The annual writing off of William Sharp Esq

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
It happens every year.

Some young pretender, flavour of the month gets bought in yet despite the constant desire of the previous manager to sideline him, Billy Sharp remains our most likely source of goals in the Championship in my view.

Rather than rush to push him out the door, we should be savouring every last drop of Chateau Sharp while we still can, such a rare generational vintage that he is.

Cometh the moment , cometh the man. Last minute penalty to keep you in it? He's your man. Not even a half chance in a must win game - back of the net, see you Baggies.

For all the talk of Brewster doing well for half a season, McBurnie doing well in the Championship before moving to ourselves and all the other options, he is the one man if you create the chances, he'll do the rest.

We spent 55m. We didn't do it wisely. But rather than spend so much, I still don't get why Billy was on the bench vs Bournemouth that first game. First season back in the Championship he was second fiddle to Leon quite often. It seemed Chris just courted opportunities to put him to one side and pull rank. I still can't accept James Wilson getting the run out vs the Pigs over him.

For a smaller guy, he's a clinical header as he is finisher with his feet. He wouldn't have been hitting the bar v West Ham like McBurnie or letting the ball get stuck in his legs like Brewster vs Bristol. He might not be able to score the goal Mouse did v Man U, but give me a great goal scorer over a 46 game season rather than a scorer of great goals.

I'd love to see Jebbo but talk of a loan to Sunderland might be the making of him.

I don't see Burke as a striker. Either a wide player or not at all.

But for me, at this level, you can do far worse than ride once more with the Rolls Royce that is Didzy and the consumate Bagsman, our no 10, the Skipper, Billy the Blade, Sir William Sharp!

It happens every year.

Some young pretender, flavour of the month gets bought in yet despite the constant desire of the previous manager to sideline him, Billy Sharp remains our most likely source of goals in the Championship in my view.

Rather than rush to push him out the door, we should be savouring every last drop of Chateau Sharp while we still can, such a rare generational vintage that he is.

Cometh the moment , cometh the man. Last minute penalty to keep you in it? He's your man. Not even a half chance in a must win game - back of the net, see you Baggies.

For all the talk of Brewster doing well for half a season, McBurnie doing well in the Championship before moving to ourselves and all the other options, he is the one man if you create the chances, he'll do the rest.

We spent 55m. We didn't do it wisely. But rather than spend so much, I still don't get why Billy was on the bench vs Bournemouth that first game. First season back in the Championship he was second fiddle to Leon quite often. It seemed Chris just courted opportunities to put him to one side and pull rank. I still can't accept James Wilson getting the run out vs the Pigs over him.

For a smaller guy, he's a clinical header as he is finisher with his feet. He wouldn't have been hitting the bar v West Ham like McBurnie or letting the ball get stuck in his legs like Brewster vs Bristol. He might not be able to score the goal Mouse did v Man U, but give me a great goal scorer over a 46 game season rather than a scorer of great goals.

I'd love to see Jebbo but talk of a loan to Sunderland might be the making of him.

But for me, at this level, you can do far worse than ride once more with the Rolls Royce that is Didzy and the consumate Bagsman, our no 10, the Skipper, Billy the Blade, Sir William Sharp!
Apologists in 3,2,1 ………..

😀.

UTB297A5204-1DD1-48BC-A949-6022E0E042D4.jpegC664CAB9-B048-4969-8635-E73A5A238E98.jpeg

Last edited:
It happens every year.

55m spent and he's still the most natural, gifted finishers at the club. Absolute fox in the box. Lean, mean, total fuckin bagsman machine is Bill.

BS was at his prime when Mark Duffy was playing as a 10 behind him. In our promotion year we started the first 2 games without both of them in the team and lost. On their return we went on a winning run and the rest is history.

The flat midfield 3 killed off any chance of BS scoring on a regular basis. In fact it killed off chances being created in general. Change the formation to suit him with a 10 provider or two wide players in a front three banging in first time crosses and he will score on a regular basis.

SJ should consider giving him a coaching role with the forwards as he has been one of the best finishers at the Club since I have been watching.

Love Billy Sharp but IF he and McGoldrick leave we move on. There comes a time when you have to cut the cord. If we are serious about a quick return to the Premier League we need to do it with a squad that’s capable and prepared. If they stay and we go up, fantastic , but we then have to start looking again for strikers who are up to playing in the highest league , Chris Wilder found out just what a nightmare job that was. Only my opinion but let’s get it right this season and don’t lets get sentimental over players we HAVE admired. BILLY SHARP does and will score goals wherever he plays.
UTB.

