Why have we won nowt for years an years?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

beightonblade

On yer bike !
Reaction score
Is it bad luck? ,lack of ambition? or what............ i can't figure it out.
We've paid big wages an got nowt,paid low wages and got nowt,had shit managers and got nowt,had good managers and got nowt,had shit chairmen got nowt, had a saviour and got nowt.

So why have we won fcuk all?

Cos other teams have won the things we've been trying to win.
Simples!

true teams like:

Ipswich, Norwich, Fulham, Charlton, Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Southampton, Wendy, Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Derby, WBA, Wolves, Luton, Oxford, Wimbledon, QPR, Middlesbro, Coventry, Hull, Stoke, Crystal Palace and Birmingham.

true teams like:

Ipswich, Norwich, Fulham, Charlton, Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Southampton, Wendy, Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Derby, WBA, Wolves, Luton, Oxford, Wimbledon, QPR, Middlesbro, Coventry, Hull, Stoke, Crystal Palace and Birmingham.

You Missed Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and others from your list,
Which I assume was written so we look at the teams and think oh they aren't as good as us so we should have won something.

You Missed Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and others from your list,
Which I assume was written so we look at the teams and think oh they aren't as good as us so we should have won something.

He does have a point though. Quite why he has to make it twenty times a day i don't know....

He does have a point though. Quite why he has to make it twenty times a day i don't know....

That is my main gripe with BB and other like minded posters i don't mind them having an opinion on anything whether i agree with it or not, but when it's repeated in various guises day after day t'is boring and a waste of Kilobytes on the interweb!

We won the fourth division title back in 1981, what more do you want?
Give some of the other teams a chance for god's sake.

Fulham, Wigan, QPR, Hull, and Crystal Palace have never won anything at all, Beighton. Well, none of the 3 big domestic trophies.

Why have we won nothing for years? a combination of reasons:

Bad luck in semi finals (1961, 2003)
Unlucky draws in semi finals (1993, 1998 and particularly 2003, where we got Arsenal and not Watford or Southampton)
Unlucky draws in 5th round when there were hardly any top division sides left (1992, 2008)
Terrible Cup performances when we were a good side (1971-75)
Inexplicable last 8 defeat to lower divison team when there were no good teams left in the Cup (1947, 1959)
Japan didn't get defeated in time to allow us to win the League instead of League North (1946)
Lack of investment (most of the post war period)

Fulham, Wigan, QPR, Hull, and Crystal Palace have never won anything at all, Beighton. Well, none of the 3 big domestic trophies.

aye alreight but they've spent more time in the 'top league' than us in recent times.
You get the drift anyway.

Unlucky draws in semi finals (1993, 1998 and particularly 2003, where we got Arsenal and not Watford or Southampton)
Unlucky draws in 5th round when there were hardly any top division sides left (1992, 2008)
Inexplicable last 8 defeat to lower divison team when there were no good teams left in the Cup (1947, 1959)
Japan didn't get defeated in time to allow us to win the League instead of League North (1946)

Point of order - QPR won the League Cup in 67 and have been to at least one FA Cup Final since then.
Palace, Wigan and Fulham have all been to cup finals since as well - only Hull haven't.

Point of order - QPR won the League Cup in 67 and have been to at least one FA Cup Final since then.

forgot about that, sorry.

Palace, Wigan and Fulham have all been to cup finals since as well - only Hull haven't.

I know. They didn't win the relevant finals though, so they have won nothing, as I said.

I think it's 39 teams that have won something since we last did, and 49 teams have reached a final since we last did - including such luminaries as Oldham, Swindon, Rochdale, Cardiff and Rotherham.

Hull are a rival of ours for biggest underachievers tag. Bristol City are up there as well.

No, it's not bad luck...no, we don't lack ambition.
We do lack the people who know how to achieve ambitious things.
That includes McCabe...on the football pitch.
That includes managers who say that they know exactly what Sheffield United fans want...and then present us with hoofball...the exact opposite of what most of us want.
Very depressing.

sorry i'd delete Hull, Wigan and fulham from that as staying in the top flight after going up is as good if not better that winning something.

No, it's not bad luck...no, we don't lack ambition.
We do lack the people who know how to achieve ambitious things.
That includes McCabe...on the football pitch.
That includes managers who say that they know exactly what Sheffield United fans want...and then present us with hoofball...the exact opposite of what most of us want.
Very depressing.

I think I'm going to be controversial (and under-researched).

I'd include the fans and in general the people of Sheffield. We fall into one of two camps - happy to accept all sorts, or never happy unless moaning.

Sheffield - much as I love it - is an under-performing city in terms of it's size and location. Yes Thatcher raped us - but Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle and to an extent Nottingham have all bounced back bigger, fitter and better equipped for the modern world from similar decline.

I think we are destined to always be a big city with a small-town outlook - little mesters. Our clubs reflect this. Discuss.

That is my main gripe with BB and other like minded posters i don't mind them having an opinion on anything whether i agree with it or not, but when it's repeated in various guises day after day t'is boring and a waste of Kilobytes on the interweb!

Don't you know he's very lonely and gert's not opnin so he wants some man love because he's fed up with the Smurf hat now.:D

Back
Top Bottom