Where has our fans passion gone?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The passion for me went a few years ago .
I went 32 years not missing a home game and have attended 309 different grounds . I've seen the blades allover Europe pre-season.
We have the most loyal hard-core fans and I know most .
Sadly we've lost
Chris booth
Granty
Herman
Tuffs
Sunny
Shred
Lester
Dodger
Iron bar jack
Granny
I could go on and on .
We supported our club everywhere when we were dog shit thru bad divisions . Football has sadly changed , we don't visit Springfield Park Wigan, or Manor ground Oxford etc etc anymore like ayresome Park Middlesbrough or roker Park Sunderland true football grounds not stadiums and built in the community ..
Reading died the day it moved from elm Park to the plastic stadium.
Its like the blades moving to Waverley complex ...fuk that.
To me the blades have and had every opportunity to establish themselves in the prem a league I detest its an elite league but Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton can be be a major part of it with shit crowds .
My attitude now is if the board give no fuk then beirher do I.
Some names there. Granty was a diamond great send off and good drink in turf tavern after .. D’ was ok if he liked ya but could be a bully for young ens. Big Keith bull was also a good pal of mine another gone far too soon. Think lester is still the name tho even today

Can somebody please point out what we're supposed to chant and sing about?
The fact that we've shipped 15 goals in the last 3 games, should explain exactly where the atmosphere has gone.
We arrive in good spirits, but its like being punched in the stomach over and over.
I'm not sure who to blame for it eather, is it the Prince for being a shite owner?
Is it Wilder for not having the ability to manage these players?
Is it the players, have they just given up??
Is it Heckys fault, for allowing us to get into this state due to his recruitment??
Do we blame the refs or VAR??
I think we all accept that we're down, I don't think any of us expected us to storm the league this season did we?...., but what we do expect is the players to play for the shirt, and currently, they just aren't, and having 1 good performance in every 6 games just doesn't cut it, not in this league, not at this club!
If the players want atmosphere, they are the catalyst for it!
I honestly don't care if we lose every game until we go down, that doesn't bother me, it's not my preference, but I don't mind, aslong as the players try, and make a go of it, not just rolling over week in, week out, which is totally unacceptable.
I know we were a man down v Brighton, but we weren't 2 weeks ago, and both games we had 5 put past us!! 5! That's unacceptable!
The club needs a total overhaul, weve had a good run, weve had success, weve enjoyed the ride, but, its over!
We need new owners, new investment, new players and new ideas.
So, what can we do..........?
We turn up, we get behind the players, we sing the chip butty, and the whistle blows.........now its over to the players......give us something to sing about, give us something to cheer for, give us what we pay for, and we WILL give you an atmosphere, carry on dropping your heads, you'll lose more than just games, you will lose the fans!

I give no flying fuk about this ultra shit that's sadly being creating by young uns at alot of clubs.
We are blades men .
What I'd like to see is around bramall lane , London road , graffiti, murals etc on all buildings as they do abroad showing folk about our club our history , about like hendos relish .
Away clubs would understand our passion . It's our area .. from the train station upwards wud be amazing if every building had a blades image on it .
The club banned flags why???? Get the ground full of them

25k + turning up to each game to see us get battered at home, I'd say our fans are bloody brilliant.
I agree on that,but unfortunately we are sat waiting,after a good start to the game for the opposition to go upfield,for our defence/midfield to drop a bollock and they score,repeat within 10 minutes. The players heads drop and so do ours. A third goes in and the stadium empties . Our support is loyal,rowdy,substantial and forgiving over the years but the shocking club maintenance from this season gives no one any heart to sing,intimidate and be a different person from home life.

The club's over zealous monitoring of younger supporters hasn't helped. Not allowed to stand together, no pyros, they've lost interest. Younger fans have always started the chants and everyone else used to join in. It's become sanitised and boring.
One ticket per person, split everyone up so that they are conscious that they are sitting next to a stranger.
Some go looking for their mates so that they can get something going and our woke fans report them, get the stewards involved and get half the kop shut down.

