Incoming? Willy Caballero

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade58

Once a Blade, always a daft ****
Reaction score
Blades opened talks with GK Caballero about a return to English football. Blades looking for their replacement after the sale of Ramsdale

He's a free agent and only 39 years young

I'll leave it at that

Source: Nixon

Last edited:

He's a decent keeper and a step up on what we have now. If finances are limited (lets not get into that) then I'd rather see us save money at the back to allow us to spend money on creativity. Clearly not a long term option but comes with bags of experience at a high level.

Ps. Not bad at saving pens either!

Ridickulous.

He's 39 ffs. Even for a keeper that is too old. May as well have kept Jags.

If true, this short-termism is utter madness. If we stay up, what then at the start of next season? Magic money beans?

If we're going to sign a keeper it needs to be someone to stick around for a couple of years at least. Next season we start with a much bigger problem than this season. Players on long big contracts who aren't good enough and losing several first teamers.

Usually I’d be against this sort of signing as it’s hardly long term is it? But ….we need leaders, people who are used to being in winning teams, a quick fix to stop the rot. This guy turned down a contract extension I believe so he obviously can still do a job. Let’s just get some new blood in so I don’t have to watch the current clown show any more !!!

Couldn't give a flying one how old he is or how short term it is.

Question 1 - is he available?
Question 2 - is he better than what we have?

1. Yes
2. Debatable. He's actually 40 next month which means he's on the downslide both in terms of form and injuries. He hasn't played a decent number of games since 2017/18 and not played a full season since 2013/14. Not the stats of someone we can rely on to perform every week. He could easily not be better than we have. He's the kind of guy you sign as back-up, knowing hell only have to play a few games but probably reliable enough for that.

Think this would be a good signing myself he as been there seen it and done it all i would welcome him with open arms. As for his age look what buffon is doing in his 40s still class

What is disappointing is that just about every player we seem to be linked with is getting past their sell by date

What message does that send out from the board to the fan base?

The fact SJ is publicly having a dig at the board

The fact that despite rhetoric about signings, only one has happened and despite selling rammers for £24m, we are still linked with short term signings. No forethought, no planning. It's not difficult to write this season off after 5 fkin games. It's not difficult to actually envisage a relegation battle

Very disappointed with how things are panning out

Be a good signing on a short term basis. Yes he’s 39, but Ben Foster is 38 and still arguably the best English keeper about

Owt for nowt, that's us at the moment.
........ Wait hold on a minute, yes he'll be 40 by the time he plays for us, but, what's he got to do ? walk from the tunnel to the net and back a couple of times and hopefully put himself about in the goalmouth. Not exactly going to be sprinting up the field very often is he ?
Not great, but I would be happy with him, just for the foreseeable future that is

We should of bought Ben Foster last year , I personally blame both Wilder and the board , Wilder for his shit player recruitment and the board for the wage structure limiting Wilders selection. Now we’re fucked and heading back into league division one

John Burridge was great and he was late 30's.

I think he's still playing now.

I'd sign Caballero. What happened about Olsen though, I thought that was nailed on??

Short termism again. What they should do is moving out one of Verrips and Foderingham, and signing a permanent number one who'll be the long term future of the club with a youngster as third choice. Instead they are going to burn our parachute on a temporary loan on mega money. Davies is a very good player but we've burned over a million quid to borrow him for one season.

I’ve no issues with getting big Willy in, short term. Massively better than the crap we have currently.
But I’ll repeat what someone else has said, what happened to Olsen being nailed on??

I’ve no issues with getting big Willy in, short term. Massively better than the crap we have currently.
But I’ll repeat what someone else has said, what happened to Olsen being nailed on??
Roma were happy to loan him to us but unsurprisingly the player wasn't bothered about coming.

Back
Top Bottom