Who’s on the way then?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grizzly blade

Reaction score
I understood Wilder interview yesterday to mean we will be looking to sell some players due to their contract situation.

So, who, where and for how much do we think?

My suggestions-
1. Basham- To Leeds- for £4m
Rationale. Leeds will need to tighten up at the back. Bash is a top defender, plays high energy game and would fit in with how Bielsa plays IMHO. Sadly, I’m worried Bash is at an age where he needs to look after his own interests while he can, and would probably get the big signing on fee and double his wages at Leeds.
I would be gutted.

2. Egan- To Everton- £16m
Bigger club, has more money and desires on breaking into the top 6. Top manager too. So obvious draw for Egan.
Fee fairly low, but given he’s approaching his last year, our need to freshen the squad and the lack of options and time to do it I could see us having hard ball played and having to give in.

Just a gut feeling these, what’s your tips? I see there being a bit of a shock coming

I understood Wilder interview yesterday to mean we will be looking to sell some players due to their contract situation.

My suggestions-
Rationale. Leeds will need to tighten up at the back. Bash is a top defender, plays high energy game and would fit in with how Bielsa plays IMHO. Sadly, I’m worried Bash is at an age where he needs to look after his own interests while he can, and would probably get the big signing on fee and double his wages at Leeds.
I would be gutted.

Bigger club, has more money and desires on breaking into the top 6. Top manager too. So obvious draw for Egan.
Fee fairly low, but given he’s approaching his last year, our need to freshen the squad and the lack of options and time to do it I could see us having hard ball played and having to give in.

Just a gut feeling these, what’s your tips? I see there being a bit of a shock coming

Hopefully we'll recoup similar fees for what we paid for the Moose and Robinson and then spend that money on the team. In terms of players most likely to leave for bigger things, I'd expect that JOC will have a few suitors this season; he should do after the season he's had.

I don’t see us getting much interest in Mousset at all. Honestly think we are stuck with him and he will just be out on loan somewhere.
Same for Robinson. Unless we are prepared to take a hit, maybe what we’ve paid out so far (we won’t have paid his full fee up front) we will end up with him out on loan again.

Agree about JOC, however I feel he’s not so daft and realises he’s at the club and with the manager that is playing to his strengths and making the headlines. He’s currently the big fish! Think we will get at least another season out of him.

basham to leeds for 4m is one of the strangest suggestions to be posted on a message board and that's including 10+ years of blades mad.

I know, but not so unrealistic if you think about it.
I don’t see a top side coming in for him. That won’t happen, regardless of how he’s performed this year fans of those biggest clubs just wouldn’t accept Basham as being good enough.
That leaves who in the premier league? I don’t see him relocating south. Maybe a big spending Champ side might offer him a 3/4 year deal? But after Covid I don’t think there will be many if any of those. (Plus he won’t give up on the premier now after finally getting back there)

Another promoted team?
No, I thought this through and given what he’s done this season would definitely add to their team. He would be Fairly cheap and allow Leeds to spend money on other areas of their team, theN there’s the draw Bielsa seems to have....I just have a feeling Bash might be tempted away for a deal Wilder isn’t prepared to give him.

It’s a bit of speculation.
yes some of those on the fringes will go but they won’t be raising the kind of monies we need to strengthen up front and make us more of a threat!
They might not even be a saleable asset and end up on loan!
I’m looking at this from the view that the only players assured to have genuine interest are those who have excelled. Wilder had said some will go to protect the club. That means those who we could lose for zero if we don’t act now.

If we sold Basham and Egan for a combined fee of 20m then we might as well pack up and go back the championship already.

I wouldn't take a penny less than 50m for Egan and wouldn't even contemplate selling Basham like O Connell he is pivotal in the way we play.