All sly new regulations that Sheffield City Council started enforcing on United, nobody else of course, just United. A deliberate ploy to get United fans set against each other because for a while we looked like we were going to be undisputed top dogs.
Whilst missiles get thrown, and racist chants emanate from that shithole up the road, Bramall Lane has been turned into a place where even standing to get something out of your pocket is frowned upon and reported. Actually making any noise is tut tutted away until it dies by the goody twoshoes, compliant mob that our fanbase seems to have attracted.

VAR has killed atmosphere at all premier league grounds. Pointless getting up to celebrate when three minutes later the goal is ruled out.
the same applies to fouls or any incident which used to generate a response from the crowd as it is likely to be curtailed by Var.

the game as entertainment and subsequently something which generates crowd enthusiasm is unfortunately being eroded.
We have, obviously, little to get excited about this season. But I agree with you, it seems that there is a developing malaise with football generally. Maybe it’s coincidence, but when I’ve been watching football on tv the number of times there are huge numbers of fans leaving once their team are a couple of goals down. I know this has always happened, but it seems more common and in greater numbers than before. There are only a few teams actually playing for something (be that at the top and bottom of the leagues). Meanwhile the authorities continue to find ways to take the continuity and excitement out of the game.

I think this hapless team and their lily livered performances have reached a tipping point with most of the fans. Yes, it is the club we turn up to support, but I really feel this group of players have ruined that relationship now…Fuck em.

I've come to the conclusion most of the players are as thick as shit, I can accept young players making mistakes but seasoned pro's are dropping the same bollocks week after week. Does it bother me when we get beat yeah sure it does but the annoying thing right now teams are coming to the lane and not really having to work to get a win never mind score five goals. One decent performance every six or so games is just not acceptable in any division.
It's not only the above that bothers me the whole matchday experience is shite Garyoke's build up to kick off is utter crap same every game, turning the PA volume to max and playing video clips on the screen is cringe worthy as is the cue to sing the Greasy chip butty it's self a crap and uninspiring anthem. No chants come from the kop or anywhere half a hour before kick off all we get is a desultory response to the first song from the away end. The whole experience is leaving me cold and wondering why I do it. Why bother with a 20min drive to halfway tram stop then a 35/40min tram ride and then a 20 min walk to the ground often in pissing down rain. I could come and go by bus which is an hourly service or train and bus with all the waiting around for connections which don't always turn up, not an option when the kick off is at 8pm or when relying on public transport running a Sunday service. I'm coming round to the idea this will be my last season attending every game it really isn't worth £250 of my pension plus the cost of petrol/parking food and drink etc. Too much effort for so little return. ☹️☹️☹️

One ticket per person, split everyone up so that they are conscious that they are sitting next to a stranger.
Some go looking for their mates so that they can get something going and our woke fans report them, get the stewards involved and get half the kop shut down.

All sly new regulations that Sheffield City Council started enforcing on United, nobody else of course, just United. A deliberate ploy to get United fans set against each other because for a while we looked like we were going to be undisputed top dogs.
Whilst missiles get thrown, and racist chants emanate from that shithole up the road, Bramall Lane has been turned into a place where even standing to get something out of your pocket is frowned upon and reported. Actually making any noise is tut tutted away until it dies by the goody twoshoes, compliant mob that our fanbase seems to have attracted.
Yeah what happened with the pig doing the monkey impression that all went quiet?

By tampering with the game we all used to love, they are very close to killing the golden goose. VAR is sadly a little bit like Brexit, in theory very admirable idea, but in practice a logistical nightmare.

I can only speak for myself, but I have just completely lost interest in the game this season. The seeds were sewn during the last relegation but the excitement of promotion glossed over it temporarily.

Why have I lost interest? It's a combination of things really.

• The expectation that every game will end in humiliation.
  • VAR and generally shit/inconsistent officiating.
  • The ownership situation and our inability to compete financially.
  • The obscene inequity in the game, with just a handful of teams effectively bankrolling success.
  • A general feeling that we just aren't welcome at this level in the media.

Ironically the above should be a classic cocktail for a siege mentality, but it seems to having the opposite effect on me. Instead of running towards the battle, I now find myself turning away and not wanting to watch.

Fucking wank really.

