Wilders improvement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was there on Sunday, at least I was until the 75th minute. I was also there for the recent Villa and Brighton (league) games, and for the Newcastle and Bournemouth games under Hecky. I thought that the worst performance under Hecky was the Bournemouth game. We were screwed by the officials for Newcastle's first 3 goals, and then basically they ran riot, but we did have a go.
I think that however you spin it, the recent home games under Wilder have been worse than anything churned out under Hecky, Bournemouth included. Villa and Arsenal could have had 10 each if they'd chosen to, but they chose to take their foot off the gas, either through pity, or to protect their players for coming games.
I know the owner is a big issue, but many clubs have crap and uncommitted owners (we have in the past too), and it's the job of the manager and players to get beyond that and to at least have a plan to entertain and limit the damage.
I think there was a slight uplift after Wilder came back, but that's long gone. Losing 1-0 at Wolves isn't any sort of moral victory, it's still losing.

I didn't want Wilder to come back, as I feared what may happen, but I hoped it wouldn't. It has, and Sunday's game was utterly shambolic. Wilder appeared to spend great chunks of time in the dugout. He may have wanted to hide, we all did, but he's not paid to do that, he's paid to inspire and support.

I can't see how any home game since the draw with Villa before Christmas has been any improvement on Hecky, and if anything the performances are looking increasingly worse. I won't defend Hecky, although I do like him, and the buck had to stop somewhere. But to say that we're doing consistently better under Wilder, using the "stats" above, is to ignore what we see with our own eyes, and to ignore what we feel when we're inside Bramall Lane. I don't know what the answer is going forward, I just think that it really isn't Wilder.

Chris Wilder over the last 12 games would have had us 18th, 3 points of 15th.

I know there’s some hammerings along the way but the improvement is quite remarkable.

Imagine how different it would be if we were on our way to Bournmouth within touching distance of survival. It would be a fantastic day out.

I don’t think anyone really thinks Wilder will be sacked (some will say he’ll walk 😂) I understand a lot of fans do not like Wilder for numerous different reasons. I am a big advocate of stats but the main stat is points on the board.

View attachment 180196
This must be a wind up.

We are fucking shit under Wilder.

It doesn't matter whether we're 17th, 15th, 18th or 12th over the last 12 games, the underlying point is that less than 0.9 points per game is relegation form and Wilder has 0.6. We were bad before he was reappointed, we've been average-to-abysmal since.

Wilder at home: P7 W1 D1 L5 F5 A23 Pts 4
Wilder away P6 W1 D1 L4 F6 A9 Pts 4

The big question for me is what has gone so badly wrong at home recently under Wilder? We've conceded 5 in our last 3 away but 16 in our last 3 at home.

All this is, frankly, immaterial whilever we're allowed to drift aimlessly by an owner who clearly wants nothing more to do with owing an English football club.

It doesn't matter whether we're 17th, 15th, 18th or 12th over the last 12 games, the underlying point is that less than 0.9 points per game is relegation form and Wilder has 0.6. We were bad before he was reappointed, we've been average-to-abysmal since.

Wilder at home: P7 W1 D1 L5 F5 A23 Pts 4
Wilder away P6 W1 D1 L4 F6 A9 Pts 4

The big question for me is what has gone so badly wrong at home recently under Wilder? We've conceded 5 in our last 3 away but 16 in our last 3 at home.

All this is, frankly, immaterial whilever we're allowed to drift aimlessly by an owner who clearly wants nothing more to do with owing an English football club.
We’ve played the best teams at homes. That’s where the huge difference is.

We’ve played the best teams at homes. That’s where the huge difference is.
Liverpool (1st), Brentford (15th), Luton (18th), West Ham (7th), Brighton (9th), Aston Villa (4th), Arsenal (3rd).

Two elite sides, three decent and two relegation candidates. Pretty much a decent sample of PL sides. There's nothing to cling onto there.

Liverpool (1st), Brentford (15th), Luton (18th), West Ham (7th), Brighton (9th), Aston Villa (4th), Arsenal (3rd).

