Your first Blades FA Cup tie you went to & your most memorable one

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

John Street West Terrace

Reaction score
As it’s FA Cup weekend this discussion came up in the pub last night

My first wasn’t exactly a good memory .. we lost at home to Arsenal 5-0 in the third round of the 77/78 season , think Cec Coldwell ( top bloke ) had been caretaker manager and we’d been on a decent run but came to a juddering halt that day , seem to recall we had another couple of heavy defeats after in league too

As for good memories I think I’ve been blessed as a Blade with quite a few successful cup runs in my time supporting the lads . Victories over Leeds ( twice that season inc league cup ) , Man Utd , Blackburn & Coventry , Aston Villa , QPR & the Hull SF .. but the one for me that ultimately ended up in a narrow defeat was the 1-0 loss to Arsenal at Old Trafford. For once as a team at the time we actually turned up for a big event and gave the best team in the country a hell of a game and except for one famous save who knows what could have been the outcome

UTB

As it’s FA Cup weekend this discussion came up in the pub last night

My first wasn’t exactly a good memory .. we lost at home to Arsenal 5-0 in the third round of the 77/78 season , think Cec Coldwell ( top bloke ) had been caretaker manager and we’d been on a decent run but came to a juddering halt that day , seem to recall we had another couple of heavy defeats after in league too

As for good memories I think I’ve been blessed as a Blade with quite a few successful cup runs in my time supporting the lads . Victories over Leeds ( twice that season inc league cup ) , Man Utd , Blackburn & Coventry , Aston Villa , QPR & the Hull SF .. but the one for me that ultimately ended up in a narrow defeat was the 1-0 loss to Arsenal at Old Trafford. For once as a team at the time we actually turned up for a big event and gave the best team in the country a hell of a game and except for one famous save who knows what could have been the outcome

UTB
Think that was my first FA Cup game too - sat in the upper tier watching Malcolm McDonald tear us a new arsehole. Just after that, i went to the 3-2 Sunderland victory where Anderson (?) scored for us - didn't it come 2nd in goal of the season?

FA Cup, Aldershot at home, Tuesday night Jan 197? 0 - 0 draw

Rubbish game.

Got a lift of a mate who lived in Hunslet (Leeds) but unfortunately his car broke down on the way home just past Hillsborough on Penistone Road.

Started snowing at about the same time.

Waited ages for an AA man who towed us to the M1 and then abandoned us as he couldn't tow the car on the motorway with passengers in it.

Waited ages more for a recovery truck with accommodation for all the occupants of the car.

Snow continued to fall incessantly.

Eventually car was towed back to mates house in Hunslet, but that's where the breakdown service ended.

By now it was 1am and the snow was about a foot deep as I set off to walk to my flat in Farnely.

2hrs and 5 miles walking later I finally arrived home.

Can't believe I ever went to the Lane again ;)
Probably my most memorable F.A Cup tie.

An experience never to be repeated and probably only surpassed if we win the bloody thing.

No idea what my first F.A Cup tie was.

v Watford away 1967 ? we won 1-0 Mick Hill scored this was also my first away game
Most memorable the semis v Arsenal and Hull

3rd round v Everton 1970. We 2nd division, Everton 1st division and went on to be league champions. We won 2-1, great game, my only time standing on John St terrace and on Yorkshire tv. Also went to 4th round game at Derby, my first away game. Lost 3-0.
My first cup game too. My dislike of Derby County began on the day of the fourth round. Didn’t see them reach round five until that 3-2 loss at Norwich but there have been some good memories since.

First was Arsenal away when we drew 1-1, Dane Whitehouse with the equaliser. I was sat in the home end with my dad and brother, and my dad jumped up and shouted when we scored. The Arsenal fans were decent about it though!

The most memorable has to be the Hull semi final.

My first cup game too. My dislike of Derby County began on the day of the fourth round. Didn’t see them reach round five until that 3-2 loss at Norwich but there have been some good memories since.
I think Everton were reigning champions at the time so it was a massive win.

Only vague memories of my first. I think it was a first round match at home to either aldershot or Stockport late seventies?

Most memorable Blackburn away in the quarters cus spotted myself on match of the day 😀

I'll have to think about my first, would be in the 70's, but in recent years, beating Man City with balloons and beating Villa at Villa Park were great days out (when we beat Villa, the Pigs drew with the mighty Macclesfield)

My first was a first round tie against burscough FC. 3-0 I think. I'm sure mcphail scored.

Most memorable was probably Hull City at Wembley. That was a great run and their was a period in that match when I thought we were going to get to the final

My first FA Cup game, and indeed my first ever Blades games, was a replay against Charlton in 1992. So that ticks both boxes.

3rd round v Everton 1970. We 2nd division, Everton 1st division and went on to be league champions. We won 2-1, great game, my only time standing on John St terrace and on Yorkshire tv. Also went to 4th round game at Derby, my first away game. Lost 3-0.
Bert at both games. Derby trounced us and it was a very rough do on the side terrace under the stand.

Maidstone at home in the late eighties. I think Mark Dempsey scored a thunderbolt. Most memorable incident was a very tired and emotional Everton fan outside the ground. I kindly explained to him that his team were playing at Hillsborough.

Cardiff 1971 I think. I also think we lost 3-0 or 3-1.

Same as mine. Think it was 3-1 at home. Missed a kids Xmas party for it which didn’t go down well with my piggy grandad at his w m club !! Remember John Flynn playing and possibly scoring ??

Edit ... just seen scorer!

Home to Villa in Kyle Walker's first game at BL as an opposition player. Inevitably scored the opening goal against us.

First for me was Burnley in 1993 – the late comeback to draw 2-2. The game had everything: a long-ranger from popular ex-Blade Adrian Heath, a nightmare error by Alan Kelly, a super strike from Hodges, two Adrians red-carded for fighting (Littlejohn, and unpopular ex-Blade villain Heath), and a late Beesley equaliser

Most memorable – sadly probably the 1st Arsenal away game in 1999.

Portsmouth away in January 1971. Went on the train special direct from Sheffield to Fratton. Before the match my dad pointed out Mike Trebilcock to me and explained that he scored twice for Everton in their 3-2 win against Wendy in the 1966 FA Cup final which meant that he is a "hero" to Blades fans. Mike scored Portsmouth's 2nd goal in our 2-0 defeat. I was in tears after the match and my dad tried to explain to me that promotion to the 1st division was more important than a good cup run and he thought that being knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round would increase our promotion chances. He was right. On arriving back in Midland station, news filtered out that 66 fans had died in the Rangers v Celtic match.

Back
Top Bottom