cancel before 30 days to get my money back.
Fuck knows after how long trying to get it to work I finally get the game on. Twenty seconds later Lowe gives the ball away and City score. Call Lowe a fuckin wanker, turn phone off and go to sleep.
Up the Blades.

Apart from the result, I enjoyed the day.
After too much of a big Friday night in town, and 2 ours sleep, I set off from Stannington to Bents Green, as luckily for me, my brother was driving us both down from there.
We parked up at the end of the Metropolitan Tube Line, along with a few other Blades, a little later than we'd hoped, mainly due to some bizarre traffic cone layout, and even more bizarre driver behaviour, at the end of the A617 from Chesterfield to junction 29. (Why the bods in charge of roadworks signage don't set out signs at every 2 into 1 situation that suggest to alternate cars from both lanes is beyond me (although regardless of this, why the great British driving public can't realise the benefit of this themselves is astounding!)
Anyway, we got into the Fan Park, just in time for double up, before they called last orders.
A doubling-up repeat once we'd entered the stadium, heading for Block 139, was to easy to turn down.
We sang from start to finish and, although naturally still gutted, thought we accredited ourselves well enough.
Unfortunately, after receiving a text at half time from my brother-in-law in Melbourne, Vic. Australia, stating simply that, "still in 2nd gear" The double, doubling up of Camden Pale was evidently an influence in my response to the smug bastard. "Dick", was the response, and something about appreciating the patronising comment.
Let myself down there, I realise that now, but at the time, I just thought, what A Smug git.
Anyway, need to go for a we and bed. Will carry on the day tomorrow. Or, once I'm sober and seen sense, maybe I wont.
Love the Blades.

6 of us set off in 2 cars at 9am, steady drive down to Croxley where we'd booked to stay on Saturday. Got there at 11.45am.

Stayed in Croxley before the game - decent Greene King pub that was quiet but had a few Blades and City fans in (we had a 4 year old and an 85 year old with us so what we needed!), then headed to Wembley about 2.45pm. Little one absolutely loved seeing Wembley Way from the station and then the walk up it.

We were in Block 134 on row 3 - she got her photo with Captain Blade which she loved and joined in with a few songs which was great! Stood up for the entire game which was a pleasant surprise, atmosphere was OK for Wembley but it doesn't seem to travel well there.

Got out OK and back to the hotel at Croxley for 8pm so the little one could get some rest!

Sunday, had breakfast in the hotel, the 3 in the other car drove home - me, my wife and our daughter got ready to go into London. We'd booked tickets for Frozen the Musical months ago for her 4th birthday (imagine my relief when the Man City match was confirmed as Saturday!). Headed into London and watched some of the marathon - saw the leaders and Mo Farah run past us which was fun.

Watched Frozen at Theatre Royal Drury Lane, little one absolutely loved it and if I'm honest I did too. It was brilliant. Got back at 9pm yesterday as the M1 was horrendous coming back.

All in all - incredible weekend, different type of Wembley trip with a young child in tow and a mixed bag of events to attend. So many memories as a family :)

We left at 10.
Great drive down. Bit of traffic at j14.
Parked up at stanmore
Straight on tube.
No beer as we had kids.
Walked down a pretty empty Wembley way at around 2 ish.
Lap of stadium...load of photos with kids.
Into ground at 2.45. Quiet pint on empty concourse.
Videos of ground.
Took seats as crowd grew.
Magnificent day.
Pissed up young lads behind us were brilliant.
Kids loved it. Atmosphere was bouncing most of match where we were. Block 136 row 41.
Going to big games sober is new for me but saw a totally different day. Loved every minute of it.
This video made it all worth while
Can't have been too far away from us - Block 136 row 42. Can't claim to be one of the young lads though although my son is :)

Flew down to London on Thursday afternoon.
Friday was a day spent in the apartment on Cadogan Square.
Saturday was early morning at the tailor, you may know it, Oliver Brown?
Then driven to the match as I don't in London anymore.
It really is a grand view from the Royal Box area where we could all hear the United end far louder than those from Manchester.
Shame about the result, but that's football.
Watched the match from the 60th minute in the car back to Cadogan on the plasma in the Bentley.
In bed by 19.00 as I was absolutely shattered from the day's exertions.
Blimey, identical to my experience only when I went to bed at 7pm, Linda Evangelista and Zara Tindall were waiting for me and already warmed up.........