Egan has 2 more years left on his current contract so I would think he'll only leave if a big money offer comes in or he agitates for a move.
Same goes for JOC who has 3 years left.
I would hope they will agree to the improved terms on offer.
That leaves Basham with only 1 year left as the most at risk IMHO.
I agree the others likely to leave to generate funds would be Freeman, Mousset, Lundstram and Robinson. Out of those I'd be most sorry to see Freeman go.

£16m for Egan?
We don't have McCabe at the club anymore. The days of us under selling our better players have gone.

Moussett is more likely to goto Leeds than Basham. Proven goal scorer at the top level.

We are more likely to sell CR & Freeman than Egan.

Egan has 2 more years left on his current contract so I would think he'll only leave if a big money offer comes in or he agitates for a move.
Same goes for JOC who has 3 years left.
I would hope they will agree to the improved terms on offer.
That leaves Basham with only 1 year left as the most at risk IMHO.
I agree the others likely to leave to generate funds would be Freeman, Mousset, Lundstram and Robinson. Out of those I'd be most sorry to see Freeman go.

Agree with all this. Bash to Newcastle could appeal to him. Last move, to his origins, with a payday to boot .

Egan? £16million? He’s worth more to us than that but to everyone else he is isn’t worth £10m

I love the guy but he’s not at their level. Look at that young kid they played he’s better than Egan now. Egan is very good in a 3 man defence. In a 2 man defence him and JoC are not at a top club level.

As I've said elsewhere, Bash will not work aswell elsewhere unless it's a back 3 with license to push forward. He's perfect for our system. This is also a detriment to him as not many other teams play that way and so I think the interest is overstated.

I think we'll come to an agreement with him and he'll get another 2 years on top of his existing 1. He's easily fit enough to last another year or two as a starter and will be excellent backup after that.

Of those in contract, I see Lunny, C Robinson, Moose and possibly L Freeman going. All would be a pity in varying ways.

As to Egan for 16m 😳

Egan? £16million? He’s worth more to us than that but to everyone else he is isn’t worth £10m

I love the guy but he’s not at their level. Look at that young kid they played he’s better than Egan now. Egan is very good in a 3 man defence. In a 2 man defence him and JoC are not at a top club level.

Fuck me. Are you genuinely saying that Branthwaite is better than Egan?!

They paid 25m for Michael Keane.

It’s a bit of speculation.
yes some of those on the fringes will go but they won’t be raising the kind of monies we need to strengthen up front and make us more of a threat!
They might not even be a saleable asset and end up on loan!
I’m looking at this from the view that the only players assured to have genuine interest are those who have excelled. Wilder had said some will go to protect the club. That means those who we could lose for zero if we don’t act now.
None of the players we want to trade will stay in the premiership which means we will lose money on them ,championship at best and with money being tight in the EFL most likely they will be loans.

Ermm..... how have you worked that one out?

Agree with all this. Bash to Newcastle could appeal to him. Last move, to his origins, with a payday to boot .

Agree - the main considerations for Utd if he pushes for a move is (i) how much could they realise for him (33 years old, 12 months left on contract = not a huge amount), who would they replace him with and how much would that cost (iii) should they hold onto him for another year and let him go on a free next summer

My suggestions-
I would be gutted.

Egan to Everton £16m? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hahaha - it was that kid's debut as well. He was shaky at first but then settled. Not sure he quite performed at the level to conclude he's already better than Egan though :)

And this was just a week after making his debut off the bench v Wolves. The very first thing he did was give away a free kick. The second thing he did was being beaten to a header from that resulting free-kick which went straight in to make it 2-0.

But nope, because Everton then beat us a week later he's better than John Egan now.

[/QUOTE]

I would think even in his last year hes worth more if Nathan Ake is going for 35m despite playing 30 games having 2 goals and 4 clean sheets when Egan also has 2 goals and 14 clean sheets.

If and its a big IF Egan does go I can see it being part of a deal such as bringing DCL back the other way. I certainly dont see him leaving in a straight cash deal tbh.

Back
Top Bottom