Will always score goals with the right service, never relied on pace but given a chance in the box chances are he will score...................Sir Billy Blade! UTB

Sharp will be our second (maybe third) highest goal scorer next season. He'll still get double digits. It'll be the usual, doesn't start much early on, but forces his way in and bags.

Does anyone have any information as to how his recovery from the operation has gone and how close he might be to match fitness ?

I’m hoping both are positive as I believe he could still have a big part to play if we are to be successful in the coming season .

Does anyone have any information as to how his recovery from the operation has gone and how close he might be to match fitness ?

I’m hoping both are positive as I believe he could still have a big part to play if we are to be successful in the coming season .
He’s almost fit, all his varicose veins have been removed but he’ll miss a couple of weeks in October when he’s having his cataracts done.

I know this is bait, but whats Billy lost with age? Nothing.

Our style might even suit a poacher next season. I think he could have a big part to play again towards promotion.
I don’t think many would disagree with you or have written him off they just don’t see him as our future or someone who is going to start 40 games. He’ll play an important part but as you say the OP is bait.

If we're playing 3-4-3 then I suspect any contributions he makes this season are likely to come from the bench if we change formation.

If we play the way jokanovic's teams have in the past I can't see us struggling for goals. In which case we may aswell give them to the players who potentially will be with us going forward. Sharp isn't premier league quality, the others potentially could be.

I don’t think many would disagree with you or have written him off they just don’t see him as our future or someone who is going to start 40 games. He’ll play an important part but as you say the OP is bait.
Why do you say it's bait?

It has literally happened every year with the manager or the fans looking for a new striker when we've had an amazing finisher in our midst all the time.

Far too easily pushed aside. He gets 23 goals to get us promoted yet in the very next match, the first of the new season he's already benched? That wouldn't happen at any other promoted club.

Following year while the newbies couldn't last the pace he still came in and outscored McBurnie and Mousset combined.

I personally think he got a bit of a raw deal at times, the James Wilson sub v Wednesday was unforgivable. Then rather than making sure we created enough for him to get the service he thrives on we were spending over 50m to poorly replace him.

If given the same amount of starts he'd still finish top scorer this season. By far the most likely guy to get a goal when you need it or put away a high pressure penalty.

I hope Slav thinks age is just a number and gives him his due.

Why do you say it's bait?

It has literally happened every year with the manager or the fans looking for a new striker when we've had an amazing finisher in our midst all the time.

Far too easily pushed aside. He gets 23 goals to get us promoted yet in the very next match, the first of the new season he's already benched? That wouldn't happen at any other promoted club.

Following year while the newbies couldn't last the pace he still came in and outscored McBurnie and Mousset combined.

I personally think he got a bit of a raw deal at times, the James Wilson sub v Wednesday was unforgivable. Then rather than making sure we created enough for him to get the service he thrives on we were spending over 50m to poorly replace him.

If given the same amount of starts he'd still finish top scorer this season. By far the most likely guy to get a goal when you need it or put away a high pressure penalty.

I hope Slav thinks age is just a number and gives him his due.

Regards finishing Sharp is the best at the club and still one of the best there is.
His style reminds me of Keith Edwards, set him up with a decent chance and usually he’ll score.

However football has changed regards strikers in the last few years.
Striking partnerships have gone out of fashion, scoring headers from crosses also out of fashion.
Now in fashion is strikers are expected to press and close down/ tackle opposition defenders (something Keith Edwards could never do).
Strikers are expected to come deep and even help out defending.
A common tactic these days is counter attack…so strikers are often expected to be quick.

Regards Sharp….if we create plenty of chances and manage to set him up he’ll be a big asset.
I expect him to be more successful during home matches…where his predator Instinct can find a bit of space.
In away games if we don’t see much of the ball (like Edwards) he can go missing…..but then pop up with a tap in.
So for me….if he was a big success next season I wouldn’t be surprised…but if he struggles I also wouldn‘t be surprised.
I expect SJ will use him mainly as sub….but if any strikers struggle to impress then the subs should be given a chance to claim their place.

Agree…Sharp should be given a chance….but Sharp‘s success isn’t down to Sharp….it all depends if we can dominate games and set him up.

sharp and burke will be on the bench more often than not imo but both could still be vital for us coming on for the last 20 minutes

Back
Top Bottom