Two elite sides, three decent and two relegation candidates. Pretty much a decent sample of PL sides. There's nothing to cling onto there.
In 7 games we have played 3 of the top 4 sides.

Of course a team like ours will get pumped. We lost 8 to Newcastle and 5 to Burnley 19th.

We beat 15th at home and we threw away 18th.

But to the original point why the big change at home it’s because we’ve played better calibre of teams and they have smashed us.

I just read you called 4th place in Premier league decent 😂

I didn’t think he’d come in and we’d be winning every other game. I did think however we’d stop rolling over and getting battered with no response. This has been as bad if not worse than Hecky. I think if hecky had stayed he would have got a couple more wins/draws in the following 12 games. So my conclusion is wilder hasn't really improved anything.
We got smashed by Burnley 5-0 😂 losing 6-0 to Arsenal is nothing compared to that.

His last interview showed me he has lost the plot completely.

He won't get another gig in football after leaving us.
I maybe biased but all he said is the players after taking so many beatings are struggling and that it might be time for the kids.

Sometimes Wilder’s interviews are a bit more edgy this was the most boring interview he has done. Wilder would walk into another championship job. He walked into us quite comfortably and improved us.

Football is clicky some managers will always get jobs it’s just how it works.

I maybe biased but all he said is the players after taking so many beatings are struggling and that it might be time for the kids.

Sometimes Wilder’s interviews are a bit more edgy this was the most boring interview he has done. Wilder would walk into another championship job. He walked into us quite comfortably and improved us.

He's yesterday's man and you can see it, no fans singing his name anymore, a man desperate for a job, god help us if he's here next season

He's yesterday's man and you can see it, no fans singing his name anymore, a man desperate for a job, god help us if he's here next season
So once you take your bias away… and look at the original post.

You’ve got to say he’s done very well overall? Unless you Beleive he should have come in and got us playing mid table football?

The division demands a billionaire owner, and players around an average of 25 -40m on the pitch In order to  survive..

We're just getting news coming through on how the prince / backroom staff treat thier manager regarding the Berge transfer so becoming loud n clear to me where the problem is, if we want to ever consolidate in the PL we need new richer ownership so it's bye bye prince at some point if that's where we're going, what I've just read any manager would resign over..

You can have any manager you want the outcome will be the same in the premier league, we'll discuss the losses of Berge and Ndyie but truth be told they'll be nothing but subs at any team above 12th place in this division all thier sales did was ensure we can get a couple of similar players on longer contracts buying the prince more time with his meagre resources, basically using what he's paid out before recouping it and using it again..

He's never at the club, more interested in the 49ers (glad they lost) and tbh the club is being run like a joke because of his incompetence and decisions at boardroom level, appointing a team then the ceo comes out straight away and says "you won't see me again" we should have been in uproar that day...

Look beyond the football, even when we were successfull with wilder, we had people without a clue milling about, phipps although likable what did he know, sella ??? The writings been on the wall a long time but promotions have masked it all.. edit: which are in most quarters now being accepted as the respective managers over achieving..

Running the contracts down was the fatal error though, it's loud and clear the club will not pay anyehere near the going rate for mcburnie and wes to sign up, never mind the rest, couple that with out of contract players and thier agents doing deals for next year, each of those players being told "if you get an injury the deals off instantly" while we sit in the stands wondering why there's a lack of effort!

If the prince was a football expert with limited funds sat in the boardroom at the lane, updating the fans every now and then, chairing meetings about how we proceed that would be tolerated, he'd be sharing our troubles with us, but he's not bothered he's using social media every 12 months because it's the quick fix to address the fans directly in the most convenient manner to him, you cant blame the content providers either if you ran a podcast and the owner wanted to go on that's a dream come true, but its a quick Skype and then back to looking at the draft speculation for the new NFL season isn't it..

