When Saturday Comes...the filming of.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You're right about one of the toughest pubs in Britain, but it was The Link, but when it was filmed the Link had changed it's name to something else. We lived just above the l Link and used to chuck water filmed balloons on to the revellers when we were chabby's. We were about 6 storeys up. To be fair we were well behaved, some kids used to chuck tellys.

Wow! Be keen to see some of the footage if you still have it ;)

Memory not that great but some of those names definitely ring a bell, we lived on the Arbourthorne next to the playing fields, and I went to Norfolk School, left there in 1978.

I think most of them went to Norfolk School if not all of them Gabs. I know Dean and Mal lived in the Green block of flats opposite City Road Cem and the rest scattered around and near by. They used to drink down in the Captive Queen.

No m8, we were Park74 for a couple of years and then the landlord of the Scottish Queen where we used to meet offered to sponsor us. So around 77 we changed our name to the Scottish Queen. I always remember playing a team that had the ex SW player Jack Witham playing for them. He was literally on a different planet to us and scored about 5 I think. He was amazing to watch, just seemed to have so much time. One of our players called Shonky who was a bit of a hard nut decided to take him out. Jack said "why did you take me out the ball was yours?". "I wasn't after the ball, I was after you" He replied. Shonky was a Blade. :)
Jack came off after that, but we still got mullered.

I always remember playing a team that had the ex SW player Jack Witham playing for them. He was literally on a different planet to us and scored about 5 I think. He was amazing to watch, just seemed to have so much time.
Jack came off after that, but we still got mullered.
I remember seeing Jack Whitham score two goals for Wendy against Burnley in February 1970. A few months later he signed for Bill Shanly's liverpool but injuries ruined his career

Here is footage of the match when he scored a hat trick for Liverpool against Derby

Talking of rough pubs, the Jervis Lum at Arborthorne was a reet den of iniquity.
About 20 years ago, a blokes mate fell asleep on one of the bench seats. Thinking he was pissed, they arranged his arms in different ways, took the odd pic. etc.
He was dead. (Absolutely true).

In the early '90s, me and my mates used to stop in at the Cross Guns (Sharrow Lane) on the way to the match. It was rough then, but became Tuxedo Blue. Fuck!

S

Yes Ian Williams was Wombat I knew Gary Williams as well he could go a bit as well
You are more our kids age you'll know the other Senny Paul Senior, Mark Platts, Bob Carlisle
All piggies

No, Martin Williams was Wombat, an absolute hard case and built like a tank, can;t ever remember him losing a fight. Gary was the eldest, then Rita, then Martin, then Ian (RIP) and then Glynn.

Andrew Sen (Panda) lived at the Cutlers Pub, Paul Senior lived down near the Horse and Groom, Plattsy lived down there as well. Bob Carlisle was a late arrivall to the estate, did not grow up there. I was a true Gleadless Valley lad, born within the sound of "last orders" at the John O'Gaunt! Now if you want to talk about tough pubs, I would think that would be the starting point lol

Lings fair opposite the Water tower as well, the SPeedway and Waltzer playing chart songs and motown.

Jeffcocks garage, with all the slogans painted on in white emulsion, all to do with "Enoch Powell" and "Rhodesia",

The fishing ponds on Bagshaws land, Graves Park, Nailmakers pub, Gleadless Valley school.

Happy Days!!

No, Martin Williams was Wombat, an absolute hard case and built like a tank, can;t ever remember him losing a fight. Gary was the eldest, then Rita, then Martin, then Ian (RIP) and then Glynn.

Andrew Sen (Panda) lived at the Cutlers Pub, Paul Senior lived down near the Horse and Groom, Plattsy lived down there as well. Bob Carlisle was a late arrivall to the estate, did not grow up there. I was a true Gleadless Valley lad, born within the sound of "last orders" at the John O'Gaunt! Now if you want to talk about tough pubs, I would think that would be the starting point lol
Yes it was Martin we used to call him "Walt " we had a right pop outside Rowlinson School we were both 14yr old there were no winners but we battered each to fuck probably hardest fight I had as a young un.
But after we were mates for years used to see him regular at the match and up town good lad

This^

Grappler - knew everybody! :)

I bow to his knowledge, I left the Valley in 79 to join the navy. I knew I had some of that a bit wrong somehow.

pommpey

In the early '90s, me and my mates used to stop in at the Cross Guns (Sharrow Lane) on the way to the match. It was rough then, but became Tuxedo Blue. Fuck!