Which was nice.

I stayed Friday and Saturday night with family in Coulsdon (near Croydon) that I hadn't seen for two decades and it was a very emotional and happy reunion especially since my 82 year old cousin was recovering from having a 6.5 cm tumour removed from his brain. He'd been released from hospital after a 6 week stay, due to getting a post-op infection, on the Friday so saw him each day. You wouldn't have known what he been through as he was doing really well. One particular highlight was seeing his daughter's MBE, awarded in December in the Queen's last honours list for services to aviation, which was presented to her by Prince William. Went to The North London Tavern to meet some good Blades buddies. Delighted with our performance, apart from the mistakes that led to a couple of the goals, but, it's the BladesWay, and Wednesday night is more important for us now we are out.
But for the love of God, please let me see 1 victory or a Cup Final at Wembley before I die!

Some information on the MBE awarded for anybody who might be interested especially if they served in the RAF

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Salter

Oddly I was reading about Jo Salter the other day, there's a fairly famous (in aviation terms) picture of her and Barbara Harmer, the first, and 1 of only 2 female Concorde pilots. Barbara passed away some time ago, but she was very much admired where I work.

Just a few shout out to non Blades
Lots of Good luck from Barnsley, Huddersfield and Chesterfield fans at Leeds Station
More Good lucks from random people at Peterborough when we stopped for breakfast.
Shout out to police outside the Globe, who were very chilled, including SYP who were there as spotters and turned a blind eye when I walked round the corner to Starbucks to have a chat with Mrs Norks, who'd met non Blades family there, with a pint in my hand.
On the tube from there to Wembley Park, Mrs Norks distanced herself from her rowdy husband, 2 daughters and grandson and sat between 2 Americans taking in their first soccer match who were extremely amused by our behaviour and as she said 'A lovely young Fulham fan' called Callum who had just come from their game and been phoned by a Blades mate with a spare Wembley ticket and was on his way to meet them.
The Man City fan on the tube who we chatted to back to Kings Cross. Nice fella.
Then the Blades round us. Why do you have to get so bloody angry? Only half a dozen, but unfortunately, that's what you remember. Arguments about people standing up, screaming abuse at our players, who by the way would never have heard as we were up in the gods. Screaming abuse at each other. I just don't get it.
We all agreed, the day was about a 6/10. Awful journey home, should have got better seats, should have stayed over. All noted for next time, if I can be bothered, just getting too old.
Oh and our team 10/10 for getting to the semi finals and not embarrassing themselves against a class Man City side.

Picked my lad up from Sheff Station at 0930 (he travelled from Liverpool)
Decided to go via Meadowhead / Chesterfield bypass to fill up my oldest lad's car.
Waved at the folk waiting in Woodseats as we went past (none responded despite the scarves out of the windows)
Got a great reaction from the Blades waiting for the bus outside the Double Tree on Chesterfield Road South.
My son "lives on" Google routing so we turned off the Chesterfield Bypass and missed the traffic and had no issues all the way down to the hotel at Beaconsfield.
Met some Man City fans there who were decent and stated that if Haaland wasn't playing my fear of double figure loss would be unfounded.
Got over to Wembley at 2.30 and there was plenty of Blades around and no chance of an alcoholic beverage with the queues at all the pubs, so made do with a coffee.
Waited for the rest of our party who arrived on a bus and then went in around three.
Great atmosphere on the concourse we had a few wines and then enjoyed the atmosphere of the match from our loud fans.
Met a mate of mine at half time had a chat about the day's events and quickly drank another wine before taking our seats again.
Was proud to clap the team at the end, for getting to Wembley and the brink of promotion.
Went to the Black Sheep coffee and cocktails bar next to the station shared a bottle of wine with my missus the lads had cider.
When the queues for the train went down we joined it, Dave and Christine Bassett were just behind us in the queue so had as long a chat with "Harry" as I could without my missus telling me to leave him alone both Dave and Christine were willing to chat and pass on their thoughts. Made my year.
Got back to Beaconsfield - nothing much open - so had a Turkish meal with more wine and back to the hotel.
Found sleep difficult due to the amount of wine.
Hopefully same again next season only win this time.