Just about every game at Bramall Lane this season if The Blades v the opponents the referee the linesmen and fucking var. opponent players take ages to take set pieces,can't ever take a proper corner from the right place. falling every two minutes trying to con the ref etc. Var is the worst takes a good 5 min then the ref takes another 3 min to decide looking at the monitor in front of the John St stand. this is getting rather boring, no wonder there is no atmosphere. were are getting thrashed as well.

The PL with VAR, diving, cheating opponents, constant rule changes etc is all really shit. Just as it was in the season we finished 9th. It didn't bother me that much then, but it does now for some reason.

We say that older fans refuse to give up their seats like they have choice. If the club tells them to move, they'd have to move. You have no right to keep your season ticket in the same seat, you have no right to keep sitting in your group.

So many grounds around the country have whole stands that stand all game, whether they are supposed to be seated or safe standing areas.

Can somebody please point out what we're supposed to chant and sing about?
The fact that we've shipped 15 goals in the last 3 games, should explain exactly where the atmosphere has gone.
We arrive in good spirits, but its like being punched in the stomach over and over.
I'm not sure who to blame for it eather, is it the Prince for being a shite owner?
Is it Wilder for not having the ability to manage these players?
Is it the players, have they just given up??
Is it Heckys fault, for allowing us to get into this state due to his recruitment??
Do we blame the refs or VAR??
I think we all accept that we're down, I don't think any of us expected us to storm the league this season did we?...., but what we do expect is the players to play for the shirt, and currently, they just aren't, and having 1 good performance in every 6 games just doesn't cut it, not in this league, not at this club!
If the players want atmosphere, they are the catalyst for it!
I honestly don't care if we lose every game until we go down, that doesn't bother me, it's not my preference, but I don't mind, aslong as the players try, and make a go of it, not just rolling over week in, week out, which is totally unacceptable.
I know we were a man down v Brighton, but we weren't 2 weeks ago, and both games we had 5 put past us!! 5! That's unacceptable!
The club needs a total overhaul, weve had a good run, weve had success, weve enjoyed the ride, but, its over!
We need new owners, new investment, new players and new ideas.
So, what can we do..........?
We turn up, we get behind the players, we sing the chip butty, and the whistle blows.........now its over to the players......give us something to sing about, give us something to cheer for, give us what we pay for, and we WILL give you an atmosphere, carry on dropping your heads, you'll lose more than just games, you will lose the fans!
Did you go to games last season? The atmosphere was shit and we got a record points total in the Championship.

Woke? 🤣

We have, obviously, little to get excited about this season. But I agree with you, it seems that there is a developing malaise with football generally. Maybe it’s coincidence, but when I’ve been watching football on tv the number of times there are huge numbers of fans leaving once their team are a couple of goals down. I know this has always happened, but it seems more common and in greater numbers than before. There are only a few teams actually playing for something (be that at the top and bottom of the leagues). Meanwhile the authorities continue to find ways to take the continuity and excitement out of the game.

I think the Premier League would quite happily tell us that the worldwide viewing figures are at a record high, but it would be very interesting to see UK viewing figures and how they compare to 20 years ago. It may be the age group I'm in, or just something that's only really affected my specific social group, but I'm convinced people are only watching a fraction of the Premier League football that they used to.

It just isn't as interesting any more, and it doesn't seem to have that same feeling when you sit down and switch on a big Super Sunday game. Maybe there are just too many games now? VAR has obviously killed it in a big way as well.

I think this season has knocked the stuffing out of us, as simple as that.

We’ve had worse teams many times times but I can’t think for f a season I’ve enjoyed less.

Seeng your team get hampered constantly would effect any fanbase and ours is no different.

It’s nigh on impossible for a group of younger lads or lasses to get seats all together, let alone try and generate an atmosphere. Until we get a substantial safe standing section, the atmosphere will remain up and down.

The overcrowding at the back of the kop had to be addressed, but it was, groups of people wanting to stand near each other. The atmosphere was improved because of it.
Replicate that properly, like with safe standing, or blocks of unreserved seats and it will heal itself.

I think the only thing that could solve it is a safe standing section (ideally on the Kop) where like-minded fans could gather. But the club seems to have shown almost no interest in implementing one, despite there being widespread support for it across other clubs.

