Writing off Assets/Contract Dilemmas

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
After last night and last few games it is clear Slav has no faith in Brewster/McBurnie/Burke, it's also clear Mousset has serious fitness issues which is the biggest frustration as he looks the best of the bunch on his day.

What on earth are we going to do with these players if they are going to get very limited game time this season? Brewster has a lot more time, he is contracted to us until June 2025 so there is time to sort him out, what on earth do we do with the other 3. Do we need to seriously consider loaning McBurnie or Burke out to either recover some of their value so we can sell on, or are we just going to lose them at end of next season on a free.

Here is where I think we are heading:

• Mousset - cost approx. £10m, contract due to end at end of this season - I would expect if he continues to have fitness problems we will just lose him end of the season, won't offer him a new contract.
  • McBurnie - cost approx. £17m. Contract due to end at end of next season - feel like we will need to keep him as a squad player but he will continue to be a bit part player. We'll offer him a contract for him to stay on reduced wages, he'll look elsewhere for a new club and leave for free.
  • Burke - cost £5/6m we think based on what we paid roughly for Callum Robinson. Contract due to end at end of next season. Hopefully we will loan him out in January, we might recover £1m-2m for him next summer if he does ok for another championship side.
What does everyone else think?

We'll lose them all for < £1m. And I'd take that now to get them (and Brewster and Berge) off the wage bill. None of 'em first choice on the team sheet ('cos they're shite), so 5 of 'em contribute nowt. And probably cost around £180k a week in wages for them all..
Don't know how we'll get rid , but maybe some league 1 or league 2 clubs may have them if we pay 1/3 wages.

Mr Birchenall how often do you go to games, I go to all games and Berge is way more talented than anyone else in our team, his c one back in the friendly at Doncaster he was unplayable, however an injury and Covid put him on the side lines, he is the most respected and talented player in the Norway squad, but if Slavisa doesn't want him then he will be sold I assume in January and we will get a big fee for him, even though we may lose out on what we paid.
As for McBurnie and Burke we need to offload for as much as possible, along with Fleck, Norwood, and McGoldrick, this will clear the Wilderbeasts out.
I would still work with Brewster.
We'll lose them all for < £1m. And I'd take that now to get them (and Brewster and Berge) off the wage bill. None of 'em first choice on the team sheet ('cos they're shite), so 5 of 'em contribute nowt. And probably cost around £180k a week in wages for them all..
Don't know how we'll get rid , but maybe some league 1 or league 2 clubs may have them if we pay 1/3 wages.

Have you run out of diesel or summat

Wowsers

Slav is between a rock and a hard place with these expensive players. If they had cost lower fees theyd have been shipped out by now. Maybe he will give them a run in between now and January and theyll deliver (hope they can, slagged them plenty but going to try and stop) but if not then rip it up and start again. Millions down the drain but cut prices are better than letting them go for nowt.

I would try and off load MCB in Jan. Hopefully someone will take him on loan and pay his wages. Allowing us to bring in maybe one or two mids using his freed up wages. Same with Burke. Brewster. He needs some game time. These bit part cameos are doing no one any favours. Maybe give him a try on the left? Unless he turns things around his value is going to be rock bottom and he will struggle to get a move elsewhere on current form. Maybe someone will take a punt on him from a lower PL team but we will lose a lot of money either way.

The only one where there’s a pressing need (in the next 12 months) to either double down or cut ties is mcburnie due to his contract situation

Mr Birchenall how often do you go to games, I go to all games and Berge is way more talented than anyone else in our team, his c one back in the friendly at Doncaster he was unplayable, however an injury and Covid put him on the side lines, he is the most respected and talented player in the Norway squad,

I go to nearly every game, and I dispute this. On his day he's 8/10 in the championship. But his day isn't very often - certainly not in English football.

For perspective - Norrington Davies looks a bit short of the required quality for the championship right now, but he's a respected member of Wales' squad.

Wales are ranked 17th in the World. Norway are ranked 44th.

Mr Birchenall how often do you go to games, I go to all games and Berge is way more talented than anyone else in our team, his c one back in the friendly at Doncaster he was unplayable, however an injury and Covid put him on the side lines, he is the most respected and talented player in the Norway squad, but if Slavisa doesn't want him then he will be sold I assume in January and we will get a big fee for him, even though we may lose out on what we paid.
As for McBurnie and Burke we need to offload for as much as possible, along with Fleck, Norwood, and McGoldrick, this will clear the Wilderbeasts out.
I like Berge and think he's a decent player, he may well be a very respected player in the Norway squad but he's definitely not the most talented. There's this other Norwegian guy who plays in Germany who is an absolute goals machine, who just about every top team in Europe would like to get their hands on, who is more talented.

Well Bob, I go to all home games and about a third of away games (didn't go last night) and have done since the 1960s, so Bladey Bladeing it with me won't necessarily cut it. My point with Berge is that we are constantly waiting for 'what we know' will be a terrific player that we'll sell on for £60m or summat. Didn't get any offers in the summer did we? Of either £60m or just plain £60. And a friendly against Donny's 18 year old trialists doesn't mean much to me (didn't see it - note Donny's current league position using the 1st team, never mind the trialists). I don't see much in him to be honest. We had a young midfield player back in the day (1970s) called Phil Jones (not the Man U version), who was 6ft 5ins, and looked 'classy' as he patrolled the touchline for 5 yds either side of the halfway line. He'd take the ball from a pass, turn look around and then pass a pointless square, before switching off until someone woke him up again 5 mins. later. Was gonna be the next Tony Currie apparently. And ended up playing a season, then fucking off to non-league football. When I watch Berge, I just see his double. Not that I think Berge will end up in non-league footy. I think he'll end up in the lower reaches of the Belgian, Danish or Swedish first division in the next couple of years in front of 3,000 people and his supporters will claim we lost a gem to the continent 'cos he'll still be getting a game with hopeless Norway........

