Incoming? Willy Caballero

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some say goalkeepers are like wine, meaning that they get better with age. The more experienced they become, the more knowledgeable about the game they are; most professional keepers, in fact, don't hit their prime until they are into their 30s

Some say goalkeepers are like wine, meaning that they get better with age. The more experienced they become, the more knowledgeable about the game they are; most professional keepers, in fact, don't hit their prime until they are into their 30s
This is true but he hits 40 next month and no keeper has hit their prime in their 40s

I'd take Willy Wonka in goal if it meant I didn't have to see League 1 Wes for the rest of the season. Foderingham has a history of being error prone. He nearly cost us a point yesterday and isn't good enough for the Championship. As others have said Walton at Brighton is available and a much better keeper.

This is true but he hits 40 next month and no keeper has hit their prime in their 40s
Thing is too, he's not played more than a handful of games a season for a long time.

But at 40 we're expecting him to play twice a week regularly.

He's not having to run around like at outfielder but it's still a question mark that we shouldn't need to have in our position.

1. Yes
2. Debatable. He's actually 40 next month which means he's on the downslide both in terms of form and injuries. He hasn't played a decent number of games since 2017/18 and not played a full season since 2013/14. Not the stats of someone we can rely on to perform every week. He could easily not be better than we have. He's the kind of guy you sign as back-up, knowing hell only have to play a few games but probably reliable enough for that.
Surely he hasn't played as many games as you would like because he's been understudy to slightly better keepers in top class teams.

Back up to Bravo at Man C and then became back up to Courtois and later Azzibalga at Chelsea

"On 4 June 2021, Chelsea announced he will depart from the club at the end of the month when his contract expires, and thanked him for his contribution to the team, with an extended article for his time and feats there."

If injuries have made him miss lots of games, let me know and I'll apologise 🙂

Probably wishful thinking but maybe by signing a free agent goalie it saves one of the 5 loan slots for an additional outfield player?

Thing is too, he's not played more than a handful of games a season for a long time.

But at 40 we're expecting him to play twice a week regularly.

He's not having to run around like at outfielder but it's still a question mark that we shouldn't need to have in our position.

I think those who are happy with him signing need to have a look at the stats. Been a back-up keeper for the last 7 years. Not played regularly since he was a sprightly 33. If he was 40 and had been playing regularly and well every season then not so much of an issue.

Screenshot (299).png

I think those who are happy with him signing need to have a look at the stats. Been a back-up keeper for the last 7 years. Not played regularly since he was a sprightly 33. If he was 40 and had been playing regularly and well every season then not so much of an issue.

View attachment 119961
Smacks of a desperation signing in every way.

Surely he hasn't played as many games as you would like because he's been understudy to slightly better keepers in top class teams.

Back up to Bravo at Man C and then became back up to Courtois and later Azzibalga at Chelsea

"On 4 June 2021, Chelsea announced he will depart from the club at the end of the month when his contract expires, and thanked him for his contribution to the team, with an extended article for his time and feats there."

If injuries have made him miss lots of games, let me know and I'll apologise 🙂

What difference does that make? He's not been playing regularly for 4 years. Not completed a full season for 7 and yet at the age of almost 40 we expect him to play 40 games?

Footballers keep sharp by playing competitive football.

What about when they get into their 40s?

All I can say is what a fuck up this transfer window has been so far. Honestly, I strongly feel that if someone doesn't lose their job on that recruitment team the ship will continue to sink.

But some on here are adamant that recruitment of a player is tantamount to quantum physics, or brain surgery.

It's not. Its just incompetence either on the part of the board (not releasing funds) it the recruitment team (either going for unrealistic targets or players who weren't available). There should have been 4 or 5 players in by now to refresh the team and bring in players without the baggage of last season. Lack of creativity in midfield or out wide has been an issue for a while now and it should have been addressed. No excuses and it's absolutely piss poor.

No, that's what middle aged men say to the new office grad, when they're trying to get their dick wet! 😂

39, 29, or 49 this is a really good signing. CL and top international level experience.

Friedel, Schwarzer, James, Seaman, Schmeichel and van der Sar all played in their 40s.

I'd rather we not sign him and focus on other areas but I don't think age is an issue with GK.

All I can say is what a fuck up this transfer window has been so far. Honestly, I strongly feel that if someone doesn't lose their job on that recruitment team the ship will continue to sink.
I think there’s a lot of signings pointing to us needing a restructure behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom