Why we've only got 2 points

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brumdog66

Reaction score
Last season we we're a below average attacking team and had the 4th best defence in the league. This season we're still a below average attacking team and have the 4th worst defence in the league. Without O'Connell we're forced to field at least one center back well below premier league standard. If we change to a four at the back the defence might be improved but we don't have and good wide players and the system was what got us into this position in the first place. Awful in the transfer market not signing any good cover you can't just blame it on bad luck, we were lucky to get through last season with such an intact defence. Not signing some wide players to make the system more adaptable or a decent backup center back has fucked us over massively

O'Connell has morphed into Prime Nemanja Vidic as a result of injury.
He's one of the best players, or arguably best, in this squad, but one player doesn't cause the problems the team has had in all areas this season.

Just like Bruno Fernandes coming in and totally changing the fluidity of Man United's midfield and attack, hasn't solved their awful defensive record.

He's one of the best players, or arguably best, in this squad, but one player doesn't cause the problems the team has had in all areas this season.

Just like Bruno Fernandes coming in and totally changing the fluidity of Man United's midfield and attack, hasn't solved their awful defensive record.
That’s a bit of a contradiction, Fernandes, one player, totally changes Man Utd’s midfield & attack yet O’Connell, one player probably more important to us can’t solve our problems in one area.
I would think that some of the 11 defeats by the odd goal wouldn’t have happened with O’Connell in our team.

A fully fit JOC and we’re a whole different animal. Because we could play our system perfectly well, and the players he directly links with would likely be a lot more confident since they know each other’s game inside out.

Stick to Leicester.

Last season we we're a below average attacking team and had the 4th best defence in the league. This season we're still a below average attacking team and have the 4th worst defence in the league. Without O'Connell we're forced to field at least one center back well below premier league standard. If we change to a four at the back the defence might be improved but we don't have and good wide players and the system was what got us into this position in the first place. Awful in the transfer market not signing any good cover you can't just blame it on bad luck, we were lucky to get through last season with such an intact defence. Not signing some wide players to make the system more adaptable or a decent backup center back has fucked us over massively
Who’s blaming it on bad luck.

It's not that O'Connells that good it's that the several back ups we've tried to replace him with are completely out of their depth.

He's one of the best players, or arguably best, in this squad, but one player doesn't cause the problems the team has had in all areas this season..

Personally I’m bored of hearing about O’Connell’s injury.

O’Connell’s injury hasn’t caused our midfielders to go into hiding, our strikers to become allergic to scoring, Wilder’s shite tactics and signings or the loss of fighting team spirit we once had.

It’s not about individual players...it’s about players working in pairs, matching each other’s styles and developing an understanding.

As an individual player both O’Connell and Stevens are average BUT working together they are transformed.

We developed a unique/ weird attacking style. Egan is the only holding/ proper centre back.
Down the right...Baldock and Baldock are a danger and on the left Stevens and O’Connell are a massive threat.

We used defenders to attack from the wings...this gave midfielders time and space to support them.
Now our midfielders are having to play a more orthodox style and are being found out.
When everyone was raving about Fleck last season being worth 30 million I said individually I still didn’t think our players were anywhere near PL standard.

Notice how we have little threat down the left now and without O’Connell by his side Stevens doesn’t look the same player.

Also defensively O’Connell and Egan were supreme in the air....last year we rarely conceded from set pieces.
This season we are missing 50% of our defensive heading strength...so we will get caught out...like the goal conceded against Burnley.

Few points here Brum. Firstly, we do have at least one wide player - Burke. In my view the best alternative system is a 4-2-3-1 formation. The three behind the one striker could be Burke on the right, Didzy in the middle and Fleck on the left. McBurnie up top most likely. I could see that working.

