Who would you have bought......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1066blade

Reaction score
OK, the mutterings are afoot amongst some, - let's face it, this is new territory for the Blades, this purchase has multiplied Warnock's
PL £2m gambles on the likes of Luton Shelton by the power of 10.
So, you've got £20m to 'spunk' on one player, if not McBurnie, who would you rather have bought, and why?

Joe Hart, loads of caps for England, played in the PL forever.

Mustafi. Arsenal don't want him and he's played for Arsenal so he must be brilliant. International class. Gary Cahill too.

Tom Huddlestone and Mikel in midfield. Yet again, PL quality players.

Shane Long and Danny Welbeck up front. Loads of PL experience, lots of goals there

I'd also get rid of Wilder and bring in Sam Allardyce.

I think McBurnie will do well, but someone proven in the prem would be less of a risk.

I'd have seen if I could snatch Ings transfer away from Southampton (went for same price, doubtful he'd pick us instead but you never know). Or perhaps Charlie Austin, he wouldnt be worth 20 mil, but if I could get him for around 10 mil I would.

I think McBurnie will do well, but someone proven in the prem would be less of a risk.

I'd have seen if I could snatch Ings transfer away from Southampton (went for same price, doubtful he'd pick us instead but you never know). Or perhaps Charlie Austin, he wouldnt be worth 20 mil, but if I could get him for around 10 mil I would.
Wheres Danny Ings been for the last 2-3 years?

Didn't know that, i just remember he was the next big thing then he disappeared off the radar (injured?)

Yeah, he spent years at Liverpool doing nothing. Injury, and just not as good as Liverpools other strikers.

Souyampton have signed him for 20 mil this season.

Jordan Rhodes. Proven goalscorer who has scored shitloads in the last few seasons and would be a snip b at 10 mill.
Guaranteed to be a bargain at that ptice.

This is NOT a pop at the signing. Just an open debate regarding the enourmaty of th signing. When you think you can get two recent England internationals who were transferred this week for a combined fee of less than £20m, it certainly generates debate.

Mustafi. Arsenal don't want him and he's played for Arsenal so he must be brilliant. International class. Gary Cahill too.

Shane Long and Danny Welbeck up front. Loads of PL experience, lots of goals there

Otherwise known as the 'Wednesday way' spunking muneh at those who are past it.

Jesus wept. Austin and Ings? The former hasn't done it for years, the latter might but might also hit injury. I'll take McBurnie thanks!!

If you'd asked me who Wilder's most likely targets were at the start of the summer I'd have said Freeman, Robinson, McBurnie. To have got all 3 is pretty astonishing to be honest. Only Mousset is out of left field and even then we've been linked with him on loan before

They, plus the other signings fit exactly what we need. They know the English game and can hit the ground running. Wolves can afford to pay £20m for Curtone and have him not play a single minute this season. We need every £ we spend to contribute. By that metric I think this is as good chance as we could have given ourselves.

It's always a risk but of the players weve paid money for, my only doubt over a positive contribution is Mousset, and that's only because we don't know a lot about him.

Personal I think all 8 are great signing why because they want to wear the red and white stripes that's good enough for me

I'm still seeing Mousset as a gamble which we didn't need to take but as ever hope I'm proved wrong.

Thank fuck we've got McBurnie because there was a serious shortage of alternatives. Hence the inflated fee.

Had we not got him I would've probably looked to spread that spend over more areas. Marriott, Rothwell, Bowen and M.Phillips are some I'd have considered.

Wilder did a smart thing bringing in Mousset when he did because he was a good one to fall back on in the event of missing out on either Maupay OR McBurnie because he comes somewhere in between them in terms of his player type.

I don't remember ever feeling so happy with a transfer window. What I like about Wilder is that he (more or less) sees exactly what the fans see and I think that's incredibly rare in a manager who often becomes stubborn and blinded.