Would like to know about the Blades who went, was the day a good one? (Apart from result)

Ours wasn't the best..
. Left Woodseats at 10.15am due to driver.
. Caught in traffic at Chesterfield bypass for 1 hour.
. In more traffic around Milton Keynes.
Arrived in London at 2.45 (4 and half hours later).
. Got off around the pubs where Man City fans were drinking (dont ask) so obviously it was all packed and we was getting funny looks.
. Finally got our first pints in Wembley stadium at 3.15pm so on the end it wasn't too bad.
. Got on the coach at 7pm after game and was home for 12.30am due to getting out of the coach park etc.

I love london...... 🤣🤣🤣😴😴😴
Set off from Greenhill at 7:30 AM
Stopped at a services and had a Maccies brekky
Arrived in Acton 10:20am (south of wembley and the hotel was cheapish and close)
Checked in hotel 10:30am
Acton wetherspoons at 10:45am
Pint of hops Micropub in Acton at 12:20
Went to tube station at Acton at 15:00, NO BASTARD TRAINS.
Bus replacement to Alperton. (Took about 20 mins)
Ended up in some foodhall/bar in alperton. Was ace, all indian/bangladeshi food stalls and had a biryani and pint. Sound.
Walked to Wembley via the off licence.
Watched match (robbed)
Same route back.
Piece of piss.

Total cost for both -£393 (estimates may be slightly out)

Petrol - £40
Hotel £200
Tickets £53 (£31 for me £21 for the old man + booking fee)
Transport in London - Free as bus replacement.
Pints - About 60 quid (Jaipur in spoons was £2.57)
Food - About 40 quid

Some great stories 👍 anyone go in the crystal bar next to ground? Went after game and it was decent despite 4 cans of SM £20.

Set off at 10 from Sandygate Towers. Joined M1 at Barlborough to miss the roadworks. Arrived at Wembley around 2.30. Parked on a woman's drive I've used before about a mile from the ground. Walked to ground past the Green Man. Grabbed a bite to eat in the Design Outlet and then did a circuit around the stadium. Decided to go in the stadium and queued for 30 minutes to get a drink. Good atmosphere in Block 541 except for a few older knobheads trying to pick fights with other Blades.

Thought we were holding our own till the penalty. Got to admire intensity of City as never gave us anytime on the ball. Fair result in the end.

Clapped the lads off then walk back to the car. Sat Nav took us through Barnet on way back. Never a good drive home from Wembley. Dropped mates off and was home before 11.

On to the more important game on Wednesday night where hopefully we can finish the job off and can stop worrying about endless different scenarios of where we don't go up.
Just to clarify it's the drive you'd used before, not the woman? 😁

Go a train direct to Wembley Stadium Station at 1.43, good chat with blades, no seats. Arrived about an hour later, no bogs so went in early. Stretched out a cup of coke for 4quid. I helped a pissed blade looking for row 17, I was temp sat on row 23. I told him he'd gone past it. He was "oh no the walk of shame". I said no mate shake my hand and it will look like you came up to see a mate.
Great view from from the back row. Enjoyed the game though that we did well first half. Second half was what I expected for 99 mins. Chat with city and blades queuing for the train and on the train. All good natured. DroitwichBlade if that was you I was chatting to on the train back was great to meet you.
Loved it.
I am sorry that others had a shit time but for some one like me with little disposable income and living where I do a £30 ticket, £28 train £4 drink it was ace. Usually for me it has been pay on the day Northampton, Oxford, Cov MK Don's Swindon and Reading.

Oh and realistically saying thanks to Billy, Bash, Fleck at Wembley was great.

Some great stories 👍 anyone go in the crystal bar next to ground? Went after game and it was decent despite 4 cans of SM £20.
Went in there pre game. Was more wedding venue than pub but was sound. As we were walking past wondering where to go some extremely friendly coppers showed us in. No charge and a fiver for a pint can of Stella and 2 quid for a pint of coke. Didn't see any bother but there were a few extremely pissed up people I would imagine never made the game

There were one or two arseholes in our section and a fight broke out in injury time, winning me a bet as I predicted the chief arsehole 2 rows in front would start a fight. He had a young lad with him and should be ashamed of himself.
Yes he was in our block and attacked someone causing them to fall into me and me into my mother who fell over. I was considering bringing my young daughter to her first game, so I’m so glad I didn’t bother. Arseholes

Back
Top Bottom