Safe standing may give fans a bit of help in creating the conditions for a better atmosphere, and hopefully we may see that in the future, but it’s not by itself a magic bullet that would solve all the issues raised here about actually generating the atmosphere we want. One of the challenges here in raising this with the club is that by and large they approach it purely as a safety issue, when really it needs to be part of a bigger conversation about how to support the atmosphere.

Hopefully it’s something that the new Fan Advisory Board can have a look at – though if the club were to say look at ways other than unreserved seating to more easily allow groups of friends to sit in the same areas, that would mean a willingness from a good number to leave seats they’ve likely had for years. On talking to STHs about moving seats though, the club probably still feels its hands being burnt a little when it removed that number in the South Stand 5 years ago.

Unreserved seating can do a lot.

I went to a Donny Rovers game earlier this season and they had 6,000 fans rattling around a 15k capacity stadium but the atmosphere was decent (arguably better than some at the Lane recently) because the stand behind one goal has no seat numbers on the tickets, so all their hardcore support who want to sing can stand together up the back - along with a bloke with a bass drum, which whatever your thoughts on that certainly makes a small crowd sound louder.

I can only speak for myself, but I have just completely lost interest in the game this season. The seeds were sewn during the last relegation but the excitement of promotion glossed over it temporarily.

Why have I lost interest? It's a combination of things really.

• The expectation that every game will end in humiliation.
  • VAR and generally shit/inconsistent officiating.
  • The ownership situation and our inability to compete financially.
  • The obscene inequity in the game, with just a handful of teams effectively bankrolling success.
  • A general feeling that we just aren't welcome at this level in the media.

Ironically the above should be a classic cocktail for a siege mentality, but it seems to having the opposite effect on me. Instead of running towards the battle, I now find myself turning away and not wanting to watch.

Fucking wank really.

The acceptance of all the above could be put down to the players and manager.
Warnock in his prime wouldn't have stood by and watched it happen without a fight, and Bramall Lane in those days was bedlam at some games because as well as winding the players up for the challenge he also wound the fans up to hysterical levels.

That siege mentality is generated by objecting to the unfairness of it all, not quietly accepting it

I went to a Donny Rovers game earlier this season and they had 6,000 fans rattling around a 15k capacity stadium but the atmosphere was decent (arguably better than some at the Lane recently) because the stand behind one goal has no seat numbers on the tickets, so all their hardcore support who want to sing can stand together up the back - along with a bloke with a bass drum, which whatever your thoughts on that certainly makes a small crowd sound louder.
A drum !!!!!!!!!
Do you really think South Yorkshire Police are going to allow someone to bring a drum into a football stadium...........ooo errr hang on

Why is it always a drum though? Can't we do something different, a xylophone or a ukulele perhaps?

A lot is down to phones, so many people don’t even watch the game, just go on their phones checking bets, scores etc.
Some are obsessed with checking pig score every 5 minutes, or seeing if there bets coming in.

The acceptance of all the above could be put down to the players and manager.
Warnock in his prime wouldn't have stood by and watched it happen without a fight, and Bramall Lane in those days was bedlam at some games because as well as winding the players up for the challenge he also wound the fans up to hysterical levels.

That siege mentality is generated by objecting to the unfairness of it all, not quietly accepting it

I agree. Sadly I have accepted it, as I don't have the energy to push back anymore.

It can't be related to winning, as we won most weeks last season and the atmosphere was still bobbar. It's deeper than that.

For me I think it's at least partly down to the fact that it feels like we peaked in 2019/20 (and everything else since has felt a bit shit), but we never experienced what we deserved. It almost feels like that was the one chance for us to actually do something and it's sods law that it was robbed from us, so there won't be another chance and it's the same old mediocrity from now on.
I think, having to sit there and helplessly watch our beloved team dry bummed every week doesn’t help. But the fact we the fans can’t really agree on who to blame for this debacle is a biggest double whammy of all. Any kind of protest against the absentee owner, absentee chairman, the CEO is really a futile gesture, and blaming managers (past and present) as well as the hapless players is only counter productive to cause.
So we’re stuck…stuck in a malaise of accepting our fate and waiting for a sugar daddy to come and save us…All makes for a good atmosphere eh?

Back
Top Bottom