When will football come back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When do you think football will be back in this country

• May

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • June

Votes: 87 22.3%
  • July

Votes: 54 13.8%
  • August

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • September

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • October or later..

Votes: 92 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The more appropriate question for this thread would be, when will be safe and sensible for social distancing and isolation to be reduced?

Yep finance before health not unexpected. The peak of the epidemic is currently forecast to hit the UK in June. Prior to June social distancing measures have been put in place and are likely to become even more draconian in the coming weeks.

Individuals and that includes everyone in football are required to self isolate for in most cases 14 days if they either come into contact with someone diagnosed with Covid 19 or display flu like symptoms. Completing one self isolation period does not mean you are immune unless you contracted the virus yourself and even then there is limited knowledge currently as to how long that immunity lasts.

By exposing yourself to other groups of people you are increasing the risk of continual self isolation. The recent example being Arsenal players who placed themselves in isolation for 7 days because of exposure to the Greek Chairman and then had to do it all over again when Arteta contracted it.

It is hard to see anything other than chaos if there is an attempt to play games in the next few months even behind closed doors as teams have to continually pull out of games as self isolation impacts.

We have already seen the likes of Klopp, Ancellotti and others coming out and saying now is not the time to consider football when potentially large numbers of people will be affected including footballs own families. There is likely to be a backlash from Management and players if this is forced through.

The football authorities should follow the advice of the medical experts. As they are a business it is understandable that they have financial concerns but seeking financial aid from Governments would seem to be a better short term solution than a mish mash attempt to force a conclusion to all competitions when the experts say the time is not right.

I don't see why it can't be behind closed doors, it would give the country a much needed moral boost if they showed a couple of behind closed doors Premier League matches on TV every night.

Players might catch Coronavirus, but the match can just be called off if it's half the team out.

I imagine one of the reasons that behind closed doors is off the table is down to the inevitable crowds that would gather.

If Liverpool were to win a game that clinches the league title, the streets would be filled with jubilant fans and would almost certainly spike the Corona curve as opposed to flattening it.

There might be a small summer window to finish the games behind closed doors but does anyone want that? And even then it just takes one person at a club to shut it down again.

Next march would not shock me.

lockdown over by the end of May.. possibly but only if the country has become so bored it’s willing to accept 80 year olds dying by the hundred each day just to get the rest of life back under way.

Knowing this country it may well be willing to accept that.

No chance they can sustain this for more than a month or two.

It looks like they want to try and flatten the peak out till summer when hopefully the NHS will be under less strain, they have better testing, some workable treatments and warm weather slows it down.

If that fails they'll be making tough life and death decisions.

There might be a small summer window to finish the games behind closed doors but does anyone want that? And even then it just takes one person at a club to shut it down again.

Next march would not shock me.

I said a re-start of this season same time next year and I was laughed at but even that may be tough.

Until there is a vaccine this thing will go on for 18 months at least. The really serious social isolation will really kick in April to July I think...maybe longer.

There is no way as a fan we are seeing a ball kicked in a stadium for at least a year as much as that is inconceivable to some.

I hope I am wrong.

Anything after June will have huge consequences due to sky payments. If it’s not close to being finished I don’t see them making the payments or asking for a reduction in amount.

Agreed one way another they’ll be finishing the season off suspect teams will be going into total isolation and the games will be played behind closed doors all to avoid the financial penalties

Every team will need a kind of pre-season to get going again after taking so long off in terms of actual match practice/sharpness time..im reckoning late summer into autumn and theyll finish it behind closed doors.

Look at Italy , it’s over for a long time . This is going to take years to get over , and some won’t be around to see it if it does start again !
People don’t realize this is a life changing event , no one is moving in China , do u know why ? Because if they do it will all start again , until we have found a vaccine (1 and half to 2 years) we’re doing nowt

There will be no football as a spectator sport in UK until October 2020 at the very earliest.
August 2021 is more likely.
The remaining games of this season could be played, as a last resort, at the back end of this year, but only behind closed doors, which is a highly unsatisfactory option.

Anyone who thinks football might be played in front of fans before October 2020 needs to buy new marbles.

As others have pointed out, the virus control should dictate the answers, not football fans, clubs or those with financial interests.