After last night and last few games it is clear Slav has no faith in Brewster/McBurnie/Burke, it's also clear Mousset has serious fitness issues which is the biggest frustration as he looks the best of the bunch on his day.

What on earth are we going to do with these players if they are going to get very limited game time this season? Brewster has a lot more time, he is contracted to us until June 2025 so there is time to sort him out, what on earth do we do with the other 3. Do we need to seriously consider loaning McBurnie or Burke out to either recover some of their value so we can sell on, or are we just going to lose them at end of next season on a free.

Here is where I think we are heading:

• Mousset - cost approx. £10m, contract due to end at end of this season - I would expect if he continues to have fitness problems we will just lose him end of the season, won't offer him a new contract.
  • McBurnie - cost approx. £17m. Contract due to end at end of next season - feel like we will need to keep him as a squad player but he will continue to be a bit part player. We'll offer him a contract for him to stay on reduced wages, he'll look elsewhere for a new club and leave for free.
  • Burke - cost £5/6m we think based on what we paid roughly for Callum Robinson. Contract due to end at end of next season. Hopefully we will loan him out in January, we might recover £1m-2m for him next summer if he does ok for another championship side.
What does everyone else think?
Christ knows.
Hopefully some desperate prem or champ manager might think they can get a tune out of them. We just need to need to make them financially attractive, and brace ourselves for a big loss.
Thank you Mr Wilder

Well Bob, I go to all home games and about a third of away games (didn't go last night) and have done since the 1960s, so Bladey Bladeing it with me won't necessarily cut it. My point with Berge is that we are constantly waiting for 'what we know' will be a terrific player that we'll sell on for £60m or summat. Didn't get any offers in the summer did we? Of either £60m or just plain £60. And a friendly against Donny's 18 year old trialists doesn't mean much to me (didn't see it - note Donny's current league position using the 1st team, never mind the trialists). I don't see much in him to be honest. We had a young midfield player back in the day (1970s) called Phil Jones (not the Man U version), who was 6ft 5ins, and looked 'classy' as he patrolled the touchline for 5 yds either side of the halfway line. He'd take the ball from a pass, turn look around and then pass a pointless square, before switching off until someone woke him up again 5 mins. later. Was gonna be the next Tony Currie apparently. And ended up playing a season, then fucking off to non-league football. When I watch Berge, I just see his double. Not that I think Berge will end up in non-league footy. I think he'll end up in the lower reaches of the Belgian, Danish or Swedish first division in the next couple of years in front of 3,000 people and his supporters will claim we lost a gem to the continent 'cos he'll still be getting a game with hopeless Norway........
We all have our viewpoints and opinions. But have you been going to Bramall Lane with a white stick the last 60 years? The last sentence strongly indicates you have!!

Can't we get someone to wipe them out with a truck Surely the club has some for of insurance in case of such happenings.

Berge is currently worth about one-fifth of Erling Haaland (and that's being generous).
Arsenal could have signed Berge this summer - they went for Odegaard instead.

We all have our viewpoints and opinions. But have you been going to Bramall Lane with a white stick the last 60 years? The last sentence strongly indicates you have!!
No white stick, but I do wear contacts. I do want him to somehow come good, I really do. Same with all Blades. But as Roy Walker used to say on shitty Catchphrase - 'Say what you see'. I think it's gonna be not so much white stick as white flag with Berge. But if I'm wrong, and he comes back in and bosses the midfield (as any £20m+ midfielder should do in this division) to get us towards the top of this division, I'll happily admit I'm wrong......

Christ knows.
Hopefully some desperate prem or champ manager might think they can get a tune out of them. We just need to need to make them financially attractive, and brace ourselves for a big loss.
Thank you Mr Wilder

What really is the issue here with McB and Brewster is why and how, for a season were both relatively good at Swansea yet as the great DB would say "couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo" playing for us. Out of the two on 'tv watch' I'd say Brewster looks the better striker, but Christ, are we waiting till he comes back until the lad scores a league goal?

Slav is between a rock and a hard place with these expensive players. If they had cost lower fees theyd have been shipped out by now. Maybe he will give them a run in between now and January and theyll deliver (hope they can, slagged them plenty but going to try and stop) but if not then rip it up and start again. Millions down the drain but cut prices are better than letting them go for nowt.
Surely what we paid for them is irrelevant to Slav. What they get paid is far more relevant.
However I think that he will use Brewster and McBurnie, especially the latter, who I think is better at this level than many give him credit for.

Surely what we paid for them is irrelevant to Slav. What they get paid is far more relevant.
However I think that he will use Brewster and McBurnie, especially the latter, who I think is better at this level than many give him credit for.
If they're not used then they won't ever score so we'll never know if they could be good together

I'd give oli Burke an American football..
Film him running the 100 meters with it and send it off to the NFL scouts...

I'm serious as well....

Mind you I bet he wouldn't be able to take catches knowing our luck..

That's not a basis for an argument though surely?

Aubameyang is the best player in the Gabon squad and they're ranked 88th
It was used (by the person I responder to) as another way of validating Berge, where his actual performances have failed.

I’m demonstrating, as you are, how that measure doesn’t work.

Back
Top Bottom