Who was last “proven” player we bought?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Benefited from a lot of managers coming and going at Everton, bit like Bobby Ford did for us despite being mediocre.
None the less, 155 premier league appearances speaks volumes, whatever excuses are drummed up.

And he won’t he expected to perform in the premier league next year. Plenty of good championship players can’t nearly make the grade, as we’ve found out.

Our transfer policy changes dependant on what level we're at

In division 4 and div 3 (league 1) we were a massive fish in a small pond so could easily attract the best players from that league and could even attract players for the 2nd tier. In the 2nd tier we've always generally targeted players proven at that level.

In the PL, the only way you'll attract proven PL players is to pay salaries of £50K to £80K a week.
We can't think about paying out those wages to numerous players until we are established in the PL.

So our transfer policy has been to have one eye on relegation back to the Championship, which is common sense, good business sense.
So we've generally targeted to stars from the Championship, the logic is if we are relegated then at least we'll have players who were impressive at that level, meaning a bounce back promotion is realistic. Our buys have also had an onus towards younger players with potential.

Hence players like McBurnie and Brewster were great for 1 season in the Championship, still very young. So we took the gamble.

Think the general transfer policy has been sound, it the choice of player that's let us down.
Younger players are notoriously inconsistent and more likely to be ONE season wonders
however we hoped that buying a player young means they are more likely to retain or increase their value.

This is the wrong question. It should be who was the last unproven player who turned out to be really good or a snip at the price? Our problem is that we keep buying “proven” players at over inflated prices who turn out to be shit. Our recruitment has been awful since we bought Egan. Getting rid of recruitment department has been long overdue. Look at teams like Luton for how to do recruitment.

The answer is again, Oliver Norwood.

Probably Curry or Hutchenson ....maybe Calvert?

Our transfer policy changes dependant on what level we're at

In division 4 and div 3 (league 1) we were a massive fish in a small pond so could easily attract the best players from that league and could even attract players for the 2nd tier. In the 2nd tier we've always generally targeted players proven at that level.

In the PL, the only way you'll attract proven PL players is to pay salaries of £50K to £80K a week.
We can't think about paying out those wages to numerous players until we are established in the PL.

So our transfer policy has been to have one eye on relegation back to the Championship, which is common sense, good business sense.
So we've generally targeted to stars from the Championship, the logic is if we are relegated then at least we'll have players who were impressive at that level, meaning a bounce back promotion is realistic. Our buys have also had an onus towards younger players with potential.

Hence players like McBurnie and Brewster were great for 1 season in the Championship, still very young. So we took the gamble.

Think the general transfer policy has been sound, it the choice of player that's let us down.
Younger players are notoriously inconsistent and more likely to be ONE season wonders
however we hoped that buying a player young means they are more likely to retain or increase their value.
I agree tbh , its just that we dont have an effective recruiting infrastructure to meet the plan / vision

None the less, 155 premier league appearances speaks volumes, whatever excuses are drummed up.

And he won’t he expected to perform in the premier league next year. Plenty of good championship players can’t nearly make the grade, as we’ve found out.

I just think if you asked Everton fans if he was "proven" as per the OP's meaning, they would say no.

I just think if you asked Everton fans if he was "proven" as per the OP's meaning, they would say no.
I’m sure you’d get a range of opinion, on average negative. He is forn dipped towards the end with injuries etc., and that’s what’s remembered.

But 155 factual premier league appearances dwarfs anything our current players could dream of, so to me he’s an asset with potential.

James chuffing Beattie

James Beattie was too good for the Championship when we signed him. We landed a Premier League player still in their prime somewhat and who really didn't need to drop down a division. Most of Robson's signings were actually very good just he was a shockingly crap manager.

Willie Carlin great little player. Saw him and TC take Man U apart at Old Trafford, even though we lost 1-0. Matt Busby said we should have won that game. Unfortunately Woody had a nightmare and missed a load of chances. We sat on the old Stretford End seating above the kop.

Sadly now going the same way as Fleck did and overstaying his welcome somewhat.

Awful to see our legends from Wilder's first spell just going through the motions as age catches up with them.
100%...

Benefited from a lot of managers coming and going at Everton, bit like Bobby Ford did for us despite being mediocre.
On the other hand you could argue that he was selected to start premier league games by numerous different managers and therefore must have something about him...

On the other hand you could argue that he was selected to start premier league games by numerous different managers and therefore must have something about him...

6 starts for Everton in 21/22 and 22/23 combined (subbed off 4 times). He's 25 now. Basically they had a kid who made his first team debut aged 17. They hoped to have a wunderkid on their hands, and for a few years he was doing "alright for his age" so they persevered.. but he kept getting older and the performances didn't improve, so he became a bit part player the last 2 seasons (presumably no one was interested to take him off Everton hands given he'd have been on a "wunderkid" contract so he just had to wait for the contract to expire).

Who ?

Ffs Blade 56

Tell him 😂😂😂😂
I’m in the middle of my BIR Curry thread and training, add that to my dylixecsia and I’ve got a reasonable excuse B4 but come on CURRY? It’s like spelling Woodward MDF.

Having written Curry dozens of times in my latest BIR curry thread, watched dozens of curry videos, read dozens of curry books it was a simple slip on the keyboard to get his name wrong. It could have been worse, I could have claimed our best signing was Pork Pie.

6 starts for Everton in 21/22 and 22/23 combined (subbed off 4 times). He's 25 now. Basically they had a kid who made his first team debut aged 17. They hoped to have a wunderkid on their hands, and for a few years he was doing "alright for his age" so they persevered.. but he kept getting older and the performances didn't improve, so he became a bit part player the last 2 seasons (presumably no one was interested to take him off Everton hands given he'd have been on a "wunderkid" contract so he just had to wait for the contract to expire).
Wunderkind - not wunderkid

You could say this season both Hamer and Archer were proven players... "at Championship level". The jury is out whether they could be considered a success in the PL.

Prior to them - McBurnie, Luke Freeman and Brewster had all proved themselves at Championship level.

Egan and Norwood were very good signings for the Championship. Norwood had more than proved himself at that level.

Then back into League 1 days...
Fleck, Duffy, Sharp and Clarke.

Late 1990s we signed loads - Bent, Deane, Fjortoft, Devlin, McGrath, Cowans, White, Ebbrell ( :rolleyes: )

Bob Hatton, proven in his earlier days alongside a young Trevor Francis and a great servant to us. With Keith Edwards made a great striking partnership in the Div 4 season. Why did Porterfield ship him out and bring that crock Alan Young in? Hatton went to Cardiff and helped them to promotion if memory serves me right.

Trying to think who the last “proven” player was we bought.

Suppose “proven” needs defining first ie

Not a “promising” player
Not a lower leaguer
Not one that seemed like a big name but flopped eg Leon Britton
Not a journeyman at end of career looking for a payday eg Leon Clarke
Not a loan player eg MacAtee

Was it John Egan? International, record signing ever present until injury.
Was it YAF? Proven goal scorer?
Is Billy “a “proven” player or a journeyman that found his slot at third attempt?
was Ade Akinbiyi a “proven” player or middle for diddle journeyman?
Even Curry was a promising youngster
Norwood all day

Back
Top Bottom