Wilder / Hecky / Klopp / Guardiola, take your pick, a club being run like we are, it doesn't matter, they'll all fail..
Perhaps a look at the mess Leicester City appear to be in is needed before ‘a rich owner” is the panacea.

Perhaps a look at the mess Leicester City appear to be in is needed before ‘a rich owner” is the panacea.

I'd suggest if the person who sadly lost his life in that tragic accident was still here...

You'd not be able to say this..

Note: whatever shit they'll get themselves into. They've won the premier league, it's in the history books forever..

Unlike us.

I’m not sure I know what back to basics is, but we need to restore some pride this weekend.

Bournemouth are not Footballing Gods, for Christ’s sake.

We need to go there and genuinely outwork them with a determination not witnessed enough this year.

If the players are genuinely hurting and they are professionals then they need to give something back.

Not tracking runners and simply losing your man because you’ve switched off isn’t acceptable.

Yes, Chris has to set them up right. He has to give them a chance to compete but the gap of winning individual battles isn’t going to be as high this weekend as it was on Monday.

Bournemouth and Fulham at home are two games we should be targeting for a return of points.

There’s a notion that we won’t end the season on 13 points. If so, the ‘couple’ of wins need to come from somewhere and these are as likely as any.

As abject as we have been it’s down to 10 games and we need to compete. For all we know Forest and Everton could still be losing substantial points.

You may laugh at this, but 4 points from the next two and you’d actually have your survival in your own hands. Potentially wins against Forest or Everton could put us above them.

There has to be a reaction. Get Baldock in from the start. We never lose heavily when he plays. We have to leave out Trusty. I’d also consider leaving out Anel too.

If it’s a 5 then something like Baldock-Holgate-Anel-Robinson-Osborn. At least you know those out wide will do their damnedest to win their individual battles. Holgate owes us big time. For all the criticism he quite rightly received for his error against Brighton, he’s somehow managed 120+ PL career games. We need him to show that experience now.

I wouldn’t mind Brooks and Arblaster, maybe with Souza, who was crap last game. Then I did wonder if Bogle in front of Baldock to attack a bit. But I also like the idea of Davies playing and of McAtee playing.

McBurnie seemed to struggle.

Could we perhaps go with Souza behind Arblaster and Davies with Brooks as a sub if needed. Then have McAtee in a 10 and Brereton-Diaz up front?

Something fresh but at least a little creative. We can switch in McBurnie later on and perhaps losing his spot might give Hamer a rocket he needs?

Life’s too short. It’s never time to give up and it’s never too late to repent!

I'd suggest if the person who sadly lost his life in that tragic accident was still here...

Note: whatever shit they'll get themselves into. They've won the premier league, it's in the history books forever..

Unlike us.

Unlike us.
The family business is still very profitable, it is the way the club has been run for the last 4/5 years that is the problem.
Whilst a wealthy owner is a big step forward , any club has to have excellent recruitment and background expertise to enable it to be successful. Too many rich owners have failed.

. Wilder would walk into another championship job. He walked into us quite comfortably and improved us

Sacked by Boro, Carrick did him no favours by taking them to playoff places, highlighting it was manager not players that was the problem

Took Watford from play off contenders to no hopers

How many clubs came in for him between May & our desperate call in December?

It is clicky your right, but that clicque is also there amongst owners and directors

CW was overlooked by WBA a couple of years ago for that reason, he’s done nothing to enhance his reputation since, a career in the studio is where his future lies

Last edited:
Ill make my decision on what I see - not a snap shot of less than a 1/3rd of the season

-Against Arsenal starts Norwood, who lost it over 12 months ago, into a midfield against 2 of the best in the EPL - Rice & Odegard
-He put Trusty 1-1 with Saka as part of a back 4, when 3 CB's would have given Trusty more protection
-Doesnt tell Hamer/Davies to drop back & double up on Saka, waits until were 0-3 down to replace Norwood who shouldnt have started anyway
-Implies its the older players who are to blame with his 'may have to play the kids' rather than admit his tactical brainfart
-Holgate was deemed not good enough for the EPL, then not good enough for the EFL, so CW brings him in
-Signs Grbic and to prove a point to Wes throws him in after 24 hours, currently shipped 20 in 5 games
-We may not have the player for overlapping CBs, but there is no plan, whats our tactic?

