Wild(er) Boys

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
This team belongs to CWAK.

He got the best out of them and then couldn't get anymore. They seemed to be spent and playing back at levels they were when we signed them.

We're basically stuck with them until their contract runs out. They're largely worth what we paid for them (apart from the more recent ones who are nowhere near that)

I said earlier this year that we need to try and move some of them on but can't imagine that's going to be easy or possible.

The problem we have is that even if we bring 5/6 in they're still going to be in the background, possible causing trouble. I doubt this group would be happy to be side-lined and it's likely to be an unhappy changing room for a couple of years. Ultimately, we should have been moving people on over the last couple of years by replacing them with better players. We haven't really done that. There should have been a natural churn.

My worry is that we are going to be in the same boat as Wednesday. Stuck with a group of players who are past it and unable to get rid of them due to their wages/age.

This needs a lot of investment and managing very carefully. I currently don't trust our owner to do this.

p.s. Harking back to Wilder every time we have a bad result needs to stop. Because someone played well 3 to 4 years ago doesn't mean anything now. He is no longer our manager. I fear we're going to have decades of people wanting us to bring him back every time we have a bad patch.

This team belongs to the owner. CW has gone he managed this team to 9th in the PL.

When we missed out on all of our targets it was the beginning of the end.

When JoC was injured they didn’t replace. That was the end.

This team belongs to the owner. CW has gone he managed this team to 9th in the PL.

When we missed out on all of our targets it was the beginning of the end.

When JoC was injured they didn’t replace. That was the end.

He also managed it to relegation before Christmas.

As you still don’t understand, we didn’t miss out on our targets, we just could not compete financially.

JOC was replaced with Jack Robinson seeing as Wilder was intent on spending our entire budget on a striker that wasn’t ready for the Premier League. We all knew replacing JOC was the priority, CW decided to spunk his load elsewhere. How is that the Prince’s fault?

He also managed it to relegation before Christmas.

As you still don’t understand, we didn’t miss out on our targets, we just could not compete financially.

JOC was replaced with Jack Robinson seeing as Wilder was intent on spending our entire budget on a striker that wasn’t ready for the Premier League. We all knew replacing JOC was the priority, CW decided to spunk his load elsewhere. How is that the Prince’s fault?
No my friend Jack Robinson was bought as back up to JoC. Should have signed Davies then as soon as we knew JoC was injured. Do you think CW thought yeah lose our best centre half and not replace him. We tried to get Kongolo etc failed medical. The board didn’t sanction a signing at LCB.

I don’t mind discussion but when any answer you have is the Prince is the best it’s impossible.

No my friend Jack Robinson was bought as back up to JoC. Should have signed Davies then as soon as we knew JoC was injured. Do you think CW thought yeah lose our best centre half and not replace him. We tried to get Kongolo etc failed medical. The board didn’t sanction a signing at LCB.

I don’t mind discussion but when any answer you have is the Prince is the best it’s impossible.

Where did I say the Prince is the best? I’ve already stated that he’s limited financially.

No instead CW thought I’m not going to look for an alternative CB I’m going to blow the entire budget elsewhere on a position that it was necessarily essential to buy a new player.

Hang on are people trying to say spending money on a striker wasn't a good idea at the time? Even when we finished 9th no striker got double figures...

Where did I say the Prince is the best? I’ve already stated that he’s limited financially.

No instead CW thought I’m not going to look for an alternative CB I’m going to blow the entire budget elsewhere on a position that it was necessarily essential to buy a new player.
I got this last night about the Prince. I didn't mention him once.

We couldn’t even sign a freebie!

Wilder came out in interviews saying needed a left side centre half and it never came. He bit his tongue in interviews at the start. Rewatch them. He was desperate for one but couldn’t get one over the line.

But we can use your excuse we cannot compete financially so it is what it is I suppose.

Rome wasnt built in a day, a lot of work to do unfortunately.

This team belongs to CWAK.

He got the best out of them and then couldn't get anymore. They seemed to be spent and playing back at levels they were when we signed them.

We're basically stuck with them until their contract runs out. They're largely worth what we paid for them (apart from the more recent ones who are nowhere near that)

I said earlier this year that we need to try and move some of them on but can't imagine that's going to be easy or possible.

The problem we have is that even if we bring 5/6 in they're still going to be in the background, possible causing trouble. I doubt this group would be happy to be side-lined and it's likely to be an unhappy changing room for a couple of years. Ultimately, we should have been moving people on over the last couple of years by replacing them with better players. We haven't really done that. There should have been a natural churn.

My worry is that we are going to be in the same boat as Wednesday. Stuck with a group of players who are past it and unable to get rid of them due to their wages/age.

This needs a lot of investment and managing very carefully. I currently don't trust our owner to do this.

p.s. Harking back to Wilder every time we have a bad result needs to stop. Because someone played well 3 to 4 years ago doesn't mean anything now. He is no longer our manager. I fear we're going to have decades of people wanting us to bring him back every time we have a bad patch.

I agree completely.

The similarities with the position that SWFC got themselves into are clear. Parallels with Sunderland’s problems are also there.

From a distance, we watched Sunderland became a basket case club in an unstoppable decline. Players were given contracts way in excess of what their abilities and value justified. Those inadequate players then became a millstone around the club, preventing the squad being re-modelled and swiftly dragging them into League 1. Nobody wanted their players and they couldn’t get rid.

Notwithstanding that we never paid at the same level as Sunderland, in our own way, it feels awfully like we have arrived at the same crisis.

For almost all of this squad, there is unlikely to be a better contract than the ones they are currently on, out there. They are being paid at the limit - or, more realistically, beyond - what their ability and potential warrants.

We may, therefore, now find ourselves paying the price for rashly handing out improved contracts to players in 2019/20 when there was no real pressure for us to do so. It was not as if other clubs were sniffing around those players and threatening to lure any of them away. Yet, we gave new deals to players who were already under contract.

It may be that there was an element of wanting to reward many of these players, but sadly it looks like we misjudged what many of these players had left to give, and we are paying the price now.

Back
Top Bottom