As for the lack of cover, don't want to be rude but did you not hear Wilder's desperate pleas to the board to sign a replacement for O'Connell in the last few weeks of the summer? If you're saying that before that we should have signed someone then we already had Robinson. Many will say he's not good enough, but for odd games he is, if he is is injured for months then no, but to sign someone who can cover O'Connell and be of a similar standard would be harder than you think to get and they'd be sat on the bench every week like Bogle is now, but he's one for the future and then you get fans saying we need people in now that are good enough but they want decent wages - see Cash and Robinson as key examples. I've said this countless times, but bringing in players that are good enough on our wage structure is not easy. What's scewed us over, other than injuries is the lack of form to key players that previously we relied upon. I've also said this a few times in the last day but I think it's worth repeating.

I do wonder if our fans think that Wilder wanted Lowe for example as his first or second choice. I would guess he was about 3rd or 4th choice, and was only bought in as back up but because he is young he can improve and he's had to play far more than desired because we've had injuries to Stevens and O'Connell.

On wide men cover, why would Wilder bring in wide players for cover to change a system when they wouldn't be used? As you say, we've done really well with this system, why look to change it in the summer.

One thing not mentioned much is the problem if transfer windows. If you get injuries just after the window closes or just before it closes (O'Connell) you need more players due to lack of form, whatever reason, then you're screwed until January and this suits the bigger clubs with much more quality throughout their squad. To go back to your first point on cover if we didn't have transfer windows we could go with a smaller squad and not need to spend millions on back-up players because we could bring in players on a needs basis, rather than for cover. Why the existing transfer window system is in place is beynd me, it only makes it easier for the bugger clubs.

Finally, Ampadu is the defensive cover for Egan and Bash, Stevens can fill in also at left centre back. Even at the better teams they don't have an equivlant player of quality for every position, its just that their back ups are better than most of our first choice players!

It’s not about individual players...it’s about players working in pairs, matching each other’s styles and developing an understanding.

As an individual player both O’Connell and Stevens are average BUT working together they are transformed.

We developed a unique/ weird attacking style. Egan is the only holding/ proper centre back.
Down the right...Baldock and Baldock are a danger and on the left Stevens and O’Connell are a massive threat.

We used defenders to attack from the wings...this gave midfielders time and space to support them.
Now our midfielders are having to play a more orthodox style and are being found out.
When everyone was raving about Fleck last season being worth 30 million I said individually I still didn’t think our players were anywhere near PL standard.

Notice how we have little threat down the left now and without O’Connell by his side Stevens doesn’t look the same player.

Also defensively O’Connell and Egan were supreme in the air....last year we rarely conceded from set pieces.
This season we are missing 50% of our defensive heading strength...so we will get caught out...like the goal conceded against Burnley.
Think you do O’Connell a disservice calling him average it’ll be hard to judge him objectively whilst ever he’s in the same system that moulded him on his rise but athletically he’s a freak his explosiveness isn’t often seen at centreback.

The reason we only have two points is down to several factors.
Firstly for the last two seasons we had an absolutely world class keeper. Unfortunately he was not our player. He never made any secret that he wanted to be number one at Manchester Utd. We were just a stepping stone to him achieving that. His replacement is not a bad keeper. He's just not of the same quality of Henderson.
Henderson was also lucky enough to have a settled back three infront of him. Bash,Egan and JOC were all immense for most of last season. They covered for each other when mistakes were made. Giving us a solid defence who were able to keep clean sheets. We 've lost two out of those four in Hendo and JOC . A big miss for any side.
Then there's the midfield. Last season Fleck was amazing. He was tenacious, his passing was quality and he scored goals. Where the fuck has he gone? Then there was Norwood with his ping, free kicks and mainly quality corners. Again wtf has happened to him? He might as well be sat watching with me for all the quality he has atm. Lundstum, love him or hate him he did pop up with a few goals and assists last season. Now he wants away. Our wing backs Baldock and Stevens have come in for some flack for poor performance but look at the three players I 've just mentioned. If they are not doing it you can't expect wingers to make it up for them. From what I've seen of Ampadu he is no replacement of either the Fleck or Norwood of last season.
Our forwards have never been prolific scorers. Billy needs the ball in the six yard box. We never get that far. McBurnie, another marmite player , again is not getting the service. Brewster has arrived into this maelstrom and is obviously finding it difficult to ajust. Moose and Burke have pace in abundance but that is never going to achieve much without back up from a vastly underperforming midfield. Berge is quality but he s out for three months and can't do it on his own anyway. Didsy is Didsy. Quality. Never gives anything but his best. But he s one man.
Anyone who thinks Lingard is the answer (if he comes,and I don't think he will) needs to have a serious rethink.
Basically, we are fucked.
Get used to the idea.

If you go from a top 10 side to the worst team in the history of English football due to losing one player your squad is made of piss.

Let's not get carried away either, we were still quite shit when JOC was still in the team post lockdown.

Few points here Brum. Firstly, we do have at least one wide player - Burke. In my view the best alternative system is a 4-2-3-1 formation. The three behind the one striker could be Burke on the right, Didzy in the middle and Fleck on the left. McBurnie up top most likely. I could see that working.

As for the lack of cover, don't want to be rude but did you not hear Wilder's desperate pleas to the board to sign a replacement for O'Connell in the last few weeks of the summer? If you're saying that before that we should have signed someone then we already had Robinson. Many will say he's not good enough, but for odd games he is, if he is is injured for months then no, but to sign someone who can cover O'Connell and be of a similar standard would be harder than you think to get and they'd be sat on the bench every week like Bogle is now, but he's one for the future and then you get fans saying we need people in now that are good enough but they want decent wages - see Cash and Robinson as key examples. I've said this countless times, but bringing in players that are good enough on our wage structure is not easy. What's scewed us over, other than injuries is the lack of form to key players that previously we relied upon. I've also said this a few times in the last day but I think it's worth repeating.

I do wonder if our fans think that Wilder wanted Lowe for example as his first or second choice. I would guess he was about 3rd or 4th choice, and was only bought in as back up but because he is young he can improve and he's had to play far more than desired because we've had injuries to Stevens and O'Connell.

On wide men cover, why would Wilder bring in wide players for cover to change a system when they wouldn't be used? As you say, we've done really well with this system, why look to change it in the summer.

One thing not mentioned much is the problem if transfer windows. If you get injuries just after the window closes or just before it closes (O'Connell) you need more players due to lack of form, whatever reason, then you're screwed until January and this suits the bigger clubs with much more quality throughout their squad. To go back to your first point on cover if we didn't have transfer windows we could go with a smaller squad and not need to spend millions on back-up players because we could bring in players on a needs basis, rather than for cover. Why the existing transfer window system is in place is beynd me, it only makes it easier for the bugger clubs.

Finally, Ampadu is the defensive cover for Egan and Bash, Stevens can fill in also at left centre back. Even at the better teams they don't have an equivlant player of quality for every position, its just that their back ups are better than most of our first choice players!

When did JOC get injured? June last season. Between then and now we've spent £50m, and used 1 of our 4 possible loan signings and made no serious attempt to replace him. It's as if we daren't buy anyone of any real quality for risk of upsetting him.

We've spent a wedge on a left back who we didn't/don't/won't need and a RWB/RCM that was so needed that he's featured once.

We couldn't find any cash buyers for either Freeman or CR, at a fee that didn't show us up. So we swapped CR for Burke, a player so bad WBA couldn't shift and didn't even want on their books as back up in the PL.

Ampadu currently looks as happy to be at BDTBL as Terry Waite did to be chained to a radiator in Beirut. So does Brewster.

I bet our Board are waiting with baited breath for this transfer window to open. Can't wait to get cracking with CW's player suggestions. :rolleyes:

A fully fit JOC and we’re a whole different animal. Because we could play our system perfectly well, and the players he directly links with would likely be a lot more confident since they know each other’s game inside out.

Stick to Leicester.

I could stick to Leicester......
Or Liverpool.....

Two sides that have had the majority of their back 4 missing all season, missing better players that are just as vital as JOC to their squads, but they sit 1st and 3rd currently.

That tells me that sides with enough quality in other areas of the pitch, can get positive results with 1 key player injured.
The difference is those sides have goalscorers, Blades do not.

When did JOC get injured? June last season. Between then and now we've spent £50m, and used 1 of our 4 possible loan signings and made no serious attempt to replace him. It's as if we daren't buy anyone of any real quality for risk of upsetting him.

We've spent a wedge on a left back who we didn't/don't/won't need and a RWB/RCM that was so needed that he's featured once.

We couldn't find any cash buyers for either Freeman or CR, at a fee that didn't show us up. So we swapped CR for Burke, a player so bad WBA couldn't shift and didn't even want on their books as back up in the PL.

Ampadu currently looks as happy to be at BDTBL as Terry Waite did to be chained to a radiator in Beirut. So does Brewster.

I bet our Board are waiting with baited breath for this transfer window to open. Can't wait to get cracking with CW's player suggestions. :rolleyes:

O'Connell was injured in June but then he was deemed fit by our medical team and started the season. When it became apaprent he needed an operation it was about two weeks till the window closes to replace him. I'm curious how you must have insider info to know that we didn't make a serious attempt to replace him. Wilder was certainly adament he wanted to replace him. It's also very difficult for us to recruit a player of similar style and standard as JOC, and then in Feburary/March knowing O'Connell will be back again, hence spending big money on a replacement would arguably be unwise. Therefore a loan was more likely, I'm sure Wilder did all he could and clearly indicated that it wasn't possible with current constraints from the wage structure to bring in someone that could do a job.

Burke has offered us creativity and again if people think he was Wilder's first choice you're very much mistaken, I'm not saying you are saying that but my guess is that Wilder knew it was a long shot. What would you rather? Us sign no one instead? I haven't seen another player leave the Championship since we've been promoted to the PL that we could attract that would improve us. The likes of Cash, Robinson and Watkins would and we all know they chose elsewhere.

Ampadu was brought for defensive cover but because of injuries and lack of form to Norwood and the Lunny situation, Ampadu has played regularly in midfield. He is supposed to be very highly rated by Chelsea and their fans said he is a very good player in the making.

I don't blame our board for this mess, but if they're waiting with baited breath for his next signings suggestions I think it would help if they backed his first choices more, but that would obviously mean we had to double our wage structure. What else do you want Wilder to do to get in players he wants that are the top of his priortiy list?!

‘One thing not mentioned much is the problem if transfer windows. If you get injuries just after the window closes or just before it closes (O'Connell) you need more players due to lack of form, whatever reason, then you're screwed until January and this suits the bigger clubs with much more quality throughout their squad. To go back to your first point on cover if we didn't have transfer windows we could go with a smaller squad and not need to spend millions on back-up players because we could bring in players on a needs basis, rather than for cover. Why the existing transfer window system is in place is beynd me, it only makes it easier for the bugger clubs.’

That’s the difference between this season and the Bassett season. Bassett was able to sign reinforcements like Gayle without having to wait for the window to open.

‘One thing not mentioned much is the problem if transfer windows. If you get injuries just after the window closes or just before it closes (O'Connell) you need more players due to lack of form, whatever reason, then you're screwed until January and this suits the bigger clubs with much more quality throughout their squad. To go back to your first point on cover if we didn't have transfer windows we could go with a smaller squad and not need to spend millions on back-up players because we could bring in players on a needs basis, rather than for cover. Why the existing transfer window system is in place is beynd me, it only makes it easier for the bugger clubs.’

That’s the difference between this season and the Bassett season. Bassett was able to sign reinforcements like Gayle without having to wait for the window to open.
I can't even remember why transfer windows were brought in, how are they supposed to be good for the game, other than for the big clubs?!

Personally I’m bored of hearing about O’Connell’s injury.

O’Connell’s injury hasn’t caused our midfielders to go into hiding, our strikers to become allergic to scoring, Wilder’s shite tactics and signings or the loss of fighting team spirit we once had.
I agree, but even a big streak of piss who can head the ball would have saved us half a dozen points this season. We have tried five players in this position and all have been poor. Opponents know where to exploit us defensively and also stack their defence towards the right hand side because we are so unbalanced. Incredibly, I would say Ke-an has been the least bad, although that is kind of like being the best looking man in your local Wetherspoons. Lowe actually made me laugh out loud during one game as he randomly chased the ball around like a Jack Russell.

I could stick to Leicester......
Or Liverpool.....

Two sides that have had the majority of their back 4 missing all season, missing better players that are just as vital as JOC to their squads, but they sit 1st and 3rd currently.

That tells me that sides with enough quality in other areas of the pitch, can get positive results with 1 key player injured.
The difference is those sides have goalscorers, Blades do not.
It’s THE Blades

Here is the issue laid bare from yesterday and I'm not trying to be contraversial for the sake of it so I'll caveat all comments with 'right now', be that form, fitness or ability:

Ramsdale - not good enough
Baldock - good enough
Basham - good enough
Egan - good enough
Robinson - not good enough
Stevens - not good enough
Ampadu - not good enough
Osborn - not good enough
McGoldrick - good enough
Brewster - not good enough
Mousset - not good enough

Now some of those are capable of being good enough and need to book their ideas up quick sharp. Some aren't and that's for the manager to be ruthless and move on. I acknowledge Ramsdale did well though yesterday but he hasn't had a good season so far.

But when you've got 4 players carrying 7 then you're going to do very well to win through.

As with most failures, it's a combo of things:

• Not adding any PL quality over the summer
  • Losing quality from the squad in the form of JOC and Hendo
  • The board not being prepared to pay for PL quality (wages)
  • Not prioritising replacing JOC (Wilder knew he was struggling from the last lockdown)
  • The board not providing extra funds to replace JOC in the final week of the window (once CW realised the above error)
  • Missing out on our first targets (Cash, Swift, Wilson) and having to turn to third/fouth choices (average Championship players)
  • Mis-prioritising of squad 'strengthening', ignoring a struggling midfield and prioritising cover for positions that were not a priority
  • The aquired 'cover' not being PL standard (Lowe etc)
  • Assuming players such as Stevens, Fleck could continue punching above their level
  • No fans in the ground - losing our 12th man
  • CW sticking to a system despite no longer having the players to fit the system (Robinson, Ampadu)
  • Loss of confidence/form in players
  • Players making ridiculous mistakes
  • Injuries
  • Not moving on players who needed moving on (Rodwell, Jags)
  • The b*stard football gods

I can't even remember why transfer windows were brought in, how are they supposed to be good for the game, other than for the big clubs?!
Big clubs were buying the best players from the smaller sides in the middle of the season which was seen as unfair. The one that sticks in my mind was Scott Parker who was orchestrating a successful season for Charlton until Chelsea bought him, which ruined Charlton’s season and then he never really did well at Chelsea so it benefitted no one.
I think the PL was also under pressure from UEFA as a lot of the continental teams already had windows and I guess they were concerned about players going to PL clubs while their windows were shut so they couldn’t bring in a replacement.

Who’s blaming it on bad luck.

I know it's not easy to sign players at this level but so far this season we've played Ampadu, Bryan, Stevens Robinson and Jagielka as the 3rd center back and they're all well below premier league level at that position. We need at least one defensively capable center back as cover even if it's a right footer that can't overlap. As for the 4-2-3-1 Fleck definitely doesn't have the pace or skill to play out wide and Burke has no end product. Our best chance imo is a diamond midfield so we don't have to play wingers or 3 center backs.

Back
Top Bottom