When Saturday Comes...the filming of.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
Was talking to my old man about this over a pint the other day. I just wondered how many of you like us were sad enough to go down to BDTBL that night for the filming of the game against Man United?. We like many more read the article in The Star asking for volunteers and made our way down there. They move us from one end of the stand to the other and then on to another stand and stuff. The only highlight of that evening was when Mel Sterland ran out from the tunnel and went arse over tits in front of a very appreciative and supportive United crowd! :D

'Twas there ,how could a true blade miss being in a Hollywood blockbuster !

The most embarrassing film up until The Full Monty.

Utterly bollocks. Nailmakers Arms up at Backmoor was on it though. And the John O'Gaunt was in TFM as well.

And Gaunt Road (where I was born in the maisonettes) and Ironside maisonettes (where I did much of my growing up) was in This Is England 86.

WSC was cack though. Sean Bean needs cuprinolling.

pommpey

I wasn't at the ground but knew a few of the lads who played for Hallam in the film...love the scene where he walks down Halifax Road into the White Horse(?) flat cap, whippet an't lot!

Genius

The most embarrassing film up until The Full Monty.

Utterly bollocks. Nailmakers Arms up at Backmoor was on it though. And the John O'Gaunt was in TFM as well.

And Gaunt Road (where I was born in the maisonettes) and Ironside maisonettes (where I did much of my growing up) was in This Is England 86.

WSC was cack though. Sean Bean needs cuprinolling.

pommpey

I was watching This is England '86 over here recently and said to my wife: "That's bringing back memories; my school gym was just like that." She said: "Did you go to Gladys Buxton because that's where it was filmed." I was amazed.

I was watching This is England '86 over here recently and said to my wife: "That's bringing back memories; my school gym was just like that." She said: "Did you go to Gladys Buxton because that's where it was filmed." I was amazed.

This is England '86..... only Sheffield could provide a backdrop in 2010 for a film based in 1986. More embarrassing than WSC or TFM.

Bloody hell - it is too! Watching it on YouTube just now it looks like they've cleaned it up a bit since we were there.

Wonder if they ever managed to stop the changing rooms stinking of Benson & Hedges or whether they managed to find the mythical hole that was supposed to let you see into the girls changing room...

All the school stuff was filmed at GB because they'll demolished my old school at Gleadless Valley in 1994.

The bit where the lad is confronted by the FS1E casuals is bang opposite where I was born on Gaunt Road. They've demolished those maisonettes, but the identical ones on Ironside were used for the interior shots.

Much of that region was bi-partisan Blade/Owl territory.

pommpey

Are you of the old school LE?

I left in 79.

pommpey
Lived on a few council estates growing up 60s 70s Norfolk Park , Arbourthorne, Jordanthorpe.
Lot of good mates off the Valley they use to come to Rowlinson Youth Club early 70s
Had a right battle with one of the called Wombat who was a Blade after it we were mates for years.
Remember Ian Sen his dad run the Cuttlers also Gibby he used to go in the Nailmakers
Good lads

I knew Seni at school. Wombat was possibly one of the Williams lads. Ian was the Human League's fan club fixer back in the day and unfortunately not with us having died young. Glyn was in my year at school and a battler. You did not mess with the Williamses.

I played for the Cutlers Arms - I have posted a picture a bit back of me receiving our end of season awards with Geoff Salmons outside the Cutlers.

Here's us in Herdings Park, one bleak Sunday around 1975.

Cutlers Arms U13s 1975.jpg

pommpey

Lived on a few council estates growing up 60s 70s Norfolk Park , Arbourthorne, Jordanthorpe.
Lot of good mates off the Valley they use to come to Rowlinson Youth Club early 70s
Had a right battle with one of the called Wombat who was a Blade after it we were mates for years.
Remember Ian Sen his dad run the Cuttlers also Gibby he used to go in the Nailmakers
Good lads

They were good lads and a time when life was interesting following the blades , especially on Shoreham Street .

Sheffield Council never liked SUFC or any of the strongholds , Money for regeneration always finnished up in Foxhill , Wisewood , Parsons Cross.

UTB

S
I knew Seni at school. Wombat was possibly one of the Williams lads. Ian was the Human League's fan club fixer back in the day and unfortunately not with us having died young. Glyn was in my year at school and a battler. You did not mess with the Williamses.

I played for the Cutlers Arms - I have posted a picture a bit back of me receiving our end of season awards with Geoff Salmons outside the Cutlers.

Here's us in Herdings Park, one bleak Sunday around 1975.

View attachment 10170

pommpey
Yes Ian Williams was Wombat I knew Gary Williams as well he could go a bit as well
You are more our kids age you'll know the other Senny Paul Senior, Mark Platts, Bob Carlisle
All piggies

S

Yes Ian Williams was Wombat I knew Gary Williams as well he could go a bit as well
You are more our kids age you'll know the other Senny Paul Senior, Mark Platts, Bob Carlisle
All piggies

The town lads were Ted Bear , Roy Wybourn , Andy Smith , Billy Jeffcock ,

Bye they were interesting times ,

UTB

I was at both, I remember swapping hats with someone else as we moved down the stand for filming so that on the 'dribble' down the line we'd look different (hat, another hat, no hat)!

Couldn't tell...

S

All piggies

Ian died in 1980. He had 'problems'. I was in Plattsy's year (he played for Cutlers/Morland Juniors with us) Steve Senior played professional for York City (and gave away a penalty in the cup against Liverpool)

Up at Hemsworth, we were mainly Bladesmen.

Herdings and Bankwood were mainly the filth.

We used to battle with Rowlinson (usually losing) and with Newfield.

pommpey

The town lads were Ted Bear , Roy Wybourn , Andy Smith , Billy Jeffcock ,

Bye they were interesting times ,

UTB
Ted Bear he's dead
Roy Elliot's he works a lot abroad Steel Erector real hard lad.
Andy Smith mad fucker saw him at Sheffield Greyhounds just before Xmas he's looks about 90.
Mad Billy Jeffcock done a lot of time but he's working know
They were hardcore piggies early 70s

Ted Bear he's dead
Roy Elliot's he works a lot abroad Steel Erector real hard lad.
Andy Smith mad fucker saw him at Sheffield Greyhounds just before Xmas he's looks about 90.
Mad Billy Jeffcock done a lot of time but he's working know
They were hardcore piggies early 70s

Jeffcock's dad was also mad-crazy. His garage was adorned with political/conspiratorial slogans for the passing motorists to read (usually about the government, one I remember was about Rhodesia and had a hangman by the side of it)

He also owned that small pond in Oakes Park which was full of lazy carp and tench that would never bite.

pommpey

Jeffcock's dad was also mad-crazy. His garage was adorned with political/conspiratorial slogans for the passing motorists to read (usually about the government, one I remember was about Rhodesia and had a hangman by the side of it)

He also owned that small pond in Oakes Park which was full of lazy carp and tench that would never bite.

pommpey
That pond was hard to catch I'd like to have a pop now though I'd empty it.

Me an all.

Mind I spent many hours floating crusts past their noses.

I never figured how that pond filled or emptied, or how those fish didn't die of oxygen dieback.

There and 3/4 of the way along the middle pond at Gravesy.

All the carp would sit there laughing at us.

pommpey
Them carp are still there in Graves
I took the grand kids during the summer fed them floating pellets put a hook in them even hair rig em they'd turn their noses at them

Back
Top Bottom