Yes, the Cross Guns was really rough in the 70's and 80's, a typical estate pub on the closest housing estate to the Lane. It was still rough when it was Tuxedo blue, then it was closed for ages, then it was a council daycare centre. It was up for sale at Christmas.

I remember going to an "early doors" lock-in there before we played Wednesday, as the game had an 11am kick off. The police raided the boozer and a near-riot developed.

Yes it was Martin we used to call him "Walt " we had a right pop outside Rowlinson School we were both 14yr old there were no winners but we battered each to fuck probably hardest fight I had as a young un.
But after we were mates for years used to see him regular at the match and up town good lad

Yes, "Walt" was another nick name of his. There was a story that around 1980, TV wrestler Giant Haystacks was sent to Sheffield to collect a debt, and ended up having words with Wombat in the Marples pub, Wombat knocked him out!

He used to hang around with my older brother, who was also a Rowlinson lad from the Gaunt area

This^

Grappler - knew everybody! :)

I bow to his knowledge, I left the Valley in 79 to join the navy. I knew I had some of that a bit wrong somehow.

pommpey

Blimey was it 79 you left the estate? Straight from school then? Time flies eh pal!

Blimey was it 79 you left the estate? Straight from school then? Time flies eh pal!

Yeah. Left GVSS Friday 25 May 79, joined the navy Tuesday 29 May 79. Four days unemployed then, and four more days last year between BAE Systems and rejoining the MoD as a lecturer.

Eight days without a job in 36 years. Didn't even sign on as well! I think I have paid for my ticket!

pommpey

Yeah. Left GVSS Friday 25 May 79, joined the navy Tuesday 29 May 79. Four days unemployed then, and four more days last year between BAE Systems and rejoining the MoD as a lecturer.

Eight days without a job in 36 years. Didn't even sign on as well! I think I have paid for my ticket!

pommpey

Nice one pal, do you remember Haggis from school, in my year, he ended up as a Helicopter pilot in the Navy, not sure what he does now, used to see him at the match but not for a few years since I switched seats.

Nice one pal, do you remember Haggis from school, in my year, he ended up as a Helicopter pilot in the Navy, not sure what he does now, used to see him at the match but not for a few years since I switched seats.

Steve Sharpe? Don't remember him being in the Navy. Only people in at the same time as me were David Tawn (for about five minutes) and Andy Fearnley (ended up as a Naval Policeman).

pommpey

Yes, the Cross Guns was really rough in the 70's and 80's, a typical estate pub on the closest housing estate to the Lane. It was still rough when it was Tuxedo blue, then it was closed for ages, then it was a council daycare centre. It was up for sale at Christmas.

I remember going to an "early doors" lock-in there before we played Wednesday, as the game had an 11am kick off. The police raided the boozer and a near-riot developed.

Nah the Guns was ok. I was asked to play footer for them back in the 80s and remember them using a PTI from the Army to take the pre season training session. Doing press ups with someone stood on your back was rather novel, but did enable us to last the full 90 minutes!

Used to have to go in to the pub to see if you were picked ( no mobiles then) so maybe I got used to the place. Yep a few original BBC went there but they weren't what I'd call rough. Tough lads, yes, and a few knew their way round a boxing ring or allegedly tested their skills at more 'informal' locations on West St or on away days, but you could have a conversation, especially about United.

If we are talking rough, I wandered into that Hen and Chickens place in town when pissed one afternoon and in all seriousness everyone either offered me shop lifted meat or offered me out for a fight... Stones was crap too!

Reactions: Dkc

pommpey

That's a good shift mate, respect

Back
Top Bottom