Who says 30th June is the deadline? o_O

After reading it again, I’m not sure it’s a fixed deadline there might be room to push it back slightly. The problem will be the impact on Euro 2021 and the World Cup if it goes back further.

There is also the issue of players contracts. What if Man U won’t let us keep Henderson past 30th June? Or an out of contract player doesn’t agree to extend for however long is required to complete the season? You lose the integrity of the season.

There are very large TV contracts to consider and the threat of having to give that money back if the season is not finished. Therefor the season will be finished somehow. Even if finished later in the year.

Integrity of football seasons v the survival of life. Not even a debate for crying out loud.

I’m struggling to see how playing football behind closed doors is going to increase the risk of deaths in this country.

The players and staff (Roy Hodgson aside) are in the low risk category so aren’t going to die from coronavirus.

It isn't. But who wants behind closed doors football? People are stupid and will gather outside the grounds. It is a non starter. Sport is so far down the list of things we need to give a fuck about. I feel daft even being on here to be honest.

It isn't. But who wants behind closed doors football? People are stupid and will gather outside the grounds. It is a non starter. Sport is so far down the list of things we need to give a fuck about. I feel daft even being on here to be honest.

No football for 6 months or behind closed doors football? I know which the majority of football fans will choose.

What about the moral and mental health of the nation? We can’t go to pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. no sport is on the TV. People can only watch Netflix for so long!

This isn’t China, the novelty of isolating will soon wear off, how long before people start thinking “fuck it, I’m going out anyway”?

I imagine one of the reasons that behind closed doors is off the table is down to the inevitable crowds that would gather.

If Liverpool were to win a game that clinches the league title, the streets would be filled with jubilant fans and would almost certainly spike the Corona curve as opposed to flattening it.

Police on the streets. Like France. Arrest them if they congregate outside the ground.

Police on the streets. Like France. Arrest them if they congregate outside the ground.

Which will put added and avoidable strain on public services. Police, Paramedics & Hospitals. Unfortunately for the 10%, 90% of football fans are morons.

30th June seems the logical deadline due to player contracts.

Many players are due to sign for new clubs on 1st July, or at least leave their current clubs on 30th June.

Pigs for example, half their squad is out of contract in July, if their season hasn't been completed, how would they be able to? Players will say - I'm off, my contract is done

EastEnders suspending filming and only on twice a week instead of the 5 or 6 or whatever it is. They have months already filmed and are cutting broadcasting so there is many more months to air. Anyone who thinks football is coming back any time soon needs to have a quick look at what is actually being put in place

But who wants behind closed doors football?
Nobody. But to complete the season and keep people happy, behind closed doors will have to do.
Everybody pondering wtf is going to happen? Will any 'promises' about resumption or what will happen to this season be kept? Or crack on with it at the earliest opportunity and at least give people their TV fix.

I’m struggling to see how playing football behind closed doors is going to increase the risk of deaths in this country.

The players and staff (Roy Hodgson aside) are in the low risk category so aren’t going to die from coronavirus.

Any game which takes place (behind closed doors or otherwise) requires Emergency Services to be there. Why would the Government allow an already close to breaking point NHS/Ambulance Service to be at a game in case a player is injured. They could be elsewhere helping the country fight this virus and provide necessary services to those who are desperately in need.

I picked August but honestly, I couldn't give a shit when it returns, we need to suppress this virus first and foremost and if that means no football or any other sport then so be it.

I also don't think the NHS should test any football club for the virus, again, it's not a priority, if the club wants checking out then they should pay privately like some "celebs" are doing. Don't put any unnecessary strain on our healthcare system.

EastEnders suspending filming and only on twice a week instead of the 5 or 6 or whatever it is. They have months already filmed and are cutting broadcasting so there is many more months to air. Anyone who thinks football is coming back any time soon needs to have a quick look at what is actually being put in place

Fucking hell! Just when we need Eastenders the most, for once the story lines are more cheerful than real life!

Fucking hell! Just when we need Eastenders the most, for once the story lines are more cheerful than real life!

I watched the walking dead the other day and it cheered me up. At least we won't turn into zombies ( that we know of)

Bored already when can you see Football returning .. ?
Difficult to know what you mean by “returning”? Do you mean live games with supporters in attendance? If so I think September.

If you mean resuming of the league fixtures, I think May. With end of June finish.

Back
Top Bottom