We all knew that over the two last seasons we lacked pace and could only score goals through sustained periods of pressure. He's addressed that with his signings.

Most of think that the last couple of pieces of the jigsaw now are someone to compete with Norwood and someone to challenge on the right side of our defence. Next thing you know, the paper is linking us with Amartey, Kalvin Phillips and Matt Phillips. If we get a couple of them, or players like them, then I'm really liking the look of what we've got.

My only fear is that we've signed a lot of players, I have no clue what our strongest XI is, they haven't played together in pre-season yet & we have a very unique style. We also have a decent run of games to start with, it would be bad if we miss out on points due to teething problems.

Oli McBurnie

Agree.....Wilder explained in the interview the reasons why he’s been bought is because he fits their search criteria model.
Wilder doesn’t just go out and buy good players.....it’s all about strategic planning.

Is McBurnie young and likely to improve in the future? Check
Is his value likely to increase, so although we’ve arguably overpaid he can still be seen as an investment? Check
Is McBurnie an international, so will learn and gain experience playing abroad against foreign players? Check
Does McBurnie has a great personality that will boost the already fantastic team spirit? Check
Is McBurnie hungry, a winner/bad loser with passion and desire to succeed? Check
Is McBurnie a hard worker, who will defend when needed and close down players? Check
Is McBurnie versatile, so he can play as number 9 or number 10, he can play as a target man and also be a creator? Check

The above of some of the reasons we’ve chosen McBurnie over other targets.

I'm still seeing Mousset as a gamble which we didn't need to take but as ever hope I'm proved wrong.

yeah, he's the one big question mark I have. I know you can't read too much into his lack of goals for Bournemouth, but for that price, surely there were better and less-risky options. Jay Rodriguez moving to Burnley for 5 mil up front and 5 in a year springs to mind.

Thank fuck we've got McBurnie because there was a serious shortage of alternatives. Hence the inflated fee.

Had we not got him I would've probably looked to spread that spend over more areas. Marriott, Rothwell, Bowen and M.Phillips are some I'd have considered.

Wilder did a smart thing bringing in Mousset when he did because he was a good one to fall back on in the event of missing out on either Maupay OR McBurnie because he comes somewhere in between them in terms of his player type.

I hope Mousset, in particular, does very well, because S2 knives are sharpened for him already. They can’t wait.

Yes, and after signing that load of shit we could then have signed Adrian fucking Durham as a mouthpiece to tell the world how seriously we are taking the Premier League

I don't remember ever feeling so happy with a transfer window. What I like about Wilder is that he (more or less) sees exactly what the fans see

Really? Which fans? The sensible ones or the numpties? The advocates of proper football or the hoofers? There is no such genome as ‘the fans’.

What about the outbreak of gerritinearly madness last season? Tufty rightly described it as “noise and nonsense”.

Do the ‘fans’ see the same John Lundstram? Or Gary Madine? I could go on. I suspect your concept of ‘fans’ is those who think the same as you?

I'm over the moon with the signings. My fear though is that we take some time to gel and don't hit the ground running. Our first 6 or so games are very kind and we really do need to pick up some points. I fear if we have some teething problems and start slowly (like we did in Wilder's first season, and last season - the one in between wasn't too bad) then we could end up needing to take points off the big boys and playing catch up. That is one of the reasons I want Duff to stay. He's a safe option until the others get up to speed on how we play.

Overall though, I'm delighted with the transfer window. We are definitely stronger than we have been for many a year.

Really? Which fans? The sensible ones or the numpties? The advocates of proper football or the hoofers? There is no such genome as ‘the fans’.

What about the outbreak of gerritinearly madness last season? Tufty rightly described it as “noise and nonsense”.

Do the ‘fans’ see the same John Lundstram? Or Gary Madine? I could go on. I suspect your concept of ‘fans’ is those who think the same as you?

Apologies, next time I will write "the general consensus amongst (what I perceive to be) the majority of fans...

Back
Top Bottom