Which first team player were/are you most like as a youngster?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Always wanted to be Billy Dearden...
but the reality was Michael Higdon's lunch!

Eddie Colquhoun/Paul Stancliffe/Sean Murphy/Chris Morgan. Except much better looking. I could find the woods at Graves park with every pass. Ball often ended up down at Woodseats. But I'd always score when going up for corners.....

Oli McBurnie, lanky and looks awkward playing football, has the odd purple patch but in reality chips in with about 5 goals a year on average, probably loves drinking and watching footy more than actually playing the game

Martin Pike.

Played left back for years without scoring but when I eventually did, I got a handful with a couple of belters.

All I could ever do was pass and nothing else, but I was decent at it though often unappreciated for it. So I guess Leon Britton was my best fit?

In terms of our team, probably a nasty Sander Berge. Big, slow but took great pleasure in giving other people a bloody good kicking.

Outside of our team, probably Marouane Fellaini. Reasonably adept anywhere other than out wide but equally big, slow and turns like a tanker.

At the age of 18, I was playing midweek floodlit league, Sunday league, and Rugby on a Saturday.
Of course the pro game is another level completely, but I made up for a lack of talent, with 100% endeavor.

I was a lot like Ben Osborn.

I was moved from full back to midfield because we had excellent but lazy footballers in the middle, and my effort and work rate contributed to our success. I was a typical midfield dynamo. No great skill but always harassed and ran my socks of, allowing real talent to shine.

Who were/are you most like?

That sounds very much like me. I was the Bob Booker of our team.

In my later years I played ice-hockey as well as football, and played footie more like Tie Domi. Whereas I played ice hockey like Jurgen Klinsmann

Foderingham - slightly undersized goalkeeper but didn't let it phase me. Pretty awful with my feet though

Rob Kozluk. Flying wingback but i could play left OR right back as i was equally shit with both feet. I was constantly in bother for fucking about. Eventually got kicked out of team just for pissing in someone's water bottle, they then won the league and some shitty regional cup, im not bitter at all 😒

From todays team : Norwood. From when I was younger : Kevin Arnott

My passing skills have always been my best attribute, got a wand of a left foot 🤣 and unlike many professional footballers, I'm pretty decent with my right too. Once scored twice in a game, both outside box into top bins, one with my left and one with my right.

Ask Large Mendonca about my 'Pele-esque' rolled pass assist at forum footie a few years ago 🤣

And just like Norwood, I've got zero pace, especially these days. Not brilliant at tackling either.

McBurnie, though I failed the audition for the role of Captain Birdseye.

Attitude of Monty, aggression of Morgan, ability of err....err.....errr.. I dunno I was pretty crap but enjoyed it.

Ask Large Mendonca about my 'Pele-esque' rolled pass assist at forum footie a few years ago 🤣
Nope don't remember that one 😂 You did have a decent left peg though, as I remember......

I always wanted to be Tom McAllister (pre broken leg) pulling miraculous saves out of nowhere. Nowadays i'm more like Tom Cobley.

If Morgs has a bigger uglier older brother, that’s me. Also a bit like Ched, dodgey birds stopped me playing in my prime.

just taking a wild assumption from your username, but arent you most similar to rob kozluk, in terms of Genealogy?

Well, granted.

But saying "I'm like me Dad" doesn't adequately convey how crap I am at football, so I had go further.

From 1973 to 1978, I was the keeper for my school from u12s to 1st team. I think I was more like Hodgkinson. Small but acrobatic, prefer to punch crosses than catching them and my goal kicks werent good and I would prefer to throw the balls to either full backs rather than taking drop kicks. In my last year at school 1978/79, I played at either wings or was the sub. Not quick or strong, but I could cross the ball at times, I was similar when playing for Sheffield deaf between 1979 and 1981 so maybe David Frain. From 1981 to the mid 1980s, I played more centrally and my long range shooting improved so maybe like an overweight Gary Brazil

Butch Wilkins …….
Ponced around in midfield, generally passing sideways.

Sunbed tan, sleeves rolled up and slick dark hair gelled back (I’d generally just got in from Josies 😎)

Back
Top Bottom