Prior to this he failed at Watford, failed at Boro, bailed on us - he will always be lauded for the good he did, but the CW that is running our football team isnt the right man to lead us forward, especially given we need a huge rebuild, and his eye for a player is debatable
I would love us to he tapping Robins up at Coventry he can spot a bargain, work with limited funds and plays a excellent style of football

At least we'd be within touching distance which is where we'd like to be at this point, at least competitive and within reach of the magical 4th bottom, which where any promoted side wants to be. Expecting anything more than that would be unrealistic in my opinion, especially considering the lack of money we've spent and the players we didn't manage to retain. Berge, Doyle and Ndiaye in this team would have made a noticeable difference.

I do agree that Wilder is yesterday's news but who else in their right mind would take the job, without the emotional connection to us, knowing the lack of money or ambition from the owner? Wilder is unlikely to get a job at Premier League or Championship level outside of this one based on his last season here or what happened at Middlesbrough and Watford. If he does harbour ambitions of continuing to be a manager at a good level then its in his interests to get this right and polish a few turds when we go down like when we were stuck in League One - not polishing turds like Jack Rodwell and Ravel Morrison who were already halfway down the drain.

Wilder at least knows the club and what the supporters want to see (not that we are at the moment, at home) and he seems to be the only man for the job until Prince buggers off and we can do a proper rebuilding job, rather than building it on sand like we are at the moment (pun kind of intended).
Why do people bring Berge in to it,he only performed 40% of the time vastly over rated thus why he's playing for Burnley and not a top Premier league side

Whilst I accept some of this I don’t agree that he has no eye for a player. It might be true at PL level, but his recruitment when he first came was excellent and most of those took us to the PL in the first place.
We now need him to recruit at a similar level, so let’s see what happens in the summer.
The majority of the Division 1 side were good enough for the Championship,the difference now,he has to create a team for this division,whether he can remains to be seen.(Imho)

The majority of the Division 1 side were good enough for the Championship,the difference now,he has to create a team for this division,whether he can remains to be seen.(Imho)
I think that “whether he can” remains to be seen for all of us. The situation is different from when he last did it and I am not clear whether it will be as easy. Some clubs will assume that we have money and we may or may not have much.
The last time we had been drifting around in L1, so were assumed to have limited buying power.

Sacked by Boro, Carrick did him no favours by taking them to playoff places, highlighting it was manager not players that was the problem

Took Watford from play off contenders to no hopers

How many clubs came in for him between May & our desperate call in December?

It is clicky your right, but that clicque is also there amongst owners and directors

CW was overlooked by WBA a couple of years ago for that reason, he’s done nothing to enhance his reputation since, a career in the studio is where his future lies
He’s a Premier League manager. He’s managing in the best division in the world! Next season we will finish above WBA again…

He’s a Premier League manager. He’s managing in the best division in the world! Next season we will finish above WBA again…
If a dog is born in a stable, does it make it a horse?

He really isnt - not for long - wouldnt bank on it

So once you take your bias away… and look at the original post.

You’ve got to say he’s done very well overall? Unless you Beleive he should have come in and got us playing mid table football?
So Heckys games against Man City, Newcastle, Man U, Spurs & Arsenal & wilders 4 on the bounce 5-0s at home don't count in your view

The family business is still very profitable, it is the way the club has been run for the last 4/5 years that is the problem.
Whilst a wealthy owner is a big step forward , any club has to have excellent recruitment and background expertise to enable it to be successful. Too many rich owners have failed.

Its straight forward, the kids don't share his passion for football, they probably see it as a headache, I'd settle for thier situation in a heartbeat.

Winning the title was seen as an impossible dream, I'd give my right arm for that to happen to us..

Suppose were all different though..

Back
Top Bottom